Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series is #17 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. PeerSpot users give Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series is most commonly compared to Dell Unity XT: Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series vs Dell Unity XT. Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series?

RETHINK YOUR DEFINITION OF SPEED AND PERFORMANCE

With adaptive, guaranteed data reduction and a 100% data-availability guarantee, Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F series helps you tackle complicated business challenges. Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) VSP F series delivers up to 4.8M IOPS with sub-millisecond response times.
Featuring legendary Hitachi reliability, VSP F series arrays are backed by the industries only 100% availability guarantee. For these reasons, 80% of the Fortune 500 choose Hitachi all-flash arrays to accelerate the performance of mission-critical applications like Oracle, SAP, Virtualization, Microsoft apps etc. With over 350 patents in flash technology, Hitachi’s innovative mix of flash hardware and software accelerates ROI with enterprise-class reliability and performance.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Customers

Turkcell, Owens Corning, Region Nord, Net Credit Financial Group (NFC Group), Russian Railways

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Video

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series pricing:
  • "It is cheap. It is not very expensive. If you decide to expand the system, the cost is pretty low as compared to other vendors, such as Dell."
  • "It is expensive as compared to other vendors, but its price is good if you are looking for stability, reliability, performance, and security."
  • "We pay for a support contract agreement."
  • Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Reviews

Engineer at Secretaria de Educacion del Gobierno del Estado de Mexico
    The setup is very easy to manage and configure
    • "The setup is very easy to manage and configure. The initial setup and takes one hour more or less."
    • "For the support windows to work, maybe they have to upgrade the firmware of the VSP. They changed the hardware or the disk. I don't know if it was the port blade they changed or a VM for a memory cache. Also, replacing the old target with the processor target would be fine. The old equipment is very easy to manage, and I don't have any bad commentary."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution in the data center of the office of Mexico's Secretary of Education. I work with different hosts. In this case, it had to be HP-UX, Linux, and Windows. I work with the entire family of Hitachi hardware, but for this case, I work with the CBS500 and CB2500 Blade. I use all kinds of software, like Command Director and Device Manager.

What needs improvement?

For the support windows to work, maybe they have to upgrade the firmware of the VSP. They changed the hardware or the disk. I don't know if it was the port blade they changed or a VM for a memory cache. Also, replacing the old target with the processor target would be fine. The old equipment is very easy to manage, and I don't have any bad commentary.

I have worked with this equipment for the last two years. When I worked before in Hitachi Data Systems, I worked for a data architect and designed complete solutions, so I have a lot of interaction with the clients.  I handle the solutions, the capacity of the disk, configuration, initial set up, definitions of the DP pools, assigning the volumes, creating the entire SAN, etc. Also, I manage the SAN switches. I worked for Pearson, Sonic, Mobiistar, Macromer, Mynorte, and Santander. Every time, I created the whole environment— all open and the mainframe in development. For example, at Ponavid, I created the whole solution, assigned the space, performed all the troubleshooting, as well as supported all the hardware and the performance.

Yes it's very scalable. For example, in the VSP, you can scale the capacity of the disk in-tray and also in the mid-range. In the VSP, the tray is a bit bigger obviously, and I think the disk is the same. And also when you escalate the new equipment, configuration is very easy as well.

August 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Dell Technologies, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: August 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

When I with work with Hitachi Vantara, I oversee the troubleshooting and support. I am the engineer who provides support, and so it's easy. Once we installed using the harddrive manager, when hardware failed.  Support created a case and assigned this to me and I am the engineer. I take the case and I have to take a solution to the client.

The setup is very easy to manage and configure. The initial setup and takes one hour more or less. And when I check the old disk and processor or the memory cache, I check the blade also. Next, I changed the disk, created the configuration, and installed the old disk. This takes maybe one hour extra. Depending on the performance of the old disk and the capacity, it could take maybe three or four hours. Sometimes, it takes eight. Then I created a SAN, a port, the host groups, the DP pools, and the dynamic provisioning. And for performance troubleshooting, I take a dump. For example, I check the read-write performance of the IO as well as the performance of the port, the workflow, the workload, and the memory cache.

It always depends on what technology you need. Because if you need a very fast flash disk, it's going to be more expensive obviously. But if you need a backup solution, it's fine, because the technology is advanced, but it fits in some cases.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Hitachi 10 out of 10.

Alexey Rogov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lean manager at Gazprombank
    It has good data optimization, compression, and deduplication
    • "Data optimization, compression, and deduplication are the most important features for us."
    • "I would like to see Hitachi improve their management software. It's been three years since they introduced Ops Center, their management product, and it still hasn't reached at least 50 percent of the capability we require. We are using legacy software because the product Hitachi offers does not stack up in functionality."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is a hybrid private cloud that includes generic server virtualization based on VMware ESXi. The second use case is workstation virtualization — virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI). The third is database systems with IBM Power and IBM IX logical partitions.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Hitachi improve their management software. It's been three years since they introduced Ops Center, their management product, and it still hasn't reached at least 50 percent of the capability we require. We are using legacy software because the product Hitachi offers does not stack up in functionality.

Hitachi should increase the number of possible functions Ops Center can perform. For example, it is impossible to manage any kind of storage replication using this product. All competing solutions provide that, but you need to install a separate solution to manage replication in Hitachi arrays. It was not the case with legacy software, but the current solution doesn't have that.

We've been using Hitachi VSP for about four years.

Hitachi VSP is stable in most cases, but we've had a few hiccups with the storage firmware.

Hitachi VSP scales pretty well, but it generally depends on storage costs. The high-end arrays have huge scalability limits. Generally, we are limited mainly by the array controllers' performance, not the array's capacity limits.

Our environment is massive. We have approximately 15,000 users for virtual desktop solutions, about 16,000 email users, and approximately 6,000 to 7,000 servers running on VMware platforms. We also have a few hundred logical partitions on IBM Power servers.

We regularly contact Hitachi technical support. The idea of a storage array is that it's broken up into many small pieces of storage. Each piece may fail, and they do from time to time. Therefore, we typically have to open five or six cases every month for mundane tasks like replacing failed disk drives. That's typical for any customer using storage on a large scale.

Those are minor cases, but storage controller failures are more serious, and we see three or four every year. We also have two or three performance-related cases each year.

We're a relatively large customer, so we do not perform installation ourselves. Service partners typically perform it. We have three people managing the storage, three working with the storage area network, and five handling the backups.

All the software licenses are bundled with the storage hardware. I'm not the purchasing guy, so I do not negotiate prices. When the company makes a purchasing decision, I only provide the technical requirements. The price is a question for the purchasing department.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Hitachi VSP seven out of 10. Generally, I wouldn't recommend Hitachi VSP to a customer without a background in storage systems. Solid technical expertise is needed to use these storage solutions on a medium or a large scale.

August 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Paolo Brega - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Developer Manager & Marketing Manager at TAI Software Solution
    It is inexpensive, flexible, and absolutely reliable, and their support is excellent
    • "It is very flexible, and it is very useful when you want to virtualize different storage from different vendors."
    • "In terms of ransomware, Pure Storage is probably a couple of steps ahead of Hitachi, but Hitachi does not rush in terms of features. They want to be really sure that the hardware works properly without any kind of problem in new environments, and the implementation or improvement does not affect the customer installation. They really want to make sure that customers are not affected in any way."

What is most valuable?

It is absolutely reliable.

What needs improvement?

In terms of ransomware, Pure Storage is probably a couple of steps ahead of Hitachi, but Hitachi does not rush in terms of features. They want to be really sure that the hardware works properly without any kind of problem in new environments, and the implementation or improvement does not affect the customer installation. They really want to make sure that customers are not affected in any way.

They should support the real Metro Cluster also for the small systems.

We started to work with this storage about two years ago.

It is very stable. We have had just one failure on a disk, but due to the protection, we didn't lose any data.

It can scale a lot, much more than our needs.

We have had only one instance when we had the disk failure, and we received some calls from them asking about the instance and applying a new update. They were very good.

Their support team is absolutely on top of my list due to their knowledge and effectiveness. They can really assist you in any case. If you need any assistance with the configuration, they will be able to assist you. I would rate them a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We had another Hitachi system. I don't remember the model, but it was hybrid storage.

It is pretty simple. I would rate it a four out of five in terms of ease.

It is cheap. It is not very expensive. If you decide to expand the system, the cost is pretty low as compared to other vendors, such as Dell.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very flexible solution. If we consider the Hitachi brand with other storage brands, it is on the top of the list. We are very satisfied with its stability, reliability, and affordability.

Any organization deciding to put in place a Hitachi storage solution is doing the right thing. It is probably not the best, but it is absolutely the right solution. They will forget all the problems connected to storage. That's because it works very well, and their support is also very good.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Product Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    A resilient solution with good stability, reliability, performance, and security
    • "Its resilience is the most valuable."
    • "Hitachi should launch some small machines in Brazil. The smallest machine here in Brazil is VSP 350, which can be quite big for some of the customers. In China, Hitachi has small models of this equipment, but those models are not available in our region. Its pricing is a big issue for us. We are resellers, and we face some competition from other vendors. Hitachi doesn't always have a good position in terms of the price. Its user interface is also not as good as some of the other competitors, and it can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am not an end user. I present the solution to customers. I study a customer's infrastructure and suggest a product based on the customer's needs, such as latency or IOPS performance. I usually work with VSP F700 and F900 models.

What is most valuable?

Its resilience is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Hitachi should launch some small machines in Brazil. The smallest machine here in Brazil is VSP 350, which can be quite big for some of the customers. In China, Hitachi has small models of this equipment, but those models are not available in our region.

Its pricing is a big issue for us. We are resellers, and we face some competition from other vendors. Hitachi doesn't always have a good position in terms of the price. Its user interface is also not as good as some of the other competitors, and it can be improved.

I have been working with Hitachi VSP Platform for three or four years.

It is stable. I didn't have any issues with its stability.

It depends on the series of the machine. When we are sizing a machine for our customers, we should consider how big the machine should be for three to five years. Our clients are medium to large organizations.

It used to be very good, but nowadays, it is not so good because Hitachi doesn't provide support for fixes. Another company is now doing fixes for Hitachi.

I don't take care of this area.

It is expensive as compared to other vendors, but its price is good if you are looking for stability, reliability, performance, and security.

Our clients evaluate all competitors, such as EMC, Huawei, and Pure Storage. Price is one of the big issues concerning the competition between these brands. Hitachi is the most expensive, followed by Pure Storage and EMC. Huawei is the cheapest.

Hitachi is one of the traditional brands for storage. People had Hitachi at a certain point in time in the past, but they couldn't continue with Hitachi because of the price. Last December, we sold a solution to a customer who didn't buy Hitachi for maybe seven or eight years. We were able to put a good proposal, and they acquired another Hitachi solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series an eight out of ten.

Senior Manager -Datacenter Planning and Operations at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good performance, high capacity, feature-rich
    • "The performance is very good."
    • "This product should be easier to install and set up."

What is our primary use case?

One of the tasks that I have been working on is the consolidation of storage.

This product is one that we have used to consolidate our legacy systems, all formerly residing on older storage. We have it configured for 150 terabytes in size, which is sufficient for all of our legacy applications.

It is also responsible for replication from our production site to DR site.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good.

The size of the storage is very good.

We use many of the enterprise features in production.

What needs improvement?

This product should be easier to install and set up.

I have been working with the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series for three years.

This is a stable storage system.

This is a scalable product.

We have five or six storage engineers that are in charge of administration.

We get our support from a local vendor. If there is an escalation then it is done directly to the vendor.

I have experience with several enterprise storage solutions.

The installation and initial setup are not straightforward. We had to do a lot of configuration and required assistance from the vendor to complete it. In particular, there were certain things that there was some confusion about.

The location and the sizing were also things that we had to plan for internally.

We used a consultant for the deployment, and we also had assistance from the vendor.

We pay for a support contract agreement.

What other advice do I have?

We have decided to migrate our application to the cloud, which is something that we are currently in the process of doing. As such, we do not plan to increase our usage of this storage platform.

In summary, this is a stable product and I highly recommend it. It provides a trouble-free work environment. There are also newer models than the one that we have, and I also recommend these.

Christoph Darazs - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Engineer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    IOPS are very fast, and the solution has notably reduced our storage footprint
    • "The deduplication is useful for us because we don't have that much money for our lab infrastructure. Deduplication means we have more storage available. And the IOPS are really fast."
    • "One problem is that there are too many management tools for the F Series and for all the other Hitachi storage systems. There are four or five such solutions. Maybe these could be combined in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We're only using the F Series in our lab for hosting lab infrastructure for all our colleagues. We needed fast storage.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution hasn't really improved our organization as it's only for lab infrastructure. It's not business-critical.

However, it has helped reduce our storage footprint. Previously, we had four storage systems and now we have only one F Series for the whole lab infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication is useful for us because we don't have that much money for our lab infrastructure. Deduplication means we have more storage available. And the IOPS are really fast.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series for half a year.

There are about 400 users who access our labs across the whole company.

We haven't had to use their support yet.

We have used NetApp, HyperFlex, and vSAN—a lot of solutions. We switched because our main infrastructure is Hitachi and we wanted to keep it all with one vendor.

The deployment of the solution was straightforward. We used the embedded management for the installation and it simplified things. Using it is like a reset and it was really straightforward.

We haven't had to scale it yet and we don't have plans to increase our usage of it at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are very satisfied with Hitachi's product. Managing it is very easy and the F Series is very stable. In general, the stability of Hitachi products is really good.

Private Cloud
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator.
    Team Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable hardware that is straightforward to set up, and the interface is improving
    • "The feature I like best is the stability of the hardware."
    • "They should look at the cost because there are other vendors who offer the same cost with more features."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for everything. It's a maximum workload. We use the rackmount for virtual workloads, databases, applications, centralized workflows, Hadoop, and Big Data.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like best is the stability of the hardware.

I like the UI that has recently been launched in the Hitachi help center.

What needs improvement?

They need to focus on a single UI, then the multiple components.

They should look at the cost because there are other vendors who offer the same cost with more features.

I would like to see the UI flexibility improved, as most of the vendors are providing a better UI.

I have been working with the Hitachi F-Series for the last three years. In total, I have been working with Hitachi products for about 15 years.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. We have more than 1000 users.

The technical support is good. Obviously, it can be better, but it is good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Compared with other vendors, there is a lot of competition that provides the same cost, with more features.

What other advice do I have?

Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Dell Technologies, Pure Storage, and more!
    Updated: August 2022