Helix ALM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Helix ALM is the #7 ranked solution in top Application Requirements Management tools and #12 ranked solution in top Quality Management Tools. PeerSpot users give Helix ALM an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Helix ALM is most commonly compared to IBM Rational DOORS: Helix ALM vs IBM Rational DOORS. Helix ALM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a healthcare company, accounting for 15% of all views.

Download the Application Requirements Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Helix ALM?

TestTrack provides a centralized suite of capabilities for managing requirements, defects/issues and testing throughout the software development cycle. [1] This suite tracks everything involved in the software development process from feature requests and requirements to design revisions and actual changes in the code. [2] It keeps track of what tests were done, what was tested, who performed the test and when, on what platform, under which configuration and in what language. [3] TestTrack offers the ability to create, manage, and link artifacts from the beginning through the end of a design and development project [4] providing end-to-end traceability of all development artifacts [5] and giving managers a better handle on the shifting requirements that define their projects. [6] TestTrack enforces regulatory compliance to meet regulatory compliance requirements, including 21 CFR Part 11 and Sarbanes-Oxley.

Helix ALM was previously known as TestTrack.

Helix ALM Customers

Invision, Softing, CACI, Hunter Industries, ITSO, Itron, EEC, Database Consultants Australia, VirtualScopics, March Networks, WorkForce

Helix ALM Video

Helix ALM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Helix ALM pricing:
"I give the solution a nine out of ten for pricing."

Helix ALM Reviews

Harold Pogue - PeerSpot reviewer
Global IT Director of Digital Platforms. Digital and Connected Commerce at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Helix ALM is insanely configurable, with great traceability, and flexibility
  • "The most valuable features of Helix ALM are traceability and flexibility."
  • "The accountability and the equivalent to using, acting, editing, working with Word, and also importing and exporting from Word needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is controlling and documenting project documents, requirements, tests, traceability between them, and coupling to the execution of text. Helix ALM is also used to track bugs and link them to validation testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Helix ALM is insanely configurable. We can really configure the solution and change it to do pretty much everything we want with only a couple of people. I have been in different roles along the way from principal contributor to project manager and with Helix ALM I rarely need IT, people, to make changes. I can be at an admin level and make the changes I need quickly and deploy them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Helix ALM are traceability and flexibility.

One thing that distinguishes Helix ALM from other solutions is that it is a hybrid cloud model. Helix ALM is not a full cloud implementation like Valerian, Jira Jama, or Atlassian, where we just go through a browser onto the cloud. In the case of Helix, we have code that goes on our computer and then that communicates to the cloud. We have the backup and distribution capability of the cloud, but we have code executing on our machine, and we don't need to worry much about speed and internet lag problems.

What needs improvement?

The accountability and the equivalent to using, acting, editing, working with Word, and also importing and exporting from Word needs improvement.

Adding snapshots for testing would be a valuable addition to Helix ALM.

The functionality to import and export from Microsoft Word within Helix ALM would be a great improvement.

Application Requirements Management
December 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Perforce, Atlassian, IBM and others in Application Requirements Management. Updated: December 2022.
658,157 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is stable and I give the stability a nine out of ten.

The solution is scalable and we currently have 100 users.

The technical support is excellent.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Previously to Helix ALM, I used Atlassian tools, Rational Rose Suite, Rational Unified Process, and the web-based Jama Jira.

The initial setup is complexly straightforward. The vendor offers support where they come and set up the solution for a fee.

I give the setup a nine out of ten.

The deployment can take between a few days to weeks depending on the workflow and requires two people.

The implementation was completed in-house with the help of a consultant.

I have seen a return on investment with Helix ALM.

I give the solution a nine out of ten for pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution a nine out of ten.

I suggest when implementing the solution, focus on the automation which allows us to configure and start simple before going complex. Do not try to deploy using all the bells and whistles at once.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Helps you measure, automate, and visualize your processes
  • "Helix ALM enables users to build, make efficient and effective decisions, and use least-cost methods for maximum benefit, as fast as possible. They allow you to see and visualize your configuration."
  • "It would be great to see Perforce's strategy is for implementing intelligence into the process via AI or ML. It's not clearly defined, at least not to my knowledge."

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I would say that Helix ALM's greatest value is that it allows you to have a clear view of your current configuration and dependencies backward tested. If you have to have backward compatibility, it allows you to see that. It also allows you to explore new branches for optimization going forward. It would be a great match for integrating decision trees.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to see Perforce's strategy is for implementing intelligence into the process via AI or ML. It's not clearly defined, at least not to my knowledge.

There're other platforms that do essentially the same thing. You can go to a math lab and say here's a big library of mathematical tools that you can plug into your process. I do process definition and configuration management; these two areas combined with AI ML would be a killer application.

Because algorithms don't get sick, they just spit out answers and if you can't interrogate the data, then you need to look at it harder. And that's what it's all about. Its continuous improvement and, nonstop excellence. If you look at what grows hyper-scale environments, it's just that. Hyper-scale environments such as, Amazon and Google and all the big platforms. That's what it takes, basically non-stop improvement.

I have three years of experience with Helix ALM.

I would describe my impressions of the stability of the product as undetermined. I haven't found any holes yet. I have found areas of improvement, but heck, it's software so they could develop it. I haven't found holes yet specifically because I'm not looking to improve their product. I'm only trying to take what they have to help other people solve their problems. I'm not functioning just to improve the product, I'm functioning to help customers use Helix ALM to solve their problems.

I don't deal with them directly, but I would rate them as adequate.

What you can't measure, you can't optimize. Helix ALM helps you measure, automate, and visualize your processes. It's a great tool to model and optimize. It also keeps your configuration from falling out of alignment with multiple groups.

The product requires a clear understanding of what you want to do because it's a make environment. So it's like handing an artist a blank sheet with any color in any pallet or any paintbrush you want. They have examples, so in the hands of an expert, you can create great products. The only advice would be is understand what you want to do and how you get there using Perforce and then I would recommend using MBSE development methodologies.

Download our free Application Requirements Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Perforce, Atlassian, IBM, and more!
Updated: December 2022