IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

GoToMeeting OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

GoToMeeting is #8 ranked solution in top Virtual Meetings tools. PeerSpot users give GoToMeeting an average rating of 8 out of 10. GoToMeeting is most commonly compared to Zoom: GoToMeeting vs Zoom. GoToMeeting is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 49% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Virtual Meetings Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

What is GoToMeeting?

GoToMeeting web conferencing software makes it simple and cost-effective to collaborate online with colleagues and customers. Best of all, meeting participants can share their webcams in high definition, so you can enjoy more personal interactions _ without needing a complicated setup.

GoToMeeting Customers

AAPT, ACD Groupe, Addison Fire, Avigilon Corporation, Basic Industries Ltd., Bitdefender, Branson School Online, Budd Van Lines, Business Fitness, Business Wire

GoToMeeting Video

Archived GoToMeeting Reviews (more than two years old)

Paul Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager ICT at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
Works perfectly fine but I would like for there to be screen recording features
  • "We don't have any link issues whether you use it to browser, or use it as a client. It worked perfectly fine for us."
  • "In the next release, I would for it to incorporate files more efficiently from one computer to another when we covert things and send them out. I'm not sure if it's capable of that."

What is our primary use case?

We have used it at my previous employment to connect for our weekly meetings for all our branches and video conferencing meetings as well.

What needs improvement?

When we bought it, it worked perfectly fine for us. We didn't have any fancy features that we required. Currently, it runs the meeting well. We can hear and see the other side. We can share screens. So there are no issues. Some improvements that i would like to see in the future is if they can measure or capture latency in the conferencing sessions and probably a small graphical interface that shows the live status of stability or jitters in the link, to establish any issues, whether its a link or bandwidth issue. This feature will be very helpful for on-spot troubleshooting and ironing out important conferencing calls.

We have been using it since around 2017 December/January.

I have had no issues. Unless there have been ISP issues, apart from that we never had any issues. We used to connect with overseas vendors, partners, clients. Apart from when we only had a link outage or anything to do with the link issue. But otherwise, GoToMeeting is an awesome product.  We don't have any issues whether you use it to browser, or use it as a client. It worked perfectly fine for us.
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about LogMeIn, Microsoft, TeamViewer and others in Virtual Meetings. Updated: May 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is scalable. We only needed the licensing for two conferencing groups. So at one point in time, it's two groups who have a conference. We only got a license for a group of two, and then we had individual connectivity. It worked fine for us, no issues.

I don't remember ever contacting technical support. We probably did when we initially bought it. It was very simple to configure, nothing complicated about it. It's all online-based. We add all of the users and send them a link.

We also used Skype and TeamViewer. I think Skype was a slightly heavier application compared to GoToMeeting was much smoother. I haven't used Skype for a long time. I wouldn't know if Skype has improved. It worked definitely fine for us. It did what it was supposed to do.

What other advice do I have?

GoToMeeting does simple video conferencing and has meetings set in two or three conferencing groups. Those types of meetings go perfectly fine. But if somebody is planning to intensively use it daily and their user requirement is a lot more than what I've experienced, I would suggest do a trial for a month or so and make the most out of it in order to see what the traffic is like and how it behaves in the network. Check to see if you have any issues in the chat. I think it all depends on how stable your link is and how you traffic-shape your policies in your Firewall. I think that it also plays a major role in how other application works. I would rate GoToMeeting a seven out of ten. Not a ten because there is always room for improvement. In the next release, I would like for it to incorporate file transfers more efficiently from one computer to another when we covert things and send them out. I'm not sure if it's capable of that.  I would like it to be able to do screen recording. You can do a voice recording of the presentation but not sure if could do a screen recording. It would be helpful during or when conducting a training.
Jnanakumari Sadasivam - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Executive at Ls Advisors
Enables us to save money on travel and has good screen sharing features
  • "I think all the features are very useful, especially the rooms features and we present with screen sharing. Instead of organizing conferences, we are able to do that online. This has been saving us from spending on travel. From the beginning of this year, because of GoToMeeting, I have canceled I think three or four business trips."
  • "I don't know whether it is an issue or not but my boss was asking me if person one is in one room, and another person wanted to use another room at the same time, I don't know whether it is possible."

What is our primary use case?

My boss uses it every week because it is what we use for having all of our meetings. Because of COVID-19 and all, we had to cancel all of our business trips, and we are conducting all of our meetings with GoToMeeting.

What is most valuable?

I think all the features are very useful, especially the rooms features and we present with screen sharing. Instead of organizing conferences, we are able to do that online. This has been saving us from spending on travel. From the beginning of this year, because of GoToMeeting, I have canceled I think three or four business trips.

Normally, we do spend a lot on travel in the office. But while my boss was experiencing GoToMeeting, the conference call that enables us to do presentations and deal with clients, he realized that we could be doing it all via GoToMeeting instead of going from one country to another one. We have saved a lot and we are very satisfied with it.

We had a conversation about GoToMeeting on Friday and he said that he will continue with it. We are planning to register for more accounts. Because we had registered with the trial version.

What needs improvement?

I don't know whether it is an issue or not but my boss was asking me if person one is in one room, and another person wanted to use another room at the same time, I don't know whether it is possible. Normally, I don't use that feature as much as my boss does. He was saying that we have to see about that feature, if there's a possibility to use two rooms at the same time, with two staff members logging into the same account, at the same time.

I have been using it since the beginning of this year. Secure Services proposed it to me, and I proposed it to my boss. We started with a trial version of course, and after that, he saw that it is a very helpful tool, since we've got lots of meetings to do, and we can't just go travel. We even use it for our weekly conference calls with all the 18 members in the company. After that, we integrated all of our clients together. We even did a Webinar with GoToMeeting. In fact, I have one next week.

For the time being, scalability is okay. It's suitable for our requirements.

We have 15 users in the Mauritius branch, 25 in Paris, and we have 5 users in Switzerland.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

I would like for them to incorporate a whiteboard feature. With Teams, while doing a presentation, and while discussing with clients, sometimes we do use that option. And on Teams I can see that this feature is there.

May 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director - Global Delivery at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Lightweight, stable, and the whiteboard is good for taking notes during meetings
  • "There is no lagging and the meeting interaction is seamless."
  • "I would like to see better support for mobile devices."

What is our primary use case?

We use GoToMeeting for online meetings and video conferencing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is lightweight. There is no lagging and the meeting interaction is seamless.

The whiteboard for taking notes is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better support for mobile devices.

The limit size of meetings should be increased from 10 people to 25.

Integration with Google Docs would be a useful addition.

I have been using GoToMeeting for almost two years.

We use GoToMeeting regularly, perhaps twice a week, and it is very much a stable product.

With respect to scalability, you can accommodate a maximum of 10 people in a meeting. I think that it should be increased to 25.

I have never been in contact with technical support.

I have used multiple applications for meetings and video conferencing, including Microsoft Teams and Zoom.

The initial setup is very easy.

I did not require any assistance in implementing GoToMeeting. It takes between two and five minutes to deploy.

GoToMeeting is a little bit expensive compared to other products.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, I find that GoToMeeting is a good product.

General Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Lightweight, easy to set up, and has a simple interface
  • "I like GoToMeeting because it is lighter than other solutions, such as Webex."
  • "The interface is a little outdated and could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for video conferencing, normally for meeting with people external to our organization.

What is most valuable?

I like GoToMeeting because it is lighter than other solutions, such as Webex. There is less delay during meetings.

The interface is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

The interface is a little outdated and could be better. In some ways, it could be more intuitive.

I have been using GoToMeeting for seven or eight years.

Overall, this is a stable solution and I have not experienced much in the way of glitches. Normally, we use GoToMeeting for having meetings once or twice per month.

My typical meeting size is about ten people, which has been fine. We have had no trouble with connecting, sharing data, or sharing our screens. I'm not sure how a meeting of 1,000 participants would be because I haven't been involved in one.

I am currently using Zoom, Webex, and GoToMeeting.

Feature-wise, there is not much difference between GoToMeeting and Webex. However, Webex is a little bit heavier and slower at times.

The initial setup is easy and it only takes a few minutes to do.

I performed the setup.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I find GoToMeeting very simple and easy to use. If somebody is not satisfied with Zoom or Webex then I would recommend that they try this product. It is a good alternative.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Senior Program Manager at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Good iPhone support but it is too slow compared to other products
  • "The most important feature for me was the iPhone app."
  • "GoToMeeting is too slow, which is why we no longer use it."

What is our primary use case?

We are no longer using GoToMeeting but we were using it for video conferencing.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for me was the iPhone app.

What needs improvement?

GoToMeeting is too slow, which is why we no longer use it.

I don't like the fact that you have to enter your password every time you use it. My phone is my phone and it should assume that it is me using it when a call comes in. It should be more flexible in this regard because if my iPhone rings then I can answer it. However, if GoToMeeting rings, then I can't just answer it without entering a password. It isn't as if it is a bank or a wallet for electronic currency.

I was using GoToMeeting for about a year and a half.

It is a stable solution.

It is scalable because the stability was consistent, even as the number of meeting participants increased. We have perhaps 60 users in the company.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

Prior to GoToMeeting, I used Webex and Zoom. I also have experience with Google Hangouts.

With Google Hangouts, I have the same problem with the speed of the connection slowing down too much when we are sharing screens.

GoToMeeting was too slow, so our company has changed to Zoom. With Zoom, we don't have as much trouble with the connection speed slowing down when we are sharing screens.

What other advice do I have?

GoToMeeting is a nice program and they have a lot of features.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

EddyRosolen - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Available on many platforms and can have many meeting participants
  • "Screenshare is the most valuable feature as well as the number of meeting participants possible in a meeting. It also has good quality."
  • "The sound quality is good but the video quality needs improvement."

What is most valuable?

Screenshare is the most valuable feature as well as the number of meeting participants possible in a meeting. It also has good quality.

What needs improvement?

The sound quality is good but the video quality needs improvement.

I started using GoToMeeting one year ago.

It is stable.

Scalability is good. There are around fifty users in our company. We are a smaller company of 100 people, we don't have plans to increase usage.

We haven't contacted their support.

We also used Skype and Webex. GoToMeeting is available on many platforms which is a good advantage.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. To make it a ten it should be able to have more participants.

The advice I would give to someone considering this solution is to be sure that you have good network quality.

AbdAllah Marrouche - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at Capital Guidance
A stable conferencing solution with dial-in capability
  • "The most valuable feature is the dial-in capability."
  • "Manageability needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for having meetings with people that need to dial in from the outside.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the dial-in capability.

What needs improvement?

Manageability needs to be improved.

I have been using GoToMeeting for seven to eight years.

I haven't experienced any problems in terms of stability.

Scalability has not been a problem.

It is difficult to reach the people at GoToMeeting, even if you're trying to reach somebody in sales. I find this strange because they have an amazing product, but you would expect to have trouble reaching a company when it is the opposite.

I have used Zoom with one of my clients and I also use Microsoft Teams.

If Microsoft Teams had dial-in capability then I would use it instead, rather than paying extra for GoToMeeting.

I purchased ten licenses for GoToMeeting. It is a little expensive although now, with the competition from Zoom and other products, they have lowered their prices and it is better.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this solution is very good. Only the management and pricing are in need of improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Other
Girish Hanuman - PeerSpot reviewer
Member Data Security Council of India at Sysnet Global Technologies
Simple and easy to use when managing a conference but its performance is not always consistent

What is our primary use case?

GoToMeeting is not so great. It is not always consistent in its performance. Sometimes it works well and if you're on a mobile device it works but sometimes it doesn't work. Even if it has a good broadband connection, it doesn't always work properly.

It has been good, but it is not consistent.

What is most valuable?

When managing a conference, it is simple and easy. If I want somebody to share a screen, it is simple.

The way the whole screen is set up is good.

Even for somebody who does not have a lot of experience, they can easily use it.

It is not so stable.

They're trying to bring in too many things and make it look really complex. For the common, simple new user, it's not that easy to use, like Zoom.

I use Zoom, mainly for other meetings. I feel that Zoom is a better product. It works much better on mobile than desktops or laptops.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

I would recommend Zoom over GoToMeeting.

Manager Service Delivery at a tech company
Has good software and is very handy
  • "GoToMeeting is very handy. It's good software. I would definitely recommend it."
  • "In addition to the features it already has, I think GoToMeeting should also have additional features that are not present at the moment."

What needs improvement?

In addition to the features it already has, I think GoToMeeting should also have additional features that are not present at the moment.

I have been using GoToMeeting for two years.

We have had issues with stability.

It hasn't been required to contact their technical support. The issues we had weren't related to the features, rather it would hang and we would reset it and it would work.

I find BlueJeans very similar to Skype and it does similar things that Google does. You can add more team members there so BlueJeans is a proven solution. It's a good tool. It's not a replacement to GoToMeeting, but equally handy when it comes to some things.

What other advice do I have?

GoToMeeting is very handy. It's good software. I would definitely recommend it.

I would rate GoToMeeting an eight out of ten. Not a ten because there are still some features it should still have.

Bruno Schiavetti - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Director at Phase Pacific
Cost-effective and has good performance
  • "It's cost-effective."
  • "The newer user interface takes a bit longer to get used to."

What is our primary use case?

As a sales organization, we get involved with customer conferences, product demonstrations, and support calls with our customers where we need to take control of their PC. We also use it for internal conferencing between teams.

What is most valuable?

We did a cost comparison and it seemed to be the cheapest. Whether that's still the case now or not, I don't know. It's cost-effective.

What needs improvement?

There are always things to improve. But I haven't had any issues that I needed to report to them.

The newer user interface takes a bit longer to get used to.

We have been using GoToMeeting for two years.

We have used Webex and Zoom. Although now Zoom has got a security problem, so I don't think many people are going to be using that in the future.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend it. I have no issues with the performance and no issues with the way it works. It is a better option from a security perspective with what's going on with Zoom. I would definitely recommend it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. There's always room for improvement.

Owner at UNIWAN.BE SPRL
Enables us to organize meetings with customers and partners around the world
  • "The key advantage of GoToMeeting is the ability to use it without installing anything."
  • "The enrolment for a non-IT user should be easier. It should be simplified for non-IT users."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for organizing meetings with my customers and partners around the world. My intention is to organize webinars and training.

What is most valuable?

The key advantage of GoToMeeting is the ability to use it without installing anything.

What needs improvement?

The software is stable but I think the performance is not the best on the market. I was in a meeting yesterday and it kept on freezing. I don't think it was due to the software. It was more due to the infrastructure of GoToMeeting. We missed some parts of the discussion during the meeting.

It's scalable. I've been to big meetings and it's quite scalable.

I haven't been in touch with technical support yet.

The initial setup was straightforward. It only took a few minutes to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone implementing this solution is to have a good camera and microphone.

I would recommend Zoom as opposed to GoToMeeting. Zoom has a new feature that offers the ability to change the background. You can hide what's behind your chair. It's useful to have the ability to change the background of your video. Zoom has the ability to change your background to whatever you want, even the view, and in GoToMeeting, you don't have that option at all.

It seems trivial but during meetings, some of my technicians don't want to turn on the camera because they don't want what's behind them to show.

I would rate GoToMeeting an eight out of ten.

it_user620046 - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Engineer III with 11-50 employees
Easy setup, easy login for attendees, but too sensitive to noise, system goes down a lot
  • "Ease of setup and login by attendees. Facilitates sharing visually, and not just via audio."
  • "Poor error recovery, too sensitive to transmission errors. Needs better codecs and more robust system software that can handle network glitches."

How has it helped my organization?

Enables spontaneous meetings across geographies.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of setup and login by attendees
  • Quality of screen sharing is adequate
  • Facilitates sharing visually, and not just via audio

What needs improvement?

There are stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Fair.

FreeConferenceCall.com

The setup was simple.

Negotiate for discounts.

WebEx and Skype for Business.

What other advice do I have?

I give it a seven out of 10. Poor error correction, too sensitive to noise. System goes down frequently as a result, and attendees have to redial.

Try Zoom, it is more stable.

it_user993 - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer (Non IT) at a construction company with 51-200 employees
GoToMeeting took a very short time to install and it worked without a hitch.

What is most valuable?

GoToMeeting took a very short time to install and it worked without a hitch. I was able to participate in an online webinar and to view the webcast.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any cons.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is very simple and dependable.

VP of Product at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
Reliable meeting software, voice could be improved

What is most valuable?

The feature set is very comparable with other virtual meeting products.

What needs improvement?

We often have voice issues, especially when there are a mix of VOIP and dial-in users.  The product technology has steadily improved over the past few years.  User defaults and billing settings are not available in the meeting software and subscription details have to managed almost exclusively by phone.

Five years

Many issues over time with phone echos and unusable audio.

Generally, the online portion of meetings has been quite stable and doesn't lag.

Very helpful customer service related to billing questions.

I had used WebEx at a previous company and was quite happy. Five years ago WebEx was quite a bit more expensive and as a startup we went with GoToMeeting. Currently evaluating options with higher quality audio.

Be careful with offering toll-free audio as the charges add up quickly.

it_user11028 - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
GoToMeeting works great–until you add video conferencing

I have been a loyal customer of GoToMeeting for years.  I love the cost, flexibility, screen sharing, and audio quality.  It works very well.

In 2013, I’ve started using the video conferencing feature much more heavily – meaning, I’m using it.  At Clear Measure, we have teams in Austin, Dallas, Toronto, and New York.  On top of that, our clients like to connect to us from wherever they are.  The phone conference dialing is very useful, and the smartphone app is great as well.

The issue I have found is that the video conferencing takes a remarkable amount of CPU time.  Many team members have difficulty using video conferencing when other process are running on their computers.  Webex, on the other hand, appears to degrade video quality in that case.  GoToMeeting seems to require full video quality and audio quality at all times.  And when the CPU can’t keep up, audio and video just cut out and stop working (dropped packets/words/sentences).

Here is GoToMeeting running without video (call with 5 people – my webcam is off, other 4 webcams are streaming)

GoToMeeting without video

And here is GoToMeeting running with my webcam turned on.

GoToMeeting with video

If I could have my way, when faced with constrained CPU cycles, video quality would degrade first.  Then screen sharing quality, then audio quality, The current behavior has me shopping for other solutions.  I’d be interested knowing other experiences.

Download our free Virtual Meetings Report and find out what your peers are saying about LogMeIn, Microsoft, TeamViewer, and more!
Updated: May 2022