We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Fortinet FortiMail OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiMail is #3 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiMail an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiMail is most commonly compared to Cisco Secure Email: Fortinet FortiMail vs Cisco Secure Email. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 37% of all views.
What is Fortinet FortiMail?

FortiMail appliances and virtual appliances are proven, powerful email security platforms for any size organization — from small businesses to carriers, service providers, and large enterprises. Purpose-built for the most demanding messaging systems, FortiMail appliances employ Fortinet’s years of experience in protecting networks against spam, malware, and other message-borne threats.

Fortinet FortiMail was previously known as FortiMail.

Fortinet FortiMail Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiMail Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Fortinet FortiMail Customers

Magromer Cueros y Pieles S.A.

Fortinet FortiMail Video

Fortinet FortiMail Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiMail pricing:
  • "If you don't need the full bundle that includes everything, you have options for the small or medium enterprise environments."
  • "In terms of licensing, we are using a virtual machine license for the single virtual server which it runs on. Doing it this way enables us to cut costs by only licensing FortiMail for our exact use case. If you need to expand in future, you can later buy extra licenses per virtual machine."
  • "9,000 Euro per annum for Fortinet Mail and sandbox."
  • "The pricing is good."
  • "The price is acceptable for the support license it includes."
  • "The fees for Fortinet FortiMail can be complicated. However, overall the pricing is fair."
  • Fortinet FortiMail Reviews

Imad Awwad
    Group IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User-friendly, multi-platform, easy to setup and troubleshoot
    • "Troubleshooting is very simple because you can see where the email was not delivered and why it would be considered as spam."
    • "An additional feature that could be added is a pop-up screen notifying you that an email has been blocked, without having to double click on it to take you there it could provide you with a summary explaining why it was on hold or why was it spam when you hover over it with your cursor."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is for filtering emails, internally and for external emails. We have part with Office 365 and the other is hosted inside. We have monitoring and certain policies regarding emails, both in sending and receiving them.

The deployment Model is on-premises using a virtual machine.

What is most valuable?

This a user-friendly solution.

Troubleshooting is very simple because you can see where the email was not delivered and why it would be considered as spam. For the IT team, it is important, because when they are asked by management why their email was not sent or why was this email that was sent to me was considered as spam, they have the details that are needed to explain why.

It is much better than IronPort for Cisco and Websense.

For now, as per our experience with FortiMail in handling a large number of emails and spams as well, in the past three years, we have been protected and saved from any attacks from the outside. This is one of the main reasons we will continue to use FortiMail.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard is small, it doesn't have a huge dashboard that you can rely on, you need another application to work with it, which is why they created FortiAnalyzer. This allows you to dig deeper if you want details. For example, it would tell you from which domain, to what domain, and what are the triggers that have been used to classify this email. These are all extra features, it is not an all in one.

Some of the dashboards found in the FortiAnalyzer could be improved. For the basics, the solution covers it.

An additional feature that could be added is a pop-up screen notifying you that an email has been blocked, without having to double click on it to take you there it could provide you with a summary explaining why it was on hold or why was it spam when you hover over it with your cursor.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This solution is very stable. I don't remember the last time that I had to restart the server.

This is the main mail filter, for our entire company.

They are different, not of the same email. One for Office 365 and the other is Lotus and other mail services.

Not only one service in our system, but it is configured on that one main filter using different platforms, acting as the main suitor for FortiMail.

There are approximately five hundred users, with two administrators and three at the help desk. They can do minor duties such as releasing emails, but not going into why were the emails blocked. They help to release emails that are blocked for users, who cannot release them on their own. We do, however, have limited system privileges for the administrators.

The administrators maintain the solution. The administrators will search for new firmware, find the new releases, and whether it is beneficial or not needed.

This solution is scalable at the start. You don't have any boundaries for upgrading or downgrading.

The Virtual Machine can hold as much as you want, but of course, every Virtual Machine has its capacity. You cannot take the capacity that is needed now, but rather, you have to think forward. For example, maybe now you have twenty emails, but next year we're going to have fifty emails more, and you end up with seventy, so now you reach one hundred.

While every Virtual Machine has its limitations, the limitation of every Virtual Machine is large.

We do not plan to increase usage.

The technical support was good. They are perfect.

The support is open and support is with FortiGate. They always reply and they are always there to support you within an hour, at the maximum.

Everything will be shown in your inbox.

We develop our products, and we do our troubleshooting without relying on the support.

If we reach a stage where we can't do anything more, then we contact support. It has been approximately two years since we last contacted them.

Previously we used a different solution. We switched to FortiMail because our old solution was not good, or stable.

We used many solutions before, including Sophos Email, and when you have a good experience with a product you will not go back to the old products or switch to other products unless there are big advantages.

Emails were not accurate, some emails on the first day were in your inbox and another day, they are quarantined, and then other days they were not being delivered.

There were limitations in the configuration and troubleshooting.

We have always had SLAs, but not with the company, it was with the brand. For example, we had support from Cisco and Sophos between one and three years.

We directly open cases with them. Two cases were not closed. I had completed my troubleshooting and solved the issue, while they were not able to solve it.

Cisco was too complicated, not user-friendly, and not designed for emails in that complex environment. For an easier environment, they were fine, but, not for a complex environment, with different main servers, and different platforms.

Cisco is also more expensive than others. I don't know why, especially now, with technology in the hands of every brand.

Cisco is not the one and only, but now, it is the last and only.

This is why we are no longer using Cisco. We did have a good experience with Cisco. Everything was tested. I asked the suppliers, the brand owners in the region, to come over to see us. I didn't just go to Fortinet FortiMail directly.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The deployment time varies depending on if you are doing research, or if you are going to post on your site regarding FortiMail. If it is one domain it will take one day, or if it is for ten domains that have to be checked on to see the main flow and to see everything, it can take anywhere from one to three days.

We had only one staff member for the deployment of this solution.

To have it fully deployed and for fine-tuning, it will need ten working days. At some points, there is mail that you receive and not able to detect them, for example, all of the mail you are getting are spam or are getting quarantined or they are not quarantined, they are just trespassing in, you need approximately ten days. It's similar to machine learning, where you can learn your emails and how they flow.

Simply put, the implementation is one to three days and for fine-tuning, it is ten days.

We used the reseller and the technical people to work with us, but the configurations and the policies are from my recommendation.

The resellers are awesome!

The time needed for troubleshooting before was reduced by at least 80%. This allowed us to focus on other applications as well, not only the web filter, email filter, and applications for the firewall.

We have taken away some applications that we used to monitor our network with, as they were offered in FortiGate, so we no longer needed them.

Many areas helped us in reduced costs, not only in the administration in these areas, but in replacing other services that we used to buy. For example, If you want to have wireless access points so that people can access on their mobiles, we would have had to purchase a radio-server and an expensive wireless access point which was needed together.

Access points that would cost between sixty and eighty dollars, you can have them with FortiGate on a switch, allowing you to monitor all of these from the FortiGate.

You have all of the security, you can create your policies and you can do all the measurement and shaping and applications of vision monitoring. Everything can be done through FortiGate.

These are some of the advantages that FortiGate have over all the others.

It's multi-platform.

As long as you work more on the configuration and you dig deep inside the policies, you can reach huge worlds, and the security layers, not seven, layer eight and nine because intelligence and security are there.

You have all it backs-up with the company. So yes, several things have been changed and replaced.

We are satisfied with the pricing of this solution.

Licenses are based on everyone's needs. If you don't need the full bundle that includes everything, you have options for the small or medium enterprise environments.

I was doing both the evaluating and testing.

I had researched the internet for the leaders.

I did not go with Gartner as they pay to gain leadership. I went to other sources. I went to reviews, and I opened cases in everyone. I evaluated Barracuda, IronPort Cisco, Sophos, FortiMail and Websense.

I evaluated every one of the five brands and it took five months of testing all brands before we made the decision to go with FortiMail. We chose FortiMail because they passed all of the tests. The POC was for one month.

What other advice do I have?

Emails are dangerous to deal with. You need backdoors for all people, You don't have any control over it because you are not the person who's dealing with emails for the employees.

Everyone is dealing with their own emails. In order to secure your emails, you need to secure your employees and the emails that are trespassing into your environment.

You need to find a solution that not only scans emails, but you also need to have some artificial intelligence for the machine learning for emails.

That's what FortiMail is doing.

FortiMail is flexible, straightforward, and easy to troubleshoot. This is key, for  IT, they need to troubleshoot easily, and need to know why and how this was done.

FortiMail is one of the important applications that can provide us what we require, as well as, being able to delegate your troubleshooting and your administration with many players or many, team members in IT. There are some that can do it while others cannot.

You should test before you decide to own a product. Don't rely on people saying, that it's the best product I have. You should know what your business is working with. There are no best practices in IT. There is what the business needs in IT.

The best practices that are there, are by the books, but the business may require different paths than the books and the best practices they tell you. So, always test. Know why and what you need the services for and don't buy everything, because you will not have time to be working on all of them.

If you have things set up straightforwardly, and it is fast to configure, then, yes, these products are good for you. The differences are, the experience and stability of these products, and how far you can go with the policies. This is what I have learned, not only from FortiMail but from all the solutions we're working with.

Never put your business and IT aside. They should collaborate and align together.

Overall, this is a good and reliable application.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Co-founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The GUI is easy to use, setup is simple, and support is responsive
    • "The GUI isn't hard to use. When we do a demo and explain the features of Fortinet products to our customers, they understand very quickly. They can easily manage their systems without us."
    • "Maybe FortiMail's integration could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator company, so we are installing to these products, the different customers.  We explain Fortinet solutions to our customers, and if they want, we can do a proof of concept for one month or so. Then, if they are happy and want to move forward, we will install it on their site. After that, we provide support for one to three years, depending on the contract. I did the POC of FortiMail for three big companies, and later they had no budget because they ran into a cash flow problem, and we ended up just waiting. Still, we are contacting our customers and trying to sell the Fortinet product FortiMail.

What is most valuable?

The GUI isn't hard to use. When we do a demo and explain the features of Fortinet products to our customers, they understand very quickly. They can easily manage their systems without us. But other products are a little more complicated. For example, if we're talking about firewall systems, I use Palo Alto, but I prefer the Fortinet solution because it's easier to use. They're effortless. When I try to configure the SD-WAN, it's just one or two clicks. I can route all applications with the destination. It's no problem for me. The other configuration also is very easy. Palo Alto may be more powerful for inspection, but my priority is making the customer happy. Also, they have the Fabric architecture, so when we sell one Fortinet product to the government, we can easily sell the others because they have the Fabric architecture as well. We are working with other products from different companies, but if you ask about email solutions, we prefer FortiMail.

What needs improvement?

Maybe FortiMail's integration could be better.

I've been using FortiMail for about five years.

FortiMail is very stable. We haven't had any problems with it.

FortiMail is highly scalable. We've installed it in big government agencies without any problems.

Fortinet's support responds very fast. Normally within Turkey, we can get support. We don't talk to the central Fortinet support. The Turkey partner program companies are enough for us. Currently, we have the high technical Fortinet certification, but sometimes we have trouble, so we contact the Fortinet Turkey technical managers and get a fast response from them.

Installation is effortless with all Fortinet products. With simple settings, the initial installation takes half an hour tops. Then, if the customer wants a custom configuration, that might take five additional minutes. Customers almost always want something, and we have to update the configuration. One admin is enough to handle everything. The admin has to talk to the customer. You can do some templates, but every customer's needs are different. For example, sending 5,000 emails from one source to a destination is a big problem. You could get flagged as spam. But for some personal reasons, this setup might be needed because the customer is in a relationship with others, so perhaps he will send advertising emails to the customers, so 5,000 is okay. You can allow just this functionality for just one person and deny it to others. So it's adaptable for the needs of each customer, but one admin guy is enough.

I don't know the price of other products, but the cost of FortiMail is moderate. The customers don't want to haggle. When they see what the solution can do, they are willing to pay for it. They are most likely getting quotes from various companies, and the Fortinet product is the most cost-effective. The performance is very high because they're trying all the products on their site. At the end of the day, they look at the performance and the price, and  Fortinet covers all the bases.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiMail nine out of 10. I don't know what other solution is the best, but we are happy with Fortinet products. We offer FortiMail to all our customers. For example, when I go to any customer to explain the different solutions, I mention FortiMail if they don't have a mail solution. Or perhaps they have another product that they're using, say Kaspersky Mail Protection, but they're not getting any support from Kaspersky, so nobody knows how it's working. They installed the device, but nobody provided them support. In a situation like this, our sales pitch for Fortinet is that we will provide three years of support. Also, Fortinet itself provides support for them 24-7, so they're getting a fast response from Fortinet.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiMail. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    563,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Database/Server Specialist Computer Services at a university with 201-500 employees
    Scalable, great for spam outbreaks, and offers great technical support
    • "The solution can scale."
    • "Sometimes it takes a little bit too long to determine if an email is good or not. If they could shorten that time span, it'd be so much better. It does delay our email, which does not make users happy. That said, I would have to say we have not been blacklisted for quite a while now."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for identifying spam, viruses, zero-day spamming, and any other kind of spam issues our organization might face.

What is most valuable?

We have several of these solutions in place. We do have, as of late, spam outbreaks. This solution has been pretty reliable in dealing with them.

The solution can scale.

The solution is mostly stable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it takes a little bit too long to determine if an email is good or not. If they could shorten that time span, it'd be so much better. It does delay our email, which does not make users happy. That said, I would have to say we have not been blacklisted for quite a while now.

Sometimes there are false positives.

When spam goes into system quarantine, it would be ideal if there was a safe way to let the users review the email in question and release it themselves, as opposed to having to wait on an administrator, to search for it and release it. It could be done securely. I understand why the system quarantines. However, a lot of users have their financial documents or lawyer's documents get thrown into the system quarantine and they're waiting on them. They need them within the hour as they are often time-sensitive matters. Due to this, they have to contact me. They wait for a while because they don't know when it's going to come, however, eventually they have to contact me. It's a delay. People understandably get very impatient.

There are some emails that go through that should be given a login code - for example, like whenever you're signing up for Microsoft in the cloud and they have to send you a login code. These codes from well-known vendors get stuck in the spam outbreak. They get stuck in different places.

Whitelisting should be a little bit friendlier for the users. It was actually easier a few versions back. Once you logged into your Fortimail account, you could whitelist very easily. Now, you have to kind of navigate through the email to do it. We cannot turn on the auto whitelist feature on because then there are users that will download anything without thinking, so we never use the auto whitelist feature. That's why it's so important to make whitelisting individually an easy task.

I've used the solution within the last 12 months.

The stability of the solution is mainly good. We do occasionally get false positives, however, it's rare.

It is very scalable and it does work well for what it's doing.

We've been satisfied with the technical support. They always are able to help us with upgrades and implementations. We find them to be quite knowledgeable.

For us, the setup is pretty straightforward. However, it's that way due to the fact that we use technical support to assist us. If we were to do it on our own, it may be difficult to implement. It's not something that I could just pull up and do on my own. I don't feel like I could. The knowledge of the engineers is very beneficial.

In our use case scenario, we do have support to help us set it up. In all the scenarios, even when I migrate to another upgrade or to a different box, even though we've had this for several years, we always use support.

We did evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. If it weren't for issues surrounding quarantining emails, I'd rate it higher.

Giorgi Sakhokia
    Information Security Officer at State Audit Office
    Safeguards our company's emails with minimal configuration and no stress
    • "FortiMail is extremely flexible and very easy to learn. Compared to other email security products that we've tried, it is mainly the ease of configuration that makes FortiMail valuable to us."
    • "I have little to say about possible improvements, but the configuration for content blocking could be better. So, for example, if the email includes the line "You have a Bitcoin", I would like it to be easier to block it before it enters an inbox. Fortinet could maybe offer better or simpler help on how to do this properly."

What is our primary use case?

We have FortiMail running on-premises on a virtual client. It is currently serving emails for about 400 employees that we have here. All this is taking place on the same server, and for the past three months it has been our main guarantee for email security.

How has it helped my organization?

FortiMail has taken good care of the deliverability and security of emails within our organization, protecting our many users from all kinds of security threats.

What is most valuable?

It doesn't take an engineer to be able to get up and running with FortiMail, and one can get by with little more than the online documentation and YouTube, for example.

What needs improvement?

I have little to say about possible improvements, but the configuration for content blocking could be better. So, for example, if the email text and/or subject includes any kind of keyword and/or phrase, for example "You have a Bitcoin", I would like it to be easier to block it before it enters an inbox. Fortinet could maybe offer better or simpler help on how to do this properly.

Besides that, I feel that we have everything we need for our company with FortiMail.

Our company has been using Fortinet FortiMail for three months now.

During testing we have found FortiMail to be very stable and there have been no major incidents. It is one of the most stable Fortinet products we have used.

We have successfully used FortiMail for around 400 email users so far. It is very flexible.

We don't have any experience with the official international support because our partners at High Tech Solutions in Georgia, with whom we have a close business relationship, are our main support channel.

They are highly professional, well-educated, and always available to help us. Even when working hours are over, they are happy to offer support from their excellent engineers. They truly stand behind Fortinet products and it shows.

For email security purposes, we previously used Barracuda Firewall. We had the firewall installed in the system which we were using for free emails. Now we are transforming our system to use FortiMail as it is more of an all-in-one solution that has everything we need.

FortiMail is very easy to set up and configure. This is one of the main reasons why we enjoy using it.

There is just one guy who works on the admin and configuration, and an InfoSec officer who looks into incidents by analyzing events and logs. Beyond that, we also receive input from the head of department and other management.

We could have continued with Barracuda, but after trying out FortiMail for a short time, we now prefer it over Barracuda.

What other advice do I have?

After three months of evaluating FortiMail, it has exceeded our expectations and we will definitely continue using it.

I would rate Fortinet FortiMail a ten out of ten.

Dikeos Davakis
    ICT Manager at Nic. J. Theocarakis
    Secure with a very clean user interface and sandbox feature
    • "Clean user interface and good sandbox."
    • "The statistics and BI in general could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution provides security for our mail system. We're a group of companies, mainly dealing with car importation and distribution, and I'm the CIO.

What is most valuable?

This solution has a very clean user interface. It's agnostic to whatever environment you're using behind it. My email servers are HCL Domino servers now and it's easy to implement - they have very good sandbox for checking email without the danger of opening them.

What needs improvement?

I think their statistics and the BI in general could be improved. By that I mean the feedback the admin can take from the reporting. We're in the process of moving to Microsoft 365. We have discussed employing the Fortinet cloud solution with them, because right now we're using the on-premise solution. I don't know how it's going to play out in the cloud version.

I've been using this solution for five years.

It does the job that it needs to do, it's quite stable.

I haven't checked the scalability, because we have bought the larger version, which is the 32 VMs. I think it's pretty scalable. We have around 400 users, basically everybody in the company and we use it as a gateway. It gets all the email and takes it from our mail servers. We have two people in the company maintaining the solution and two others monitoring things.

We have a contract with a partner for technical support, not Fortinet Greece. We used to use Fortinet Greece, but they're mainly sales engineers so we took on a partner. We're satisfied with them.

We used another solution several years back. The trigger to move to Fortinet was a virus, a ransomware and that's when we switched to Forti products. We're happy with things.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward, it was easy to implement.

We're using two products, the FortiSandbox, which is actually the sandbox environment of FortiMail and FortiMail. We're paying about 9,000 Euros per year for those two products. It is pretty cost-effective for Greece. Fortinet is very aggressive with their pricing.

The other options we looked at were Check Point perhaps or Barracuda. Either they didn't have the sandbox solution or it wasn't as centralized as we wanted and they were more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know what you're aiming for beforehand and what your environment needs in terms of implementation. It requires being very explicit so you can know what to set up with it. Things such as rules and domains that you can work with. You have to know your environment well.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Senior Security Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good logging, and reporting capabilities, a large number of features, and has good technical support
    • "The integration with FortiSandbox is good, and something that we utilize often."
    • "High Availability needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiMail for our email gateway. It's an anti-spam. It secures emails from all anti-spam emails, as well as Malware, which is an email from phishing attacks, from whatever Malware is in the email, that are sent to the company as well as outbound emails.

We are using InPost to secure both inbound and outbound emails. As a result, no one, not even from within the company, can send an anti-spam message to the outside world.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good product.

The integration with FortiSandbox is good, and something that we utilize often.

FortiSandbox refers to any files that are sent via email. FortiMail takes the file and forwards it to the FortiSandbox to analyze the file and sends the report to the FortiMail, who can then release or stop the email.

Both logging and reporting are very good, as well as the antivirus profiles, content emails, content profile, and application profile.

They have good transparency of customizations.

We use all of the product's features, including anti-spam profiles, content profiles, and antivirus profiles.

What needs improvement?

High Availability needs improvement. It doesn't have good HA.

It has a lot of flexibility and customizations, but it's a lot. If you don't know what was done, you will be lost, you know that one. As a result, the customization possibly affected the complexity of the configuration.

I have been working with Fortinet FortiMail for six years.

We are working with version 6.0.

Fortinet FortiMail is a very stable solution.

We didn't need to think about scalability because we didn't have a use case.

We have 250 users in our company.

We are now using it for more than just email security. It functions as the SMCB Gateway, which is in another mode.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We don't require a lot of staff to maintain this solution.

This solution is used extensively. We rely on it to keep our emails secure.

The first installation was done through FortiMail, and we then deployed it two or three times more.

The vendor assisted us the first time it was deployed.

The pricing is good.

Licensing fees are paid yearly.

There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I believe that the only thing you may require in the initial deployment is assistance from Fortinet itself to show you how to deploy it. It is better t have a good experience and gain knowledge to avoid false positives.

I would rate Fortinet FortiMail a nine out of ten. It has most of all of the features that we need.

Daouda DEMBELE
    Owner at TECHNICOM
    Easy to use, has good reporting, and the number of false positives is minimal
    • "The number of false positives is minimal."
    • "I don't know if it is possible, but I would like to see Artificial Intelligence and machine learning introduced."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and we deploy it on our customer's sites for email security.

What is most valuable?

This solution has many good features. The number of false positives is minimal.

It is easy to use and integrates well with FortiSandbox.

It's very contextual, and the reporting is good.

What needs improvement?

There have been many improvements with the migration from 6.0.

I don't know if it is possible, but I would like to see Artificial Intelligence and machine learning introduced. It would allow for more detailed threat identification.

I have been using FortiMail for five years.

This is a very stable product and all of our customers are happy that we use it.

This solution is scalable.

We have 10 customers who have purchased it and we have two operators who work with the accounts.

From a technical aspect, we have no issues as we have two or three team members who are certified in this product.

Previously, we have not used any other products. We have heard of Cisco but have not worked with this product.

The initial setup is straightforward, not at all complex. It was very easy.

It is very intuitive and easy to deploy.

Our in-house team deploys and maintains it.

Approximately five years ago the price was low. Now the price is a bit on the high side.

I understand it is because the product comes with a vendor license. One vendor can do many things.

The price is acceptable for the support license it includes.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage everyone to use this product. Many organizations that are concerned about security especially with email, need to deploy FortiMail.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Tariq-Mahmood
    Engineer with 1-10 employees
    Effective antispam feature, simple installation, helpful support
    • "Fortinet FortiMail's most valuable features are antispam, antivirus, database, and data loss prevention (DLP)."
    • "Fortinet FortiMail could improve general user management. There are no password policies for users."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Fortinet FortiMail for safe emailing. We use two versions of the solution 200E and 1000D.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet FortiMail's most valuable features are antispam, antivirus, database, and data loss prevention (DLP).

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiMail could improve general user management. There are no password policies for users.

I have been using Fortinet FortiMail for approximately four years.

The stability and performance of the solution have been great. We have not had any problems since we have been using it.

The scalability of the solution depends on the version you have. If you have the 200E it has a maximum of 150 users and the 1000D maximum is 1000. These versions are for small to medium-sized companies.

In the 200E version of Fortinet FortiMail we have approximately 70 users and in the 1000D version have approximately 600 users.

We had an issue with the solution and the support was very helpful. The technical team is knowledgeable and they have given us remote support that has been very good in helping us resolve issues.

The installation is straightforward and it took approximately one hour.

I did the implementation myself.

I have evaluated Palo Alto and their technology is better than Fortinet. However, for email, Fortinet FortiMail is the best.

What other advice do I have?

If someone is looking for an on-premise private email server, I would recommend FortiMail. If they have no concerns over privacy then there are cloud solutions available.

I rate Fortinet FortiMail an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
    Email Security
    Download our free Fortinet FortiMail Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.