IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Fortinet FortiMail OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiMail is #5 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiMail an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiMail is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Office 365: Fortinet FortiMail vs Microsoft Defender for Office 365. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 38% of all views.
What is Fortinet FortiMail?

FortiMail appliances and virtual appliances are proven, powerful email security platforms for any size organization — from small businesses to carriers, service providers, and large enterprises. Purpose-built for the most demanding messaging systems, FortiMail appliances employ Fortinet’s years of experience in protecting networks against spam, malware, and other message-borne threats.

Fortinet FortiMail was previously known as FortiMail.

Fortinet FortiMail Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiMail Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Fortinet FortiMail Customers

Magromer Cueros y Pieles S.A.

Fortinet FortiMail Video

Fortinet FortiMail Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiMail pricing:
  • "In terms of licensing, we are using a virtual machine license for the single virtual server which it runs on. Doing it this way enables us to cut costs by only licensing FortiMail for our exact use case. If you need to expand in future, you can later buy extra licenses per virtual machine."
  • "9,000 Euro per annum for Fortinet Mail and sandbox."
  • "The pricing is good."
  • "The price is acceptable for the support license it includes."
  • Fortinet FortiMail Reviews

Ahmet Coruk - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-founder at Korunet
    The GUI is easy to use, setup is simple, and support is responsive
    • "The GUI isn't hard to use. When we do a demo and explain the features of Fortinet products to our customers, they understand very quickly. They can easily manage their systems without us."
    • "Maybe FortiMail's integration could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator company, so we are installing to these products, the different customers.  We explain Fortinet solutions to our customers, and if they want, we can do a proof of concept for one month or so. Then, if they are happy and want to move forward, we will install it on their site. After that, we provide support for one to three years, depending on the contract. I did the POC of FortiMail for three big companies, and later they had no budget because they ran into a cash flow problem, and we ended up just waiting. Still, we are contacting our customers and trying to sell the Fortinet product FortiMail.

What is most valuable?

The GUI isn't hard to use. When we do a demo and explain the features of Fortinet products to our customers, they understand very quickly. They can easily manage their systems without us. But other products are a little more complicated. For example, if we're talking about firewall systems, I use Palo Alto, but I prefer the Fortinet solution because it's easier to use. They're effortless. When I try to configure the SD-WAN, it's just one or two clicks. I can route all applications with the destination. It's no problem for me. The other configuration also is very easy. Palo Alto may be more powerful for inspection, but my priority is making the customer happy. Also, they have the Fabric architecture, so when we sell one Fortinet product to the government, we can easily sell the others because they have the Fabric architecture as well. We are working with other products from different companies, but if you ask about email solutions, we prefer FortiMail.

What needs improvement?

Maybe FortiMail's integration could be better.

I've been using FortiMail for about five years.
    Fortinet FortiMail
    May 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiMail. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
    597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.

FortiMail is very stable. We haven't had any problems with it.

FortiMail is highly scalable. We've installed it in big government agencies without any problems.

Fortinet's support responds very fast. Normally within Turkey, we can get support. We don't talk to the central Fortinet support. The Turkey partner program companies are enough for us. Currently, we have the high technical Fortinet certification, but sometimes we have trouble, so we contact the Fortinet Turkey technical managers and get a fast response from them.

Installation is effortless with all Fortinet products. With simple settings, the initial installation takes half an hour tops. Then, if the customer wants a custom configuration, that might take five additional minutes. Customers almost always want something, and we have to update the configuration. One admin is enough to handle everything. The admin has to talk to the customer. You can do some templates, but every customer's needs are different. For example, sending 5,000 emails from one source to a destination is a big problem. You could get flagged as spam. But for some personal reasons, this setup might be needed because the customer is in a relationship with others, so perhaps he will send advertising emails to the customers, so 5,000 is okay. You can allow just this functionality for just one person and deny it to others. So it's adaptable for the needs of each customer, but one admin guy is enough.

I don't know the price of other products, but the cost of FortiMail is moderate. The customers don't want to haggle. When they see what the solution can do, they are willing to pay for it. They are most likely getting quotes from various companies, and the Fortinet product is the most cost-effective. The performance is very high because they're trying all the products on their site. At the end of the day, they look at the performance and the price, and  Fortinet covers all the bases.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiMail nine out of 10. I don't know what other solution is the best, but we are happy with Fortinet products. We offer FortiMail to all our customers. For example, when I go to any customer to explain the different solutions, I mention FortiMail if they don't have a mail solution. Or perhaps they have another product that they're using, say Kaspersky Mail Protection, but they're not getting any support from Kaspersky, so nobody knows how it's working. They installed the device, but nobody provided them support. In a situation like this, our sales pitch for Fortinet is that we will provide three years of support. Also, Fortinet itself provides support for them 24-7, so they're getting a fast response from Fortinet.
    Database/Server Specialist Computer Services at a university with 201-500 employees
    Scalable, great for spam outbreaks, and offers great technical support
    • "The solution can scale."
    • "Sometimes it takes a little bit too long to determine if an email is good or not. If they could shorten that time span, it'd be so much better. It does delay our email, which does not make users happy. That said, I would have to say we have not been blacklisted for quite a while now."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for identifying spam, viruses, zero-day spamming, and any other kind of spam issues our organization might face.

What is most valuable?

We have several of these solutions in place. We do have, as of late, spam outbreaks. This solution has been pretty reliable in dealing with them.

The solution can scale.

The solution is mostly stable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it takes a little bit too long to determine if an email is good or not. If they could shorten that time span, it'd be so much better. It does delay our email, which does not make users happy. That said, I would have to say we have not been blacklisted for quite a while now.

Sometimes there are false positives.

When spam goes into system quarantine, it would be ideal if there was a safe way to let the users review the email in question and release it themselves, as opposed to having to wait on an administrator, to search for it and release it. It could be done securely. I understand why the system quarantines. However, a lot of users have their financial documents or lawyer's documents get thrown into the system quarantine and they're waiting on them. They need them within the hour as they are often time-sensitive matters. Due to this, they have to contact me. They wait for a while because they don't know when it's going to come, however, eventually they have to contact me. It's a delay. People understandably get very impatient.

There are some emails that go through that should be given a login code - for example, like whenever you're signing up for Microsoft in the cloud and they have to send you a login code. These codes from well-known vendors get stuck in the spam outbreak. They get stuck in different places.

Whitelisting should be a little bit friendlier for the users. It was actually easier a few versions back. Once you logged into your Fortimail account, you could whitelist very easily. Now, you have to kind of navigate through the email to do it. We cannot turn on the auto whitelist feature on because then there are users that will download anything without thinking, so we never use the auto whitelist feature. That's why it's so important to make whitelisting individually an easy task.

I've used the solution within the last 12 months.

The stability of the solution is mainly good. We do occasionally get false positives, however, it's rare.

It is very scalable and it does work well for what it's doing.

We've been satisfied with the technical support. They always are able to help us with upgrades and implementations. We find them to be quite knowledgeable.

For us, the setup is pretty straightforward. However, it's that way due to the fact that we use technical support to assist us. If we were to do it on our own, it may be difficult to implement. It's not something that I could just pull up and do on my own. I don't feel like I could. The knowledge of the engineers is very beneficial.

In our use case scenario, we do have support to help us set it up. In all the scenarios, even when I migrate to another upgrade or to a different box, even though we've had this for several years, we always use support.

We did evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. If it weren't for issues surrounding quarantining emails, I'd rate it higher.

Fortinet FortiMail
    May 2022
    597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Giorgi Sakhokia - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Officer at State Audit Office
    Safeguards our company's emails with minimal configuration and no stress
    • "FortiMail is extremely flexible and very easy to learn. Compared to other email security products that we've tried, it is mainly the ease of configuration that makes FortiMail valuable to us."
    • "I have little to say about possible improvements, but the configuration for content blocking could be better. So, for example, if the email includes the line "You have a Bitcoin", I would like it to be easier to block it before it enters an inbox. Fortinet could maybe offer better or simpler help on how to do this properly."

What is our primary use case?

We have FortiMail running on-premises on a virtual client. It is currently serving emails for about 400 employees that we have here. All this is taking place on the same server, and for the past three months it has been our main guarantee for email security.

How has it helped my organization?

FortiMail has taken good care of the deliverability and security of emails within our organization, protecting our many users from all kinds of security threats.

What is most valuable?

It doesn't take an engineer to be able to get up and running with FortiMail, and one can get by with little more than the online documentation and YouTube, for example.

What needs improvement?

I have little to say about possible improvements, but the configuration for content blocking could be better. So, for example, if the email text and/or subject includes any kind of keyword and/or phrase, for example "You have a Bitcoin", I would like it to be easier to block it before it enters an inbox. Fortinet could maybe offer better or simpler help on how to do this properly.

Besides that, I feel that we have everything we need for our company with FortiMail.

Our company has been using Fortinet FortiMail for three months now.

During testing we have found FortiMail to be very stable and there have been no major incidents. It is one of the most stable Fortinet products we have used.

We have successfully used FortiMail for around 400 email users so far. It is very flexible.

We don't have any experience with the official international support because our partners at High Tech Solutions in Georgia, with whom we have a close business relationship, are our main support channel.

They are highly professional, well-educated, and always available to help us. Even when working hours are over, they are happy to offer support from their excellent engineers. They truly stand behind Fortinet products and it shows.

For email security purposes, we previously used Barracuda Firewall. We had the firewall installed in the system which we were using for free emails. Now we are transforming our system to use FortiMail as it is more of an all-in-one solution that has everything we need.

FortiMail is very easy to set up and configure. This is one of the main reasons why we enjoy using it.

There is just one guy who works on the admin and configuration, and an InfoSec officer who looks into incidents by analyzing events and logs. Beyond that, we also receive input from the head of department and other management.

We could have continued with Barracuda, but after trying out FortiMail for a short time, we now prefer it over Barracuda.

What other advice do I have?

After three months of evaluating FortiMail, it has exceeded our expectations and we will definitely continue using it.

I would rate Fortinet FortiMail a ten out of ten.

Dikeos Davakis - PeerSpot reviewer
    ICT Manager at Nic. J. Theocarakis
    Secure with a very clean user interface and sandbox feature
    • "Clean user interface and good sandbox."
    • "The statistics and BI in general could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution provides security for our mail system. We're a group of companies, mainly dealing with car importation and distribution, and I'm the CIO.

What is most valuable?

This solution has a very clean user interface. It's agnostic to whatever environment you're using behind it. My email servers are HCL Domino servers now and it's easy to implement - they have very good sandbox for checking email without the danger of opening them.

What needs improvement?

I think their statistics and the BI in general could be improved. By that I mean the feedback the admin can take from the reporting. We're in the process of moving to Microsoft 365. We have discussed employing the Fortinet cloud solution with them, because right now we're using the on-premise solution. I don't know how it's going to play out in the cloud version.

I've been using this solution for five years.

It does the job that it needs to do, it's quite stable.

I haven't checked the scalability, because we have bought the larger version, which is the 32 VMs. I think it's pretty scalable. We have around 400 users, basically everybody in the company and we use it as a gateway. It gets all the email and takes it from our mail servers. We have two people in the company maintaining the solution and two others monitoring things.

We have a contract with a partner for technical support, not Fortinet Greece. We used to use Fortinet Greece, but they're mainly sales engineers so we took on a partner. We're satisfied with them.

We used another solution several years back. The trigger to move to Fortinet was a virus, a ransomware and that's when we switched to Forti products. We're happy with things.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward, it was easy to implement.

We're using two products, the FortiSandbox, which is actually the sandbox environment of FortiMail and FortiMail. We're paying about 9,000 Euros per year for those two products. It is pretty cost-effective for Greece. Fortinet is very aggressive with their pricing.

The other options we looked at were Check Point perhaps or Barracuda. Either they didn't have the sandbox solution or it wasn't as centralized as we wanted and they were more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know what you're aiming for beforehand and what your environment needs in terms of implementation. It requires being very explicit so you can know what to set up with it. Things such as rules and domains that you can work with. You have to know your environment well.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Nikorn Soemklang - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director - Technical & Services at Bangkok Business Solutions
    Great anti-spam and blocking capabilities with an initial easy setup
    • "It can block a lot of fake emails."
    • "It can be easier to configure or connect to the cloud to report on the attachments."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily just use the product as an email gateway for our email server.

How has it helped my organization?

Before I used the solution, I got a lot of spam emails.

What is most valuable?

The anti-spam and the IPS to help block items and attachments that come with the email are both quite helpful. It can block a lot of fake emails.

The initial setup is easy.

I have found the product to be stable.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

So far I don't need any improvements right now. I'm quite happy with the product as-is.

At some point, FortiMail and Fortigate should merge together in one box. If they did that, it would be really helpful for the user.

I've been using the solution for one year.

It is, overall, a stable solution. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable and the performance is good.

Currently, I'm using it for around 600 to 700 email users. It still performs quite well for me. There is no delay to speak of.

I've never used technical support and have never reached out to them in the past.

I'm also familiar with Cisco. This product is easier to set up than Cisco.

We found the initial setup process to be very simple. It's not difficult.

The pricing is very reasonable. It's not overly expensive. We pay a yearly licensing fee.

I compared quite a few options with Cisco. In the end, this was the cost-effective option and the features are excellent.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

The version we are using is the newest one, as I already updated the OS and I just bought it last year.

For those considering the solution, they better have a very clear idea about how they will place the FortiMail in their network. For example, either as the email server itself or as the email gateway. If you decided correctly in the first place, then you can configure it easily.

FortiMail has a low cost and high support. Support is very helpful, however, so far, I don't need to use them at all. At the very least, I have someone that I can call and ask questions in Thai. This is not the case, for example, with Cisco.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten. I'll rate it higher when it can be easier to configure or connect to the cloud to report on the attachments.

Senior Security Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good logging, and reporting capabilities, a large number of features, and has good technical support
    • "The integration with FortiSandbox is good, and something that we utilize often."
    • "High Availability needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiMail for our email gateway. It's an anti-spam. It secures emails from all anti-spam emails, as well as Malware, which is an email from phishing attacks, from whatever Malware is in the email, that are sent to the company as well as outbound emails.

We are using InPost to secure both inbound and outbound emails. As a result, no one, not even from within the company, can send an anti-spam message to the outside world.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good product.

The integration with FortiSandbox is good, and something that we utilize often.

FortiSandbox refers to any files that are sent via email. FortiMail takes the file and forwards it to the FortiSandbox to analyze the file and sends the report to the FortiMail, who can then release or stop the email.

Both logging and reporting are very good, as well as the antivirus profiles, content emails, content profile, and application profile.

They have good transparency of customizations.

We use all of the product's features, including anti-spam profiles, content profiles, and antivirus profiles.

What needs improvement?

High Availability needs improvement. It doesn't have good HA.

It has a lot of flexibility and customizations, but it's a lot. If you don't know what was done, you will be lost, you know that one. As a result, the customization possibly affected the complexity of the configuration.

I have been working with Fortinet FortiMail for six years.

We are working with version 6.0.

Fortinet FortiMail is a very stable solution.

We didn't need to think about scalability because we didn't have a use case.

We have 250 users in our company.

We are now using it for more than just email security. It functions as the SMCB Gateway, which is in another mode.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We don't require a lot of staff to maintain this solution.

This solution is used extensively. We rely on it to keep our emails secure.

The first installation was done through FortiMail, and we then deployed it two or three times more.

The vendor assisted us the first time it was deployed.

The pricing is good.

Licensing fees are paid yearly.

There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I believe that the only thing you may require in the initial deployment is assistance from Fortinet itself to show you how to deploy it. It is better t have a good experience and gain knowledge to avoid false positives.

I would rate Fortinet FortiMail a nine out of ten. It has most of all of the features that we need.

Daouda DEMBELE - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner at TECHNICOM
    Easy to use, has good reporting, and the number of false positives is minimal
    • "The number of false positives is minimal."
    • "I don't know if it is possible, but I would like to see Artificial Intelligence and machine learning introduced."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and we deploy it on our customer's sites for email security.

What is most valuable?

This solution has many good features. The number of false positives is minimal.

It is easy to use and integrates well with FortiSandbox.

It's very contextual, and the reporting is good.

What needs improvement?

There have been many improvements with the migration from 6.0.

I don't know if it is possible, but I would like to see Artificial Intelligence and machine learning introduced. It would allow for more detailed threat identification.

I have been using FortiMail for five years.

This is a very stable product and all of our customers are happy that we use it.

This solution is scalable.

We have 10 customers who have purchased it and we have two operators who work with the accounts.

From a technical aspect, we have no issues as we have two or three team members who are certified in this product.

Previously, we have not used any other products. We have heard of Cisco but have not worked with this product.

The initial setup is straightforward, not at all complex. It was very easy.

It is very intuitive and easy to deploy.

Our in-house team deploys and maintains it.

Approximately five years ago the price was low. Now the price is a bit on the high side.

I understand it is because the product comes with a vendor license. One vendor can do many things.

The price is acceptable for the support license it includes.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage everyone to use this product. Many organizations that are concerned about security especially with email, need to deploy FortiMail.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Ahmed Hawana - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network and Security Engineer at IDSC
    Easy to use with good pricing and security
    • "Its performance is very good and it is stable."
    • "It is not easy to install."

What is our primary use case?

The product is the main gateway to protect us from spam and/or malicious mail activities.

What is most valuable?

It is a great product.

The product is easy to use.

Its performance is very good and it is stable.

We've found the product offers fair, reasonable pricing.

The security is quite good overall.

What needs improvement?

It could continue to improve the user experience.

It is not easy to install.

In terms of FortiMail, we have been using it for about five years.

We have found the solution to be very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable.

We have about 1,000 users on the solution currently.

I'm not sure if we plan to increase usage. I don't have visibility on those types of decisions.

Technical support is good. We depend on them a lot and contact them often. We contact them approximately once a month.

The initial setup is not easy to handle on your own. I, for example, required the assistance of a vendor.

The initial deployment took about 14 working days, about half a month or so.

We have two technical people, engineers, that can manage the product.

I needed help from the vendor. I did not implement the solution myself.

The pricing is very good. It's not overly expensive.

We pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten. We've had a good experience with the product.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Download our free Fortinet FortiMail Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: May 2022