Equalum OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Equalum is the #2 ranked solution in top Data Replication tools, #9 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Integration tools, and #12 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Equalum an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Equalum is most commonly compared to Fivetran: Equalum vs Fivetran. Equalum is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 15% of all views.
Equalum Buyer's Guide

Download the Equalum Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2023

What is Equalum?

Equalum is a fully-managed, end-to-end data integration and real-time data streaming platform, powered by industry-leading change data capture (CDC) tech and modern data transformation capabilities (streaming ETL and ELT). Equalum's enterprise-grade platform features intuitive UI allowing you to build robust, real-time data pipelines in minutes.

Equalum Customers

SIEMENS, GSK, Wal-Mart, T Systems

Equalum Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Equalum pricing:
  • "Equalum was reasonably priced. It is not like those million dollar tools, such as Informatica."
  • "As soon as you have more than six users, Equalum is lower in cost [than Talend] and if the group gets bigger, it's quite a big delta. If more users want to use it, you don't end up with an increase in licensing costs, so that makes it very easy. And if you need more licenses or more sources, it's a very simple upgrade methodology."
  • "Equalum is rather expensive compared to its competitors. So, you have to make up that cost in time savings, and we usually do that. If we are saving money, it is because we are reducing our development time."
  • "Equalum licensing costs vary, but I won't be able to give information on its fees."
  • Equalum Reviews

Software Engineer Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides a self-managed, self-healing system where I don't have to do many actions
    • "All our architectural use cases are on a single platform, not multiple platforms. You don't have to dump into different modules because it is the same module everywhere."
    • "I should be able to see only my project versus somebody else's garbage. That is something that would be good in future. Right now, the security is by tenants, but I would like to have it by project, e.g., this project has this source and flows in these streams, and I have access to this on this site."

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for some ETL tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We were writing data from one source to target using 5,000 websites. No matter how genetic you make it, it is never genetic. Also, some things will change requirements-wise. A tool should be easy for a support group to support. They do not need to have access to Linux or wherever Python scripts are running to figure out how to do the logging. Now, I am just opening a box to them, and saying, "This is what you need to do in Equalum." They have to just point and click, which is operational efficiency. It increased my efficiency by 80 percent by wrapping things around it, e.g., the callable API from my application. It really helps with building, support, and monitoring. It is all in the UI.

It has improved our data accuracy. It tells you where things are not matching. For example, bad dates were coming in and the target database would not accept this format. So, Equalum will tell me if there is a problem over there. For error logging and error messaging, it is very efficient. It tells you what the problem is, e.g., your data type is not long enough on the targets. The logging is efficient, very detailed, and will also tell you where the problem is. You can fix the data, transform it, or change the target to accept that type of data. The accuracy is 100 percent. I have not seen any data anomalies.

I do batch loads and write them to temporary/work/staging tables. From there, I want to write them to the real table. When I go over the network with a million letters, if I'm writing to a table by deleting the data and writing it again, that might take two to three minutes. My data will disappear for that time. However, if I am writing from a staging table to another table in the database, like MemSQL, it takes only a few seconds for me to write within MemSQL itself. So, my data disappearing is minimized. For that, I am required to follow a procedure to move the data from the staging table to the final table, and they added that functionality for us by integrating with other database technology and functions. This is one example of integrating other things into the tool.

What is most valuable?

Their performance monitoring (how things are flowing) is very visual, if something is failing, you can see it in there at the higher level, e.g., your sources are down, your agent is down, or your flow is not running. All those kinds of things are very visual. You just log into the tool and can see what is happening.

The alerting system is getting better with every release.

It takes me an hour to transition the solution's knowledge to somebody else. It is really efficient that way. I haven't seen any complications.

All our architectural use cases are on a single platform, not multiple platforms. You don't have to dump into different modules because it is the same module everywhere.

It is a self-managed, self-healing system. For example, I have been getting alerts on CPU usage. They say, "CPU usage is high." Then, it sends me a warning or critical alert within seconds so I can see that it has been resolved. For example, if the database goes down, then it stops at that point, keeps on trying until the database comes up, and begins to heal itself. So, it is self-recovering and self-healing. It is the same for the target. If the target goes down, it sends you an alert saying, "The target has gone down." I don't worry about it. I can ignore the alert, because when Target comes back, it starts all over again. I really like self-recovering and self-healing because I don't need to take many actions.

Initially, I wanted the incremental data loss too and batch. So, they put those together very fast for our security. Initially, it was very basic, then they enhanced it to the level that we wanted it. So, they came back with a solution quickly. Alerting is another feature that they put together, but we did not ask for that.

In multi-tenant architecture, if I am in finance and another department is on the operations' side, then we don't have to go into each other's area. We can have our own separation of products, which is pretty cool.

What needs improvement?

When we bought the tool, some of the features were missing, but we knew the power of the ETL was very good.

Initially, I wanted scheduling within the tool itself, which is not there. However, I am using another open source software scheduling tool, Rundeck, which calls the Equalum APIs and runs them on the Equalum server. That was a workable solution for me to schedule the data loads. I wanted something with a UI interface where I could schedule within the tool, which is an improvement point for them. Right now, I have a workaround.

For any application that you start, if it doesn't have a feature but is integratable with other applications, then it is a good tool. We are working with DB2, and there are some roadblocks there for us, but we are working through those.

Something not in the tool is a CLI interface. The interface is not open to everybody. It is very restricted to admins, a DBA, like me.

Equalum
    March 2023
    Learn what your peers think about Equalum. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2023.
    688,618 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using it for two and a half to three years.

Knock on wood, it doesn't break down that much unless the network goes down, and there is nothing you can do about that. So, I have not seen any problems so far.

They do different loads now:

1. Direct source
    2. Others go to Kafka Architecture and keep on getting the data from there.

Kafka Architecture also provides stability.

We started with a three-node cluster. As we are growing, we are seeing so many flows coming through. We are hoping to extend it, maybe creating another cluster or set of clusters. When it comes to scalability, we haven't done it yet. We have so many projects in there with a lot of data going back and forth. However, we are thinking about it as we grow. It should not be an issue.

On my team, we are only two to three people who do streams and loading for their own projects and systems. I have one DBA who helps me out on the SQL Server side. We have 10 divisions, and in those 10 divisions, I have the same flow names and table names. Everything is the same, except the schema is different. They gave us the specs to copy over, so I have saved time. So, whenever a new division comes in, we just copy over and replicate. This creates the flows and streams from the background on the command line interface.

It is being used for around seven projects: document management system data, financial data, and sending data to other systems or different projects.

Their technical support is amazing. They are on Slack all the time. We check with them and send messages. They have this site where you can see the tickets. For example, if a flow keeps on failing, then I just send it to them, asking, "It is failing. What is the reason?" Most of the time they can come up with the error message regarding the issue, then either we can fix it on our side or they fix it on their side by finding the issue. Their support is 24/7.

They are very technical, even the customer support who is not just taking your requests, and saying, "Let me go back to the technical team, then I'll come back to you." They are the point person who knows everything about the tool technically, in and out. If they can't, then it goes to the technical team. That is the good part.

The way that they are growing is pretty efficient for us. They come and ask, "What else do you want?" Then, we tell them, "This is what we want." Initially, for example, security was not there, but they developed a patch for us, because that was a concern. Also, they develop alerts very fast.

I keep on sending them issues every now and then. They are a very smart group of people and developers who know what they are doing, which is a good thing. They know if somebody is asking for something that it is a good collaboration for them.

I have extensive experience with ETL tools, starting from Oracle Warehouse Builder to Informatica. So, we were looking for something that can do change data capture (CDC) for us.

Previously, we did not have an ETL tool.

The ETL deployments were very straightforward.

The PoC was good. The changes came in right away. Then, we could start using the tool, which was installed on our system.

It is not that bad to set up a flow from a table. If I had to copy 10 tables from a source to a target, then I would have to prepare 10 flows. So, they came up with something called schema Replication Groups. So, I can go in a schema, and say, "I want to copy over that application group for 10 tables." Then, it will create the steps on the target, tables, etc. I can modify those tables, if I want to, and map them again. This makes it more efficient for you to copy data to multiple tables at that time .

I am finding it very efficient for my team. When it comes to device usage, people need to move from the old architecture to new architecture, which is a big effort, and that will take time. We like the solution, but we cannot just stop operations which are happening and move onto this tool. Eventually, that is a direction that we will go.

With a very small footprint, all we had to do is put the hardware together for them. They installed everything for us, which was very convenient for us.

They did the deployment overnight. We didn't do it. We just had to set up the servers, authorizations of the server, and the three-node cluster. After that, they took it over. So, they did that stage first, then they did production after that.

When they came, they did CDC for us, but usually requirements and even more than CDC. For example, if you are in an old lab type of environment, CDC is not the most efficient solution. You want to do some queries based on certain criteria to get incremental loads. That is something that they developed for us pretty quickly, within a month or so.

Equalum has access to our structure. They upgrade and maintain the solution for us.

Equalum team handles the deployment completely for us. Once they have deployed it to staging, we do some testing, which requires a day or so from us. We want to make sure before we approve it for production that everything works in staging.

Cost-savings-wise, if I had to do all the Python scripting and using libraries myself, then there would be so much research involved. I might need a few more developers to do it. Now, with Equalum, one person can just keep on creating streams and loading.

It does save you time and money in so many ways at the end of the day. Equalum gave us a solution to copy over and change a few things here and there, instead of creating and developing everything each time a new division joins the company.

Equalum was reasonably priced. It is not like those million dollar tools, such as Informatica.

If you want to buy it, watch Equalum's YouTube videos first.

We tried a few other ones before we got into Equalum, like Striim and StreamSets. The reason that we were looking at small companies or products, which are not too expensive, was because we adapted some technology called MemSQL. This is a database technology, and we were trying different products with smaller vendors or product owners who were willing to work with us to change their tools to step into our organization. So, we tried that, but the problem was we were getting data from Oracle to MemSQL, and those other tools could not perform on CDC from Oracle. It was super slow because they are not mature yet. So, we tried that, then left it because it was not working for us.

There were some solutions that we didn't want to touch, like Informatica, which are enormously expensive. You had to really plan, budget, and get that approved.

We wanted a small solution to just get more data over here and there. I am still writing the scripts left and right. Maintaining tests was another issue. The scripts are open too, where people can access them. If they get broken, you never know who broke it. That manageability is a big thing for me.

Equalum was another one tool that I found. As soon as we contacted Equalum, they wanted to come and do the free PoC for us, going right to MemSQL from Oracle. So, they came for a week, staying online. They worked with our system, proving the solution will work for us.

Equalum's performance and UI were good at the time of evaluation. Other products did not have such an efficient, good UI. There were quite a few things which impressed our management and directors of operations. Everybody thought this was the tool for us to try.

Other tools were like a black box for me, which was not the case with Equalum.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It is a good tool. They are growing. Hop in now and take advantage of their pricing. The tool is worth it

It is a very intuitive tool. You don't have to do much in it, just map the things and it works.

I can use Equalum's API in other tools.

They have implemented MongoDB.

Initially, they had the Oracle CDC using Oracle LogMiner. Then, they came out with Oracle Binary Log Parser, which was super expensive: Same as Informatica. They were charging for everything, even the PoC. At that time, we were saying, "Equalum, you should have binary reads too." However, when you have a scope of a project for a growing product, you have to prioritize things.

They are now coming out with the latest version Oracle Binary Log Parser, which they installed for us. The next version will be even better. It has very good collaboration with their clients. It is not just Oracle Database features that they are putting in. I think pretty much every other client gives them requests, then they put them in the priority list and they keep on growing with them.

They just introduced Oracle Binary Log Parser. Two to three months back, we tested it. It is faster than LogMiner by 30 to 40 percent, which is an improvement time-wise. We have not implemented it yet. I would like to implement it for any new project. I have to find time to do that. I haven't worked on changing the existing one from LogMiner to Binary Log Parser. I have to work with Equalum on how redo all of them or how we can switch over to Binary Log Parser. It is not the highest priority, but if tomorrow I have to do a new project, then I would go with Oracle Binary Log Parser.

There is a lot of promise in the future, which is something to think about. We do plan to increase usage. We have a lot of projects coming up. I want to experiment with it in more ways, like with Kafka as a source and as a target where we can distribute data to multiple applications. There are quite a few things in our pipeline. It is just finding time to figure out how we can do them. We have not fully explored this tool yet. It has a lot of potential, especially the transformation and creating workflows, which has very simple data replication to the target.

Overall, I would rate Equalum as a nine out of 10.

Partner at Gulf Consulting
    The no-code UI saves our clients on outsourced engineering resources, while streamlined architecture reduces complexities
    • "Equalum provides a single platform for core architectural use cases, including CDC replication, streaming ETL, and batch ETL. That is important to our clients because there is no other single-focus product that covers these areas in that much detail, and with this many features on the platform. The fact that they are single-minded and focused on CDC and ETL makes this such a rich solution. Other solutions cover these things a little bit in their multi-function products, but they don't go as deep."
    • "There is not enough proven integration with other vendors. That is what needs to be worked on. Equalum hasn't tested anything between vendors, which worries our clients. We need more proven vendor integration. It is an expensive product and it needs to support a multi-vendor approach."

What is our primary use case?

We are Equalum consultants for our clients. We sell it as a service and we're selling it as a product.

We are using the SaaS version but the predominant request from clients is to have it on-premises. That's more because of political reasons, as the public cloud is not really trusted too much.

How has it helped my organization?

Because we've only been using it for about the last four months, it's more in PoCs than in an actual working environment. But so far, we have been able to demonstrate the speed of creating ETL solutions, which is something that was not possible with any other product in the market. In proofs of concept, we have demonstrated the ease of use of the product and the short time it takes to learn.

In the testing, Equalum has definitely resulted in system performance improvements. We will hopefully be in a deployment stage soon. It has been slow because of the whole global situation with COVID, but in the proofs of concept, we have seen quick improvements in performance.

We have also seen improvements in the speed of data delivery. That's something that is visible very quickly. While I don't have exact numbers, we're talking about a significant improvement. It's not just a few percent. It's half the time or more.

The no-code UI, with Kafka and Spark fully managed in the platform engine, is what made us take the product in. This is the big issue in the market where we operate. It's extremely important because, currently, alternative solutions require our clients to bring in a lot of engineering resources. They have to outsource part of their work because those solutions are too complex. We are able to give them a solution which they can manage with in-house expertise, because things are greatly simplified compared to alternative solutions. That's all due to zero coding. You still need to know what you're doing, but the learning curve is quite short.

The effect of the solution on our data architecture is still a process in motion. But for new implementations, we are integrating it in a way that makes for a much more streamlined architecture. We have been able to take some complexities out of the data architecture by introducing Equalum. It is helping us implement a project that would not exist without Equalum. We will see a revenue increase, and our clients will see a cost reduction because they will be able to reduce outsourced staffing, by one-third to two-thirds. And that is why the ROI is so good.

What is most valuable?

For us, one of the most valuable features is the zero-coding part, which makes it a lot easier to accomplish the building of data pipelines. The interface goes hand-in-hand with the zero coding and provides an immediate response to anything that you code. You have a real-time view of the input and output. That is extremely important because this is the type of work where you work for a week, and then you find out you have to go back to the source. The zero coding and the user interface are the elements that sell the product.

The second one is more to do with how we work with Equalum. It's not necessarily a product feature, but more a company-related feature. It's the flexibility of their company, how they respond to us. That is quite important for a new product and they are definitely very supportive. Whatever needs to be done, they do it, 24-hours-a-day, if necessary. That's what separates it and why we think it's a successful solution.

Equalum provides a single platform for core architectural use cases, including CDC replication, streaming ETL, and batch ETL. That is important to our clients because there is no other single-focus product that covers these areas in that much detail, and with this many features on the platform. The fact that they are single-minded and focused on CDC and ETL makes this such a rich solution. Other solutions cover these things a little bit in their multi-function products, but they don't go as deep. At the end of the day, that's why a client pays for the license.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the product as it's designed, we haven't really seen any flaws. It's doing what it's supposed to do. However, there is not enough proven integration with other vendors. That is what needs to be worked on. Equalum hasn't tested anything between vendors, which worries our clients. We need more proven vendor integration. It is an expensive product and it needs to support a multi-vendor approach.

A proven integration would be that two vendors, let's say Cloudera and Equalum, agree that this is a product that works seamlessly with the other product. That includes testing the functionality and even looking at the support model. If you have a multi-vendor environment, you want to know who to call if there is an issue. For large investments, these kinds of things are bottlenecks, and they cause clients to stay with their incumbent suppliers, because of ease of use and not because of the technical quality.

This is not something that can be solved in the field. This has to be done strategically by the vendor.

We have been an Equalum partner since December 2020.

Since we don't have it in a full, working production environment, I can't provide detailed feedback on the stability. What have we seen in the testing environment is that there has never been an error. It has never been unstable. But obviously, when you start to throw terabytes of data at it, then you will know if it's doing everything it's supposed to.

Scaling it is very easy because of the unlimited number of users. In that respect, it's better than the competitive products. If more users want to use it, you don't end up with an increase in licensing costs, so that makes it very easy. And if you need more licenses or more sources, it's a very simple upgrade methodology. Obviously, you need to have the hardware for it, but that's outside of the Equalum solution.

We're very happy with the support that we receive. It's almost like we're part of the company.

It's quite easy to set up. The first one took time, but the setups after that have been very fast. We are not seeing any difficulties. We can do it very fast.

The last one took our CTO half a day, but that was because certain folders weren't setting up automatically. But in general, setting it up takes half an hour. That does not include migrating data, as that will always take longer.

Overall, increasing capacity is a very easy, straightforward process. Scaling it is, absolutely, much easier to achieve than with competitive products.

We have looked at Talend, for instance. We have also seen MicroStrategy. We have different vendors for different projects, but Talend was the one that we just competed against. They price per-user, so if you have a very small number of users, Talend is cheaper. But this is not a common reality. Most companies will have more than a few users. As soon as you have more than six users, Equalum is lower in cost, and if the group gets bigger, it's quite a big delta.

On the other hand, Talend and some others have an enormous number of features already embedded in their platforms. They have something like 300 features, and if you use them then it's perfect. That is the pro for these other products: they have richer feature sets. There are also more people who are able to use them because they have been in the market longer. You'll more easily find engineers to help with implementation. But the beauty of Equalam is that it's actually quite a slimmed-down product, which has just two line-items to order. And if you want to expand it, you just hook up more users. That's the absolute benefit of Equalum.

The user interface of all of them is good. The user interface of the competitive products is at a very high level. It's more a matter of preference. Some people like a more singular type of user interface, but all the products are at a very high level. The standards of these products on the design side are really high now. The advantage for Equalum is its real-time user interface, which is embedded in the product. Others don't seem to have that, so there are more steps to go through before you know if your coding has actually been effective.

As for the complexity of transformations Equalum is able to perform compared to the other solutions, we have not really done that kind of function with a lot of competitive products. From our testing, Equalum has a faster setup time for transformations, and we can create the output much faster as well, compared to other products that our clients are considering.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage clients to start testing it. There is a very good way to get pilots set up, and they very quickly show the benefits of Equalum, and this is an area that is very strategic to most large clients' operations. If you're now in batch processing and you need to move to real-time, this is the product that does it, and it does it very fast. Clients that take this area seriously need to test Equalum. Whether they decide in the end to choose it or not, that's a different story, but it cannot be avoided as a real solution that also creates quite good cost savings through its efficiency. Technically, there are others, but the fact that this can be used with much less knowledge of coding makes a huge difference in the marketplace.

In terms of Equalum improving data quality and accuracy, we haven't used it for that in a working environment. But in a demo and in proofs of concept we can show data quality. That's definitely one of the reasons to use it.

We are happy with the product.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner
    Equalum
    March 2023
    688,618 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Software Engineer at a retailer with 201-500 employees
    Reduced the time it takes to ingress data off of multiple S3 sources, do data processing, and format a schema
    • "Equalum has resulted in system performance improvements in our organization. Now, I am ingressing data off of multiple S3 sources, doing data processing, and formatting a schema. This would usually take me a couple of days, but now it takes me hours."
    • "Their UI could use some work. Also, they could make it just a little faster to get around their user interface. It could be a bit more intuitive with things like keyboard shortcuts."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for micro-batching of Kafka topics, which is like small, little bits of clickstream data. For almost all our use cases, the target of the data goes into our data warehousing solution, Snowflake. We also take large XML files from multiple parties, transform them, and put them into our Snowflake.

How has it helped my organization?

I am part of the data engineering/data science group and governance. I am a senior software engineer on the team. We ingest data from dozens of systems. We ingest that data through Equalum and orchestrate it. We then deploy it to our data warehousing solutions. Then, we work with the data science team to come up with more metrics/measurements.

Equalum has resulted in system performance improvements in our organization. Now, I am ingressing data off of multiple S3 sources, doing data processing, and formatting a schema. This would usually take me a couple of days, but now it takes me hours.

It has redefined how we architect our data system. Before, once a day, we would go and grab data. Now, a vast majority of the time, we are actively scanning for new data to come in. As much as possible, we try not to wait for a person to tell us the data is there. We actually actively go out and get it whenever we can. That is a big change for us. So, if somebody says that the file was supposed to be there at 8:00 PM, and it doesn't show up, that kind of mucks up your data flow. Now, if the data shows up at 8:01, you are already actively checking the directory, so you won't miss the file if they are late.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable feature is the change data capture (CDC). This is usually a little bit more of a pain if I was using an open source or other tools, but I find their change data capture and data query pretty intuitive.

Equalum provides a single platform for the following core architectural use cases: CDC replication, streaming ETL, and batch ETL. This is core to our company. I would score it as a nine out of 10. It is pretty much how we were moving all our data through their system.

The no-code part is useful. It is like a seven out of 10 for us. We are all software engineers, so it just helps speed up a lot of the data mapping. For example, I just did five documents now. It probably saved me 50 percent of my time.

What needs improvement?

Their UI could use some work. Also, they could make it just a little faster to get around their user interface. It could be a bit more intuitive with things like keyboard shortcuts. They already know this from me, because I have already complained to them about it.

I have been using it for a year and a half.

The stability has been okay. There have been some rough patches at times. It was on and off in the beginning.

It basically runs itself. We check in on it every day, because we use it all the time, but our team is pretty small.

The scalability has been pretty good. We have had to work with them with memory management, but it is more of a learning curve from us than from the system itself.

There are three or four people who use it. Most people just care about the end results, not necessarily the pipes.

Because it goes into a Snowflake, any of our data analysts, data scientists, and anybody who touches a Tableau dashboard are end users.

More than 90 percent of our data flows through Equalum. It is a core piece of our data platform.

I would rate their technical support as 10 out of 10. They are quite lovely. I can reach them pretty much 24/7. They are very responsive. We have a Slack channel with them. If we post something in it, they will respond within the hour and usually open a ticket. We sit with them once a week and go over the backlog. They are very hands-on and willing to talk about improvements in terms of the system. They take feedback very well. If they can't figure out the problem themselves, they will log onto our production or back-end systems, when we give them permission, helping us resolve problems faster.

They are pretty quick. They patch the system quickly when we find bugs. They will hotfix stuff for us. We are finding less stuff as we go along, but we are pretty picky.

Prior to using this solution, it was quite difficult, especially for real-time streaming. Most solutions that we had used before were batching. Moving over to Equalum, we went to more data streaming.

The initial setup is medium complex. It is semi-hosted. It is not a full-stack platform, so there is still hands-on stuff. For example, we wrote Terraform scripts to help deploy their whole system in our particular way that we wanted to do it.

The deployment didn't take long. Once we got the training wheels going, it was about a week or two. It was mostly just figuring out where and how we were going to run it.

Our original plan was a lot of SQL stuff. Now, we have moved onto mostly Kafka and more smaller micro-batching. So, we had to reconfigure the system as we evolved it. They have worked with us hand-in-hand to do that.

Deploying throughout the entire organization was pretty smooth. We have needed to reconfigure a few things here and there because our use cases have changed.

We had one or two people for the deployment. It was probably a week's worth of coding work to get it the way that we wanted to go operate it.

We worked with them pretty extensively and talked to them probably every week when doing our upgrade.

We have most definitely seen ROI with the ability to onboard data, i.e., the speed of business.

This solution has enabled us to consolidate the use of other tools. We are actively phasing out some other tools. We are probably saving an hour or two every day. We have gotten rid of Stitch Data, Airflow, and Luigi, which we are slowly replacing with Equalum.

We assessed several solutions, but Equalum beat most of them. We could actually see what was going on inside Equalum's systems. They have their low code interface, but we can get access to a vast majority of the back-end. So, it runs like Kafka and Spark, and that is what they are using, which allows us to use open source technology with it rather than be completely closed off from everything.

There are not a lot of other systems out there that I find as intuitive as Equalum, which can do some pretty complex stuff. We haven't used a ton of what we could do. We are converting the whole company over to data strings, so we haven't been able to take advantage of a ton of their more advanced features yet.

What other advice do I have?

Know your use cases, e.g., will you be doing a lot of micro-batching, database work, or pulling data straight off of Kafka topics?

The user interfaces are pretty good for data products. There is nothing amazing about it, but there is nothing that really detracts from it.

We don't do any data testing inside of Equalum. It doesn't mean that we couldn't, but we don't at the moment.

Eventually, when there are new data features coming out using Jupyter Notebooks, we will start incorporating those into our data science.

The biggest lesson learnt: How to operate a Kafka cluster in Spark and do it well.

I would rate it as a nine out of 10. Their customer support is phenomenal. Most companies usually sell it to you, then they disappear. Equalum is very interested in customer feedback.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Director of Enterprise Architecture at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    There is no better product for CDC and streaming on Kafka
    • "Equalum is real-time. If you are moving from an overnight process to a real-time process, there is always a difference in what reports and analytics show compared to what our operational system shows. Some of our organizations, especially finance, don't want those differences to be shown. Therefore, going to a real-time environment makes the data in one place match the data in another place. Data accuracy is almost instantaneous with this tool."
    • "The deployment of their flows needs improvement. It doesn't work with a typical Git branching and CI/CD deployment strategy."

What is our primary use case?

• Change data capture
    • Data streaming

Right now, it is on-premises. We will also be having the solution on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

CDC replication and data streaming are important to us. At our company, we are moving away from batch in ETL architecture towards a streaming architecture. So, I look at those two things as alternatives. You can stream or you can batch with Equalum. For batch architectures, there are other tools on the market which are superior because they offer more connectors. When it is a popular source and target, like Oracle and SQL Server, the batch works fine. However, the bestreason to use Equalum is for change data capture and data streaming.

We have been able to create features in some of our analytical environments, which probably would have not been possible without Equalum. The ability for Equalum to stream data in real time is very powerful.

Before using Equalum, our batch processes caused operation reports and our analytics environments to be in slight disagreement. Equalum has allowed us to close this gap. Data in different environments now match.

What is most valuable?

The ability to stream data out of Oracle and SQL Server databases onto Kafka topics. When using alternative technologies, there is usually a lot of software development. With Equalum, it is just configuration.

Equalum provides us with a single platform for the following core architectural use cases:

• CDC replication
    • Data Streaming
    • Batch ETL (though much less for this).

CDC replication and data streaming are very important to us. Batch ETL is not that important because we have other solutions for that.

What needs improvement?

The Equalum user interface is extremely easy to use. I would rank it really highly on user-friendliness. The only issue with the user interface is it doesn't supply everything that you need for somebody who has to work with Equalum. For example, when you get deep into development, there are many areas where you have to go to the command line to do things and the Equalum user interface does not have that functionality.

If you have multiple projects, all working in one Equalum environment, separating out their work is something that you have to design into your implementation, as opposed to baked into the product.

I have used it for about a year and a half.

Stability is probably where I would give this solution its weakest marks but it is partially our fault. At our company, we have asked Equalum to create new features. Therefore, we are taking very frequent updates from the vendor. Because of that, we expect stability issues. If you stay with their stable releases, you will not have any issues. It is stable.

It is very scalable. You can scale vertically and horizontally with multiple machines. You can also scale with multiple clusters. Equalum has some third-party products, like OEMs, integrated into their products, e.g., the logging and monitoring that you can remove off the Equalum cluster and stick on its own machine. There are a lot of ways to scale, but environments become more complex when you do that.

I would put people who work with Equalum into two categories:

1. The group who supports it: We have three people, but they don't support Equalum full-time. That group has a few data products and all three of them support those data products.
    2. Working with Equalum, we probably have around 20 to 25 developers who are developing Equalum flows for various products. We expect that to grow.

We have eliminated the use of StreamSets and have greatly reduced the use of Informatica. We have mostly seen time savings. We switched from StreamSets because of superior change data capture with Equalum.

It is extremely important to us that the solution provides a no-code UI, with Kafka and Spark fully managed in the platform engine. It is why we purchased Equalum. We have scenarios where data is changing in one of our source systems, and we want to be alerted of certain kinds of changes.

Previously, we had the right Kafka producers and Kafka consumers. Even before Kafka, we had these things working on IBM MQ series. These integrations are very complex and difficult to maintain. With Equalum, you are using a graphical UI and connecting to the source. In a few minutes, you are configuring the tool, then live streaming data out of the source and into your target.

Our initial plan was just deploying Equalum on one server because we wanted Equalum to prove itself. So, we bought a very modest license for Equalum. After about six months with a lot of success using Equalum, we planned a larger deployment. Now, we have several instances of three-node clusters with Equalum.

Our first deployment was more of an evaluation. The vendor came in and helped us with the deployment. The vendor was very good initially with support, then throughout our process. They were very reactive and willing to help. The people who supported us were extremely knowledgeable.

It saves time in development. An integration with Equalum is approximately five times faster to develop than an integration without Equalum. Even with competitor's tools to Equalum, Equalum is still a more productive environment to work in. It is about five times faster than not using a tool and probably twice as fast as using a competitor's tool.

The unlimited license is a couple of million dollars a year. So, we aren't expecting a return on investment for more than a year.

Equalum is rather expensive compared to its competitors but the comparison may not be fair because Equalum has features that save time that competitors do not. So you have to make up that cost in time savings, and we haven done that. Equalum has shortened our development cycle by a factor of 5.

There are additional costs for their professional services.

We had StreamSets and were very familiar with it already. However, we were specifically looking for other products that would provide additional functionality above and beyond StreamSets.

StreamSets has a very similar user interface to Equalum. If you were looking at the interface between the two, you wouldn't be able distinguish them very much as products.

StreamSets has more connectors to it. Equalum has some more flexibility around the number of transformations that can be done. However, the big reason for going with Equalum has been the change data capture.

An advantage of Equalum is its underlying architecture. It runs on top of Spark and Kafka. We were looking at the roadmap for Equalum to be able to deploy on external Spark engines, and we see this solution as a more scalable architecture than StreamSets.

There was one other open-source product that we looked at, but it didn't have a user interface. It was mostly through configuration. While it was much cheaper than Equalum, it didn't come with the user interface and productivity, so we eliminated it.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that your use cases for Equalum include change data capture. This is the sweet spot for Equalum and where it will save you time and money.

We use the solution’s Oracle Binary Log Parser, which is one of our primary use cases. We have a lot of databases on shared Oracle servers and configuring the Log Parser on those servers is brought up often as a security issue because an owner of one database can potentially see the data of another database. Therefore, we have had to make some adjustments on how we organize our Oracle Databases because of it. However, I think this would be an issue with any tool using this methodology.

I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10.

Judy DiRusso - PeerSpot reviewer
    Judy DiRussoManager of Sales at Equalum

This Review is very helpful. Thank you!

Ingestion Solutions Head of Data at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    No-code and doesn't require complex knowledge to use; it tells you when there's an issue and where it is, so you can quickly correct it
    • "I found two features in Equalum that I consider the most valuable. One is that Equalum is a no-code tool. You can do your activities on its graphical interface, which doesn't require complex knowledge of extracting, changing, or loading data. Another feature of Equalum that I like the most is that it monitors the data transfers and tells you if there's any issue so that you can quickly check and correct it. Equalum also tells you where the problem lies, for example, if it's a hardware or communication issue."
    • "If you need to use the basic features of Equalum, for example, you don't even need data integration, then many competitors in the market can give you basic features. For instance, if you need batch ETL, you can pick among solutions in the market that have been around longer than Equalum. What needs improvement in Equalum is replication, as it could be faster. Equalum also needs better integration with specific databases such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server."

What is our primary use case?

Equalum is used primarily for CDC purposes in real-time in the cloud environment.

What is most valuable?

I found two features in Equalum that I consider the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

An additional feature I want in the next version of Equalum is integration with more databases such as ERPs, for example, SAP, and new technologies such as blockchain. That's the path to take because there's a lot of information on SAP, and it's what customers ask. If you need to integrate different systems, you must easily get information from SAP, for instance. You have ways to retrieve data from there, but there's still room for improvement, and as for the blockchain, there's little integration at this point, but in the future, more blockchain integration would be great to have on Equalum.

My familiarity with Equalum spans a little bit over six months.

Equalum is a stable tool.

Equalum is a scalable tool. Scalability is one of its main features because your tool needs to be scalable if you're working on the cloud.

The technical support for Equalum is very responsive. I'd rate it as four out of five.

I've not used any other data integration tool apart from Equalum.

The vendor team did the setup and implementation of Equalum. The Equalum team will only leave you alone once you have the confidence to use the tool, and that's a plus point. Equalum is costly, and you can't just download and install it yourself.

What other advice do I have?

I've been demonstrating the latest version of Equalum.

Usually, customers have a hybrid deployment of the product.

In terms of deployment and maintenance of Equalum, customers ask for help from my company. Equalum is not a huge organization and doesn't have vast operations, so you have to take care of every customer. Each customer has an account manager who makes sure that everything works perfectly. Otherwise, you won't get the contract in the end.

At this point, I'm rating Equalum as nine out of ten because it's good at what it does.

I help Equalum get customers, and I'm a consultant in my company.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Equalum Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: March 2023