Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Domo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Domo is #3 ranked solution in top Business Performance Management tools, #5 ranked solution in top Reporting Tools, #5 ranked solution in top Data Visualization tools, and #9 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. PeerSpot users give Domo an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Domo is most commonly compared to Tableau: Domo vs Tableau. Domo is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Domo Buyer's Guide

Download the Domo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Domo?

Domo is a cloud-based, mobile-first BI platform that helps companies drive more value from their data by helping organizations better integrate, interpret and use data to drive timely decision making and action across the business. The Domo platform enhances existing data warehouse and BI tools and allows users to build custom apps, automate data pipelines, and make data science accessible for anyone through automated insights that can be shared with internal or external stakeholders.

Find more information on The Business Cloud Here.

Domo was previously known as corda.

Domo Customers

Capco, SABMiller, Stance, eBay, Sage North America, Goodwill Industries of Central Indiana, Telus, The Cliffs, OGIO International Inc., and many more!

Domo Video

Archived Domo Reviews (more than two years old)

DW/BI Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Flexible charts and variety of visualizations, out-of-the-box, add to the usability
  • "One feature which I have found to be very interesting is the Beast manager, where you can create calculated fields. They are shared in one common repository so someone else can use the same calculated fields; they don't have to rewrite or reinvent the APIs."
  • "It's too early for me to say that something needs improvement, but there are times when there have been some flexibility issues with Domo... Tableau has a window function which can be integrated into a calculated field. That is missing in Domo so you have to make changes to the data set using ETL or SQL."

What is our primary use case?

I have a few sample datasets that I have uploaded to try out different use cases. Domo has an integrated ETL so I'm trying out its ETL solution.

What is most valuable?

One feature which I have found to be very interesting is the Beast manager, where you can create calculated fields. They are shared in one common repository so someone else can use the same calculated fields; they don't have to rewrite or reinvent the APIs. They can take them from the common repository of Beast Mode. That is quite an interesting feature.

What needs improvement?

It's too early for me to say that something needs improvement, but there are times when there have been some flexibility issues with Domo. Maybe I still need to explore more, but we don't have any window functionality in Domo. Tableau has a window function which can be integrated into a calculated field. That is missing in Domo so you have to make changes to the data set using ETL or SQL. Only then you can bring it into the report. The window functionality that is missing is something that Domo can work on.

I'm trying out Domo as a PoC for our company. I have been using it for about three weeks to a month.

Domo
October 2022
Learn what your peers think about Domo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's too early to tell about scalability because I have not worked on huge data sets as of yet. I've heard there are certain apps that you bring in, if you have millions of records, to get them into the cloud. But I have not tried that out myself.

The setup of Domo was straightforward. Their online resources are quite extensive, which was something I wasn't expecting. They have a Knowledge Base and a lot of online learning materials.

I have worked with Tableau for a couple of years. Both Domo and Tableau have their pros and cons.

• Domo only has a cloud deployment while Tableau has on-premise.
  • Domo has a complete, integrated ETL solution built-in, so it is quite powerful. That is something which is different from Tableau.
  • In terms of the chart types, I would recommend Domo's charts over Tableau. Domo has charts, out-of-the-box, which are flexible and show many numbers, and it has a couple of year-on-year comparison charts, which you can directly use. With Tableau, you have to create them, which creates a lot of difficulty. So charts are something which are very good in Domo. With the sheer number of charts and visualizations, Domo scores over Tableau.
  • But in terms of user flexibility, in my opinion Tableau has the upper hand, especially because Domo does not have the window functionality. There is a little more flexibility in terms of specific formulas that can be created within Tableau. You don't need to do it in the ETL or using SQL; you can do it within a report.

But in terms of what I have seen overall, Domo scores over Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

It's too early for me to comment in detail because there may be some functions which I have not explored yet, especially in terms of windows and fixing a formula. LODs and windows are one thing, but I'm not sure if there are other functionalities which I have yet to come across.

But if you are looking for a very quick solution, and if you also want some ETL activities — if you don't have a dedicated ETL team — definitely go for Domo, rather than Tableau. Domo gives you that ETL advantage. Also, in terms of mobile usage and visualizations, Domo has an advantage. If you already have a dedicated ETL team and you want to go into specific reports and some customization of reports, Tableau would be the choice.

Private Cloud
Business Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to manipulate data via ETL without writing query code
  • "With ETL transformations in SQL lists, you often write a lot of queries. You have to build a bunch of code for the data. With Domo, one of the pieces we have is Magic ETL. In Magic ETL, you don't need to write code. You don't need to be a specialist in SQL or any database query language."
  • "In Tableau, you can create virtually any kind of visualization. Based on your creativity, you can create a visualization on a human body structure, you can create a visualization on anything that you want. But Domo is limited to a few kinds of visualization views: standard things like bar, pie, and some other charts... I would like to see them add new views for presenting the data in the visualization space."

What is our primary use case?

One of our internal customers is a capital finance team. Before we reached out to them, they were pretty much handling all their data in Excel sheets. Their data has been expanding rapidly and they needed reporting in a visualization solution. They have different forecast methodologies and cycles, and different metrics within those forecasts types. They have various types of capital metrics. If you are from a finance background, you might have heard of what an IOI or an NPV or an IRR is. They had been doing it in Excel.

Ideally, to fulfill their needs, you would need two different solutions. One is a transformation solution. When you are handling huge amounts of data, you certainly need a database and, most commonly, what you prefer is SQL. Once your transmission is complete, you would also need a visualization solution. There are many available in the market.

With Domo, we can do everything in one place. We don't need a separate database. We can do ETL and the visualization in one location.

It's not on a device. It is completely cloud-based. Since we are a healthcare provider, we chose the secure instance of the public cloud: a PSI-certified instance.

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of having two different products, one for data transformation and one for visualization, we are able to do those functions using this tool, with one person or two persons at the max.

The day before yesterday, one of the teams wanted to see how its employees were performing in their line of business. That team has around 140 employees, and wanted to see what their current roles are, what their future roles will be, what their primary skills are, and what their secondary skills are. All this time, they've been using Excel sheets and they take a week's time to process. We put in a one-time effort of one week and, going forward, that particular team doesn't have to spend an entire week to provide an analysis to its leadership. All they have to do, once their data is updated, is push it into Domo and all the metrics that they want to see are readily available. It hardly takes five minutes, instead of one week. For that team it is definitely a great thing because the product manager doesn't have to sit for a week and do that. It has definitely made his life easier.

The same thing applies to the finance team. Our finance team gets its data on the 10th or 11th of every month and when they had to process that data in Excel sheets for another 10 days, the month was almost over. Here, again, things now happen in a couple of hours, and their data is ready the very next day and they are ready to present their finance metrics to their leadership before the 15th of the month. Based on that, they can plan their next month, or the upcoming forecast for financial metrics, more efficiently. Now they have 20 days instead of 10 days.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ETL. With ETL transformations in SQL lists, you often write a lot of queries. You have to build a bunch of code for the data. With Domo, one of the pieces we have is Magic ETL. In Magic ETL, you don't need to write code. You don't need to be a specialist in SQL or any database query language. You just need to have common sense or to know how to use Excel and you can do a better job than a querying professional or a coding professional. Magic ETL is one of the best features I have ever seen in the ETL world.

Also, you can limit the users. Finance data is very critical so not everyone can be seeing it. We can create customized security options and provide privileged options to groups or a particular person, so only they can view things.

What needs improvement?

In Tableau, you can create virtually any kind of visualization. Based on your creativity, you can create a visualization on a human body structure, you can create a visualization on anything that you want. But Domo is limited to a few kinds of visualization views: standard things like bar, pie, and some other charts. You can't create something outside of the box. I would like to see them add new views for presenting the data in the visualization space. That definitely needs improvement. We have provided this input to the product owners at Domo, so let's see what comes out of that.

I have been using Domo for the last two years.

The solution is very efficient and very good. So far, we haven't seen any outages. It's very fast and very interactive. No matter if we're dealing with millions and billions of rows of data, we never experience any lag, which is something we used to see in Tableau, Power BI, and other solutions. With Domo, never. It's as fast as you can imagine.

It is scalable. Our company is a classic example of that. Our company deals with healthcare data for the entire United States, part of Canada, and some parts of South America, and additional international locations. So our data is huge. Really huge. I don't think any other organization deals with this much data. And Domo scales as much as you want.

We have around between 1,500 and 2,000 customers using this, and their roles range from CIOs to vice presidents, directors, analysts, and financial analysts. Currently, in our company, it is not being used as actively as Tableau, but we are expanding usage. When this product was introduced in our organization, we had a customer base of around 20 or 30 people; two or three different teams. We are further expanding it to the entire organization. Our target for this year is to have around 6,000 to 7,000 folks onboard.

A few of our internal customers are using Tableau, a few are using QlikView, a few are using Power BI, and a few are using Domo. We have varied usage but we are trying to expand Domo to be used in place of the other tools.

I was never part of the initial setup, but I think it's straightforward. As with anything that you're getting from the cloud, you only have to establish your data connections to the tool. We use several things, including Excel files. It should be a straightforward exercise, instead of taking time.

I have read about how it is done in other companies and what I've seen is that implementation took less than two days.

There is no specific maintenance for the solution. Two people can do the job for a large organization, because the only thing that you need to determine is how you want to give access and what kind of access. That is done by our customer success manager, and there is a product manager who takes care of who should be given a Domo license and who should not be, in our company.

We have seen ROI with Domo. For example, our finance team invested in Domo and they have saved around 20 days per month. They are now working more efficiently and their numbers have drastically changed compared to their previous year's performance. They can see how they're trending for the last month and they're efficiently planning their expenditures and forecasting accordingly.

Similarly, for our technology teams, we are doing different SLA metrics for incidents, problems, their availability, storage, etc. At one go they are now able to see the problem areas that are not performing and they can plan their technology maintenance accordingly. For some of the organizations within our company, their availability was around 91 percent. Against the standard of 99.9 percent available, they were losing 8 percent per month, which was going to cost us a lot in terms of penalties. They have identified their problem areas now and they are avoiding paying penalties.

Each of our internal customers has its own ROI like that.

No matter if you're a developer or an end-user, the licensing cost is around $12 per user per month. I'm not aware of other costs but there would likely be some type of cost for the storage that we use, because we're using Domo's cloud storage.

Before choosing Domo we evaluated other options, including Tableau and QlikView. But the problem with Tableau was that it was very slow. It was extremely slow because of the amount of data that we are trying to push in. It was not efficient and stable.

And the problem is with Tableau and QlikView is that you would need a separate ETL tool altogether, like SQL. With Domo we don't need that. We can directly talk to any kind of data source that is available in the market. That is what separates it from the others.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I have learned is that this makes the job very easy. To do some things in Tableau would take three days, but in Domo I do them in one day. It has made me a lazy person. But I'm now able to focus on other important things. I'm now learning other technologies whenever I have time. Domo has taught me that you shouldn't limit yourself to one area of expertise. You should always expand to new areas.

I would definitely suggest you consider Domo if you don't have any cost constraints. The way I see it, implementing Tableau is more expensive than using Domo. A Tableau user license, per annum, costs around $1,000, I think, in India. And then you need to have a Tableau server to publish the dashboards that you have developed. There is a lot of cost involved in that. This is a major selling point for Domo.

Also, with other dashboards, when you develop a new dashboard you have to develop a mobile version again, or you have to make some enhancements to a mobile version. But with Domo, you don't have to do that. What I've done on dashboards for the web works as well on the mobile application version. These are the things we pitch when we have an initial meeting with a potential new internal customer.

There aren't any version names, as such, for the product that we use here. All the updates and features get upgraded. Before any new feature is going to be released into the production version, we get to review the beta version of it. Based on the feedback from the customer, we decide whether we want to have that featured in our instance or not. So it's not like we have a version one, two, or three, rather that the features get updated as and when required.

Private Cloud
Domo
October 2022
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rakshit Makan - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Very easy to check your data and build charts
  • "Domo is not a difficult tool to learn. All you need to know is the SQL for the ETL part. You don't need to write much code. That's the great part. It uses legacy languages, like SQL, which is very common among developers who then don't have to go and learn Domo's own syntax. Therefore, you don't have to learn another hard language to use Domo."
  • "The ETL way of storing is not up to mark. You have to rely on the naming convention that you're using in Domo because there are no folder systems where you can collate all your workflows and put them into separate folders. A folder system should be there so you can easily identify how you are working. Once you want to make some changes to your ETL, then you can see the whole lineage, identifying what is there and not there."

What is our primary use case?

I collated all the reports that we got from Domo's APIs, then performed some ETLs and processing so we could build a final output from which the dashboard would get powered. Then, we created all types of stuff in Domo. At that point, the license let us use all the available jobs in Domo. Therefore, we were using tables and pie charts. For demographics, we are using the geographical charts for Australia and the USA, as the brands we deal with are mainly from Australia and the USA.

31 million rows of data are getting processed every hour within Domo.

Domo has their own internal servers and phone apps.

How has it helped my organization?

I was using Domo comprehensively and exclusively in my previous organization. In this organization, the visualization has been improved. There were glitches when you went from one page to another, but that lag has been corrected.

The basic levels of Domo were not made for developers. It was made for anyone who is coming from a nontechnical background. They can utilize Domo on the fly, e.g., if you have data and want to see a type of visualization on the fly, then you can use Domo to quickly examine your data.

What is most valuable?

Domo is a comprehensive tool in ETL, visualization, and the media features that we use for the direct connection to all the digital marketing platforms. For the database, we had two to three types of ETL that we could use. It comprehensiveness was major for us.

The API systems are very good. They were an attractive feature of Domo at the time of  purchased.

The new feature data is pretty amazing that they are providing for insights on the side of charts. If you don't even want to be in the dashboard, then there is a quick dashboard that they are creating based on the data you are uploading. You don't have to write a single piece of the code. You just have to upload your data, then you can use all of the visualizations, which is a new feature that I really like. A person who doesn't know much about programming or SQL can see his numbers on a graph, pie charts, and bar charts.

Domo is not a difficult tool to learn. All you need to know is the SQL for the ETL part. You don't need to write much code. That's the great part. It uses legacy languages, like SQL, which is very common among developers who then don't have to go and learn Domo's own syntax. Therefore, you don't have to learn another hard language to use Domo.

What needs improvement?

The ETL way of storing is not up to mark. You have to rely on the naming convention that you're using in Domo because there are no folder systems where you can collate all your workflows and put them into separate folders. A folder system should be there so you can easily identify how you are working. Once you want to make some changes to your ETL, then you can see the whole lineage, identifying what is there and not there. I felt that this could be drastically improved.

The utilization part: We cannot play much with the UX/UI.

While they have APIs, they kept on failing if the data volume was too large. There was a 10 to 20 percent chances that it would fail. I don't know what improvements they have done in the past year since I have used it, but previously the failures were quite consistent in the API stuff. I would like to see them work on that.

When you are looking at a full-fledged product, you want pretty dashboards or storyboarding. In these cases, you cannot use Domo. That's the drawback. It's exclusively for exploratory data analysis (EDA).

I worked in Domo from 2018 to late 2019. I am going through some migrations from Domo to some other tool. Before that, for about a year and a half, I was developing the deal and visualizations, then getting connections between the API data in Domo to extract all the digital marketing data. Mainly, I was laying in the digital marketing domain, like Facebook, Amazon, and Google ads. These were being heavily used as KPIs in my organization. Right now, I am in the touch with the tool for the visualization and deal part, but not for the API connection.

The product is quite stable. From my point of view, it's quite a good tool to use if you need all types of analysis.  Stability-wise, it's doing well. I don't see any lag or other glitches apart from ones that I mentioned for improvement.

Not many people are needed for the maintenance of this solution. Management of Domo is very easy. Apart from developer access, we can keep it to limited people. Normal users looking at visualization are given read-only access.  Therefore, in terms of access, you can define the roles of the users. That's easy to manage.

They are doing well with scalability where other companies are struggling with it. Domo is providing a cool feature that other companies struggle to work on, which is something amazing to see. Innovation-wise, Domo is doing well.

In my organization, there are four users who use the Domo license. Two of them are managers, another is the group head, and the fourth is an analyst.

The technical support is very responsive. They are ready to reply, always having a solution ready. They are good at their work and what they do.

We previously used Tableau. We shifted to Domo because Tableau was getting expensive and the features that we get in Domo are what you get in Tableau.

The deployment was very easy. You don't have to buy your own server. These visualizations are nice because they have their own structure to handle these things, which is a good feature.

There was another company who was entrusted with Domo's setup.

My previous organization is still using Domo and are happy with what Domo is giving them.

The price that they offered was around $200 per user license. It was pretty cheap at that time compared to other companies. I think they have revamped their pricing structure since then.

Our company purchased a private license for approximately 20 users.

With Domo's competitors, you have to go in separately, buying your own server. The drawback with Domo is it doesn't allow us to work on the UX/UI much because of the layout. You cannot go around doing a full comprehensive view with Domo. If you have seen Tableau or QlikView, they provide very good UX/UI in their products. This makes their dashboard appealing to see. Domo lacks that and was not a product created for storyboarding. It is more for analysis.

The advanced analytic charts are easy to create. If you compare it with other tools in the market, it's very easy to check your data and build charts.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. The product is quite good. I would rate it as a seven and a half (out of 10).

It makes things more attractive and simpler. When you come to the analytics part, you want things to be simpler because there are other areas that you want to focus on than just creating a dashboard.

Senior Reporting Analyst at a recruiting/HR firm with 201-500 employees
We can customize dashboards with KPIs our clients want to monitor on a day-to-day basis
  • "It has the best GUI. And it already has an ETL tool embedded in it..."
  • "The forecasting feature, the regression features, and the Python libraries could all be improved. They're all in beta."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for data modeling and data structuring for my clients. An entire data set cannot be utilized for visualization. There are a few data points which can give us exact output, which clients use for their KPIs.

We try to minimize the data and extract the required data for the key performance indicators, which helps us to drive more monitoring results for our clients and to give them exact information, even in the forecasting.

How has it helped my organization?

The design dashboard has given us more leverage to customize things. And with the click of a button we can quickly extract the required reports and then share them to the client if the client does not have access to Domo.

It allows our clients to see data on their day-to-day business and to review things at the management level: how the business is performing, what regions are doing good numbers, which region is performing best, and where business is low. They need to find the reasons for differences in performance, whether its marketing or recruitment lapses, etc. They are able to share the insights with their counterparts and this is where the decision-making comes from.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the

• ETL
  • SQL.

ETL is the feature where we can do much of the data structuring, per the client's requirements. With ETL there are things a layman can understand.

SQL is the most used database system and we depend on it for the extraction of required data. However, unlike the ETL, SQL can only be understood by a tenured person who is into the details of SQL coding etc. That's the major difference between the two. Both are highly utilized at my end.

Over the time I have been using Domo, I've seen many updates pushing great features into it in new versions. Every new release has more and more insights. A major improvement was the design dashboards wherein we can customize dashboards with the KPIs that clients want to monitor on a day-to-day basis. And in a significant number of cases, we showcase monthly-review or quarterly-review data. They are quick enough that our clients can download the entire dashboard in a PPT and start their review. Others review things within Domo itself.

What needs improvement?

The forecasting feature, the regression features, and the Python libraries could all be improved. They're all in beta. It is feasible to go out and extract data from libraries and attach work to the libraries, but with the respect to initial insights, I would like to see more help from Domo. I would like more information on how to utilize those libraries.

I've been using the solution for almost two years.

New releases are communicated with a popup saying a new release will be coming through on a certain date. We definitely check the data to make sure everything went smoothly. We'll reach out to about any bugs through the active community forum. We have received the answers we need there.

I do see limitations with respect to the Domo Appstore. If a client has a specific requirement, we need to reach out to Domo and get things installed for them.

There is the Domo Community which is a live brainstorming session with Domo experts who answer any queries. I make myself available to participate in that, so that I get quick answers to my queries. If there is anything beyond that, we, as an organization, reach out to the community. We will first try solutions if someone else has had the same kinds of bugs. If they have the answers we can finish it up ourselves. Otherwise, we have a BI team that will reach out to Domo and get the insights.

Overall, I would rate their technical support at eight out of 10.

In the first year, when I joined the organization, I was introduced to Domo. Prior to that I had experience with Tableau. When I started diving into the details of Domo, I got to know it and found it has the best GUI. And it already has an ETL tool embedded in it, for extract, transform, and load. That was not available in the other tool I used.

Traditionally, things were done with Excel, but I don't think it is quick enough to turn things around for our clients.

The setup is simple for someone who knows the system. If it's the first time doing it, the setup will be tricky.

We go with a four-week implementation strategy, wherein we gather requirements from the clients, we have a brainstorming session to understand what kind of system they are using and what sources they are using. We'll extract and build the dashboards for them. And then we come to the documentation, where we document the details of requirements and then we deliver it, based on the timeline. This is all done within the four-week period, and we give them the standard set of cards.

From our end, for the reporting from Domo, we need just one person involved and that same person handles the day-to-day maintenance.

One of our clients, for example, sees on a monthly basis how much money they are saving, on a cumulative basis. They say a certain type of conversion was only at 40 percent and now it has increased to 65 percent.

The pricing is partnership-based for us. There are no other costs for Domo aside from the standard fees.

What other advice do I have?

It produces the best output. I'm quite satisfied with the tool.

We take the initiative, on our end, to give the client the best insights on how to use Domo. If they are sharing Domo access, we help them to understand how they can best use the tool and how they can change the chart visualizations, to make them suitable for their review and for understanding. Those are the key factors where we advise clients so that, with the click of a button, they have their own insights coming in.

The end-users at our clients include program managers, in particular, and then the top level, the executive level. Most of our clients have around five users.

The tool is very popular in the Asia-Pacific region. It's spreading its wings. Even in India, I've seen people starting to use this tool. The major advantages are its GUI and that it's in the cloud. The visualization features, with its colors, are friendly to the eye. It doesn't display information in dark colors.

I would definitely be curious to explore Domo more and more because it has features such as data scientist rules. You can apply their forecasting. I intend to explore those areas more.

Project Manager at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
We were able to roll out important KPIs without IT involvement, while eliminating monthly spreadsheet work for senior staff
  • "The ease of use, overall, is one of the valuable features, as is the ease of setup. Other than making sure IT was aware of, and agreed with our proceeding, we did not need IT for any of the setup. The ease of setup is more valuable than you might think. The ease of configuring the security policies, setting up groups, and setting up personalized data permissions so that only certain people can see certain data — that stuff is amazing... Domo really is extraordinarily full-featured, but it's really easy to use."

What is our primary use case?

Domo is being used in quite a few areas. We're using it for financial reporting and analytics. Basic financial reports have just the numbers, but those kinds of reports don't answer your questions. Questions like "why?" and "where are the problem areas?" So, we're using it for business analytics to get insight into our financial performance.

We're a parts manufacturer, so we're also using Domo for tracking quality, including defects, warranties, and claims against the parts we manufacture.

We're using it for sales planning to give business insight into industry trends that might affect our sales. We're also using it to get insight into our sales results.

We're using it in our plants now — and this is newer — to track shipments and resources required so we can get the right resources where they need to be to load the trucks, based on when the parts are ready. That's actually an IoT use case.

In addition, we're using it to track our patents and our inventions, as a design company.

It started out with a couple of small use cases but it has blossomed very quickly. As soon as people see Domo for one case they come knocking on my door and say, "Hey, we'd like to use Domo as well."

How has it helped my organization?

This is just one example of many similar things, but in engineering we had directors and senior managers having to download spreadsheets full of financial reporting data every month and then manipulate the data and tweak it. Every manager and every division was doing it somewhat differently, making it difficult for the executive vice president to get a consolidated insight.

Not only was it all manual, but it was all done with pivot tables and spreadsheets. It took a tremendous number of hours every month from senior leadership just to create a basic "What's our situation?" And that didn't even get into insights into what led up to that situation.

One of the early KPIs was getting the financials in Domo. Now, the senior leaders all see the same thing. It doesn't matter which department you're from, it's all in the same format. None of them has to do anything, except for a couple of us who load the data into Domo. Once you load the data it automatically runs and updates all of the visualizations, and everybody is looking at the same thing.

We were able to put permissions into it as well, so if I'm in this department I only see this department's financials. If I'm one level up and I have five departments, I see those five departments' data. And if I'm the executive vice president I see the whole of engineering's data.

Just that one, simple implementation, which was one of many we've done, saves a tremendous number of hours by senior-level employees, every month, and provides a consistent answer across the organization.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use, overall, is one of the valuable features, as is the ease of setup. Other than making sure IT was aware of, and agreed with our proceeding, we did not need IT for any of the setup. The ease of setup is more valuable than you might think. The ease of configuring the security policies, setting up groups, and setting up personalized data permissions so that only certain people can see certain data — that stuff is amazing.

The ease of content creation — both the ETLs, meaning the extract, transfer, and loading of the data into Domo, and then the transforming of it into a structure that lends itself well to reporting — is a big feature.

Another key thing to understand is that Domo had built-in connections to more data types than any other BI tool, at the time we evaluated solutions. I suspect it still does because it has mushroomed out. It's even bigger than it was before. There are just so many ways to connect the data, both manually and automatically. They had 400-plus data connections and now they have 676. So, if you want to do analysis from Google Analytics, or Adobe Analytics, or Facebook, or the Department of Labor Resources, not to mention your own stuff, you're able to connect to them. We can get data from our internal database, on-premise, and automate that and load it in a timely way. That's been fantastic.

Another very easy-to-use feature is the creation of their reports, their little graphics, that they call "cards."

Domo really is extraordinarily full-featured, but it's really easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I'm actually a little hard-pressed to say what needs improvement because they keep changing it and adding new features. On a monthly basis, you come to work and, boom, there's a new release. And we've taken advantage of that.

The only things I could be critical of are extraordinarily minor tweaks that sincerely aren't worth mentioning.

We've been using it officially for about a year-and-a-half. We went through a pilot and evaluation process before that, so our exposure to Domo has been over the course of two years.

As a service, we have never experienced any availability issues with Domo. We have not had a single outage.

There was one time where they did a major upgrade and they let us know a couple of months in advance that, in the middle of the night, on a certain date, Domo wouldn't be available from this hour to this hour. It was a very short period. Other than that one tiny maintenance window, I know we haven't had a single outage.

You can automate the data collection, the data transformation, and the content creation. By content creation I mean the content generation, and for that, you have to initially create the cards, the pages, the dashboards, which is easy.

When the situation was one where people spent countless hours every month on various — between you and me, somewhat useless — data reports, with no insight, no drill-down capability, nothing, it was not a scalable approach. Now what we have is a scalable solution that provides business insights on-the-fly for folks, even on their phones, to answer difficult business questions, they don't have to spend countless hours manually trying to create that content in the first place.

The other thing is security. If you have to manually implement all of these security measures there's a cost. We haven't done this yet, although it's one of the things on deck this coming year, but you can set it so that security groups are automatically established for a person based on the department they're assigned to and on their level in Active Directory. That will grant them, or prevent them from having, access to specific content within the tool. That, once again, is scalable. In other words, we're not having to set up many individuals' security levels in Domo. We're in a position now to take advantage of that.

Even before making that leap, even manually setting up security groups and assigning people to those groups and creating security policies, is pretty easy and scalable. Going from sending out spreadsheets via email to the right people, to this kind of solution is a significant difference. It's a very scalable solution.

If we want to quadruple the size of our user base, meaning a lot more resources, or increase the content that we load into it because we have a new use case which means we're going to load another million rows of data a week into this environment, we can do so. If it was an on-premise solution we'd potentially have to buy servers, upgrade the CPU processors in the servers, upgrade the storage. With Domo, it just happens. We basically have unlimited data in our agreement.

Our first agreement was for three years and it was to get up to 650 users, and it was really intended primarily for senior management and above. But for that IoT solution for shipping, we have section leaders, people who are not managers in the quality group, who are using it. They had field reps who, instead of being out there serving the customers, had to create all of these reports on how things were going. Now, that all happens for them and that has saved a tremendous amount of their time.

We have individual performers, all the way up to the CEO, who have access. The meat-and-potatoes, the folks that really use it the most, are the senior managers and directors.

When you find some minor issue within the app, there's a button you push and it goes off to Domo support and you don't have to make a phone call. But when I do make a phone call, because I have such a good relationship with our account executive, they get right on it.

In general, Domo's technical support is exceptional. I can go to support in the tool itself. There's a Help Center button and within that I have Domo University, "How To," Knowledge Base articles, and a very strong community forum. That's also where the Support button is. I just click on that and I can open a case and get a very timely response.

The vast majority of people in our company who are using Domo now were using spreadsheets and pivot tables. The more sophisticated ones might have been using Access databases. As a corporation, the official tool selected previously was Yellowfin. It never really launched successfully. Yellowfin is a good tool, but it was a case where it went through our IT department but they didn't have the business focus or the right resources to dedicate to it. I think they're doing a Yellowfin 2.0 for some of the standard, global financials, but in general, it wasn't as easy to use and it would have significantly increased our dependency on our IT group. We wouldn't be anywhere near where we're at right now if we went with Yellowfin.

Just about all of these tools are decent, and they are a quantum leap from spreadsheets and pivot tables. We picked Domo because it was scalable, easy-to-roll-out, and did not burden IT. It has also been easy to create additional content and it's been effortless to maintain because it's software as a service.

The setup was exceptionally easy because it's cloud-based, it's software as a service. That's one of the reasons we chose Domo over the competition, because our IT group is buried in a backlog of work. With Domo it's pretty much "Oh, here you go." In fact, the environment that they set up for us for our pilot — which took them a single day — is what we migrated to for use as our production environment once we decided to go with Domo. It couldn't have been easier.

The environment, the infrastructure, all of that was set up instantaneously. But we had built a core team and we wanted to establish naming conventions for files, rules, security policies, etc. With that very small, core team of passionate people, we did it in a week or two.

So there's the technical setup, and then there's the business side of things where you want to make sure you have a scalable solution once you launch. Thank God we did it that way because it went from a handful of users on day one to many users now. There is some thoughtful preparation that needs to happen to make sure that you set up your environment in a way, from the business side, that's scalable.

We did the implementation in something of in an Agile scrum-type way, although it was a hybrid because our company is used to Waterfall. We wanted to get some quick wins under our belt and let it grow organically. So we picked a couple of key measurements for each of the engineering group, the quality group, and the sales team, and we rolled them out in a month-and-a-half. We had been tinkering with it during the pilot so it wasn't like we were starting completely from square one. We carried over the results of our pilot.

We left ourselves some room for training. We thought that as we developed we'd decide what training was necessary. We actually did pay for a little bit of training but we haven't used it yet because we haven't needed it. It's that easy.

Our strategy has proven to be very successful. We started out small. We didn't over-commit or try to boil the ocean all at once. We grabbed a bucket of salt-water and "heated it up." We got everyone to like it and then come to us for more. It continues to grow on a daily basis.

We have a sister company that heavily utilized Domo consulting. But in our case, we had some talented people. And the tool is so easy to use. We purchased consulting hours that we'll have for three years but we have hardly scratched the surface of those consulting hours. We've had odd, little issues. We did not need them to help us get going, beyond answering the basic questions.

We have absolutely seen return on our investment. We created a strong business case that it was going to pay itself off in well under a year for the 650 licenses, for the first three use cases that I mentioned, the low-hanging fruit. And we just crushed it, we killed it. In the meantime, we haven't even used up all of those 650 subscriptions. We're right around 500 right now, and we've doubled, if not tripled, the use cases using that original set of licenses.

We hit all of the boxes that we thought we would, right out of the gate, and then we doubled or tripled the use cases that we've been able to fit in, all with the original investment.

Because it's software as a service, it's more expensive on the face of it. But there are a lot of variables. I don't have to pay for servers or for infrastructure. I don't have to pay labor for my IT organization to set up or maintain the environment. I don't have to pay for them to upgrade the software, and test it, etc., because when it rolls out, it is transparent and seamless for us.

But, because of that, it costs more, I imagine, than Sisense, or Yellowfin, or Power BI. A lot of those make it sound like they're inexpensive, but when you add in all the hidden costs and all of the overhead, it's probably comparable.

It's difficult to reach the right, mutually beneficial cost structure for us, and profit structure for Domo, because it's software as a service. In other words, you're paying for that convenience.

That's me searching for a criticism, although it's more a characteristic. They've been very flexible in negotiating with us. Still, one of our other shops has Sisense and they've got unlimited licenses for the whole facility for $65,000 for the year, so that's a sweet deal. But that other shop is doing everything behind the scenes.

Our 650 Domo licenses are really subscriptions because it's software as a service. With licenses you purchase, there might be annual maintenance, but you purchase them and you own those licenses. With the subscription, you're paying a fee, like Netflix, annually. Similar to Netflix where you don't own the movies, rather you're paying for the use of the environment, with Domo you don't need to set anything up and you have immediate access. You're renting the service.

We evaluated Yellowfin, Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, and Domo. Those were the ones we did in-depth evaluations on. We did a little more industry research beforehand, looking at industry reviews. The reason we narrowed it down to those four is that we knew of other companies within our organization that were using one of them. Qlik is great, but we didn't know of any other users of it within our organization at the time and we didn't want to be too rogue.

Tableau is outstanding. It came in at number-two in our evaluation, and I'm sure I'd be sitting here talking to you all thrilled about it, but Tableau seemed to be going in a new direction. There was the on-prem portion, plus the software that had to be installed on every PC using it for creating content, plus the web thing. It was a little more cumbersome and not as tightly integrated. There were all the different pieces you needed to install on your own infrastructure. They were switching to some cloud, but you were still reliant on on-prem, on-client, on-cloud. Other than that, it was close between Tableau and Domo.

We also heard feedback that, while on the surface, if you don't look at the infrastructure and the maintenance, Tableau looks like it's less expensive, when you really add it all up, and consider the lack of ease and convenience of use, it was going to probably cost more than Domo. That was why Domo beat Tableau.

Power BI was our least favorite, and part of that was because of who demonstrated it. They called it in, they didn't come to visit us, and they didn't do a really good job demonstrating it, but it doesn't seem as integrated. There's a client side, and a publishing side, and it doesn't seem to have as appealing a user interface. Power BI was the most confusing. It just was not nearly as elegant or easy to use, and certainly didn't have the integration.

Yellowfin seems very good. It is a web-based interface. We have it on-prem but I don't know if we've switched to its cloud version yet, as a corporation. But it just wasn't nearly as intuitive to use, and it had only a handful of data connections. It just was not nearly as simple for the business to use — and we wanted the business to use it. Yellowfin just wasn't nearly as robust or easy to use, and still would have required a lot of IT support.

What other advice do I have?

Domo even has a built-in Agile-scrum Kanban functionality. I don't want to say it's a lesson we've learned, because they've been doing this a long time, but it reaffirmed that while a lot of companies are still doing Waterfall, and the traditional "Where's your Gant chart and your Microsoft Project?" approach, I rebuffed that. Domo has upped that and I use a hybrid scrum, like Agile.

The biggest thing that I learned was from our sister company that loaded Domo up first. They tried to boil the ocean. They used a traditional approach and said, "Oh, requirements, and we have these 50 reports we want to put in Domo." They had all of the status updates in a traditional Microsoft Project structure, with PowerPoint slides to present to leadership and spreadsheets to track issues. They put so much overhead on themselves. But they were behind schedule, plus they used Domo consulting.

So the biggest lesson is this: You want to have the business create the content for the business. That's why we picked this tool. You don't want to have someone else involved, whether it's a consultant, or IT, and here's why. In every business department, there is the person who is creating the pivot tables, knows Access, and has the aptitude to create this content. The benefit of that person doing it is that they know the business. And with Domo, they don't have to go fill out some project-request with IT or some other organization and say, "Oh, we want a new report or a new card." Then, that other organization has to review it and put it in their backlog of work. And when they get to it they have to have requirements-gathering and all of this discussion. Finally, there's a document that meets the requirements and they say, "Okay, now let's create a draft." Back-and-forth, traditional Waterfall takes forever.

I had someone come up to me and say, "Hey, John, we need XYZ." In 15 minutes I had created new content. But it's still controlled because we have a very small structure, a core team, which has key content creators from each critical business unit and those people have the poetic license to do as they please.

It's so much quicker. That's why we've been able to implement so much. Domo is not like traditional software development where you're "pouring concrete" and you better get the forms designed and measured perfectly, because once that concrete sets it's a bear to have to break it out, and reform, and repour. With Domo, it's more like molding clay. So when someone says, "Oh, well, I don't like that." "Okay, let me change the color," or, "Let me change this. Let me add a filter." It's all on-the-fly and very dynamic.

So the biggest lesson is that, when you get something like this, don't turn it into traditional, stodgy, bureaucratic Waterfall. I had to spend very little time providing status updates. I had the risks and issues in Domo, using the project functionality that is free and that comes with it. The list of all of the things that we wanted to consider was in the Kanban and to-do backlog, and then in-progress, and completed. It was so easy to do it organically, starting small, versus, "Oh, what are all the 50 reports we want replace with Domo?"

IT is just there to support us when we need data from some huge enterprise system. They'll say, "Oh yeah. Let us set up an automatic feed into Domo."

You can tell I'm a big advocate for Domo. I'm not alone. Every time I show it to someone they go crazy over it and they want more. It's harder to find someone who is not excited about it, in terms of both the content users and the content creators.

There is competition because we're a global company. One division has been using Microsoft Power BI, another is using Sisense, and we have one plant using Tableau. I think it's going to evolve. I foresee that Domo will be around, unless there's some bizarre, unforeseeable event. I can't see Domo going away anytime soon.

Regarding maintenance, in terms of the solution itself, we don't need anyone because it's software as a service. In terms of the content, we have, for example, two people in the whole of the quality assurance and warranty group who are part of this core team. We have two people from the sales team who do all of the business planning content stuff. When we added to the credit department, we added someone in that department who maintains all of that content. Is it a full-time job for them? Not even close, but they're responsible for it. On the engineering side, it's mostly me, but I'm also leading the whole initiative.

Right now, the core team has six people, and then we have a stakeholders' committee that is going to start meeting once a month. We were meeting more frequently during the first year. There's a slightly wider audience of about 15 people who are going to be invited to update them on the status, what we're working on, and to find out if they have any questions. But it's a very small overhead. It's a resource-saving thing. The headcount that was creating all of this content before was a small army, because every director and senior manager had to do their own little flavor of the reporting.

Manager of Program Operations at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Real-time data means our business decisions are made more efficiently and more accurately
    • "The data certification feature, where the admin user can put a certified stamp on a data source so that other users can know that that is the correct and accurate data flow or data source to use, is a good feature."
    • "I would like to see more flexibility in their pricing structure. The trend is moving from database pricing to a user-license pricing model. That would be a benefit if they wanted to reevaluate their pricing structure."

What is our primary use case?

We wanted to bring our data reporting from several different marketing vendors into one avenue, along with onsite company data, to create one customer-facing dashboard. It all falls under that, when it comes to the day-to-day reporting that I've been doing. It includes anything that we did on Excel and could convert over to a dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

I was doing data transformation manually, on my own, for my reports. We were very Excel-based and updating formulas constantly. It helped by only having to build it and set it once. It has helped with productivity and efficiency. I would estimate it's saving me 10 to 15 hours a week.

It's also helped with pushing and sharing information among the team members, physically in the office and outside of the office, across the country. We're getting real-time data. We can refresh reports and not have to wait however long it would have taken. That has been an improvement and results in business decisions being made more efficiently and more accurately, based on accurate information.

What is most valuable?

The data transformation, the Magic ETL; the whole data cleanup side, where you're able to bring in all of your different sources and clean them up one time and then use that same data flow multiple times over. That's a valuable set of features.

Among the recent changes they've made, the data certification feature, where the admin user can put a certified stamp on a data source so that other users can know that that is the correct and accurate data flow or data source to use, is a good feature.

Also, the data policy permissions, where an admin can decide, based on that data set, who is able to access that data set without having to pull too many strings. That is also helpful. It gives a sense of greater security in what you're sending out and that it is only getting to the people who need it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility in their pricing structure. The trend is moving from database pricing to a user-license pricing model. That would be a benefit if they wanted to reevaluate their pricing structure. But as far as the actual functionality of what it does goes, I don't really see any improvements needed.

We've been using Domo for about two years.

The stability has been good, in my experience.

The scalability is also good. I think it lends itself well to a small business and can go as big as you want to go. There's scalability to connect to all of their applications and connectors. There is the ability to create custom API connections. The amount of data that can be pulled in is really unlimited. It lends itself well to the big guy and the little guy.

We're working on plans to increase our usage of Domo. As a company, we also have Microsoft Power BI. I'm working through trying to accommodate the two. I lean towards Domo but others are leaning towards Power BI. It's a conversation that's being had.

Domo's tech support is very responsive, very clear, and straightforward. If I had to rank it one through 10, I'd give it a 10.

The only other solution we have had is Microsoft Power BI.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Their team was very helpful in walking us through it and training us. They were willing to come onsite to assist. But the documentation available through their website is very user-friendly, straightforward, and geared towards someone who is a business user and not necessarily an IT-type person. I'm a businessperson and I found it pretty straightforward.

Aside from some structural changes that we've had, it was about a six-month process, but it really depends on what you want to get done. It's a matter of what you consider to be "fully deployed," because I'm still doing things now, years later. So it depends on the scope of the project that you want to implement. We were doing several things at one time so it was a larger project. But if you just want to connect things from one service over to another, I don't even think you need an implementation team for that. It's something that can really be done by business users on their own.

We had a few projects on the table that we wanted to get up and running from the get-go. Because we had a couple of structural changes in our company at the time, my timeline probably isn't reflective of Domo. It definitely didn't have anything to do with them. It was more on our side, so it took a little bit longer.

From our side, it was mainly me involved, and I got some help on a few small things. But it only took me to get it done. On their side, there were four team members assisting.

I'm the only one who deals with maintaining it. The maintenance depends on how much you want to put in there. I could sit here and create new cards all day if I wanted to, but it's pretty straightforward. I set up all of the connections. The only time I have to go in there and modify something is if I think of a new way that I want to display it. It's very easy for one person to be the main admin and set up and monitor everything.

Aside from saving my own sanity, we're working on what the ROI is. I'm trying to equate a dollar amount for the ROI. I'm looking at the marketing information right now. Showing people the value of all the marketing efforts that we're putting forward will be where we see our return on investment.

We have a yearly contract and then we pay, as needed, if we need to add more seats. For about 100 users our cost is $95,800. There are additional costs if you want to have Professional Services hours. If you're going to do a data-shift or implement dashboards, you pay a one-time fee for additional hours to get you set up and running.

The main difference between Domo and Power BI is that Domo is more geared towards a business user to do all aspects of it: To make the data connections, clean up the data, and create the cards. Whereas with Power BI, you still want to have the assistance of Microsoft training and have a little bit more of an IT background to have it make sense or become second nature, without extensive training. Domo is really set up to help a business user accomplish the same goals, almost in "layman's terms," if you will.

What other advice do I have?

Go all-in with it and really let Domo take over and fill it out for you. Don't hesitate. You may think it's a challenge or it's a lot of work to get it implemented. Don't sit on it, don't hesitate. Let them do the work with their implementation services. Ultimately, if you want, they can do everything for you. Get everything upfront.

In my department, Domo is used daily. I represent a small portion of the larger company and we haven't extended outside of our department yet. We're still flushing everything through us.

I rate Domo a 10 out of 10 because of the ease of use and the way that it's geared towards users such as myself. It's not really steeped in IT lingo.

Kevin Bennett - PeerSpot reviewer
    Application Engineer at Automation Anywhere
    Good visualizations with support for creating PowerPoint presentations

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for Advanced Marketing Performance Data for a $3B in revenue cloud-company.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to change our performance metrics and tracks our goals in real-time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are merging datasets, getting quick visualizations, and creating PowerPoint presentations instantly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more dashboard creation options.

I have been using this solution for five years.
    Kim Galan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager - Talent Acquisition Analytics at a wholesaler/distributor
    MSP
    Enables us to blend data and do transformations in a single platform
    • "What makes me really fond of Domo is the ETL because it enables us to maximize a single platform for pulling reports and automating things. We can send the raw data from a third-party platform and do the rest of the ETL in Domo, including transforming data, adding columns, etc."
    • "In terms of the analytics, there is quite a limited set of options when using Domo. Whereas with Tableau we can perform heavy statistical computations, Domo doesn't have that capability. Domo is quite limited on that side."

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Domo for automation of our reports. I'm connected with a large company and I focus on talent acquisition and analytics. We are mostly pulling reports from Oracle BI, reports that are used by our talent acquisition staff. We connect our Domo database to OBI and pull the reports from there. The visualization and the rest of the analytics functions are stored in Domo.

How has it helped my organization?

Domo is a great help to our organization because, prior to Domo, we were using an Excel base. We were highly dependent on Excel, including manual entries and encoding of data. We were quite heavy on that. But as we shifted to Domo, most of our reports were automated and displayed real-time for our end users. It's a really great help with our business, here in the Philippines.

It saves a lot of time. Without Domo, we would need more manpower to support our reports. Before Domo, we had a report-focus which required a headcount of two and there are only two of us on this team. Eventually, most of our work time was diverted into the reports: extraction, preparation, and consolidation of all the data coming from individual Excel files. It saves a lot of time as well as cost because we don't need to hire more people to work on the reports.

What really helps us a lot with Domo is that we are able to focus on our core functions. We are heavily dependent on data collection, data gathering, and finalizing data. The clerical functions are being isolated or reduced, as we shift to Domo.

I don't have dollar numbers, but in terms of hours, we have certain reports that were being generated after four to five hours of work a day. But in Domo, we need just 30 minutes to create that report. That report is being published every day, so it really helps us a lot.

What is most valuable?

What makes me really fond of Domo is the ETL because it enables us to maximize a single platform for pulling reports and automating things. We can send the raw data from a third-party platform and do the rest of the ETL in Domo, including transforming data, adding columns, etc.

There is also a built-in viz mode which is really helpful for us. We can do computations there and, eventually, see the computation results in real-time.

We have been exploring the key functions which, for us, right now, include dashboard creation and using the Magic ETL. We are focused on them because we do a lot of stuff related to ETL. We are also doing some blending, data transformations from different data sources. It's quite helpful because we don't need to do it outside the Domo platform. Before that, prior to discovering the blend function, we used to do it in Excel first and then upload it to Domo. Since discovering that function, we just pull the raw data coming from a system and Domo does the rest of what needs to be done.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the dashboard that they have created, they can do better. If you are quite new to Domo, and you're not familiar with how to play with the buttons, the options, you might get lost.

They can further help the user by providing better customization and options. For example, for customizations, instead of displaying a dropdown, why not just have a button for selecting which filters to show? That would really help users to explore faster and understand the data better.

I'm also using Domo in mobile and it's quite impressive. However, there are no options to edit using your mobile. That's a limitation. In the future, they should consider adding the edit function in mobile.

In terms of the analytics, there is quite a limited set of options when using Domo. Whereas with Tableau we can perform heavy statistical computations, Domo doesn't have that capability. Domo is quite limited on that side. They may need to consider improving on that in the future.

But overall, what I'm seeing in the system right now is good. It really helps a lot in streamlining our processes and enables us to focus on our core function.

I have been using Domo for about two years, altogether.

Domo is good, as long as you have a good internet connection. That's one of the challenges here in the Philippines, which is one of the countries with a slow internet connection. When I was working in another company with a good internet connection and bandwidth, we were able to access Domo very easily.

I would rate the scalability at 7.5 out of ten. What differentiates other business intelligence software from Domo is that with other business intelligence software you can find tutorials on YouTube. For example, you can find several tutorials for Tableau on YouTube, but for Domo, I don't believe you can find any. It's difficult to find a training module for Domo, unless you are in the Domo University.

I haven't tried contacting Domo's technical support since I joined this organization.

We were using Excel prior to Domo.

All the organization's data is really important. With data you can measure how you are performing. The challenges in using Excel were, number one, integrity. Maintaining extra spreadsheets over time is really hard. Gathering and updating the data is really hard. Second, of course, is that there is a lot of manual work in Excel, unless you have someone trained to do queries or Visual Basic macros. That can help speed up the reports, but it may take time, again, to develop queries and programming for Excel. The driver for our switch to Domo was to speed things up and be able to deliver reports on time, accurately, and more reliably when compared with Excel.

It's relatively complex to implement.

One type of ROI is that have been able to reduce the number of staff needed to prepare certain reports. Before using Domo, I would estimate that the company needed at least four people on the team to handle just the reports for our talent acquisition team. Now, we need closer to two staff. And that's just one team.

I'm not sure about pricing, but I believe Domo is quite costly. Prior to joining this organization, I had a Domo license with my former employer and I think that license was around $500 to $600 annually. That was for a single license. I think it varies, depending on the organization that is acquiring Domo.

What other advice do I have?

Domo is a great tool, in my opinion. But the first thing that you need to consider is what kind of return on investment Domo can deliver. There are a lot of things that Domo can deliver. There are a lot of things that I haven't tried yet with Domo and I'm quite excited about trying them. But in terms of the ROI, there's a really great opportunity to save cost and time with Domo, particularly for if you are heavy on reports. If your organization needs certain data or reports in real-time, reports that help you to decide on certain issues, Domo can be helpful.

For the setup, the first thing that really matters to me is the importance of the fundamentals and training for users. If a user has not been well-trained to provide technical explanations to other users who eventually join the organization, it's quite difficult to understand Domo.

When I joined this organization, they had already been using for Domo but for less than a year. In terms of the reports, they are not utilizing it fully because they don't have any dedicated person to handle it. In addition, they don't have any trained personnel here, so there's no one to set up the reports, there's no one to explore the functionality of the system. It's quite a challenging role. We have been working on overcoming those issues.

As for increased usage in the future, we have a mandate from management that we're eventually shifting everything, all the reports, into this platform, because of its usefulness. It's quite good and I think the organization supports it.

It is being used globally in our organization. We have counterparts in other regions including India, Bulgaria, and the US. Our team alone has more than ten people who handle the business analytics. We are the ones preparing our records and data in Domo for all talent acquisitions for this organization.

I would rate Domo at eight out of ten. It's really quite helpful for me to use Domo. Domo helps a lot in terms of reports and streamlining the reporting process. It helps the organization to make decisions quickly.

Rohit Chavan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Developer at CapitalVia Global Research LTD
    Enables us to connect with MySQL, with the database of our CRM to create reports
    • "We've worked with all the features of Domo. Among the most important are Pivot and Sumo Cards. We can use drill-down from the top-most level with a click, generating charts."
    • "The user interface is quite good."
    • "It's quite slow. We are using about 2,000,000 rows of data. Creating certain reports takes almost a couple of minutes, which should not be the case."
    • "I would like to publish a dashboard for the employees so that they can also see the performance of our organization. But that is not a feature in Domo, although it's something that Zoho provided."

What is our primary use case?

Our business deals with B-to-B and B-to-C customers. Our main objective is to present an analysis of our business. From our databases we generate a report and we showcase it to our upper management team, showing them the exact analysis that has been done.

How has it helped my organization?

Earlier, in terms of analytics and data, it was slow going. We used to manually create the reports. We didn't have any interface or way of presenting any data to the CEO or CIO of our organization. We used to pull out reports by creating them in Excel. Domo has helped us directly present data to the upper management team. We have created particular dashboards on Domo and given direct access to upper management so that they can have a look and strategize for the future. We created the dashboard once to meet the requirements. Now, automatically, as the values of the data change, the job is done. They are able to understand the current status of the business.

On a daily basis, it is saving us four hours per day. We used to spend four hours extracting the data for a report.

What is most valuable?

We've worked with all the features of Domo. Among the most important are Pivot and Sumo Cards. We can use drill-down from the top-most level with a click, generating charts.

Apart from that, we are able to connect with MySQL; directly with the database of the internal CRM to fetch data and create reports and present it.

The user interface is quite good.

What needs improvement?

It's quite slow. We have about 2,000,000 rows of data. Creating certain reports takes almost a couple of minutes, which should not be the case.

One of the things Domo can work on is the filters it provides. I have created many dashboards and the filters are not that user-friendly. If we have two dates, we are not able to filter it on both, it allows only one date, which is not a nice thing. If they could improve on that, it would be great.

Finally, I would like to publish a dashboard for the employees so that they can also see the performance of our organization. But that is not a feature in Domo, although it's something that Zoho provided. I would request that Domo enable us to share a particular dashboard with the employees, providing the filters with that. Domo doesn't provide anything like that. This is one of the features we want. We are not able to share our data with the employees. We don't want to share all the data. Our objective is to enable an individual to look after his performance in the organization. We are not able to do that. That's why we are stuck with only a few people using it in the upper management team of our organization.

We haven't had any downtime or crashes, it's running absolutely fine.

The performance should be improved in terms of data fetching from the external application. When you connect it with the database it takes some time to extract the data.

We haven't had to contact technical support. We did communicate with the salespeople. They replied whenever they received our messages.

We were using Zoho. My boss said to me, "We need something that we can use to present our data." We started looking for a tool that would help us. We came up with Domo and directly started the implementation.

The setup was straightforward, easy. You have to directly connect it with the database. We have a database for our internal application and integrated directly with that database and it was good to go. That process took one to two hours.

We started by creating one report, then another report. The initial R&D I did on Domo took me between ten and 15 days, and then I moved on to creation of the reports. After that, I was able to create the dashboards in a month.

I was the only one who developed the entire dashboard in our organization. I am the entire owner of Domo.

We did not use a consultant.

Over the last year we have saved about half of the amount of the subscription. It has reduced our costs more than we expected. It has saved us manpower, money, and made things more efficient. It doesn't require ten people working on it, one person can develop and that's why I am here, to run this entire project.

Pricing was a huge factor. Domo is slightly costly but it's much cheaper than some. If possible, when we renew our subscription we will be requesting a price cut. We can get the same features from competitors. We may have to look for a new subscription.

Zoho has created very advanced analytics but Domo is far better than Zoho. We looked at Cluvio and Grow. We went with Domo because it is easy to use and easy to understand.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to use. There's no need for Google or videos to learn something. You can just explore it and do whatever you want and it's very easy to understand with a good interface.

We have kept the number of users to not more than 15. We have kept it confidential and not made it available to the employees.

We are planning to increase usage of Domo. We had a lot of negotiations with the team that was helpful regarding the sharing of a particular dashboard with other people. We have a one-user subscription and we want to share this with another one so that they can at least have a look at the performance in the organization. We are planning to share Domo with the employees. We have between 300 and 500 employees. Our target is that by the next financial year we will deploy this product throughout the organization.

Irade Kashgary - PeerSpot reviewer
    Project Manager at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
    Custom connectors provide a lot of flexibility in bringing in data from different sources
    • "The ability to create custom connectors was useful because you never know, with customers, what platform they want to utilize or what data they have. It gave us a lot of flexibility in being able to bring data in from different places."
    • "It is very difficult too, if we do have specific requests or errors that we can't get figure out - especially when it comes to the development platform, developing custom connectors or doing any kind of API work, custom cards - in that there's a lag in the response time."

What is our primary use case?

I've used it as a platform to bring data together and pull insights out of it. I tried to connect different sources and match them. I'd utilize Google Analytics with data from Salesforce Marketing Cloud to be able to see how email activity in campaigns was impacting user activity on the sites.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us an opportunity to get a closer look at how our campaigns were performing outside of just the email itself and the landing page, to get an insight into how people were interacting with our sites. We were able to look at how successful campaigns were in converting leads.

We did a few studies where we looked into customers' data, connecting it from all different points, whether it was phone calls or the like. We were able to match it up with what it was that was causing that customer's activity to rise or drop.

It has a really easy platform to create user-friendly data models. It allowed us to click into the data, which was nice. Even though we could step back and see the bigger picture, we could also get into the details. At one point we were merging zip code to zip code data, so we could actually go all the way down to the zip code level and see how well a campaign was performing in a given area.

It definitely gave us the opportunity to figure out where there's room for us to grow or where there was room for our clients to grow. Getting down into that zip code level, we could do a comparison between different markets and say there were a lot of customers in a given demographic whom we could target.

It also let us know which of our campaigns was more successful compared to others.

What is most valuable?

Workbench works well and it uses local files. I had to set up Workbench integrations and it made things so much easier. There was never a point that it was down - and it would be really easy to spot the problem, generally user issues, if there was anything wrong. It was especially helpful during migration when we were trying to get everything into Domo. It can handle a lot.

What needs improvement?

They do have a feedback feature which is really nice, but it can take a long time to get any responses on that.

It is very difficult too, if we do have specific requests or errors that we can't get figure out - especially when it comes to the development platform, developing custom connectors or doing any kind of API work, custom cards - in that there's a lag in the response time. They do eventually respond, instead of issues getting lost, and they do make those improvements. If they are small improvements they do it rather quickly. If they need a developer then it's slow.

Sometimes it takes data a long time to run, especially when you're connecting data and running SQL queries. Sometimes an error is not caught right off the bat and you have to wait a couple of hours for it to run and then you can catch the error. That part could do with some improvement.

There is coding that you can manipulate data with on the actual card in Beast Mode and that part can get a little messy. It's not something where, if five people are working on one dashboard, each person can go in and edit and make alterations. It's not very collaborative, but it does work and it does wonders when you need to work with very specific data.

It's pretty stable. There hasn't been any downtime that we've ever experienced, any issues that required us to reset or that made us lose data.

Scalability is pretty good. I didn't have any issues with it. I was able to do a wide range of things. There's a lot of room for growth and the ability to grow on the platform.

Technical support was great. You gave them a call, they put in a ticket.

If it was something that required a little bit more technical work then it was a lot slower. And their updates could be a little lacking. There's definitely room to grow in their responsiveness. But other than that, with small editing, small issues that didn't require too much technical work on the backend, they were very good and very responsive.

My previous company was looking to grow in business intelligence and Domo was the best option among all of them. But I wasn't there when they made those decisions.

ROI can definitely come from the predictive analysis aspect. You can take any sort of data from any platform and put it into Domo and automate it so you're not wasting time. If you have a monthly analysis or monthly reports, you can automate all of that with this platform, making those processes a lot faster and much more efficient. It also leaves little room for user error that could normally happen in Excel or the like.

It is also good if you're using it internally, especially if you work with billing, to help navigate your resources or to figure out where you can best utilize your employees, etc.

It is on the pricier end.

What other advice do I have?

One thing from my experience that we could have improved was that we had a limited number of technical people on it. You definitely need to be savvy with a lot of heavy SQL as well as API integrations. if you're trying to utilize it the most, the best thing to do is utilize their development platform. They have a developers page that really does wonders and takes it to the next step. If you're investing in it, then invest in being able to utilize that.

They also have a webpage where they show a lot of examples with different data models, showing you how to utilize tools to the best of their capabilities. That is really great as well.

The UI is definitely easy to pick up. If you do have a little bit of SQL experience, it's easier to use, rather than trying your own merge capability. It has its own user interface where you can do what you would initially do with queries or Redshift. That part is pretty good. But I prefer to use Domo's SQL and Redshift capabilities that require a little bit of coding, compared to what it has in its user interface, which allows similar processes.

That being said, everything else has been really easy and very self-explanatory. They do have good documentation and they have user groups and discussion boards that provide a lot of answers to your questions.

I definitely see use of the solution growing. There's so much more that it can be used for. There's a lot of predictive analysis that it can go into, and a lot of connectors that it can work with that allow you to use more and more functionalities and help with that whole predictive analysis aspect. In my previous organization, when I was there, they were growing the team to focus on what they could do with Domo.

Overall, Domo really transformed how we worked with data. Things that would normally take three or four weeks could be set up to take a day or two, if not less. The fact that it was able to take a whole workload off and provide a lot of analysis and even further insight, in that shorter amount of time, was great.

A very useful tool if you want to check your data constantly and historically
    • "Domo has a lot of connections using APIs where you can use data from different databases, such as NoSQLs, SQL databases, and other connections. These connections exist to obtain data and transform whatever that you want."
    • "If your ETL runs more than 24 hours, it always fails because we are logging a lot of historical data, and there is a restriction on the amount of data (in rows) that you can run. The technical support has not found a solution for this yet."

What is our primary use case?

I use Domo mostly for three reasons:

1. To create connections with several applications and obtain data from those applications, e.g., Google Drive, Google Sheets, or Google Analytics
    2. With those connections, I love to upload data to Domo and transform that data in different ways. I create ETLs to join the data.
    3. When I join the data, it is transformed into a card where the client can see his data in a graphical way. From this, he can understand how his company is performing, because the data which I upload is from their call center(s).

Domo is not for fixing errors. We don't fix anything with the database. Domo is for processing data and showing the data to clients. They can see how their company is with calls, and if they are selling well or not.

How has it helped my organization?

For our clients, who have call centers, it is very important. For example, they need real-time data and Domo allows them to obtain data every 15 minutes. It updates the data every 15 minutes with new issues to fix it for the moment and will detect if something is wrong, which is for the client, as they need to ensure their data is okay and everything is working. The client needs to know if their reps are working well and selling their products.

What is most valuable?

Domo has a lot of connections using APIs where you can use data from different databases, such as NoSQLs, SQL databases, and other connections. These connections exist to obtain data and transform whatever that you want. This is valuable because I work with Postgres.

You can also create two types of ETL:

1. A graphical ETL.
    2. It can be used cold with MySQL and transformed into whatever you want with the code.

It is pretty amazing; the things that you can do with this product.

What needs improvement?

If your ETL runs more than 24 hours, it always fails because we are logging a lot of historical data, and there is a restriction on the amount of data (in rows) that you can run. The technical support has not found a solution for this yet. Their recommendation is just to run less data, which does not work for us.

I would like the real-time reporting to decrease the range of output from every 15 minutes to every five minutes.

They could add create a card in a timeline to see how calls are going. Domo has a lot of features, but it does not have a timeline.

The stability is pretty good. We have not had a problem with losing data.

There is an issue with Domo's storage because there is a limit with it. In five years, the storage requirements for Domo will not work for companies.

We currently have 50 people using the solution, though we have only about ten full access accounts. The rest of the accounts are preview only versions.

If you have an issue with Domo, their response is less than an hour. Their support contacts you immediately when you send an email for an issue on a database or data set. Then, they follow their process and will always try to solve the problem in less than 48 hours.

We previously had a homegrown application that we used. We switched applications because of iOS limitations.

Domo was already installed and configured when I started.

It's pretty simple to configure within a database and with another IP, like Google. It provides a step-by-step explanation of how to do something using stickers in the questions. Clicking on the sticker, it tells you more information about what you need to to do to configure something, which is pretty simple. It takes a minute to a minute and a half to set up.

We implemented in-house.

It takes one person to create the configuration and the data sets to upload the data, then three or four more to create the cards. The cards will be where you will need more time to transform the information, because you need to know what clients need to create the card like the client wants or what they want to see in the card. Therefore, it needs around five to ten people working on the deployment, then maintaining the solution.

When implementing, you need to know what the client really needs and what do you want to create in Domo.

We are making money from Domo, and all our clients are happy with the information that they receive from it. We have seen our customer base grow due to the product's usage.

Right now, we are trying to use Pentaho.

Domo has a lot of tools that other software, like Amazon, doesn't have.

What other advice do I have?

Domo is a good tool, and you won't regret it if you chose it for your company, since it is a very useful tool if you want to check your data constantly and historically. You can compare and create graphics to compare the past with the present and estimate to see how your company is performing.

Right now, the data is the most important thing in the world. Domo always tries to keep your data protected and available to you and your clients. This is something which  good with Domo.

As our company increases in size, our usage of Domo will increase.

We use Datadog in conjunction with Domo, but they are two separate tools: Datadog is used for checking issues in the databases and Domo is used for uploading data from the databases. E.g., Datadog will inform you what is going on every second in the databases. It provides information if something is wrong or if one of the processes hasn't finished.

Girish Kumar Dandamudi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Does a good job of ETL, but the SDK is not up to date and not available on their webiste
    • "I mostly see it as an ETL which has many system connectors. It does a good job of ETL."
    • "Their STK is not up to date and you can't access it on their website. They have a private STK to access resources in Domo."
    • "I would like to be able to drill down more when there is a particular area where there is a problem. I don't clearly see that in Domo at the moment."

What is our primary use case?

I use Domo BI as a back-end business API to build a bot. We are not currently using the entire Domo system. It's an external API for us. We are building another layer on top of it and not interacting with Domo itself that much. Our client is a Fortune 500 company that is actually using it. We were provided with read access to build a product on top of it.

What is most valuable?

Other than the SDK, it is a basic tool where you can create cards and charts. I mostly see it as an ETL which has many system connectors. It does a good job of ETL.

I also use some of the visualizations but they are pretty standard across the industry. There is not much difference between Domo or Power BI or Qlik. All of them provide the same types of charts.

The basic analytics are okay. They show some information on what's happening with the system.

What needs improvement?

Their SDK is not up to date and you can't access it on their website. They have a private SDK to access resources in Domo. I'm not sure why. We were shocked to find out that they have an SDK but it is not available worldwide.

They have come out with the Domo Store but I have yet to explore it thoroughly. I checked the store but I couldn't find some of the apps, so I had to make my own.

Amazon has come out with QuickSight and there is Tableau which has a desktop version, and that is something Domo doesn't have as of now. Qlik also has a desktop version. There are other aspects that Domo has to work on.

Less than one year.

It's pretty stable. With the APIs, I haven't encountered major issues with Domo.

We contacted technical support at Domo. We talked with the engineering team there regarding the SDK. They said that they only have a Java SDK right now. They said they're trying to build more. I believe they might come out with something in the third quarter of 2019.

Communicating with them was fine.

What other advice do I have?

Implementing Domo depends on the project, how much time it will take to build the dashboards, how many KPIs you are looking at, and how much of your data will come into the system. It also matters how many data sources there are. If you have ten to 15 sources every time it is a lot of work because you need to join all those tables and combine them into one to build the dashboards on top of it.

There is a difference between working with Domo and working on top of Domo. The major difference is that if you are working with Domo, you would rather use ETL and work with connectors; build the database and then dashboards for internal systems, sales, HR, marketing, and the website. That is working with Domo. But working outside of Domo, you just the APIs to push the data or the dashboard data, and you work on it on top of it.

In our organization, I am the one who works with Domo the most. Our organization is pretty small. We are a startup still. For startups, there is no discount. There is a trial version but that is only for 30 days. If you want to use a basic system, go with AWS QuickSight because it is available with pay-as-you-go and it is way less, in comparison, because it is new in the market.

I would rate Domo at six out of ten. I'm not in love with Domo. I have some issues with it. In my opinion, it is not that secure. I feel it is exposed a little. I also feel the ETL is a little outdated. They're not up to the mark on updating and don't have support for multiple languages. For example, they only support for Java right now. They don't even support Python or .NET.

Fredrik Schauman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at TokenMarket Capital
    Changed the way we built software - we were able to leave all the business intelligence and reporting out of it and use Domo for that
    • "The fact that you can add any data source is valuable. The entire data handling suite they have, all the apps, etc., is pretty amazing. One of the key things, not being a techie or a data-warehouse guy, is that you can connect data sources, and do all kinds of pretty amazing things."
    • "Their organization or client service didn't always keep up... They took on more and more clients and the processes slowed down a little bit."

What is our primary use case?

We used it for data crunching, analytics, and business intelligence to take it to a new level.

How has it helped my organization?

We built a culture around Domo. We built the culture around numbers, and sales guys not being able to hide anywhere, because we had the whole office plastered with 60-inch screens. We built a culture in the company around transparency and numbers and being able to crunch any numbers from any direction or any angle. That was the foundation of my startup. I could take any Excel sheet, for example, if I wanted to crunch analytics or numbers, connect it to Domo, and do the number crunching in Domo.

In addition, when we developed software internally, we were able to leave all the business intelligence and reporting out of it, so it actually changed the way we built software. We used Domo for all of that. We had a pretty big database and when we made changes to it we'd just connect the entire database to Domo and do all the analytics there. That was pretty helpful. It cut a lot of costs.

And the tech guys used it for getting alerts on anything from HTTP errors to whatever else you can think of. They would get alerts when somebody was scraping our database or when something was down.

What is most valuable?

One of the key things, not being a techie or a data-warehouse guy, is that you can connect data sources and do all kinds of pretty amazing things. Even I used to do it. I was the founder and owner of the company and I was managing the whole staff, etc., yet I still used Domo myself, to a certain extent. It's pretty user-friendly. Of course, when you have massive data sources, it's different. But the way we used it, it was quite straightforward. We had 100 million-plus rows of data in Domo, and we were a small startup.

What needs improvement?

We struggled to keep up with it but I don't really know if there were any bad things about the product itself. Their organization or client service didn't always keep up. But as software, it's pretty far ahead of anything else. It's like the Rolls Royce of business intelligence.

It's more about you, yourself, having the resources to keep up with their development because it's pretty stellar.

Three to five years.

We never had any issues with its stability at all. There were scheduled maintenance breaks. We did have a couple of stops when there was a data table that wouldn't load correctly, but that was something that they usually solved within just a few hours.

We went from a couple of thousand rows of data to 100 million rows of data with no issues at all. But we were not an enterprise. Domo is really an enterprise tool and that's where you get the big bang for the buck.

We began with three people and we grew up to about 100 users, plus some board members and some external investors. We were able to give dashboard access, different rights to different groups of people. We could build a "Board of Directors dashboard," or an "investor dashboard." Everybody used Domo in our organization, either to view, analyze, or for daily use. Some used it more, some used it less.

We used Domo for five years. In the beginning, the first three-and-a-half years or so, technical support was amazing. They would answer six things immediately. But they took on more and more clients and the processes slowed down a little bit. I don't know if they've gotten that fixed, but in the later stages it slowed down a little bit.

I'd say they're still ahead of a lot of other platform providers or software providers. It wasn't like Microsoft where you can never talk to anybody, or Google where you can never reach anybody, ever.

I received a presentation of up-and-coming types of software and in the business intelligence category there was one slide on Domo. I went to their website and I looked at their demo. I said, "Holy smokes, this is what I need." It wasn't like I was looking for a solution. I just found Domo, and realized, "Okay. This can change my business."

Back then, we were a two-person company. I went to my board and said, "I'm going to spend $50,000 on this business intelligence tool," and they looked at me like, "You're crazy. Have you lost your mind?" And I said, "No, no. Trust me. This is going to be good." So we bought it. It wasn't sold to me.

We were thinking of building our own CRM that would be part of our own applications, a backend to our own systems. But we skipped that when we took on Domo.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. We bought it as a yearly package and got ten licenses to begin with and then a bunch of U-licenses. The setup was included in that. They set it up according to what we wanted included in the price. They didn't come back to us at any point and say, "You've run out of hours." They did it quite elegantly. We got up and running nicely.

The initial deployment took two to three weeks. That's one of the crazy things about Domo. If I have a huge database or an ERP or a CRM, and it's in an SQL or another database, it's about a two-hour process to connect it to Domo. It's not complicated. If I want to get all my Twitter, Facebook, and analytics into Domo and into dashboards, that's something I can do, and it will take me about 15 minutes. It is "next-level." It is pretty amazing.

There is an app in Domo - the Workbench - that picks up the information. You connect your LinkedIn or your Facebook to Domo and it just picks up all the relevant data. There's a ready-made dashboard for it and you can modify it if you want. But for most companies, the dashboards that they've already built are good enough to begin with.

It's a super quick process.

In terms of an implementation strategy, we talked with the implementation team about what's important, what's not, etc. We thought about it and discussed it over a couple of Skype calls and then we made it happen.

The deployment speed is one of the biggest advantages that they have.

We did it ourselves, with Domo. We had a couple of tech guys who built our software and they picked up Domo by watching a couple of videos in the Domo University. They did a lot of the integration and a lot of the deployment. They built a lot of dashboards. It's super-simple to get started.

When we started using it, I had one tech guy who helped a little bit. And then Domo did a lot of the deployment, and then we were up and running. We came back to Domo and asked them for a couple of bigger tweaks and they helped. They gave our tech guys some guidance and then we took over and did everything ourselves. So it required very little in terms of our staff. We had no full-time Domo guy. We'd do it on the fly.

Once it was up and running we didn't have anyone maintaining it.

I couldn't put a number on ROI but it has probably paid for itself a few times. The fact that we could leave out stuff from our own applications means we probably already saved the money there a few times over. But it's the effect of Domo on the culture of the company that I can't put a number on.

They keep on coming up with more and more apps; they've built an "app economy." Some of them are really expensive, so they're not for startups and smaller companies. They're more like enterprise tools. We couldn't afford some of them, because they were so crazy expensive. But if I was working for a bank, insurance company, or some bigger corporation then, for sure, they could justify those prices.

Back then, when we bought it, pricing was very mystical. It seemed like it depended on who you were. There were no prices on the website, nothing public. It was probably on a case-by-case basis. It was silly expensive back then and it probably still is, or even more expensive. But, again, I've sold EMC storage solutions where we were four times more expensive than others and we could justify it.

I'm a big believer in: "If you're poor you don't have money to buy poor quality."

I've used different ERPs, CRMs, and different types of analytics throughout my career, but I've never invested in anything like this before. This is "next-level."

What other advice do I have?

If you implement Domo, go full-on with Domo and let go of all the legacy stuff. The big mistake is that you implement Domo and then you have something else as well. If you're thinking of consolidating analytics, go full-on because Domo can solve everything when it comes to data-handling, analytics, business intelligence, and reporting, etc. My advice would be: Have the courage to let go of all the old stuff.

I'm a big fan in many ways. I'm not a techie in that sense, I'm more a CEO. But I'm a big ambassador of Domo. When you compare storage, for example, you have Dell EMC and then you have all the others. In business intelligence, you have Domo and then you have the others. That's how I see it.

If the company I now work for, a new startup, ever grows to the size we need it to be, then I would be an ambassador for Domo again. Or if I was running a company, I would look at implementing Domo pretty quickly to get a really crisp understanding of how the business makes money, and what we can do to make more.

Every organization is different, so you would probably use it differently depending on what you do. My old startup was a very sales-heavy business. It was a lot about sales and customer data and the like. In another organization, you might use different kinds of analytics and business intelligence. How you use it really depends on what you do.

I would give it a ten out of ten. If you've actually lived the "Domo life," it's hard to get along with anything else after that. It is that good.

Alex Perez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager of Data Analytics & CRM Operations at a tech company with 201-500 employees
    Allows us to store as much data as we want without extra charges, and Redshift ETL tools are great
    • "The best thing is that the data storage is pretty much free. I can store as much data as I want, from different sources."
    • "The ETL tools they have in Redshift are pretty awesome... I can work in Redshift to get the data from AWS and work in Redshift, in Domo, to create Transforms and the data structure we need..."
    • "They could use more charts. They have had a very limited number of charts we can use. I believe, now, there are somewhere around 30 of them, but they could definitely use some more options."
    • "I would also like to see improvements to their drag and drop Magic ETL tool. You can drag and drop your ETL tool, but it doesn't really work for a large amount of data. It struggles with that. In a real-world application, where you're working with 30 million rows or 100 million rows, it takes a bit longer to process the data. If you do it in the Redshift ETL tool, using your own code, it's much faster."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to use it to show all of the analytics for our retail stores and allow the managers to see their store numbers and compare them to the other stores.

And for employee performance, employees can compare themselves to the rest of the country. That was probably my biggest application of it and it's an interesting use case because we manage all of the data in the backend. We are able to get the users to see a very static view of how they are doing compared to the top ten percent of their region, their state, and the top ten in the country. It creates a pretty cool way for employees and store managers to compete, in a healthy way, with the rest of the stores.

How has it helped my organization?

The best improvement is the data availability. For an organization that has over 12,000 users, having data on the cloud for anyone, anytime, to see their live stats is really different. We didn't have that before. That completely changed the way we look at how a store performs and how employees perform.

We had limited visibility into the data previously so I can't tell you that we have seen huge improvements from the data standpoint. But the company really started to focus on performance metrics and, over time, we saw people improve their performance from the time that we got Domo and onward for the next two years. When people started to adopt it, we started to see performance increases, especially in the stores that were more focused on it.

What is most valuable?

The ETL tools they have in Redshift are pretty awesome. They also have them in MySQL, but I find it really easy to gather data from AWS and work with Redshift all the way through the process. I can work in Redshift to get the data from AWS and work in Redshift, in Domo, to create Transforms and the data structure we need for the remainder of the users.

What needs improvement?

I would also like to see improvements to their drag and drop Magic ETL tool. You can drag and drop your ETL tool, but it doesn't really work for a large amount of data. It struggles with that. In a real-world application, where you're working with 30 million rows or 100 million rows, it takes a bit longer to process the data. If you do it in the Redshift ETL tool, using your own code, it's much faster.

More than five years.

The stability is great. We have been down for maybe a few hours, once or twice, over the four years I've worked with them.

Most of the issues we had were on our side, with our data, rather than with them. That's why I was actually surprised to read other reviews that said that they were having trouble with loading the data or updating the data. I think that may be because of the way they implemented it because I've never had any issues with that.

I have worked with such large businesses with Domo that I think it could scale to any size. We have 12,000 users across the country, 600 stores, and hundreds of gigs of data.

The majority of the users are just looking at their numbers. They're not really doing much analysis or creating their own charts. But about 600 to 1,000 of the users are corporate users who make tables or their own charts or create their own metrics. But most of that runs through me, if they needed data changes.

I'm not sure there's much need for us to grow into it. We have adopted it close to 100 percent of the time. All of our company employees are on it.

I have to give tech support a really good score. They've been great with me. If I have a question, I call them and they answer the phone. They are able to walk me through from the most minimal thing. If I need help with something really complex, something I developed which is customized, they still give me a hand. But ultimately, whatever you build is on you.

I have had to escalate a few things, mostly because I wanted to get them done faster or there was a problem I didn't understand. I just go to my sales rep and he gets it taken care of. He gets someone to call me right away.

We had a custom tool. It was proprietary and it wasn't that great. It was mostly scraping the data and pasting into an Excel-style sheet in the website. I wouldn't say it was a business intelligence tool at all. Rather, it just showed you flat numbers for reports.

The CEO brought Domo in. He saw that we were growing and he thought it was an interesting tool. He showed it to us, we sampled it. We used it for a few demos and we decided to go with it because there wasn't anything else that gave you the cloud space without charging you for it. They're really good about that. You can take up as much space as you want for data and they don't charge you for it.

We needed something more versatile than what we had and something that was managed on the cloud that we didn't have to touch too much. They were able to provide that for us.

The initial setup really depends on your native structure and what you have built previously. If you already have a really good understanding of your data setup, and you have flattened your data a bit for it to be absorbed by any other tool, it's going to be really straightforward, really easy. Users are going to be able to take advantage of it really quickly.

If you have to go through the process of flattening out all the data and getting everything correct, the prep work could take a couple of months. They do provide a lot of help from their side, if you have questions or for getting the data in. They provide a lot of hands-on from their team. That was good.

For our deployment, to get it out to the 12,000 users, it took about three to four months.

We didn't have an implementation strategy at first. About a month into it, we got a new CIO and he implemented a strategy for us to get it done. A lot of it was guided, before that, by our CEO. He wasn't necessarily great in that area; he was more of a finance guy. Domo also helped a lot, getting us onboard and running as soon as possible.

It was hands-on for me. I had to do a lot of collecting of ideas and what they actually needed. I had to do a little bit of the project management myself, as well. I had to do some pulling of strings everywhere to collect everything that they really needed so we could translate it to what the user needed to see. Half the time I was developing, the other half I was chasing down what exactly was needed.

I was the main developer. We used Big Squid Consulting as extra resources, but I guided most of the actual developmental work.

The Big Squid guys are really good. They provided two consultants and I was able to offload a lot of the work, where I needed help. They took care of a lot of code that, otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to put my hands on as fast.

The deployment was done by the three of us. I worked on it 40 hours a week for three months, and we had each of the other two guys for about five to ten hours a week.

We have seen ROI on the retail side. It brought an openness to the associates who are trying to sell at the storefront. It made them compete a bit harder, being able to see what their commissions were on the fly, live. That really returned most of the investment. I would say within six months of having it implemented it returned its full value.

Domo is expensive compared to some of its competitors but it is well worth it, mostly because the competitors either want you to store the data yourself, or they have similar pricing that isn't really worth it when you compare some of the features that Domo gives you.

We looked at Power BI, but there really weren't any others that gave us the deal that we got on the amount of data we could store and the support that we needed at the time. When we made the decision, Domo was fresh into the market, and there weren't really many competitors. Looker wasn't around. QlikView was around, but they came in a little late to try to get our business. We had already made our decision.

What other advice do I have?

Don't complicate it. At first we thought it was going to be a lot more complicated. It just wasn't. Knowing that, next time, would help me a lot, instead of trying to plan so much for every detail. It was a lot easier than I expected and we spent a lot of time testing stuff and figuring out if the tool was updating. If we had trusted what they were saying, we would have finished a lot faster.

If you don't have a lot of data changing, if your structures are not changing - some companies keep changing the way they structure their data and that will take a lot of time - maintenance isn't that bad. I spend about ten hours a week on maintenance of the solution, and we are running a really big implementation. It's mostly answering user questions. There haven't really been any problems. I am able to work on that and on other projects at the same time. I am able to maintain it with very minimal work.

Overall, I'd give it an eight out ten. From easy usability to documentation to pricing, it's pretty much all there.

it_user817749 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Intelligence Manager at a retailer with 51-200 employees
    Allows me to see high-level information and subsets of data, with a few clicks
    • "Using the "cards" which function as preconfigured reports or views. I use many of them simultaneously on an organized page, with filters that allow me to see high-level information as well as subsets across the dataset, in a few clicks. Many Excel-challenged users love to use this product for its simplicity."
    • "The preconfigured apps need to be more relevant to allow one, out of the box, to load data in order to use pre-set reports/views."

What is our primary use case?

To un-silo and "liberate" our data. To bring many data sources into one place and then allow many users to interact, blend, transform, and enrich data in their own environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Data is much more accessible throughout the organization. Since getting data in a timely manner (i.e. as fast as possible) is so important today, giving the organization a self-service, immediate place to get data as needed and when needed, has really improved the time it takes to make decisions and have the necessary insights. No more waiting for hours for Excel-based reporting.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The preconfigured apps need to be more relevant to allow one, out of the box, to load data in order to use pre-set reports/views.

Never encountered stability issues.

Scalability has been remarkable, with our options; an endless ability to load datasets of all sizes without concern.

Support is remarkable. They know their stuff and are quick to respond and update. Some issues can take a little longer, especially if they are product improvement/development requests.

Like with any product, there will be a learning curve. With Domo it was simple, once we got the hang of the platform. Additionally, support was always available to help us on the back-end or the front-end, to develop what we were aiming for.

I believe that the investment in Domo was worthwhile because it allowed for the organization to jump in quickly, with little training. There are different plans available based on the requirements and they always look to work with their customers to the best of their ability.

I was not involved with the initial evaluation. We had some of the leading technologists in the field who did that, and Domo made a good impression and won the day.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to allow yourself some time. In the end, it will prove worthwhile. Try to come up with as many use cases as possible to PoC.

More than 300% ROI in two years, this system is the unicorn

What is most valuable?

1. Domo is a single system of engagement in a simple browser.

2. There are tools that can only be used by extreme developers who have an in-depth knowledge of graduate level statistics. Domo handles this in Domo, in the same interface, without having to go through multiple systems or modules.

3. Grouping data together on the fly, not having to do your grouping ahead of time in data prep, and in creating views in SQL.

4. Drag and Drop ETL

5. Multi-Dimensional drilling

6. Lighting fast interface

7. Row Level security, which is easy to use and deploy.

How has it helped my organization?

1. The cost savings from redundant reporting and consolidation alone surpass the cost of Domo hands down.

2. Speed to market - able to deploy metrics, reports, complete data sets in hours/days compared to months/years previously.

3. The ability to help identify problems in our data that need to be corrected, whether it be formatting or actual logic.

What needs improvement?

More functions on the ETL side for the drag and drop ETL.

Four years.

None at all.

None at all. The only time Domo has not performed was when something on our side fails.

None. Completely scalable to any size organization.

A nine out of 10

Always responsive. Sometimes getting the right person from ticket to assignment is a little buggy, but I have had to call support less than six times in four years, so I consider that a win.

10 out of 10

They will always find a way to help the customer accomplish what they need, even if it means creating something that doesn't exist.

We currently use many BI solutions, as I am sure many enterprise-level companies do, but we are consolidating. It just takes time in large organizations.

Straightforward.

In-house. One person deployed the instance with very limited support from Domo at our request. This helped us understand that it was truly that simple.

More than 300%.

Seems out of this world, but it is the truth. This ROI calculation was done year two of using the system as a presentation with my management and it continues to increase.

Talk to your account manager. They will work with you on pricing and they will ensure that you get what you need for any size organization.

Birst, Tableau, Crystal, Power BI, GoodData, and Qlik.

What other advice do I have?

In my 15 years of professional experience in IT and Project Controls, this system is truly the one that is the unicorn. That one system that we all wished existed, it finally does and it is real!

Vice President Data Analytics at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Brings Accountability To All Levels Of The Organization

What is most valuable?

• User adoption (ease of use)
    • Fast prototyping of data sets and analytics
    • Collaboration (both inside and outside our organization)
    • Pre-built connectors
    • Access from mobile devices
    • Data Awareness for enterprise
    • Data democratization
    • A jump start on Data Governance.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a night and day change. We've gone from an organization that had no awareness into its data quality, and where data requests would take weeks to months, to one where our culture has transformed to being data first. Communication, trust, awareness have all improved exponentially. Domo has broken down walls, freed people to ask questions, and brought accountability to all levels of the organization.

What needs improvement?

This isn't your typical BI tool. It flips some of those standard concepts we have around reporting tools on their heads. There are areas to improve on like visualization options, and there are areas I think would be valuable for Domo to explore, such as data governance, and providing sandbox or development instances, but updates are frequent and smooth, and the value of the tool in its simplicity and ability to drive user adoption far outweighs any missing visualization features.

16 months.

Hands down the smoothest, fastest deployment that I've ever seen. We barely used the implementation team at all, and we were up and running weeks before the PoC was even half over.

No. Uptime has been consistent.

We are moving fast, and updating how we use the tool all the time. Exploring new ways to make the information consumable to a host of customers both inside and outside our company. So far, so good.

Excellent customer service from the beginning.

Better than any other company I've worked with. Having direct access through buzz (collaboration tool) has been super convenient.

I've worked with many of the BI tools out there, and while I'd say every organization has specific needs, I've never seen user adoption happen so quickly. It's been amazing. Domo was the right fit for what was needed at my current organization. The next company may need something else for different reasons, but Domo has been so successful that I would recommend giving it a look.

We also still use SSRS.

Setup was very straightforward.

• Plug-in credentials for pre-built connectors
    • Load data files
    • Setup ODBC connections to existing databases.

All just take minutes and you won't have a dependency on IT (unless you want to).

Implemented through the vendor team at Big Squid. They were very experienced, a good team.

Our ROI was having an organization that we could trust and be aware of its data, and also make timely and educated business decisions. Not sure you can put a price on that, but it easily covers the investment.

It's comparable to the other tools out there. Domo will work with you.

We did. I have the most history with Business Objects, but evaluated about 30 different tools before landing on Domo and Birst. In the end, Domo was the better fit for the organization.

What other advice do I have?

Domo was the right choice for where our organization is, and I'm confident that it will scale with us.

Every organization has multiple teams that work in different ways. The larger your organization, the more variation you're going to have. The important thing to remember is that the data is what's important. It shouldn't matter if marketing and finance want to use Domo, while your IT department is using SSRS, and Sales is using Salesforce or your actuarial department is using SAS and Tableau. As long as they're all hitting the same data, let them use the tool that fits them best.

This is not a popular notion with IT departments or organizations that already feel entrenched with existing tools and the expensive skill sets that you hire to support them, but those departments aren't typically profit centers either. Bring data to the users, make it easy to see, and easy to talk about. Domo excels where it matters.

it_user240057 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Data Officer at Mobivity
    The distribution of visualizations via a web portal is valuable but refreshing the data was unstable.

What is most valuable?

Distribution of visualizations via a web portal is valuable, but really is basic table stakes. If you are looking for a true analytical tool, skip Domo.

How has it helped my organization?

It has not helped materially. If anything it has hurt, since a better solution would have sped up the dissemination of valuable information in a more actionable manner.

What needs improvement?

1. Allow visualizations to stay locked in place relative to each other, rather than shuffling around based on screen size
    2. More connectors
    3. Better, more responsive tech support and customer service
    4. Better visualization creation tools
    5. More control over both primary and secondary axes
    6. More control over each series' type (line, column, etc.)
    7. Allow users to trigger a data refresh
    8. Faster speed of rendering during visualization creation

I used it for about four months.

Yes. refreshing the data was unstable and would periodically stop working for weeks.

We did not try to scale to any meaningful level.

Poor as data refresh issues took weeks too resolve and there was minimal communication with my team.

Poor as data refresh issues took weeks too resolve.

Yes, I have used Excel, SSRS and Tableau for BI deployments and would do so again before ever deploying Domo. The sales team sold a non-technical executive on the concept of being able to chat about the data, which is a useless, gimmicky feature at best, since now your employees have to look an additional place besides email and IM for prior threads.

Significantly negative. It is a very expensive product with a lot of problems and limitations. I would strongly advise anyone to avoid it.

What other advice do I have?

You should choose something else, like Tableau, BIME, SSRS, or even Excel.

it_user720018 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user720018NA Lead Business Intelligence Systems at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees

I was reading this review as a 4 year DOMO customer, trying to even picture this in the beginning days when you had to sign an NDA before you even got a Demo, but I still can't even picture this. Domo has revolutionized the way we interact with our data. I agree with Jesse.

it_user247299 - PeerSpot reviewer
    SQL Server Database Administrator at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
    Descriptive error messages should be displayed, but it's a stable product.

What is most valuable?

Once the data source has been uploaded to Domo, making graphs is quite easy. The data/graph is also displayed without any wait and we can change filters very easily on our view.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to create countless KPI metrics, so now we have hundreds of DOMO cards that display different KPIs.

What needs improvement?

• Improve help resources
    • Descriptive error messages should be displayed
    • Domo should enable users to sort cards on any given page
    • It is geared mainly towards SalesForce –especially the out of box apps. Before offering apps to customers, Domo team should be careful of how the data in ERP’s other than SalesForce will map with the code for their apps
    • The site is cluttered with hundreds of KPIs which make navigation difficult and is confusing to the eye

I've used if for about six months.

We initially tried using the SQL connector but it did not work out well. We had to go with the workbench too which is probably the best way to upload data sources.

Overall it’s a stable product.

No issues encountered.

It's good - the customer service teams are friendly and responsive.

It's good.

We used SSRS reports. The company president wanted a better data intelligence platform with a more sleek design and better user experience.

The initial set up was pretty straightforward after we were told that it’s best to use the Domo workbench instead of the SQL connector. The SQL connector did not work at all.

I am the one who implemented Domo at my company. I installed Domo workbench, learned to upload data, created data sources and graphs in a short time. I viewed the educational videos and also was given some basic demos by the Domo team.

Our company president wanted this product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product for giving an overall picture of the business. Not a good idea to use it if you are looking for minute details in your reports or if your end users like to play with data in excel. Overall it is a useful tool but I don't think our company is using it the way it is supposed to be used.

MIS Analyst at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It makes creating graphs easy, but sometimes it doesn't calculate correctly.

What is most valuable?

If I had to choose something of value, I suppose I would have to say it's the ease of making graphs. The problem is that I rarely use graphs.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't see that it has. I think it has only complicated things. Perhaps it will get smoother as we set things up to rely on them, but I'm a little nervous about that.

What needs improvement?

All of it.  Sometimes it doesn't calculate correctly, it runs slowly, and doesn't offer a solution to things I'm used to doing. An example of something I'm used to doing that Domo doesn't, is fixing data. When you upload data to Domo, you have three options:

1. Overwrite everything in the table
    2. Append
    3. Create a new table

We can't append the data and update a record (most efficient and accurate). My work around has been to overwrite everything in the table, but my query is limiting it to a 35 day viewing period. I then plan on making a new table to keep data older than 35 days in, and recreate all the cards for that data. Any corrections passed the 35 days will just stay as bad data. To be clear, I do not like this, but it appears to be my only work around at this time.

I have been using Domo for about two months.  I have been told that we have a beta version, but cannot locate any version numbers.

The only issue I seem to encounter that has to do with deployment is that Domo sometimes doesn't calculate correctly (Beast Mode calculations).

It seems to be mostly stable. I have run into a few problems with the workbench not updating as scheduled, but I think it has only given me two errors which were resolved by refreshing the page.

We used MS Excel and web based reporting (PHP and JAVA). We were looking to streamline our reports by making them all web based and using only one platform, ColdFusion. We chose Domo to cut the cost and time of development.

I think it was pretty straight forward. When I got stuck, I was able to find some documentation. The hardest part was knowing what the tools are called for the tasks I was trying to perform (Workbench, Beast Mode, DataFusion, etc.).

I believe we implemented through a vendor, but I was not involved. I do not know what level of support we received.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I keep hearing that it is expensive

Other options were considered, but not evaluated. I do not know what was considered, other than an in-house ColdFusion development platform.

What other advice do I have?

It's not for everyone and it doesn't do everything. It's flashy and mostly useful if you are wanting to analyze one metric at a time, leaving you with several cards of all the metrics you are wanting to look at.
    Example: Just to look at Pay vs. Login (PVL), I have to use 5 cards.

1. Productive PVL
    2.  Pay vs Login (actual PVL)
    3. Phone productive hours
    4. and 5 Show me errors

I can't just look at all the data at once, use conditional formatting to highlight things of interest, and sort/filter to drill down to what I really want to look at. Nor can I quickly drop a formula to answer immediate questions. If, for example, I wanted to do a head count with certain criteria (hours worked, PVL%, etc.), I would then have to make another card for each count and criteria. I can't see it all in one shot to tell the complete story at a glance.

it_user243891 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Although the UI has issues with some browsers, I have never been able to rapidly report and build dashboards faster than I have with this tool.

What is most valuable?

In general, of all the reporting tools I've used in the past, I have never been able to rapidly report and build dashboards faster than I have with this tool. Specifically though, the features I value most are the massive amount of data connectors, as well as their third party tool. The tool enables us to schedule queries from SQL, CSV, and Excel to temporarily push a report out until it can be automated.

How has it helped my organization?

Domo has given us a far better insight into the company's performance. It has changed the pace at which managers and execs expect reports to be delivered.

What needs improvement?

The UI has issues with some browsers and small glitches that hinder performance or functionality.

I am coming up to my second year of using Domo.

Since this was purely SaaS, there was no issue with deployment.

For the most part, I have seen a 99% uptime.

Since this is cloud based, there have been no issues at all with more users running the same report.

With any start-up, having issues keeping up with the growth of customer needs, like support, is to be expected.

Knowledgable about the product and its functionality is adequate. Having no direct access to second tier engineering support is frustrating at times and the relaying of issues takes time.

We previously used Business Object 4. It had a lot of issues with bringing in data, very limited out of the box charts and graphs. It was, also, not scalable or available on mobile.

SaaS platforms remove any initial setup problems and it is ready to go out of the box.

We implemented it in-house.

I can' disclose figures, but what I can say is that this has been the best bang for the buck I have seen since I started working at Sage.

• Dundas Dashboard
    • Telerik
    • SSRS
    • Tableau

What other advice do I have?

If you need easy to use, rapid deploying dashboards available from any device or machine, Domo is the way to go.

it_user243891 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user243891Business Intelligence & Analytics Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees

Domo does build a handful of cards off the bat, but I have built over 1000 cards, 100 data sources, 30 data flows, and a couple of Domo apps in their beta environment. Ad-hoc is so quick and easy that I can build them while in a meeting with stakeholders.

it_user243885 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Intelligence Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    It's particularly suitable for larger scale roll-outs but it lacks the ability to display multiple charts simultaneously.

What is most valuable?

On reflection, one of Domo’s strongest qualities was that the end result was extremely accessible to non-computer-literate users. It’s therefore particularly suitable for larger scale roll-outs across companies where the skill level of the end users is very varied.

How has it helped my organization?

No – It was implemented at the behest of the CEO who left the company during the implementation and there was little interest in BI in any form elsewhere in the company.

What needs improvement?

This is a difficult question to answer because the biggest shortfall for me was data management, but that would probably not be an issue for many people. I used a mix of on-premise data sourced mainly from SQL Server, with some from Excel; and cloud based data from SalesForce and NetSuite. The biggest issue I had with Domo was that I could not effectively combine data from different sources into a single dashboard. Ultimately I got round the problem by acquiring linked servers for both SalesForce and NetSuite so I simply sucked in the data I needed from both into SQL Server and built my combined data sources there.

After working for half a year with Tableau, I’d say one of Domo’s biggest weaknesses is the inability to display multiple charts simultaneously. Their mapping capabilities are also very unsophisticated.

I used the product for nine months, from January to September 2014, and I don't know the version number I was using.

No issues encountered.

Not really. Since everything is cloud based, we were entirely dependent on their servers and I learned not to try to work on certain types of views in the afternoons. Their servers simply couldn’t handle it. As this dates back to last year, it may no longer be a limitation.

No issues encountered.

After initial implementation, we were entirely dependent on the quality of the CSM, and we were not fortunate in that respect.

Very mixed. Our initial implementation manager was absolutely first class in every way, but once we were up and running and were handed off from him, I found technical support very difficult to get anything out of by email or by using DomoTalk. When I had an urgent problem, I short-circuited their system and just picked up the phone. When I did that, I usually managed to get hold of a real person quickly and they tended to be pretty good. I also stayed in touch with our initial implementation manager to some extent.

I’d say that – at least as of late last year – Domo were way under-resourced but the resources they had tended to be at least good, ranging to excellent.

This was our first foray into BI tools.

We were vastly over-sold. Domo was sold as an easy-to-implement-yourself product, but this is completely unrealistic.To be fair, I know that their approach has changed since then, and they now recognize the need for a proper implementation resource, whether internal or external.

I did it in-house with support from their implementation manager.

Not enough comparative experience to judge it against the competition. In the initial discovery, I researched three products, Domo, Birst and one other – I can’t even remember the name. Domo was quite well presented and seemed capable of doing the job. As a user I was pretty happy with its capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

Expect to invest in a proper implementation.

it_user243882 - PeerSpot reviewer
    ERP Developer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
    You have full control to write the queries through the workbench tool, but it can only be installed per user.

The web interface is easy to use and intuitive. Since it's cloud based, you can get to your data from anywhere. However, each user account gets a unique view. Cards can be shared between user accounts, but if you are looking for an enterprise dashboard of cards displayed in a specific order, you'll need to work with each user to pull the shared cards to their
    dashboard pages.

The workbench tool (to integrate locally housed db data) has room for improvement. It can only be installed per user (rather than per PC) and then it uses the Windows task scheduler to schedule auto updates for the data (if you want). So in order to have these tasks run under a service account, you have to log into a box with it and install the workbench under
    that account (no good in my opinion: I never want to log into boxes with service accounts).

The tool is rather pricey for what you get, especially if you use lots of API-based data sources (since in general you have to go through their consulting arm to set up new sources or arrange for new queries to existing after initial set up at ~$225 per hour). If all your data is local, you have full control to write the queries and upload through the workbench tool.

it_user250215 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user250215Delivery Head at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

How about Data security ? Does it stand out in Comparison with Tableau or Oracle Business Intelligence?

it_user241092 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Intelligence Analyst at a media company with 10,001+ employees
    It automatically informs the leadership of the monthly revenue numbers but creating tables and number formats can be improved.

What is most valuable?

The ease of graphing is a great feature, as it takes the pivot out of pivot tables. This is because once the parameters are set up, the same graphs will continue to be populated based on the new information. Therefore, there is no need to keep creating graphs.

How has it helped my organization?

It automatically informs the leadership team with monthly revenue numbers, and drills down who the customers are that contribute the most.

What needs improvement?

• Creating tables - In the current table feature, all of the line items are just that, line items. Ideally I would like to see tables set up as summaries for each line item category
    • Number formats

I've used it for eight months.

8/10.

9/10.

It was straightforward as the IT team knows how to install it remotely.

it_user234786 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Digital Manager with 51-200 employees
    Unfortunately, they couldn't deliver as promised. Initially, we were very intrigued by the ability to get four to six complicated reporting tools into one aggregated dashboard.

What is most valuable?

In the end nothing, but upfront, we were very intrigued by the ability to get four to six complicated reporting tools into one aggregated dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

Unfortunately, no. We never were able to make it work. We were initially promised a one month setup with the four tools of our choice. It took them two months to setup Google Analytics alone, and that merely replicated what we could do.

What needs improvement?

• Ease of use for clients
    • The ability to live up to the promises of its sales staff

We worked with Domo for one year. At no point would I define it as a "solution."

Absolutely. We never were able to get all promised channels plugged into the system.

No issues with stability.

Significantly. When we signed our initial agreement, they told us that we could use it.

They were very responsive, but never actually were able to help us.

I dealt very little with the technical team. However, they were constantly behind on our initial setup.

We had multiple complex internal systems providing our reports. We wanted to get all of our reporting into one place. This turned out not to be feasible.

It was highly complex. They had to connect to the APIs of various systems which was beyond the ability of a layperson to do. Clearly, it was complex for their team given that we only got two of our four promised systems implemented over more than six months. And those took more than two months each.

We worked with the vendor on implementation. We were constantly told that the development team was behind on getting even simple tools like Google Analytics and Omniture implemented. I do not know how much this is a reflection on their entire team, or maybe just specific to our account rep.

It was zero. We paid for a year's contract and made no money from its use.

I can't be specific, but it was well into five figures. It also took up a significant portion of my time, which I value as well.

Domo was really the first tool we looked at because of our complicated internal systems. It turned out that they over-promised and under-delivered.

What other advice do I have?

I've dealt with worse companies that take the money and run. Domo continued to stay involved, it just never got to where they said we were going. The tool has some potential, but - as of two years ago - it was still a long way from fulfilling on the promise.

If you have a very simple implementation and a competent account rep, Domo might work for you - although I think it's an overpriced option to handle that. For our purposes, it proved much more feasible to have an Analytics/JavaScript guru customize GA & Omniture to get multiple data points into the same system.

it_user434556 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user434556SEO Manager at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees

I'm sorry to hear about your experience! I currently work at Domo in the marketing department, and seeing data from Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Ahrefs, and Moz is something I rely on everyday. I can understand how not getting access to those features can be frustrating if that's what you're expecting. Not sure when you signed up, but I would encourage you to take another look...Connecting to those resources is pretty easy (If I can do it myself...most people can) and there are a lot of pre-made apps that are just press & play now. You'll need someone who knows SQL for the intense data queries, but it's really nice being able to import and combine the data the way you want.

Download our free Domo Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: October 2022