Citrix Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix Gateway is the #1 ranked solution in top Universal Access Gateways, #2 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools, and #7 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give Citrix Gateway an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Citrix Gateway is most commonly compared to Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client: Citrix Gateway vs Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Citrix Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
What is Citrix Gateway?

Citrix Gateway is a customer-managed solution that can be deployed on premises or on any public cloud, such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform. Citrix Gateway provides users with secure access and single sign-on to all the virtual, SaaS and web applications they need to be productive.

Citrix Gateway was previously known as Citrix NetScaler Unified Gateway.

Citrix Gateway Customers

Aeronamic, Avianca, Bechtel Corporation, Betfair UK, Catholic University Leuven (K.U. Leuven), Centene Corporation, Cerner, Charityshare, City of High Point, Clark Builders

Citrix Gateway Video

Archived Citrix Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

COE Manager - Intelligent Process Automation at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It is easy to use, but needs better automation

What is most valuable?

Its ease of use and how everybody can easily work through it are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

We are currently looking at automation. It would be good if there is some way to automate it in a fast way. It should be easy to automate. It also has some security issues.

I have been using Citrix Gateway for five years.

Their technical support is good.

It is medium in terms of complexity.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Citrix Gateway a seven out of ten. There are a couple of features that could be improved. These features are available in other solutions, such as VMware.

Principal IT Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
An easy-to-use solution for building basic configurations

What is most valuable?

It's easy to build basic configurations.

It's easy to use for both unmanaged and managed clients. It's very simple, all you need is a browser.

What needs improvement?

We have experienced issues relating to multi-factor authentication.

I have been using this solution for more than ten years.

Citrix Gateway is both stable and scalable. You could have anywhere from 50 to 50,000 people using it.

The technical support is very responsive and fast.

The initial setup was very straightforward. You can get it up and running within four hours.

I believe the pricing is comparable to SaaS.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Citrix Gateway a rating of nine.

AVP at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
A secure and stable solution for virtual desktop infrastructure, but the pricing could be reduced and technical support could be better
  • "The most valuable feature is that it is secure."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for a virtual desktop infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is secure.

What needs improvement?

The price could be reduced because it is slightly more costly than others available in the market.

Technical support could be improved.

They could do something more with the dashboard.

I have been using Citrix Gateway for approximately six years.

Citrix Gateway is stable and we have not experienced any issues.

It's a scalable product.

Technical support is not great. There is no proactive support for patches that have been released. For example, there are no mailers to advise you that there are new patches available.

There is no direct communication and there doesn't seem to be any focus on the customer.

Pricing is very high if you do a comparison with what is available in the market. It ends up being very expensive.

Apart from licensing, there are additional fees for support and partnerships.

What other advice do I have?

For customers who are concerned with security and would want to have virtual machines in their environment, I recommend this solution. Otherwise, this product is costly.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Gary James - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at NovoLux Networks
Great performance, extremely stable, and scalable
  • "Just creating that gateway to the storefront for Citrix is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us."
  • "It's extremely complicated and it's not intuitive. The solution requires a lot of training to get going on it."

What is our primary use case?

Our biggest, most consistent problem was renewing certificates. Otherwise, it works like it isn't even there. It's just a workhorse.

What is most valuable?

I'm pretty well settled on Citrix. They have the highest performing application on the planet, as far as I know.

What needs improvement?

It's extremely complicated and it's not intuitive. The solution requires a lot of training to get going on it. I'm not sure that that's necessarily a critique on it. It may be more of a critique on me and my abilities with it, however, it isn't necessarily straightforward. It could stand for some improvement in that sense.

If there were wizards for standard deployments, that might be nice. If there were prompts for situations like trying to deploy one virtual server behind one virtual storefront where the how-to was explained, that would be great. Other than that, you have to get really deep in the gears and figure out which gear you need to move and what lever you've got to pull. It's complex.

I've used the solution as recently as three to six months ago. I have been using the solution off and on in one shape or form for probably eight years.

The solution is rock solid. The only problem I ever had with stability on any consistent basis was replacing certificates on a yearly or semi-yearly basis. Otherwise, it is great and extremely reliable.

The solution has a great ability to scale. That's not a problem at all on the solution.

Their help desk is reasonably good. However, without wizards, I can spend two hours on a technical support call just trying to figure out how to set something up. That's not a slight on their level of service; however, if the solution made a few design tweaks, it would mean I could spend less time calling them for assistance.

The initial setup was complex; it was not straightforward.

The deployment takes about one to two hours.

It's a very feature-rich device. You have to dial into the specifics of what you want to use. It's like a Swiss army knife. It's got a thousand different uses and you only have one or two that you want to use it for. You have figure out just how to set up for those one or two uses.

What other advice do I have?

I have a good deal of experience with Citrix. They're sitting on top of the heap as far as I can tell. It's not just clout and name recognition, but the actual product and actual performance delivery are stellar. They've got it set far as I know.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution a solid nine out of ten. It's a pain to set up, however, once you've got that sorted, it's an extremely solid product.

Team Lead, Infrastructure & Technology at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Session monitoring is helpful, and the security and authentication features are good

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security and authentication.

The session monitoring capability is good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improved logging because it doesn't keep much information for the session monitoring or historical sessions.

We have not had any trouble with stability, aside from our setup issues.

We have had no issues with scalability.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

The initial setup is quite straightforward because we have been using it for some time. We did experience some setup issues, which were mostly related to misconfiguration.

The time for deployment is perhaps a week or less.

We have an in-house team that handles deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution I would recommend.

Overall, this is a good solution that is stable, but I would like to see improvements to the logging capability.

Surya Kant Pasayat - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager Network Engineering at AppViewX
Runs seamlessly and has good stability
  • "What I find most valuable about this solution, is that it runs seamlessly."
  • "I would like to see better configuration of repairs and downloading certification."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to give solutions for automating subject data. We provide automation solutions and build the APAs around Citrix Netscaler.

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable about this solution is that it runs seamlessly. It is very streamlined.

What needs improvement?

Areas that should be improved are the configuration of profiles and uploading and downloading of our certificates.

I have been using Citrix NetScaler Unified Gateway for around two years now.

The previous version was very stable and so far I haven't had any bugs or issues with the newer version.

The version we're currently using isn't as scalable as the previous one.

I haven't used their technical support yet.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward. After reading the documents provided, I was able to do everything myself.

We haven't looked at other solutions, because our client preferred Citrix NetScaler Unified Gateway, so we had to comply with that.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I will rate this solution an eight. In the next version, I would like to see better configuration of repairs and downloading certification. Better exposure would also be a plus.

Letsogile-Baloi - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at IMART OFFICE CONSULTANTS
Reseller
Stable solution for uninterrupted long-term use
  • "It's a stable solution while it's running. We don't have to work on it a lot. There are not many bugs, so it's easy to use if you deploy successfully. You can be sure of an uninterrupted solution for quite a long time. Citrix is a good product."
  • "The major issue is price. I would also like them to make other aspects more accessible."

What is our primary use case?

We are working on a software-defined network spanning Botswana, South Africa, Namibia and Zambia. We looking for a solution that promise to extend the benefits of virtualization into the core of our networking infrastructure

How has it helped my organization?

So far the DevOps team has been able to deliver apps with a consistent feel. This is still an internal project but we are pretty much excited with way it is going

What is most valuable?

It's a stable solution while it's running. We don't have to work on it a lot. There are not many bugs, so it's easy to use if you deploy successfully. You can be sure of an uninterrupted solution for quite a long time. Citrix is a good product. scales easily and works with azure and aws

What needs improvement?

Cost. Citrix costs more and you still need to have Microsoft Remote Desktop below it.

We've been using this solution for about four years.

There are no glitches or bugs, as long as you get the initial installation right without any problems. Then you can be sure of a solution that runs without much need of hands-on supervision.

Citrix solutions are easily scalable, considering that they run on top of the Microsoft platform.

We run it in at most 15-person offices, but we're starting to see what happens if we run it through three data centers, two of which are outside the country. That's what we will be working on next month. We are in plans of deploying the solution to a greater number of users.

The Citrix customer support is good. You should not have any problems from Citrix.

The initial setup is straightforward. A mid-level system integrator can deploy the solution.

Usually, with Citrix the issue is the pricing, especially for the African region. We believe it's really expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Get access from a Citrix partner, because you are sure of support from them. Also, make sure that the partner you partner with has the right skills to actually deploy the solution.

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

Oliver Rodrigues - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Security Planning at Ooredoo Kuwait
Reseller
Offers good web app support but the dashboard should be more clear in reporting issues
  • "The features that we have found most valuable are the web app support and VPN."
  • "The dashboard or interface should be more clear in reporting issues. Integration with other applications should be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Citrix NetScaler as a WAF gateway to protect web applications, with Multi-tenancy. We have also enabled SSLVPN ( Remote access ) and Mobile Device management on the same solution.

What is most valuable?

The features that we have found most valuable are the web app support and VPN.

What needs improvement?

Citrix NetScaler is something that connects the deployment. To improve:

• The interface should be more user-friendly.
  • Integration with other applications must improve.
  • They should provide training videos.
  • The product needs to have a good dashboard.

It's too early to say how the product can improve because I just implemented it.

I would rate the stability of Citrix Netscaler an eight out of 10.

I would rate the scalability of Citrix Netscaler an eight out of 10.

We want Citrix to do their support level at a higher standard. They should provide some training videos for us.

We used Barracuda. We switched from Barracuda because Citrix offered better features and scalability.

The initial setup was complex to install. It took almost three weeks.

We used a reseller. Our experience with them was not bad. It was standard and issue-free.

The ROI will depend on the business model.

We have an annual license.

We also evaluated F5 and Barracuda WAF.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to other people to implement this product. Use Citrix Netscaler. It is 100%. Otherwise, I would give only a five or six out of 10 for the product.

Senior Specialist for IT Infrastructure Solutions at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates well with other solutions, is easy to implement, and has a great unified gateway

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for load balancing.

What is most valuable?

The unified gateway and the active gateway, particularly used for desktop load balancing for web servers are the most valuable.

The solution easily integrates with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be a bit pricey.

I've been using the solution for seven or eight years.

The stability of the solution is perfect.

Technical support is okay.

The initial installation is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

We use public and private cloud deployment models.

For the use cases we have, the solution is perfect.

It's a very mature product, it is working very nicely and it's very well established. I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Citrix Pre Sales at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A stable, scalable solution with excellent node balancing

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the control of application delivery.

What is most valuable?

All of the features are quite valuable, including the node balancing and gateway.

What needs improvement?

The VPN needs to be improved. In comparison to Cisco, the solution doesn't have as many features.

Technical support needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is very stable. If I were to rate it out of ten, I would give stability a nine.

Scalability is okay. Out of ten, I would rate it at seven.

Technical support is not good. I would rate them five out of ten.

The initial setup is very complex.

You need the assistance of a consultant to implement the solution properly.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

If you compare the solution to Fortinet, Citrix Unified Gateway is good. If you compare the solution to Cisco, no, it's not so good.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

RuiLopes - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at Vxnet
Has the ability to be used in all types of environments, on-premise, cloud, or hybrid deployments
  • "The initial setup is simple. Normally with all setups, it's not very complicated. It really depends on the customer."
  • "I'd like to see support for reverse proxy and more security features."

How has it helped my organization?

I work for a Citrix Partner, so Citrix Netscaler (now ADC) is one the pillars for our sollutions. we propose and implement for our customers. For them, security is the main gain as well as service, availability, flexibility for moving the workloads within different environments, and using different hybrids.
Aside the funtionality and features, it's simple and very user-friendly to deploy and maintain.

What is most valuable?

I've found the security features like web application firewall, the tri-scale capability  as well  the portability. You can have the NetScaler platform in different formats, you can have it as regular physical appliance, virtual appliance, on a container, multi-tenant appliances, and even on bare metal. there are, of course, some minor diferences related to the platform the physical resources you're using, but the code and funtionality is basically the same. it gives you a lot of flexibility.

What needs improvement?

The solution is already very feature rich, but there are also points for improvement.
Fortunatelly, at least so far and with the projects we've been involved, Citrix Support and engineering teams are very responsive and very willing to align with customer specific requests to develop new functionality and enrich the solution.

For the next releases, i'm expecting (even) more focus on visibility and analytics.

I've been using the solution for 12 years.

it is very stable. and even the upgrade processes are very strainghforward.

It's very scalable. You have the tri-scaler capaability with which you can use and have up to 32 NetScaler ADC nodes.

It's software, it has its bugs, it's normal. The support has been very helpful. The engineering team is also responsive. From time to time we find a new bug and there's a good response from the support and the engineering team. They tend to solve it for instance, with a new version or by internally developing a specific patch.

We normally try to evaluate other options depending on the customers use case and objectives, but somehow we end up sticking with Citrix ADC since with we've started working with it.

Basic setup to have a ADC up and running is very simple, but integrating really depends on the customer environment and objectives.
We have customers that use it for everything, that can have more complexity so it depends on the environment.

I would say that generally, it's not complicated. You don't have to learn a specific language, or go very deep on a CLI.  It's not a big deal.

As mentioned before, setup is fairly simple and documented on the Citrix eDocs.
there's a lot of information and how-to articles which facilitates all the setup.

The new pooled licensing model also can be very useful in hybrid or wide deployments.

yes, the major players on the ADC and remote access space.

What other advice do I have?

You don't have a very steep learning curve as you do with other vendors. In terms of manageability, I think it's easy, and there's also available some tools like Citrix ADM which facilitates all the operation.

I would definitely recommend this solution.  It's very straightforward and easy to use.
can be used in a lot os use cases, from the pure traffic management, secure remote access to protecting critical web sites.

There's also a wide and participative community using the solution, so the use case and issue you face probably is already "googlable".

I would give this solution a nine out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Citrix Partner.
Security Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Helpful load balancing and verification features, but scalability and technical support need improvement
  • "Most of our customers are using the load balancing feature and also the verification feature is good as well, in my experience."
  • "If the solution had a more advanced DNS, it would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution for our customers.

What is most valuable?

Most of our customers are using the load balancing feature and the verification feature is good as well, in my experience.

What needs improvement?

The two-factor authentication solution needs improvement. It needs a multi-factor authentification.

Training videos would be helpful, and they're transitioning to a new portal, as far as I know. So the portal maybe has now improvements and they will provide for a larger community for the users and retailers. This will provide a more improved solution.

A forward proxy in the next release would be good, I think. If the solution had a more advanced DNS, it would be an improvement.

I've been using the solution for three years.

Stability is fine, depending on what features you are using.

Scalability is not good because they didn't change the solution. If you want to scale the product you have to install more and more appliances, and their solution technology is not good against the competition. We have less than ten thousand users.

The technical support is fine. It's not the best, but fine.

We are a reseller company, so we resell to our customers the product and we integrate it with other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the product is good, but we prefer F5's networks against Citrix.

I would rate this solution as six out of ten.

it_user924705 - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Security Officer at Zamil
Runs smoothly and offers good features for applications
  • "We haven't received any complaints or performance issues so far."
  • "The load balancing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use NetScaler for the server and also Zen app.

How has it helped my organization?

The main challenge that we were facing is regarding the net application which does not work without this solution. We replaced NetScaler with the F5 solution.

What is most valuable?

I cannot say that now because it's just been six months. Nonetheless, we haven't received any complaints or performance issues so far.

What needs improvement?

The load balancing could be improved. Also, remote users should be able to carry connections to our centralized server and access applications remotely.

We've been using this solution for around six months.

Stability is good I'd say. We did not face any issues this far; it's been running smoothly. We have a free application, which gives us up to 365 applications, so that comes to around 5000 users.

We were using F5 LTM (Local Traffic Manager) before. They are the market leader. We were using that, but we replaced it with the NetScaler.

The initial setup was very easy and we were able to fully deploy it, test it, and have all the applications migrated within a week. So, there's no major issue there.

The deployment strategy is very simple. We created just the domain IP. During migration, we reconfigured the replica of the current network solution, and we made the same verification in the NetScaler with the domain IP address. After the migration, we just stopped the F5 solution and enabled it on the NetScaler. So, the whole migration does not take even one minute of downtime.

We involved a consultant and they were very experienced.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this as ten out of ten because I don't see any issue and it is cheaper than F5. We are investing and getting additional features, such as features for applications. We get added value on that, which is good. We are getting everything we need.

it_user613110 - PeerSpot reviewer
Our customers can provide access to their applications and data, but the data won’t leave their data centers

What is most valuable?

• Netscaler Gateway
  • Netscaler AAA
  • Netscaler Content Switching/Load Balancing
  • Central Application Delivery Controller with a huge feature set based on the latest requirements

How has it helped my organization?

We implement these solutions at many customer sites. This directly affects the productivity and gives the customer a very flexible solution.

The customers have the possibility to provide access to their applications and data, but the data itself won’t leave their data centers.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything at the moment.

We have been using NetScaler for five years.

We sometimes had issues after updates.

I would give technical support a rating of 10 out of 10.

We did not use a previous solution.

You need a very good concept and you have to do the conceptual work before you start implementing. Depending on the concept, the setup could be straightforward.

You have to do some hard work in order to get the suitable licenses.

We looked at VMware View in some projects.

What other advice do I have?

All Citrix products are very flexible and give you a huge amount of possibilities. From a consulting perspective, I recommend allocating enough take time for project planning.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Citrix Gold Partner and Specialist in Networking and Virtualization product lines.