IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior Cybersecurity Solution Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well with other security solutions
  • "It can integrate very well with DAST solutions. So both of them are combined into an integrated solution for customers running application security."
  • "I expect application security vendors to cover all aspects of application security, including SAST, DAST, and even mobile application security testing. And it would be much better if they provided an on-premises and cloud option for all these main application security features."

What is our primary use case?

Checkmarx is used only for static application security testing (SAST), and it can integrate very well with DAST solutions. So both of them are combined into an integrated solution for customers running application security.

What needs improvement?

I expect application security vendors to cover all aspects of application security, including SAST, DAST, and even mobile application security testing. And it would be much better if they provided an on-premises and cloud option for all these main application security features. So most of my customers would love to have consolidated vendors who cover all application security to lower operational overhead.

I'm a solution architect, not an end-user. I'm selling Checkmarx. This is the first year I've done business with Checkmarx. In the past five years, I worked a lot with Fortify and Micro Focus. I currently have two customers running Checkmarx, and one more is evaluating the product.

Setting up Checkmarx should be relatively straightforward. It takes a little more time for the DevOps team to enable everything, but overall deployment should take less than a week, including preparation and implementation.
Checkmarx
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Checkmarx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Most of my customers opted for a perpetual license. They prefer to pay the highest amount upfront for the perpetual license and then pay for additional support annually.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Checkmarx eight out of 10. Until I get more extensive feedback from clients, I would rate it an eight.

Techincal Lead of Developers at a government with 10,001+ employees
Intuitive, with good dashboards and metrics but needs more third-party integration

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Checkmarx for accreditation, checking for vulnerabilities, and identifying areas in the code to fix some of the NIST 800 security controls.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it actually identifies the different criteria you can set to meet whatever standards you're trying to get your system accredited for. It's also pretty intuitive and has a lot of good dashboards and metrics.

What needs improvement?

Checkmarx could be improved with more integration with third-party software.

I've been using Checkmarx for about six months.

We've had no issues with Checkmarx's stability.

I thought Checkmarx was pretty scalable.

My experience with Checkmarx's technical support has been very positive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I found the setup pretty straightforward, though it took several days because the system engineers had to go through some different configuration settings to get it done.

We worked with Checkmarx when we ran into issues, and they were pretty responsive.

What other advice do I have?

Checkmarx isn't accredited by the US government for DOD networks, so we've been forced to remove it from the network. I'd rate Checkmarx as seven out of ten.

Checkmarx
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Samuel Baguma - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Security Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Detailed reporting assists in repairing problems, but there are a lot of false positives
  • "The reports are very good because they include details on the code level, and make suggestions about how to fix the problems."
  • "You can't use it in the continuous delivery pipeline because the scanning takes too much time."

What is our primary use case?

When I had an issue that was causing trouble in my code, I would upload it to Checkmarx to perform static code analysis. I would then study the reports.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product improved the stability of my code that went into production.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the scanning.

What needs improvement?

You can't use it in the continuous delivery pipeline because the scanning takes too much time. Better integration with the CD pipeline would be helpful.

It reports a lot of false positives so you have to discriminate and take ones that are rated at either a one or a two. The lower-rated problems need to be discarded.

I used Checkmarx for about six months at my previous place of employment. I stopped using it about six months ago.

We had perhaps 100 users at my previous job.

I was not in contact with technical support.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Le Viet - PeerSpot reviewer
Security Consultant at VNCS
Minimal configuration, simple setup, and useful user interface

What is our primary use case?

Checkmarx is used for application security, we can detect the stability and other details on how to fix issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Checkmarx is the user interface, it is very easy to use. We do not need to configure anything, we only have to scan to see the results.

What needs improvement?

Checkmarx could improve the speed of the scans.

I have been using Checkmarx for approximately half a year.

We have five people in our company that uses Checkmarx, we do not plan to increase usage.

I have used the support from Checkmarx.

I have not used another before Checkmarx.

The initial setup of Checkmarx was very easy. The process took approximately one hour. We only need to provide information.

We have five people that are supporting Checkmarx in our company.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is one of the easiest solutions I have used. We have professional services set it up for us but the scans are not enough for us.

I rate Checkmarx an eight out of ten.

AVP, aPaaS Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reasonably price, high performance, and simple installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using Checkmarx for application code scanning, such as scanning for different leverages in the application code.

What is most valuable?

The solution has good performance, it is able to compute in 10 to 15 minutes.

What needs improvement?

Checkmarx could improve the REST APIs by including automation.

I have been using Checkmarx for approximately one year.

Checkmarx is stable.

The scalability of Checkmarx is good, we can onboard easily.

We have approximately 200 people in my organization using this solution.

I have not contacted technical support. We have not required it.

I have used SonarQube previously.

The installation is straightforward and takes approximately 40 minutes.

I am able to do the implementation myself.

We have administrators and engineers that support and maintain the solution.

We have purchased an annual license to use this solution. The price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Checkmarx a nine out of ten.

Director and Co-Founder at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Fits our requirements, scales easily, and is easy to use
  • "It is very useful because it fits our requirements. It is also easy to use. It is not complex, and we are satisfied with the results."
  • "Its pricing model can be improved. Sometimes, it is a little complex to understand its pricing model."

What is most valuable?

It is very useful because it fits our requirements. It is also easy to use. It is not complex, and we are satisfied with the results.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing model can be improved. Sometimes, it is a little complex to understand its pricing model.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It is pretty stable.

It has the capability to scale very easily. It is not a problem.

Their support is good. It has a good webpage with a lot of details.

It is very easy to set up. It takes a couple of days. It is not an issue.

It is not expensive, but sometimes, their pricing model or licensing model is not very clear. There are similar variables, such as projects or developers, and sometimes, it is a little bit confusing.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. I would rate Checkmarx a nine out of 10.

Procurement Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible features, stable, but more supported languages needed

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for scanning the code for security.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is it is flexible.

What needs improvement?

The integration could improve by including, for example, DevSecOps.

In an upcoming release, they could improve by adding support for more languages.

I have been using the solution for two years.

I have found the solution to be stable.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have approximately 4000 using the solution in my organization and they are mostly engineers.

The technical support we have experience was good but they could be faster.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Checkmarx a six out of ten.

Senior Software Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Simple to use interface, but it needs to have support for more languages

What is our primary use case?

We use Checkmarx for scanning our source code.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the simple user interface.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the rate of false positives reduced.

Checkmarx needs support for more languages, including COBOL.

The stability is fine.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend and I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Download our free Checkmarx Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022