Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Bitbucket OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Bitbucket is #2 ranked solution in top Version Control tools. PeerSpot users give Bitbucket an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Bitbucket is most commonly compared to Bitbucket Server: Bitbucket vs Bitbucket Server. Bitbucket is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Version Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Bitbucket?

Bitbucket is a team-oriented Git-based code hosting and collaboration solution. The best-in-class Jira and Trello integrations in Bitbucket are meant to bring the entire software team together to complete a project. Bitbucket gives your team a single location to collaborate on code from concept to cloud deployment, to generate quality code through automated testing, and to deploy code with confidence.

There are three deployment options for Bitbucket:

1. Bitbucket Cloud is a web-based version of Bitbucket that is hosted on Atlassian's servers and accessible via a URL. Pipelines, an exclusive built-in CI/CD tool in Bitbucket Cloud, allows you to create, test, and deploy directly from Bitbucket.

2. Bitbucket Server is installed on your computer and runs in your environment. Bamboo, our robust CI/CD platform, has strong connections with Bitbucket Server, allowing you to totally automate your workflow. The license is unlimited.

3. Bitbucket Data Center appears to users as a single instance of Bitbucket Server, but it is actually hosted on a cluster of servers in your environment.
  4. This has some advantages over Bitbucket Server:

• Availability: If one cluster node fails, the remaining cluster node(s) can continue to service requests, resulting in little or no downtime for customers.
  • Performance at scale: A cluster of numerous Bitbucket Server-running machines can manage more traffic than a single system.
  • Mirroring: For distributed teams working with large repositories, smart mirroring can increase Git clone performance.

Bitbucket Features

Bitbucket has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Workflow control: This helps you to enforce a project or team workflow.
  • Cooperation: Pull requests with inline commentary for code review cooperation.
  • Customization: If you don't find what you're looking for in our Marketplace, you can use our full Rest API to create unique features for your workflow.
  • Jira and Trello integration: Bring order to the chaos and keep the entire software company informed. Access to Jira issues and Trello cards' branches, build status, commits, and status.
  • Code collaboration: From concept to cloud, code collaboration is a must. Create a merging checklist with designated approvers and check for passing builds before transitioning Jira issues based on pull request status.
  • Consistent delivery: With built-in continuous delivery, you can build and test automatically. Build, test, and deploy with Bitbucket Pipelines, our integrated CI/CD solution. Benefit from code-based configuration and quick feedback loops.
  • Simple deployment: Keep track of your deployments, preview them, and confidently promote them.
  • Code security: You can rest easy knowing your code is safe on the cloud, and you can use checks to prevent errors from occurring.

Reviews from Real Users

Bitbucket stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its robust traceability and user-friendly interface. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

One PeerSpot reviewer, a Developer III at an Information Technology at a energy/utilities company, writes, “Bitbucket has improved our organization because it has simplified and streamlined our developer communication code and review process. It is also much more visual.” He adds, “Bitbucket's traceability is great. Being able to see pool requests is just a great thing for collaboration.”

Kajal P., Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company, notes, “The solution is easy to use. If I need to check out my latest code or I need to send my local code to the depositories it is simple. Overall it has been a good experience from my side using this solution."

Bitbucket Customers

Oscar Insurance, Fugro Roames, Splunk, Rakuten, Red Giant, Met Office, Trulia, Onfido, TriNet, Orbitz Worldwide, Ames Research Center, Sotheby's

Bitbucket Video

Bitbucket Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Bitbucket pricing:
  • "We have approximately 40 licenses for Bitbucket."
  • "I understand Bitbucket's cost is on the higher side."
  • Bitbucket Reviews

Developer III, Information Technology at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Ability to see pool requests is great for collaboration; great traceability
    • "Bitbucket is definitely a tool to consider if somebody is still on CVS. It is a great tool and well integrated with Bamboo."
    • "Sometimes we struggle with searching on repositories. It is a bit challenging sometimes to pinpoint the code or repositories when just filtering by repositories."

What is our primary use case?

Bitbucket is our source code repository. We use it as our source code reaction control system and for pool requests and engineer builds. It is integrated with Bamboo, which uses a CI CD pipeline to release our code to different environments.

How has it helped my organization?

Bitbucket has improved our organization because it has simplified and streamlined our developer communication code and review process. It is also much more visual.

We have also integrated it with Slack. Whenever we do a full request, we get information comments in a pool request through Slack on our team channels. It's much easier to go to Bamboo and see if this code was released. This is particularly important if the code troubleshoots production-related issues.

Bitbucket's traceability is great. Being able to see pool requests is just a great thing for collaboration.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we struggle with searching on repositories. It is a bit challenging sometimes to pinpoint the code or repositories when just filtering by repositories. That search capability could be improved to become more intuitive. It should allow for, for example, searching for specific source files or repositories or searching the code inside the source files. That kind of flexibility would be helpful.

Of course, making the tool free would be great as well. Its cost is probably why it is not used very much in smaller companies.

I have been using Bitbucket for a year and a half.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, Amazon, IBM and others in Version Control. Updated: September 2022.
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Bitbucket is great when it comes to stability. However, we do see some challenges with Bamboo on that front. Sometimes Bamboo agents get stuck and take longer to process and build requests and releases.

I haven't experienced any issues with scalability. For five to 10 applications, it works great.

In our organization, some 200 people are using this solution. Most of them are developers. The product is being extensively used in the organization at the moment.

I have not had any contact with Bitbucket's technical support.

We are using Bamboo and Bitbucket simultaneously right now. Before Bitbucket, we were using CVS.

We made the switch over to Bitbucket as part of a company-wide migration to the cloud. CVS can only be deployed on-premise while Bitbucket is on the cloud. Also, the code review process for request concepts and the team collaboration Bitbucket facilitates makes it much more friendly and modern.

I was not part of the initial implementation team. We have a DevOps team in our company, so they set it up and once it was ready, it was rolled out to the development teams with a ready-to-use config. What we did, as far as deployment goes, is move our code from a legacy version control system to a new version control system. That experience was straightforward for me as a developer.

The initial setup was relatively fast. It took us about three days to migrate a small-to-medium-sized application from the legacy version control system to Bitbucket, for example.

Unfortunately, I'm not privy to this information.

What other advice do I have?

Bitbucket is definitely a tool to consider if somebody is still on CVS. It is a great tool and well integrated with Bamboo. Both Bitbucket and Bamboo are made by the same company, and the latter is there to connect the dots between the code and releases in production.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Kajal Panwar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Overall easy to use, simple code sending, but more documentation needed
    • "The solution is easy to use. If I need to check out my latest code or I need to send my local code to the depositories it is simple. Overall it is has been a good experience from my side using this solution."
    • "One of the areas the solution could improve on is when there is a merging conflict it is quite confusing. When I am having a merging conflict I get stuck on the page, then I need to search how to handle the particular problem. For example, finding what the commands are which can be used."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Bitbucket for the code checking and tracking of our project depositories which we have locally. This includes code changes in software development.

How has it helped my organization?

Bitbucket has helped our company stay current with our updated code daily.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use. If I need to check out my latest code or I need to send my local code to the depositories it is simple. Overall it is has been a good experience from my side using this solution.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas the solution could improve on is when there is a merging conflict it is quite confusing. When I am having a merging conflict I get stuck on the page, then I need to search how to handle the particular problem. For example, finding what the commands are which can be used.

I might not have the proper knowledge of it. However, the merging processes can be difficult and could be made easier. Overall there should be better documentation available. When I first started out it would have been very helpful because I had to search to find out how to use the solution.

In an upcoming release, the solution could improve the collaboration. Additionally, there should be some startup tool or features for whenever we have local changes or updates it will prevent us from submitting any change unless they have been removed locally. For example,
    there should be some sort of command tool that can remove my local code first and then checking it by taking code from the latest one to resolve it.

I have been using Bitbucket within the last 12 months.

The stability of the solution is good. However, there have been times I had to close the program down and restart it.

The solution is scalable and it is not very difficult to do.

We have approximately 10 people using this solution in my organization which includes various teams, such as the automation department.

We use this solution every day and frequently, we plan to continue using it in the future.

I have used a previous version that was not user-friendly. Additionally, I have used GitHub.

We have one technician that does the maintenance of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Bitbucket a seven out of ten.

September 2022
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Syed Fahad Anwar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal System Developer at HHRC
    • "Bitbucket is a standard source code repository with all the features you would expect. It supports Git and SVN. It's an extensive tool that provides us with merging, branching, and change management capabilities. You can compare the changes with the current and previous versions."
    • "Bitbucket's Initial setup is a little complicated because you need to install and configure the solution. It can take one or two days to deploy Bitbucket. If you have a high workload, you can deploy it on multiple server farms as needed"

What is our primary use case?

We use Bitbucket as a repository for our sensitive data, like source code and any other sensitive information that requires change and version tracking. We have eight to 10 users currently accessing Bitbucket.

What is most valuable?

Bitbucket is a standard source code repository with all the features you would expect. It supports Git and SVN. It's an extensive tool that provides us with merging, branching, and change management capabilities. You can compare the changes with the current and previous versions.

We have been using Bitbucket for four or five years.

Bitbucket is highly stable.

You can scale Bitbucket vertically or horizontally.

I rate Bitbucket support eight out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We used Team Foundation Server and Microsoft SourceSafe.

Bitbucket's Initial setup is a little complicated because you need to install  and configure the solution. It can take one or two days to deploy Bitbucket. If you have a high workload, you can deploy it on multiple server farms as needed.

The vendor is maintaining Bitbucket. We have one staff member responsible for the configuration, but we consult the vendor for patching and upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

I rate BitBucket eight out of 10. Bitbucket is an excellent product. Atlassian will move to the cloud, so the on-prem version may be phased out. You have to be careful when choosing this product. There will be a cloud version available, so it's better if you go with the cloud version of Bitbucket.

Yantao Zhao - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Integration Engineer at Thales
    Integrates well, scalable, and good support

What is our primary use case?

Bitbucket can be deployed on the cloud or on-premise.

We use Bitbucket to set up an end-to-end integration system.

What is most valuable?

We use Bitbucket for Jira, Confluence, and Jenkins and we have an automation pipeline. Whenever the coaching is done in Bitbucket we run an automation pipeline from the build, create installations, and tests all in one pipeline. It is done automatically.

What needs improvement?

Bitbucket could improve its security. For example, the user access security could improve.

I have been using Bitbucket for approximately six years.

Bitbucket is stable. However, every one or two months it crashes, it depends on the usage. When Jira is down after a long weekend Bitbucket might not be working. There could be other reasons it is not working and not necessarily the solution's fault.

The scalability of Bitbucket is good.

We have a lot of developers working and we are moving the solution locally to the cloud next year. We plan to increase the usage of the solution.

I rate the support from Bitbucket a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have used CVS previously.

The initial setup of Bitbucket can be complex. It depends on what you are using it for. For example, when I was using Jenkins I had to set up a lot of scripts to link all the tasks together for it to run automatically.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Bitbucket an eight out of ten.

Julian Lewis - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior application performance monitoring and alerting specialist at a aerospace/defense firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It's a good solution for storing code, but the usability and integration could be better
    • "Bitbucket works fine for what I'm doing. It's slightly different from GitHub, but it's a good tool for storing code."
    • "Bitbucket's usability and integration with other tools could be improved somewhat. My other issue is that Bitbucket, GitHub, GitLab, and all the other ones use slightly different jargon for the same things. They should come up with a standard language for all these tools."

What is our primary use case?

I'm mainly using Bitbucket as a code repository for storing the configurations and templates of my monitoring tools. We have them stored locally, and Bitbucket manages changes and builds, so we have a means of rolling back if there are any issues.

There are about 10 to 15 users in the company at the moment. They want to expand usage, but there's still little uptake. It's an old-fashioned, traditional IT  place that they work in.

What is most valuable?

Bitbucket works fine for what I'm doing. It's slightly different from GitHub, but it's a good tool for storing code.

What needs improvement?

Bitbucket's usability and integration with other tools could be improved somewhat. My other issue is that Bitbucket, GitHub, GitLab, and all the other ones use slightly different jargon for the same things. They should come up with a standard language for all these tools.

I have been using Bitbucket off and on for about five or six years.

BitBucket is stable.

BitBucket seems scalable, but we haven't used it at scale, so I wouldn't know.

Setting up BitBucket is fairly straightforward. It has its own APIs, and it's easy to access. Everything is in the cloud.

I believe it's a monthly license subscription, but you get a discount for paying by the year, so I'd recommend that.

What other advice do I have?

I rate BitBucket seven out of 10. If you're considering BitBucket, do your research and make sure it's the product for you. There are several options out there.

Program Manager
    Simple setup and reliable
    • "The setup of Bitbucket is simple."
    • "Bitbucket could improve pipeline building and deployment. Our deployments are not using the Bitbucket. Deployments we are going through Azure DevOps, but the integration is happening in Bitbucket."

What is our primary use case?

We predominately use Bitbucket for continuous integration, as a repository for our code, and for various departments, such as analytics, web, and mobile.

What needs improvement?

The repository and the access levels could improve.

I have used Bitbucket for approximately four years.

We have not had any issues with day-to-day usage of Bitbucket since we started using it.

We have not scaled Bitbucket that much to know the full range, but for what we use it for it has been good.

We have 10 to 20 users using this solution in our organization.

I have not needed to use the support team from Bitbucket.

The setup of Bitbucket is simple.

We have approximately 40 licenses for Bitbucket.

We did a benchmark before we chose our continuous integration environment. We found Bitbucket is the right tool for us at the start-up level. We conducted tests for Git, GitLab, and other solutions, but the decision we made was Bitbucket.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Bitbucket an eight out of ten.

ElioBonazzi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Database Administrator at Services Australia
    Seamless, integrated, and easy to use

What is most valuable?

Bitbucket's best feature is a Git client called SourceTree, which allows you to seamlessly integrate on-premise with on-cloud and mix and match repositories on your own server.

I've been using Bitbucket for four or five years.

Bitbucket's stability isn't flawless. It has crashed on me occasionally, but I haven't yet lost anything after a crash. I believe the client is written in C or C++ and should possibly be subject to a more rigorous testing procedure.

The initial setup is very simple - you use the web interface to create a repository, then receive a link and use it in your SourceTree client, and then you're connected. This is why I prefer Bitbucket to GitLab, because it's totally integrated and works with Jira, so everything is inside the same realm.

What other advice do I have?

Bitbucket lets me create new projects in a few clicks and check out files in a seamless and integrated manner. It's also great for Linux users, including SourceTree running on Ubuntu, and for organizations that use Jira heavily. I would rate Bitbucket as eight out of ten.

Senior Project Manager at Wipro Limited
    Excellent web interface and good integration with Atlassian products

What is most valuable?

Bitbucket's most valuable feature is the web interface, which is useful compared to other tools, has a lot of features, and is intuitive.

I've been using Bitbucket for two years.

Bitbucket is very stable.

Bitbucket's scalability is good for a single location.

We used an in-house team.

I understand Bitbucket's cost is on the higher side.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing Bitbucket, people should be clear on the tools they will have to adopt based on their needs. It goes well with other Atlassian solutions like Jira or Bamboo, but integration with other third-party solutions is more complex. I would give Bitbucket a rating of nine out of ten.

Download our free Version Control Report and find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, Amazon, IBM, and more!
    Updated: September 2022