Bitbucket is our source code repository. We use it as our source code reaction control system and for pool requests and engineer builds. It is integrated with Bamboo, which uses a CI CD pipeline to release our code to different environments.
Bitbucket is the #1 ranked solution in top Version Control tools. PeerSpot users give Bitbucket an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Bitbucket is most commonly compared to Bitbucket Server: Bitbucket vs Bitbucket Server. Bitbucket is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Download the Version Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022
What is Bitbucket?
Bitbucket is a team-oriented Git-based code hosting and collaboration solution. The best-in-class Jira and Trello integrations in Bitbucket are meant to bring the entire software team together to complete a project. Bitbucket gives your team a single location to collaborate on code from concept to cloud deployment, to generate quality code through automated testing, and to deploy code with confidence.
There are three deployment options for Bitbucket:
Bitbucket Cloud is a web-based version of Bitbucket that is hosted on Atlassian's servers and accessible via a URL. Pipelines, an exclusive built-in CI/CD tool in Bitbucket Cloud, allows you to create, test, and deploy directly from Bitbucket.
Bitbucket Server is installed on your computer and runs in your environment. Bamboo, our robust CI/CD platform, has strong connections with Bitbucket Server, allowing you to totally automate your workflow. The license is unlimited.
Bitbucket Data Center appears to users as a single instance of Bitbucket Server, but it is actually hosted on a cluster of servers in your environment.
This has some advantages over Bitbucket Server:
Availability: If one cluster node fails, the remaining cluster node(s) can continue to service requests, resulting in little or no downtime for customers.
Performance at scale: A cluster of numerous Bitbucket Server-running machines can manage more traffic than a single system.
- Mirroring: For distributed teams working with large repositories, smart mirroring can increase Git clone performance.
Bitbucket has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:
- Workflow control: This helps you to enforce a project or team workflow.
- Cooperation: Pull requests with inline commentary for code review cooperation.
- Customization: If you don't find what you're looking for in our Marketplace, you can use our full Rest API to create unique features for your workflow.
- Jira and Trello integration: Bring order to the chaos and keep the entire software company informed. Access to Jira issues and Trello cards' branches, build status, commits, and status.
- Code collaboration: From concept to cloud, code collaboration is a must. Create a merging checklist with designated approvers and check for passing builds before transitioning Jira issues based on pull request status.
- Consistent delivery: With built-in continuous delivery, you can build and test automatically. Build, test, and deploy with Bitbucket Pipelines, our integrated CI/CD solution. Benefit from code-based configuration and quick feedback loops.
- Simple deployment: Keep track of your deployments, preview them, and confidently promote them.
- Code security: You can rest easy knowing your code is safe on the cloud, and you can use checks to prevent errors from occurring.
Reviews from Real Users
Bitbucket stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its robust traceability and user-friendly interface. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:
One PeerSpot reviewer, a Developer III at an Information Technology at a energy/utilities company, writes, “Bitbucket has improved our organization because it has simplified and streamlined our developer communication code and review process. It is also much more visual.” He adds, “Bitbucket's traceability is great. Being able to see pool requests is just a great thing for collaboration.”
Kajal P., Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company, notes, “The solution is easy to use. If I need to check out my latest code or I need to send my local code to the depositories it is simple. Overall it has been a good experience from my side using this solution."
Oscar Insurance, Fugro Roames, Splunk, Rakuten, Red Giant, Met Office, Trulia, Onfido, TriNet, Orbitz Worldwide, Ames Research Center, Sotheby's
Bitbucket Pricing Advice
What users are saying about Bitbucket pricing: