IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Jenkins OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Jenkins is #2 ranked solution in top Build Automation tools. PeerSpot users give Jenkins an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Jenkins is most commonly compared to Tekton: Jenkins vs Tekton. Jenkins is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Jenkins Buyer's Guide

Download the Jenkins Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Jenkins?

Jenkins is an award-winning application that monitors executions of repeated jobs, such as building a software project or jobs run by cron.

Jenkins Customers

Airial, Clarus Financial Technology, cubetutor, Metawidget, mysocio, namma, silverpeas, Sokkva, So Rave, tagzbox

Jenkins Video

Jenkins Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Jenkins pricing:
"Jenkins is a free open-source server."

Jenkins Reviews

Cloud Security Engineer at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We can do whatever we want and customize as much as we wish to in any programming language
  • "The most valuable aspect of Jenkins is pipeline customization. Jenkins provides a declarative pipeline as well as a scripted pipeline. The scripted pipeline uses a programming language. You can customize it to your needs, so we use Jenkins because other solutions like Travis and Spinnaker don't allow much customization."
  • "And I don't care too much for the Jenkins user interface. It's not that user-friendly compared to other solutions available right now. It's not a great user experience. You can do just fine if you are a techie, but it would take a novice some time to learn it and get things done."

What is our primary use case?

I use Jenkins for the continuous integration and continuous delivery phases of my pipeline. For the continuous integration part, we use GitHub with Webhook. If we have a development environment and the developer pushes anything, Jenkins will trigger the job right away. But if it is going to stage all the production environments, then Jenkins will start the job, and the developer will create a pull request.

We can see that the test cases have passed, and the GitHub branch is ready to be merged into the feature branch. And for the continuous delivery pipeline, we are pushing things ourselves through Helm. So whenever we have to deploy something, we have created or developed our stages, through which we use Helm charts and deploy our solution.

Since we are using microservice architecture, most of our infrastructure is Kubernetes-based, which means we use docker containers inside that and cloud environments to spin up our solutions quickly. Jenkins is running inside Kubernetes, and Jenkins has some hooks attached to it. And with the plugins attached, you can spin up the container on the go whenever we have to build a job. And when the job is complete, the container is deleted. It's not like we have some node in Jenkins. The architecture comprises a master and a slave node, and you can run jobs on the slave node.

Our slave nodes work under both containers, which we are only spinning up when we need. And when we are done, we are just stripping them out instead of having our virtual machines running all the time. That is an interesting aspect of this architecture for us. Microservices waste architecture, so we use Kubernetes infrastructure with containers to spin up our slave nodes and handle the workload or the computing.

We use Jenkins for everything. We want to empower developers to have the confidence to deploy their solutions themselves into production instead of asking us as an operations guide. Even if they have to create a repository in GitHub, we have scripts behind Jenkins that can go ahead and make these for them. It's a core component of our development pipelines and developers' lives in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to have around 30 to 40 services, which we had to use in our microservices architecture. Now, when we have to deploy things due to the same code base, we have to write the same code every time and repeatedly in the Jenkins file. It's a monotonous job, and we cannot innovate. We are just copy-pasting the Jenkins file and only changing a few things in it. That wasn't the kind of DevOps experience we want. We want some customization instead of a mundane task. But there is an option in Jenkins called Jenkins Shared Library, where we can write our own group code. Now we are using it like a programming language in the Jenkins file.

We only have to call the object and inside that object, we have to call the function or methods we want. Our Jenkins files, which were previously 309 lines were reduced to 220 or 230 lines by only calling the objects and the specific parameters. If I want Java, I will provide Java, so it is going to call the specific stage, defining my library for Java-based code. If it is NTM, it is going to call the different libraries along with the right tools for load-based applications and testing. That was a satisfying experience. As a DevOps team, we spent a lot of time creating good value in the pipeline stream instead of spending all our time copy-pasting the Jenkins file.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of Jenkins is pipeline customization. Jenkins provides a declarative pipeline as well as a scripted pipeline. The scripted pipeline uses a programming language. You can customize it to your needs, so we use Jenkins because other solutions like Travis and Spinnaker don't allow much customization. We can only use the declarative pipelines they provide.

We can use Jenkins through the GUI and create customized methods. Its GUI is just like Java, so we can make our classes and define our custom methodologies. We can do whatever we want and customize as much as we wish to in any programming language.

What needs improvement?

Jenkins is a Java-based solution, and it's a hassle to initially spin up the solution in Java. Jenkins is highly customizable through plugins, but it has limited out-of-the-box capabilities. We have to take advantage of the community configurations available to us.

And I don't care too much for the Jenkins user interface. It's not that user-friendly compared to other solutions available right now. It's not a great user experience. You can do just fine if you are a techie, but it would take a novice some time to learn it and get things done.

Jenkins
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Jenkins. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I used Jenkins extensively this whole year. Prior to that, I was using it for consolidation stuff, but this year I have used it extensively for both installations and DevOps pipelines.

There have been no crashes. I would say that the only important thing is downtime. Since it is a double application, the reboot takes a long time. It would be nice if it took less time to boot. Sometimes it takes around 5 to 10 minutes to boot with all the plugins. It would be great to reduce the maintenance time so that the developers don't even notice when it has been updated. But when we update, we need to announce downtime for that.

We have a master node, and the slave nodes are containers, so it's quite robust and scalable with that plugin for us. Even if we have a lot of jobs running at one time — sometimes it's 30 to 50 jobs running — it's cloud infrastructure. It's going to spin up automatically. The nodes are auto-scaling for the Kubernetes, and you can spin up containers on top of that, so it's quite scalable for us.

We haven't needed Jenkins support yet.

The initial configuration with Kubernetes is a little bit clunky. Maybe we don't know how to do it because things are ever-evolving, or perhaps there is a right way that we do not know right now. This is one of the pain points. If I have to update my cluster, or there is some disaster recovery mechanism, or I have to add something in the configurations, there is no out-of-the-box tool available in Jenkins.

If I'm going to change my configurations in the conflict maps, it will not reload by itself. I have to add another sidecar container, which always looks for my configuration change updates and adds it into Jenkins. That was my pain point, and that is the same in the initial configuration part that you have to figure out. Jenkins cannot provide you with something out of the box for continuous change and updates. You have to use some third-party plugins for the sidecar containers.

The initial deployment was relatively easy because we used the UI to configure everything. Then there is one part of the configuration code in Jenkins where we have to take the configuration and put it in the conflict map. Whenever we have to change something, we only need to change the configuration map. And it reloads that part.

The code portion of the configuration is very lengthy, and it isn't easy to figure out what should go into the configuration and what is unnecessary. There is a lot of junk in that. This is not good for the developers to put in their configuration size, but that was their end. Figuring that out takes time. That said, it's a one-person job. You don't need too many people if you know what you are doing.

After installation, Jenkins requires some maintenance, like backup and configurations. If there are some security breaches, Jenkins sends out notifications that you need to update these plugins because there were some security flaws. Sometimes we have to reboot Jenkins to apply these updates, which requires some downtime. Most plugins don't need a reboot, but we have to reboot Jenkins if it involves some core components.

We used the free version. We didn't need anything specific on the support side for that. It's totally customizable, and if you get so much good out of an open-source project, then you don't need to go for any support model. That was quite good, and community support has been good enough for us.

I looked into Travis, and I was primarily looking for customization. Travis wasn't as customizable as Jenkins.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jenkins between seven and eight because I'm not that much of a GUI user, so I can use it. And if I have my configurations in place, I don't have to go inside and look at the UI again. It's a good solution for us.

Subramani R - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Data Engineer at PayPal
It's an open source solution for automating deployment, but it lacks the integration and user-friendliness of a paid product
  • "Jenkins allows us to automate deployment, so I no longer have to do it manually. That's the primary use case. The other advantage of Jenkins is that it's open source. It was free for me to download and install. It's a product that's been in use for many years, so I can find a lot of support online for any issues that I may encounter while configuring anything for a given use case."
  • "I sometimes face a bottleneck when installing the plugins on an offline machine. Mapping the dependencies and then installing the correct sequence of dependencies is a nightmare, and it took me two days to do it."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Jenkins for CI/CD pipelines. We have around 400 dashboards and BI applications that need to be deployed when we make changes and push it all out on GitHub.

I create webhooks from GitHub to trigger the Jenkins pipeline, which runs a script that I'm writing in Python. This deploys the applications to their respective application servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Jenkins allows us to automate deployment, so I no longer have to do it manually. That's the primary use case. The other advantage of Jenkins is that it's open source. It was free for me to download and install. It's a product that's been in use for many years, so I can find a lot of support online for any issues that I may encounter while configuring anything for a given use case.

What is most valuable?

I like that Jenkins integrates seamlessly with GitHub, and it's able to clone a lot of repositories. There is also a workflow sequence where I can write my script so that it goes through a particular workflow channel and all the scripts run.

Jenkins offers many environment variables, allowing me to customize it and deploy in various environments without too many changes to the record. It's fairly sophisticated in that sense.

What needs improvement?

Many of the Jenkins servers I install are on a system in some restricted zone where the server doesn't have internet access. This is problematic because Jenkins requires many plugins to integrate with GitHub or add custom functions, so it would be helpful if the plugins were pre-installed with the product.

Installing them online is easier because I can go ahead and search for the plugins I need. However, I have to download every plugin when I'm using this tool on a server in a high-security zone with no internet access. Each plugin depends on another, so the plugins have to be installed in a particular order, or installing all the plugins is extremely difficult. If the prerequisite is not installed, and I install the other one, it goes out and gives me an error. It's a complicated process to do it.

When this tool does not satisfy a particular requirement, I map the requirement to some other tool and proceed with it. There are different tools for various use cases, so I use whatever I have. I don't expect a single product to provide all the functionalities I need.

I've been working on Jenkins for about a year.

If there isn't any problem with the server where Jenkins is installed, I don't have any issues with Jenkins. We have had to restart it a few times to free up memory, but we run it on a multi-node cluster. That helps because we can redirect traffic through one of the servers while we restart the other. Some minor restarts need to be done to free up memory, but we have redundancy in place so it doesn't affect the system availability.

Jenkins' scalability is good because we can connect it to as many repositories as possible. I can create a hierarchy of jobs and set up a proper workflow to trigger the jobs in sequence. One level of the hierarchy is the build steps, and on top of those, we have hierarchy of jobs. Each job can trigger another job as well.

We use Jenkins throughout the entire organization to deploy a lot of applications. Every software development team in my organization uses Jenkins. Our developers have standardized the process and created another tool on top of the Jenkins server.

We primarily use community support. Jenkins is widely used, so the community knowledge base is very rich. For any given question we have, the chances are good that someone has been asked it a couple of years ago, and it has already been answered well. We only need to recreate the solution online. Support is extensive.

Google provides a service similar to Jenkins called Cloud Build, but we'd have to purchase it because it's not open source. And since it's provided a GCP service, it's on the cloud. Most of the features that Jenkins offers is are available GCP. However, the server infrastructure is managed by GCP, so we don't have the flexibility to configure and change many things about the way the system works.

There is a set of features available to us, and we can put some parameters in place to make it work. But the problem is that Cloud Build isn't very flexible in terms of its configuration. We have the same issue with AWS CodeDeploy, another service like Jenkins.

Most of the configurations we do have already been set by the cloud provider. Let's say Jenkins asks us to configure five to 10 things, and the cloud provider only asks us to configure one or two. Again, the problem is we do not have the option to customize.

What's more, GCP or AWS services for CI/CD pipelines are tied to the other services in the cloud. For example, AWS has its own source control system called as CodeCommit. CodeDeploy is connected to it and another service called Pipeline.

You can fluidly orchestrate code with minimal administration or configuration. All changes you make on CodeCommit go through the workflow by just inputting the scripts. You don't have to do a lot of configuration like you need to do in Jenkins. AWS takes care of all of that. You can put some approval process to see if the build has succeeded. You need someone to go in and approve it before it's deployed. All those things can be done that aren't possible in Jenkins.

If I'm installing Jenkins on Windows, it's a simple graphical user interface similar to any installer. I only have to specify the port where this needs to be installed to open it and then configure the login. It's not intuitive to figure out what needs to be done because Jenkins is open source. As soon as we install it, it outputs some text file to one of the folders where Jenkins has been installed, and we generally don't have an idea of where that file will be.

That's the kind of thing you have to figure out using community support. I go to that file, find the temporary password, and set the login credentials. After the installation, I access the specific port where the server was installed via a local host. Then I log in to the Jenkins server and start configuring all the necessary elements I want in my deployment process.

The initial setup takes about 15 to 20 minutes, but I sometimes face a bottleneck when installing the plugins on an offline machine. Mapping the dependencies and then installing the correct sequence of dependencies is a nightmare, and it took me two days to do it. However, it generally takes only a day to get it completely configured.

Sometimes the batch scripts or any scripts we put in place might be a version that Jenkins doesn't support. We either have to make sure our scripts are compatible with the Jenkins version or update Jenkins. That sort has happened, but it's rare. Maybe it's because I've only worked on Jenkins for a year, and I haven't seen a lot of difficulties over there. I think there should be some maintenance, but from my experience, I've found it to be very minimal.

Jenkins is completely open source.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate Jenkins about six out of 10 because it doesn't have much out-of-the-box integration. Everything needs to be done manually. On the other hand, it's free, so that makes up for the shortcomings. It depends on an organization's needs and budget requirements because it's not something I pay for.

I would recommend it for certain use cases. It depends upon the project. For example, Jenkins might be suitable for a client who doesn't use a cloud provider to deploy their CI/CD pipelines, and they're deploying on their on-prem system. Also, if they're in their POC phase and are unsure how much budget will be allocated to the project, I definitely recommend Jenkins to be their first-go solution for a CI/CD pipeline.

Jenkins
July 2022
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Software Engineering Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Supports most of the open-source plug-ins, has the auto-schedule feature, and does not trigger a build when there is no change
  • "The auto-schedule feature is valuable. Another valuable feature is that Jenkins does not trigger a build when there is no change in any of the systems. Jenkins also supports most of the open-source plug-ins."
  • "There are a lot of things that they can try to improvise. They can reduce a lot of configurations. It is currently supporting Groovy for scripting. It would be really good if it can be improvised for Python because, for most of the automation, we have Python as a script. It would be good if can also support Python. We have a lot of Android builds. These Android builds can be a part of Jenkins. It can have some plug-ins or configurations for Android builds. There should also be some internal matrix to check the performance. We also want to have more REST API support, which is currently not much in Jenkins. We are not able to get more information about running Jenkins. More REST API support should be provided."

What is our primary use case?

We are an automotive infotainment software provider. Our products are for infotainment. We have displays or music systems that are dealing with the Android operating system, and we are using Jenkins for some of the jobs.

We have two deployment models. One is on-premises, and the other one is the private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

As an organization, we have multiple products and variants. For example, a customer or OEM has multiple car lines or brands. There is a common platform, and Jenkins is helping with the source code. From this common platform, each of the variants is taken for the build. We don't need to build and test.

We get to see the results, and it is also useful to see the status in terms of success, failure, or any issue. We are able to get the status for a variant. It is connected to other dashboards such as Grafana, and we are able to see everything in one place.

It has been helpful in monitoring the progress and understanding how the daily build is happening. It gives us confidence that the products that we have built are shippable. We are able to get the status of whether a product is shippable or has a problem. This is the advantage that we have from an organizational standpoint.

What is most valuable?

The auto-schedule feature is valuable. Another valuable feature is that Jenkins does not trigger a build when there is no change in any of the systems. Jenkins also supports most of the open-source plug-ins.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of things that they can try to improvise. They can reduce a lot of configurations. It is currently supporting Groovy for scripting. It would be really good if it can be improvised for Python because, for most of the automation, we have Python as a script. It would be good if can also support Python.

We have a lot of Android builds. These Android builds can be a part of Jenkins. It can have some plug-ins or configurations for Android builds. There should also be some internal matrix to check the performance.

We also want to have more REST API support, which is currently not much in Jenkins. We are not able to get more information about running Jenkins. More REST API support should be provided.

I have been using this solution for almost six years.

It has been pretty stable. We haven't faced any issues. If you are running Jenkins in any lower hardware, or your machine or hardware is not that compatible, you might see some memory or Java issues. If you are running Jenkins in a good hardware environment, you don't see any problem. When you have the right hardware and proper memory, there is no problem.

Scalability is one of the challenging parts. Before the Docker area, we had a lot of challenges in terms of scaling because in one product, we had version 2.215, and in another product, we had a different version. If you want to migrate from one version to another or if you want to pull a different product, it took some time. It took two weeks time to set it up in a different environment. With the help of Kubernetes and Docker, we are able to spin off a couple of clusters with the Jenkins master. It is helping us a lot.

We have around 4,000 users for multiple Jenkins. We are a product-based company. Our products are built daily by using Jenkins. Out of 4,000, 60% of the users are using it for development and continuous release purposes. It is also used for nightly builds.

For support, we have only reached out to the open-source community. We find information on the web, and with trial and error, we are able to solve problems.

If you get any licensed product, you get support, but with open-source solutions, you don't get such support. So, we are fully dependent on the Jenkins community and people with some experience for fixing the issues.

It is straightforward. We have the software, and we create a Docker file. We use Jenkins as a master for our project, and we also build all plug-ins and create one Docker image. We give a single command to some administrative people to install the master.

In terms of deployment duration, we have an automated Docker setup, which hardly takes one day. The manual method would take a week.

There are a lot of frequent virtual updates from Jenkins. If there is a change, we put it into our Docker container, and then we will check and confirm it, which is a good part. If you are not going for Docker, there is a short maintenance period. For example, one version might support a plug-in, but another version might not support the same plug-in. In such a case, we have to deprecate the plug-in and go for another part.

We have 24/7 IT support at the global level. For any issues, we are able to take help. For master, we have one person dedicated not only to Jenkins but also to other deployments and technologies.

We tried CircleCI and Concourse, but we went ahead with Jenkins.

What other advice do I have?

For a person who wants to get started with Jenkins, I would advise initially deploying Docker with Jenkins. You can also create a shared library in Jenkins. You should have some basic knowledge of the Groovy script.

I would rate Jenkins an eight out of ten.

AshutoshSharma - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with clear documentation and good dashboards
  • "The initial setup is simple."
  • "We cannot change the ownership of any directory or file or any kind of directory."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a build automation tool.

If we have to do some automation, we have to deploy the code on a server, and on the production server, so we can create a Jenkins pipeline, which we can call from Jenkins itself. Therefore, whenever we want to deploy the code on a server, on the production server, we use the Jenkins pipeline.

How has it helped my organization?

Within the organization, we have to manage nine applications as DevOps engineers. My expertise is in Unix, so whenever they need any Unix-related help, I'm on it. Okay. For all the nine teams I have to maintain their tasks. It is up to me and I can use Jenkins, Ansible, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

From a deployment perspective, we don't require any passwords or any permissions and all. Everything we can do from Jenkins.

Whenever something fails, so we have the facility to check the logs. Based on that, we can find the solutions and we can fix things.

The initial setup is simple.

The stability of Jenkins is good.

The dashboards are very good.

The solution has been very easy to use.

We have found that the solution offers very good, very clear documentation. Everything is laid out well and easy to explain to a new user.

What needs improvement?

There are some 13 commands that we cannot run for Jenkins. For those particular commands, for the smallest small command (not the bigger task at a deeper level), for example, a copy command, we cannot run it from Jenkins. We cannot change the ownership of any directory or file or any kind of directory. In that case, we have a dependency on, for example, Ansible. There are some limited commands in Jenkins.

I joined this current organization in November of 2019. From November 2019 onwards, I've been using this. It's been approximately two years at this point.

The solution has been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

In some cases, it is a very reliable solution and tool. We had some dependencies, however, we have another solution for those dependencies. Whenever we do not have any dependencies somewhere else, we can use Jenkins.

I've never attempted to scale Jenkins.

My team has nine applications. Our organization has between 250 to 300 people. Many people are using the product. I'm not sure how many teams we have, however, I am sure that all the teams are using Jenkins.

I don't directly deal with technical support. Typically, I create a ticket, however, usually,  I try troubleshooting from my end. If the issue is not from our end, we have to raise a GR ticket and it takes approximately 24 to 48 hours to get it resolved, or for them to actually get in touch with us.

In my company, we also have a Sharepoint that contains troubleshooting documentation that is quite helpful.

I was previously using Ansible.

The solution offers easy deployment. We just need to follow some steps and we have to give some URL paths and that's all. It's not time-consuming.

Initially, we do the setup for a particular or one particular task. If whenever we get a request in the future and based on the task, we just make a copy of that initial task and we do the minor changes and in that way, we can implement new tasks very easily.

We have a Jenkins central team. Whenever they upgrade, they send us a notification. A separate team handles the upgrade.

We are able to implement the solution for our clients.

I understand that the licensing is renewed about once a year. The pricing itself is fine. I wouldn't describe it as being overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using.

I'm just using this tool to automate items for my teams. Whenever my team requires my help, I support them.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations, however, it depends on the requirement and what exactly the users need.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
RohanBhosle - PeerSpot reviewer
Facilities And Administration at LTI - Larsen & Toubro Infotech
Offers an open-source version, is very mature and integrates well with other solutions
  • "Jenkins is a very mature product."
  • "The enterprise version is less stable than the open-source version."

What is our primary use case?

Jenkins is basically used as a CI/CD tool, wherein you can integrate multiple tools that are part of your delivery pipeline. Jenkins is basically a controller for your delivery. For example, what happens, when it happens, and in what sequence it happens can be controlled by Jenkins.

What is most valuable?

Jenkins is a very mature product.

It has got a lot of support as far as integrating Jenkins with other tools is concerned.

There are a lot of plugins as well if you want to enable any feature or any automation as part of your delivery pipeline. There are a lot of plugins, actually, which are available both as part of an open-source as well as a commercial ecosystem.

It is easy to configure and easy to scale as well.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The enterprise version is less stable than the open-source version.

Security is one area that is lacking a bit. You need to have that extra work done when you are adopting Jenkins. There are some features here and there, however, if security overall can be improved, that would be really great.

I've used the solution for more than ten years.

The solution is stable. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

It is scalable. Jenkins can be implemented in a master play mode. You can have multiple masters and you can have multiple notes on which you can execute your jobs, which makes it very scalable.

We have about 500 people using Jenkins.

We've never contacted external support. We've only dealt with internal support. Internal support is very well educated in terms of supporting Jenkins and other tools of concern. I'm very satisfied.

Jenkins was the first product I used. Apart from Jenkins, there are other tools I've used, like Bamboo. Then, specific to the cloud, we have other DevOps services, and other pipelines.  I have used multiple options. Still, I'm kind of a Jenkins fan. I definitely recommend Jenkins over other tools.

The initial setup is very easy. It's not overly complex or difficult. You can enable a Jenkins pipeline, I would say, and a day, or less than a day.

We have about ten staff members that can handle deployment and maintenance. There are managers, developers, and DevOps teams, and then there are SYSops, admins, and DBAs. All these factors are there.

We handled the implementation ourselves, in-house. We didn't need any integrators or consultants.

One good thing about Jenkins is there are two flavors. One is open-source and the other is the commercial or the enterprise edition. The open-source version is pretty stable. For the security concern, you can add your own security-related intervention to make it that much more secure.

For the enterprise edition, you have a cloud-based which actually provides the commercial Jenkins version. Apart from security, they have come up with upgraded versions of Jenkins, for example, Jenkins Access Control and Jenkins Two-point Access Control. You can get added all kinds of features and the ease of implementing or managing your product. As I mentioned, Jenkins open-source is actually more stable and mature if you compare it to the enterprise version.

What other advice do I have?

The solution can be on-premises or in the cloud.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate it ten out of ten.

Cloud Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Beneficial plugin integration, useful elastic management, and reliable
  • "Jenkins can be used for elastic management, if you have any sensitive data or credentials you can use them across the environment. Additionally, the solution is easy to use and can be used across multiple use cases."
  • "The solution could improve by having more advanced integrations."

What is our primary use case?

There are many use cases for Jenkins. We have an AWS infrastructure in which we have created templates for the provisioning of the infrastructure, and for the infrastructure network appliance, we use Jenkins.

For the builds, we use Docker images, Maven, Gradle, and other builds. We send all the build environments to the Artifactory Servers running Jenkins.

For any deployments to the systems, such as any standalone machines, Kubernetes cluster, or Auto Scaling groups, we use the Jenkins.

If a Kubernetes cluster is ready and you want to have other external configurations we use Jenkins for all of the configuration setups.

Jenkins can be used to check vulnerabilities of any system or Docker images.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features I have found are it can integrate other services as a plugin. For example, if you want to integrate GitHub, or third-party tools, such as Prisma scan, you can have them as plugins and you start using them.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more advanced integrations.

I have been using Jenkins for approximately four years.

The solution is stable. However, if you have any network interruption or any server failure it will not be stable.

I have used the stand-alone Jenkins systems and I have other slaves configured with different systems or Docker containers and it has been operating well.

The scalable depends on the environment, if you want to have scalability it is possible. However, if there was a specific option to scale Jenkins systems it would be great.

We have approximately 250 users using this solution.

I have not used the technical support from Jenkins but I have used the online forums which have been helpful in answering questions.

I have previously used GitLab and Azure DevOps tools. I have found them both to be more complicated than Jenkins and this is why I switched. I am more familiar with Jenkins and this is another factor of why I use it.

The installation is straightforward. All you have to do is update your repository and then install it. There are certain configurations needed after the installation, such as providing the secret key, accessing the server, managing the user access for separate groups, for example, development, performance, and QA groups all need different access levels assigned. It does not take more than 10 minutes.

We did the implementation ourselves. Additionally, we can create scripts to do the configurations, this reduces the time needed for us to do them individually.

I am a DevOps engineer and we configure or automate deployments, schedule deployments, and then giving access to certain teams, such as the QA teams. They login in the morning and then if they want any new deployments, they can get it done.

There is a development team to a certain environment, such as test environments, where they can test their code. They have a particular job and can do the deployments by themselves.

Jenkins is a free open-source server.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Jenkins a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Sherief Shawky - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Development Manager at Intellisc
Open-source with a short learning curve but cloud repositories can't trigger on-prem Jenkins systems
  • "It has a lot of community posts and support."
  • "There is no way for the cloud repositories to trigger Jenkins."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the whole automation cycle for the deployments. We are using Jenkins and pipelines for once commits or push commits on Bitbucket or directories. Jenkins is listening for those changes and is applying (or triggered by) the repository changes to deploy and run the test cases, automate test cases, and deploy them on servers for the deployment, testing, or production.

What is most valuable?

It's open-source and free to use.

The learning curve for Jenkins is not a big deal. It has a lot of community posts and support.

The initial setup is simple.

We have found the solution to be stable.

It is my understanding that the solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

Jenkins is on-premise (on our infrastructure) and Bitbucket or Azure directories are on the cloud. Therefore, triggering from the repositories to the on-premise, Jenkins is not applicable. We are trying to reach them now, and we are currently using a plan or a process to listen to the repositories every once in a while to know if there are no new changes applied. It triggers the automation for the deployment and the running test cases, and therefore it may take two minutes or three minutes to have the deployment done after the latest commit. This is due to the fact that we are using on-premise Jenkins for on-premise deployment, yet have the repositories on the cloud. There is no way for the cloud repositories to trigger Jenkins. We are trying to research now how to have the Jenkins over a public IP, so the repositories can trigger it.

We have been dealing with Jenkins for around three years now.

The product is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Although it is my understanding the solution can scale, we don't have much information about scalability for the Jenkins. We didn't investigate scaling yet.

We tend to search for solutions online. I've never reached out to technical support. I rely more on the community.

It's pretty straightforward to set up the product. The DevOps team just took around two weeks or three weeks for the first deployment, for automation for the first deployment using Jenkins. It fulfilled our requirements. DevOps is not a target by itself, DevOps is an operation to remove any pain areas, or time-consuming tasks, or to automate it to have it in seconds. It fulfills our requirements.

The product is open-source.

What other advice do I have?

For the development environment, we are using the on-premise infrastructure. For some customers we are also using on-premise; for other customers, we are using the cloud.

We have branches in Egypt and branches in Dubai that are using Jenkins for the whole automation process and we're really enjoying using it.

I would recommend the solution to others.

I'd give it a rating of seven out of ten.

RakeshPatel2 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at HSBC
Pipeline takes code from any versioning system, but solution could be more stable and easier to configure
  • "With Jenkins, the pipeline will take your code from any versioning system like GitHub or Bitbucket. All the security scans can happen in one go and then all the tests also get run. You can just build one container in it and deploy it."
  • "For this solution to be a 10, it has to be a lot more stable. Maybe the public version of Jenkins is stable, but in our case it's not stable."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple job templates available. You just need to find the best template for your needs. If you just want to do a Maven build, there will be a more suitable template there. For something else, if you just have one rebuild and you want to deploy it from the server, there will be some other job template available. We have multiple job templates, so we need to configure according to that template and then it's okay.

The solution is deployed on-premises. About 15% of my organization is using this solution. It's basically used by the DevOps engineers. Not all the developers use it.

What is most valuable?

With Jenkins, the pipeline will take your code from any versioning system like GitHub or Bitbucket. All the security scans can happen in one go and then all the tests also get run. You can just build one container in it and deploy it.

What needs improvement?

For this solution to be a 10, it has to be a lot more stable. Maybe the public version of Jenkins is stable, but in our case it's not stable. There is a knowledge record, but you still need to figure out the way to configure it initially. It has to be easier. There should be some indication that an error is not caused by Jenkins.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

Because we are using in-house tools, it's a little bit unstable.

It's very scalable.

We haven't needed to call support. If we have any issues, we contact HSBC's support team or the one who created the template.

Initial setup is difficult. From start to finish, deployment takes an hour and a half.

We are using in-house tools.

Jenkins is open-source.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 6 out of 10.

I have less knowledge of the raw Jenkins, but Jenkins is doing almost all the stuff that I want it to do, but it's not a 10 because of the difficulties to configure it, to make it work, to do end-to-end, and then the stability.

You should first find out all the requirements that Jenkins is doing. You need to find out if you have any coding issue or if Jenkins has any issue. Now I train people to use it, and normally these are the issues that I find. There are many occasions where there is an issue with code but it's not always that Jenkins is wrong; sometimes it's the code that is breaking.