IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Check Point Remote Access VPN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Check Point Remote Access VPN is #3 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools and #4 ranked solution in top Remote Access tools. PeerSpot users give Check Point Remote Access VPN an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Check Point Remote Access VPN is most commonly compared to Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client: Check Point Remote Access VPN vs Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Check Point Remote Access VPN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
Check Point Remote Access VPN Buyer's Guide

Download the Check Point Remote Access VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Check Point Remote Access VPN?

Remote secure access VPN is a solution that provides users with remote access to an organization’s network. The host may have VPN client software loaded or use a web-based client. The solution leverages security features like multi-factor authentication, endpoint scanning, and encryption of all data in motion.

Check Point Remote Access VPN provides individuals with protected and efficient access to a company network from anywhere. This strategy fosters collaboration and connectivity between distributed teams and offices.

Features of Check Point Remote Access VPN

Key features of the secure remote access VPN include:

• Compliance Scanning

The system enforces endpoint security with endpoint compliance. It monitors and verifies the security status of each endpoint and reports back to the Security Gateway. The gateway, in turn, checks the compliance level and directs the connectivity to the right resources.

• 3 Deployment Options

Users can deploy the Remote Access VPN in one of three ways:

1. Integrated with an Endpoint Security solution. In this case, you get a firewall, an application control (not in macOS), the remote access VPN, and compliance features included in the package.
  2. As a Standalone Check Point Mobile for Windows. This package includes a remote access VPN and compliance features.
  3. As a Standalone Secure Remote. This tier only includes the Remote Access VPN.
  • Central Management

Remote Access VPN is centrally managed. The centralized console enables management and enforcement of policies with a single log-in.

• Mobile Access Option

The Remote Access VPN has a web portal that users can use to connect securely to corporate applications, such as web-based resources, file-sharing, and email. Administrators can customize the web portal to match the brand identity.

• 2 Remote Access Options

Remote Access VPN offers two choices for remote access:

1. SSL VPN Portal: Includes the mobile access web portal, an SSL network extender, Check Point Mobile for iOS and Android, and a capsule workspace for iOS and Android.
  2. Layer 3 VPN Tunnel: Includes the endpoint security remote access VPN, Check Point Mobile for Windows, the capsule connect for iOS and Android, the VPN plugin for Windows 8.1, and the capsule VPN for Windows 10.
  • Authentication Support

The authentication features include password management, RADIUS challenge/response, CAPI software, and hardware tokens. P12 certificates, and SecurID.

• Encryption Tunnel

The system establishes a VPN tunnel on demand. It also re-arranges connections when roaming. The tunnel can automatically tear down when the user is on the corporate LAN.

• Connect Options

There are several connection features, such as Hotspot detection, office mode IP, split tunneling, and automatic fallback to HTTPS.

Benefits of Check Point Remote Access VPN

One of the key advantages of Remote Access VPN is that it provides remote workers with a secure way to connect to a corporate network from any device, including their personal devices. The data encryption in transit enables them to securely access the resources they need for their tasks.

It also provides IT support and technicians with a faster way to troubleshoot software issues. In the case of a ticket, IT doesn’t need to go to the server location to fix the problem but can troubleshoot it remotely.

A remote secure access VPN is also an affordable alternative for small and medium-sized businesses, without requiring expensive infrastructure.

Reviews from Real Users

A Global IT Network and Security Service Senior Specialist at a manufacturing company who uses Check Point Remote Access VPN says, "I found the MEP feature the most valuable. This has improved users' latency allowing the users to connect to the nearest Azure Check Point VM."

"Organizations that already use the Check Point NGFW Solution do not require any additional hardware, which makes the implementation straightforward and reduces the time to go live," explains Basil D., Senior Manager at a financial services firm.

Manuel B., a Voice and data infrastructure specialist at a tech services company, says that "The IPSec VPN, Mobile Access, and Identity Awareness are three of the blades with which we have been working with since the pandemic. This has given us great mobility, making our network more dynamic."

Check Point Remote Access VPN was previously known as Check Point Remote Access VPN, Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN.

Check Point Remote Access VPN Customers

Osmose, International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)

Check Point Remote Access VPN Video

Archived Check Point Remote Access VPN Reviews (more than two years old)

Assistant General Manager IT at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A comfortable interface that provides access to our data and business applications

What is our primary use case?

In our current dynamic, we are using this solution to provide access to data and some business applications over the internet.

What is most valuable?

Our users find the interface very comfortable to use.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for innovation and the addition of new features.

We have been using this VPN for more than ten years.

Check Point Remote Access VPN
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Check Point Remote Access VPN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

With respect to stability, Check Point has been running smoothly and we haven't had any issues.

We have about 500 people using this solution in our company during the COVID-19 pandemic. Prior to that, we had an average of 100 daily users.

We are satisfied with the support.

We are always searching to see if there is anything new in the market.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, Check Point is meeting all of our requirements. That said, there is always a chance of innovation and something new.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Senior System Engineer at Thai Transmission Industry
Stable solution but they should strengthen their security features

What is our primary use case?

A lot of our clients are complimentary companies, like the electrical company. They need Check Point Remote Access VPN, or even another similar solution. I tell them that I already have the VPN solution in our company.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improving the service, I think they could add more features, like the security to block off the doors, or create another hatch, something like this. They could make the features safer, add malware to make my mail and the Kryon system safer and to protect data at an earlier stage.

I have been using Check Point for about one year.

I have not heard any complaints from the clients regarding its stability. I think it's stable for them.

Not all of our clients who use Check Point VPN are in Thailand. Some government agencies, like the Electric City Company, are in Thailand. They use it formally. Their IT and telecom departments, those who require a secure network, are using it.

I have not contacted customer support yet because I take care of any issues from here. That's why I don't have their programming disk because I take care of it myself, including the configuration and the DSL in Check Point.

We still use other products.

The initial setup is not complex. Plus, we've got the Kryon system. So these systems make it easier for the user. We have known this product for a while, that's why it's not a problem to configure the system.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have any advice yet.

On a scale of one to ten, I'd give Check Point Remote Access VPN a seven.

Check Point Remote Access VPN
August 2022
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Tech Security Management at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple management, quick search capabilities, and very good stability
  • "The management of the solution is very simple. It allows for a single view of all the endpoints."
  • "I cannot see the full effect of the endpoint solution because it relies on having access to the DNF queries, which might not go through the Check Point firewall when you're using it for perimeter networks. Check Point will not identify the actual source of the net queries. This may be related to the architecture, however, and not poor product issues. I don't know if it can be improved on the Check Point side or not."

What is most valuable?

The differentiator for this solution is the management interface that we find very good and provides a single view for all endpoints. The solution offers SmartLog that allows quick searches. The compliance modules are also very interesting.

What needs improvement?

I cannot see the full effect of the antibot solution because it relies on having access to the DNS queries, which might not go through the Check Point firewall when you're using it for perimeter networks. In this case Check Point will not identify the actual source of the DNS queries associated with antibot activity. This may be related to the customer architecture, however, and not due to product limitation. I don't know if it can be improved on the Check Point side or not.

The solution should allow for the automatic identification of destinations.

We have a URL qualification on the on-premises deployment model; this should also be the case on the cloud. The automatic classification should be done by the cloud team instead of having to specify or subscribe to a RSS for the information, we should be able to have an object that represents such cloud services. It's possible that Check Point already allows for this, but if they don't they should.

We've been using the solution for about 20 years.

The solution is very stable.

The stability depends on the setup. If the solution resides on a specific appliance, it is not scalable. It has a fixed capacity. However, if you move it onto different environments, cloud environments, it will become scalable. Right now, we have about 4,000 users in the current network and about 500 remote access users.

Technical support is reasonable. It depends on the level of support you are willing to pay for, however. You can choose to have a company working for you with intermediate support with Check Point, or you can choose to have direct advanced support.

The initial setup has a moderate amount of complexity. It's acceptable. However, the graphical display of the user chart of network usage, and the ability to zero in on the current graphics could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

We currently only use the on-premises deployment model, although we may extend into the cloud in the future. We're aware of the cloud's capabilities, but we're not using it because we don't have a large infrastructure expression there.

In terms of advice, I'd suggest that others implementing the solution make sure training happens on their teams. Most products can have lots of features, but if you do not have proper knowledge, you will not be able to make use of those features.

I'm very satisfied with this solution; I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Adriano-Simao - PeerSpot reviewer
IT System Integrator at a financial services firm
A secure solution that's reliable and scalable
  • "The ability to create your trigger data domains is the solution's most valuable feature."
  • "The interface itself needs improvement. When you need to create something, you have to go through a lot of steps. It needs to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to have a secure connection and to offer security integration with our remote office as well as some other companies.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution should include the ability to integrate the equipment's functionality with others. For example, we would like Checkpoint to be able to integrate easily to the public key infrastructure. According to Checkpoint, there is no use case for this right now.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution has been very scalable for us up until now. Currently, we have two data centers and we are running two Checkpoints for the facility to spread the workload.

The process is mainly straightforward.

We started only with the firewall components and this part was straightforward. Once we started to implement the VPN, we had to work with the reseller. Now, we are handling it ourselves.

We handled the implementation ourselves with the assistance of resellers.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

Checkpoint is very strong and very reliable. I would advise that those considering implementing the product go to a Checkpoint training session before implementing the solution. It's good to be familiar with the product beforehand.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

it_user147558 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Gives users the ability to work from home. It would be great if the Java applet could run without admin permission.

Valuable Features

Firewall and SSL VPN

Improvements to My Organization

One of the features that is very valuable to our agency is SSL VPN software blade which gives users the ability to work from home.

Room for Improvement

The SSL VPN needs a Java applet to be installed and it is also dependent on the latest version of java. If our users use their work laptops at home they don’t have the permission to install anything that would be great if this applet can run without administrator permission.

Use of Solution

4-5 years

We haven't encountered any issues with deployment.

We haven't encountered any issues with stability.

We haven't encountered any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: ExcellentTechnical Support: Excellent

It is definitely not a complex procedure.

Implementation Team

In-house, with a CheckPoint engineer’s assistance, Excellent.
Download our free Check Point Remote Access VPN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022