Appgate SDP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Appgate SDP is the #2 ranked solution in top ZTNA tools, #4 ranked solution in top Microsegmentation Software tools, #7 ranked solution in top ZTNA services, #9 ranked solution in top Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) tools, and #10 ranked solution in Cloud Workload Protection Platforms. PeerSpot users give Appgate SDP an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. Appgate SDP is most commonly compared to Zscaler Internet Access: Appgate SDP vs Zscaler Internet Access. Appgate SDP is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the ZTNA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Appgate SDP?

Appgate SDP is a Leader in the Forrester 2021 ZTNA New Wave, positioned highest for current offering. The Zero Trust access solution delivers complete enterprise user and workload coverage from a unified policy engine. This includes your remote and in-office users, connected devices, hybrid and multi-cloud workloads, microservices and on-prem and legacy infrastructure.

As the industry’s most comprehensive ZTNA solution customers benefit from:

• Drastic attack surface reduction by cloaking all ports
  • Stronger authentication based on identity and contextual risk
  • Multi-tunneling technology that microsegments users, workloads and resources providing least privileged access
  • Extensible 100% API first technology, that enhances and integrates with your technology stack
Appgate SDP Customers

The Third Floor

Appgate SDP Video

Appgate SDP Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Appgate SDP pricing:
  • "It is a pretty expensive tool. It is maybe about $20,000 per year for a hundred users or so."
  • "We pay $100 per user per month. One license for the site is around $17."
  • Appgate SDP Reviews

Manager of Network Engineering at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Very capable, flexible, and robust
    • "The flexibility of the tool is valuable. It is very robust. It has a very robust configuration capability."
    • "One thing that kind of sticks out to me is the ability to do a proper non-split tunnel. VPN tunnel-wise, it is not really a true unsplit tunnel, but I think that's just because of the way it's designed. A split VPN basically allows your system to talk to other systems without being forced down the tunnel. A VPN running in a non-split tunnel mode forces all the traffic down the tunnel to wherever you're VPNing to. It forces the traffic down so that the traffic is subject to the firewall and rules that you have in your corporate environment and such. It helps to prevent remote malicious folks that may be talking directly to that box from piggybacking into the corporate environment through it. They do it partially, but it would be nice to see more of an enterprise-level solution there."

What is our primary use case?

It is a network access control solution. It is used for local access as well as remote access.

I have been using the most recent version of it.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is a more granular access control structure than a traditional VPN.

What is most valuable?

It is pretty well documented. It is also good interface-wise. They've made some improvements over the past few patches.

What needs improvement?

It comes down to cost. It is a pretty expensive tool.

One thing that kind of sticks out to me is the ability to do a proper non-split tunnel. VPN tunnel-wise, it is not really a true unsplit tunnel, but I think that's just because of the way it's designed. A split VPN basically allows your system to talk to other systems without being forced down the tunnel. A VPN running in a non-split tunnel mode forces all the traffic down the tunnel to wherever you're VPNing to. It forces the traffic down so that the traffic is subject to the firewall and rules that you have in your corporate environment and such. It helps to prevent remote malicious folks that may be talking directly to that box from piggybacking into the corporate environment through it. They do it partially, but it would be nice to see more of an enterprise-level solution there.

ZTNA
    December 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Appgate, Waverley Labs, Perimeter 81 and others in ZTNA. Updated: December 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It has good stability.

It is good in terms of scalability.

It is still kind of in the demo mode, so it is not very widely deployed. We currently have maybe a dozen folks.

They're pretty good. I would rate them a four out of five.

This is really the first solution for this particular task. So, it is new.

It is moderately complex. There is a learning curve there.

I didn't really set it all up in one shot. It probably took days or maybe about a week or so.

I did it in-house. I also take care of its maintenance.

It is a pretty expensive tool. It is maybe about $20,000 per year for a hundred users or so.

What other advice do I have?

It comes down to just your doing your typical homework and evaluating other competing products and making sure it is the best fit.

I would rate it a nine out of 10. It is a very capable tool.

Omar_Jaimes - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cybersecurity Architecture Manager at Data Warden
    Easy to implement, quick to deploy, and offers helpful support
    • "It is pretty stable."
    • "On the cloud, when you make some changes, it may be difficult."

What is our primary use case?

If you want to change your VPN solutions, for example, on Cisco ASA, you can deploy a multifactor authentication inside Appgate SDP. Afterward, you can make a micro-segmentation with these connections.

How has it helped my organization?

The core use is as a VPN connection. It is very useful to our company.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to deploy and implement the product.

You can hide the servers, and you can avoid lateral movement if you pick up any ransomware, for example.

The solution offers good support.

It is pretty stable.

We can scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

On the cloud, when you make some changes, it may be difficult. However, on-premises is very good, and I like it.

We'd like to be able to change the VPN connection for different areas. For example, if finance wants to connect to SAP, you could grant access to certain people for that, on a specific server.

I've been using the solution for three or four years.

This is a stable solution. If you have a broken connection, with Appgate SDP, you can enjoy 12 hours in the cache to repair or fix the issue.

You do have enough control in order to be able to scale if needed.

We have 100 users on the solution currently.

It's possible that we might increase usage in the future. I'd need to contract more first.

Technical support is really good. If any issues are related to networking, they are quite helpful.

We did previously use Ivanti.

The solution is very easy to deploy. You can deploy it in ten minutes, so it is very fast.

We have three people on staff that can handle maintenance tasks.

We used a consultant, and they assisted us in the implementation process.

I'm not sure if I witnessed any ROI just yet.

We pay $100 per user per month. One license for the site is around $17.

We did look into Check Point, among other potential solutions, before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

Appgate SDP is the best solution for micro-segmentation and supplying VPN solutions. I'd rate it ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free ZTNA Report and find out what your peers are saying about Appgate, Waverley Labs, Perimeter 81, and more!
    Updated: December 2022