We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Zscaler Internet Access OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zscaler Internet Access is #2 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways and top Internet Security tools. PeerSpot users give Zscaler Internet Access an average rating of 8 out of 10. Zscaler Internet Access is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella: Zscaler Internet Access vs Cisco Umbrella. Zscaler Internet Access is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Zscaler Internet Access?

Zscaler Web Security provides unmatched security, visibility and control, going beyond the basics of web content filtering. Delivered in the cloud, Zscaler includes award-winning web security integrated with our robust network security platform that features advanced threat protection, real-time analytics and forensics. You'll get protection across every user, location and device, including laptops, smartphones, tablets and Internet of Things devices.

For more details:

Zscaler Internet Access was previously known as ZIA.

Zscaler Internet Access Buyer's Guide

Download the Zscaler Internet Access Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Zscaler Internet Access Customers

Ulster-Greene ARC, BanRegio, HDFC, Ralcorp Holdings Inc., British American Tobacco, Med America Billing Services Inc., Lanco Group, Aquafil, Telefonica, Swisscom, Brigade Group

Zscaler Internet Access Video

Archived Zscaler Internet Access Reviews (more than two years old)

Global Information Security Architect at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Centralized firewall that protects the whole topography
  • "The scanning feature is impressive, because they do not introduce a big latency to the traffic."
  • "I would like to see the ability to choose a pool of IPs for my company, set up rules based on them, and know that those IPs are not used by other companies."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for security. We installed it on our work computers and also for other traffic from the office. We are using it for perimeter security and that is useful for us.

How has it helped my organization?

I will give you an example. Before implementing a computer scan on all PCs, our main problem was when we received a phish or something like it. It was impossible for us to tell if it was people from inside or outside our organization that clicked on it. If people that were inside our organization had different appliances for checking the traffic, you had to connect each appliance and get the receipt from that URL. It was a little bit complicated. With the scanner, for example, if somebody clicks on a bad URL you just add that to the reporting part and in a matter of minutes it generates a report, where you can see exactly who clicked on that link and who did something before you got a chance to block that malicious URL. That is the first benefit that comes to my mind and I think it was a huge improvement in our site. Having a centralized firewall that protects the whole topography is quite awesome when you also have users that are not on the plan because it actually improves visibility of those users.

What is most valuable?

I cannot say that I found only one feature that is most valuable, but I can tell you that I find value in traffic scanning and samples. That I think is quite valuable for all their software. The scanning feature is impressive, because they do not introduce a big latency to the traffic. I really like how they manage this part.

What needs improvement?

On the technical side, the only thing that I believe this scanner can improve is in the way they allocate traffic. For example, a big site doesn't have the ability to have its IPs inside the cloud, so Zscaler doesn't allocate you certain IPs for traffic. Your traffic goes to the nearest Zscaler point, and from there you get an IP. Sometimes that is problematic, because your users use the same IPs that another client is using so you don't get the ability to do some rules using some IPs. For example, you cannot use conditional access to high influence IP. You can't say if somebody goes to Zscaler I know that traffic is secure so I can let them past. In this scenario you cannot do this, because Zscaler is using a pool of IPs and they'll circle them for all the clients. I would like to see the ability to choose a pool of IPs for my company, set up rules based on them, and know that those IPs are not used by other companies.

We've been using Zscaler for 4 years.

The product is mature. I can't say it's not stable. It's been there for a while now and it proves that it can do the job according to what they say they do. I cannot say that they are not doing the best of what they think they should do. So at this point, they have a mature product and are working quite okay.

There are no issues there. The number of users doesn't matter, whether you have 100 users or 2,000 users. The only impact you'll have is on financial side. For 100 users you will pay differently than 10,000 users, so I don't think you have an issue on this side.

All our users have libraries on their computers. So if they have a device from the company, they have Zscaler on it. I think we have about 3,000 users in my company.

We have one or two people on maintenance from the global networking team. You don't need to do something special, it just works. The only thing we need to do is check daily if there are any threats, as well as to verify the US dollar and stuff like that. In terms of maintaining it, doing something to make it work, you don't have to worry about that. It's a cloud provided solution. The only thing that you have to concentrate upon is the business side. You have to see how your business is affected, what type of traffic you have in there, and check security threats on your site. That's it. The product by itself is run by the Zscaler team and they do a good job. We do not have maintenance debts. The only incidence that I remember is last month they were blocking our site or something , but that was solved quickly with support from Zscaler.

I did not get any experience directly, I got some instance of indirect support. I asked networking for something and they work directly with the support. My impression was that they responded quickly, relatively speaking. I don't know exactly how it works on the other side, but my impression indirectly was that they offer quick support.

no cloud solution and we had to route back to office the road warriors trafic

From what I discussed with my colleagues from the network that we were working with, it wasn't a difficult process. I cannot tell you how long it took.

We didn't have a similar solution. We had a solution, but we didn't have something cloud-based as a security solution, so I would say we did not use any cloud security-based system.

What other advice do I have?

Check if a product like this makes sense for you. And look at the specifics: what you need in terms of security and what features you would like to have in it. Zscaler is one solution. It's a good solution, but it doesn't do everything. First of all, analyze a few solutions and make a demo. Without a demo, I do not recommend moving forward, because any security solution comes with a price. There is also the financial price, to know if that is okay for your company. Usually Zscaler works best for companies that have users that do not stay in an office. They have road warriors. I would recommend it for companies that have a lot of users moving from here to there.

I would rate Zscaler as eight out of ten. It's not an ideal solution, one of the things is that I do not have my IP fully inside it. For example, you have countries where they don't have a lot of presence and then sometimes they go to another country where they have a presence or data center. When you come back to the other country, and you have to open a fiber, it can be geographically restrictive. I find my country and am going through by neighborhood. When I come back to my country, I cannot see it because I'm geographically restricted. I'm not part of that country, so that's one reason Zscaler isn't ideal.

IT Manager at SiVEST
Protect users from internet threats no matter where in the world they are
  • "Zscaler Web Security protects our users in remote locations from internet threats - even if they are not connected to our network."
  • "Another thing that I would like to see is if Zscaler could have a separate product for direct access. I looked at a private access solution, but I understand there's a separate product that isn't integrated with this."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this web security solution to protect our users in remote locations or branches from internet threats. It is very important for our organization to protect our users, even if they are not connected to our network.

How has it helped my organization?

Zscaler Web Security protects our users in remote locations from internet threats even if they are not connected to our network.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Zscaler Web Security is that we can have our users protected from internet threats and viruses even when they're not connected to our network. I love the fact that it enables us to create whitelists and blacklists based on specific users. These features are extremely important to us and that is what we like most about this solution.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved to make it a little bit easier. When it comes to individual users, I'd like to see easy reporting that can be shared with executives. Due to my technical background I don't have issues to understand the reporting.

However, if I have to give a report to an executive to read, he may find it too confusing. He wants to see something simplistic that contains information like what the user's access time was, how long the user spent time on the site, which sites was visited, what they did etc. The current reports can, therefore, be somewhat improved and simplified.

Another thing that I would like to see is if Zscaler could have a separate product for direct access. I looked at a private access solution, but I understand there's a separate product that isn't integrated with this.

We've been using Zscaler Web Security for five years now.

We've never experienced any outages or other problems since we started using this solution, so I believe it is very stable and secure.

I think it scaled quite well. We are currently using it in a small organization with about 250 users, and I would say it will scale as our company grows.

We've used the technical support on occasion, and they were excellent.

We bought Zscaler Web Security through our Internet Service Provider, so they handled most of the setup. So, from our part, it was quite straightforward.

Our Internet Service Provider is a reseller, and they helped with the installation and setup. Their level of expertise was outstanding. Maintenance and deployment will be easy to manage and I believe one person will be able to handle it. It won't be a full-time job.

Although I can't put a figure to it, we've definitely seen a return on our investment.

Our monthly fee is around R3000 and I think it is very reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other users would be to determine if the reporting meets their requirements. They should get their whitelists, blacklists, groups and active directory set up properly before trying to implement it because it has a very strong integration with the active directory. Therefore, if you have your active directory well set up, you can classify your users and create groups as to who can go where and who can do what on the internet.

If I have to rate this product, I will give it a nine out of ten - simply because I never give anything a ten.

Learn what your peers think about Zscaler Internet Access. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user1059291
IT Projects & Innovation Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Protects from malware and malicious attacks but it needs better integration
  • "The most valuable feature is bandwidth control."
  • "It also needs better integration with other applications as well. There are some restrictions."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for the protection from malware and malicious attacks. We also use it for bandwidth control to compare business and individual use. We use it in conjunction with Palo Alto.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is bandwidth control. It has good traffic visibility.

What needs improvement?

The implementation process needs improvement. Even if you have implemented it, it doesn't mean that it is done, you have to pay for the service afterward. It's not a one-shot implementation, you need to spend some more effort on it afterward.

I would like to see them incorporate a user ID or application ID in the next release of this solution.

I have been using Zscaler for around eight months.

Since you need to maintain it the maintenance payout is not that good. I cannot say that it's stable.

In my company, we have around five thousand users, but just the main account would be around three thousand.

It works every day and it's protecting against the attacks and so we are using on a daily basis.

I would rate their technical a four out of five, based on my experience with some support cases. Their support is good.

The initial setup was okay but the problem is that afterward, you have to put in more time and money.

We used a consultant for the deployment.

It's not an expensive solution but it is more expensive than some of its competitors. The licensing model is good if you pay for the medium-level licensing model. We get many features with the license but if you would like to integrate with other things, you have to spend time and money for the maintenance but other than that you don't have to buy additional new licenses.

What other advice do I have?

It was also one of four other products I believe but the Zscaler I can say that for bandwidth control, it is good, so we are not using at the moment data loss prevention feature so I cannot comment on that, but I believe, when you use Zscaler, you are not protected from all malware and malicious attacks, so you may need another tool just to cover these gaps. Zscaler is not enough for advanced protection. You need an additional tool.

Bandwidth control, reporting, and visibility are good but the cloud-based and the advanced protection aren't so great so I would give it a six out of ten.

Managing Partner with 1-10 employees
A mature and scalable solution that needs to further expand to include adjacent services
  • "The solution offers a distributed organization to master and to control all of the endpoints."
  • "Zscaler should provide adjacent services, which would be complementary to their current offering that could to be more pragmatic for a customer. For example, if you take Akamai, you get multiple sets of services, all depending on the customer and the strategy and the complexity and the problems. In some areas, they are more varied in terms of coverage."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for the solution is to provide better more mature security for our client's networks.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution offers a level of quality of operation and services for each site. By deploying this service we reduce the overall variational risk.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a distributed organization to master and to control all of the endpoints. Zscaler allows us to deploy their solution instead of building an in-house proprietary solution. Because it is well integrated and mature, it's faster, cheaper, and better for the company.

What needs improvement?

Zscaler should provide adjacent services, which would be complementary to their current offering that could to be more pragmatic for a customer. For example, if you take Akamai, you get multiple sets of services, all depending on the customer and the strategy and the complexity and the problems. In some areas, they are more varied in terms of coverage. For example, they also offer content delivery networks, which is complimentary, and for some customers that could solve two problems at once. By providing a wider range of services, Zscaler could reduce deployment risk and operational risk by being a one-stop-shop type of solution.

In the next release, Zscaler should offer a content delivery network.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is scalable. Right now, the company has 40,000 users. The client intends to increase usage.

The initial setup that I'm aware of was not very smooth. I would not blame the product. It was more of the global maturity of the organization we were implementing for. If the organization is not able to align their team, the deployment will be difficult. This deployment is ongoing. We started it four months ago.

We consult on the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I'm currently consulting clients, and have worked with this solution extensively in the past. Most of my clients are moving from a private cloud to a hybrid cloud deployment model.

The way Zscaler has shaped their product is very good. Now they need to expand the coverage and to have a more global service. For mid-players and sometimes top-players, multiplying the numbers of providers to build an integrated solution is a complex endeavor. If Zscaler expanded their services, that would remove some complexity,

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Excellent for securing web traffic, but the solution needs to grow into DLP
  • "The best thing about Zscaler Internet Access is the website filtering. In the UAE it's quite an important feature because most of the malware comes through the SQL injection and through downloads from websites. Zscaler helps protect against that."
  • "In terms of usage, here in the GCC, it's still growing a growing market, so the combination of DLP, data leak prevention, to a certain extent is fine. But what it requires is user-based access or role-based access. The solution needs to grow into that, which definitely takes time. There's not an easy way to integrate it, when you have a cloud-based solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to secure internet traffic. Users want to make sure that the site doesn't have DDoS attacks or any malware. Zscaler is able to protect data for individual organizations and for the country as well.

How has it helped my organization?

Basically, the standard traditional model of a firewall becomes obsolete when you implement Zscaler. It goes into the secure web gateway, and it removes the hardware requirement and the annual recurring costs and the annual maintenance costs for clients, which is quite important and beneficial for smaller SMB organizations.

What is most valuable?

The best thing about Zscaler Internet Access is the website filtering. In the UAE it's quite an important feature because most of the malware comes through the SQL injection and through downloads from websites. Zscaler helps protect against that. It is very important for a telco provider, so that their customers, who rent or who buy those services from them, do not have an issue.

What needs improvement?

In terms of usage, here in the GCC, it's still growing a growing market, so the combination of DLP, data leak prevention, to a certain extent is fine. But what it requires is user-based access or role-based access. The solution needs to grow into that, which definitely takes time. There's not an easy way to integrate it when you have a cloud-based solution.

The only DLP you can have is for the web, such as iboss. The DLP part is quite crucial for this particular region.

DLP, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and some algorithms can be built into the solution. There are certain pet algorithms for AI and machine learning which everybody is moving towards, so that needs to be added to the solution as well.

I've been recommending the solution for two to three years.

We haven't had any issues or any complaints from the customer in regards to the stability of the solution. Usually, the stability depends on the end-user as well, for example, how much usage or how much they know about the technology or the product.

For Zscaler, it is scalable for anywhere from five users up to 5,000 or 10,000 users, because of the MSS model when at telco providers. For an individual company, it is still quite easy for them to scale, based on how much hardware or cloud services they want to deploy. It's pretty easy to scale, as the organization scales.

In general, if you want to look at the number of users, this solution can deploy anywhere from five users up to 10,000 users quite easily from an MSS model, managed services model. When you talk about an on-prem model, however, scaling needs to be deployed at phases. It cannot be deployed in one go for anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 users. It has to go through a deployment phase.

We don't have experience with the vendor's technical support, as we offer our own.

There are three levels of technical support that we provide. The first level comes when we charge the customers on the technical support if our engineer needs to go on-site and help.

The second level of support is, if it's an MSS program, through the telco provider.

If they still need help, then it has to go to the vendor. We always try to help our clients first instead of directing them to vendors.

If you go for the MSS model, managed services model, then the initial setup is very straightforward. You register with the telco and the services are switched on. When you want to stop paying for that, you just turn the services off. That's how simple it is.

If you go for an on-prem model, there are going to be certain challenges surrounding how it needs to be deployed. It's dependant on the client. If the client is a cloud-native organization, it becomes easier. But if the client, SMB client or enterprise client, is not cloud-native, then it is a little expensive for them.

If all the prerequisites are met and the hardware requirements are met for an on-premises model, it takes about a week to deploy the solution. That would be for a small scale organization of about 300 users.

If it is an MSS, you can expect it to take one week. That's only if all the prerequisites are met. If the prerequisites are not ready, it can take up to three to four months. It also depends on the client and how they are looking to deploy it. If they want to go phase by phase or they want to do a full-time deployment, for example.

We are consultants. We handle the implementation ourselves.

The return on investment usually comes in anywhere between three to six months, for a large enterprise. For an SMB, it usually is apparent after two to three months.

Pricing varies from customer to customer, depending on the hardware that is required and the deployment model.

Our clients might evaluate other options, like iboss and Fortinet. We offer Zscaler.

What other advice do I have?

With MSS service providers, they prefer to have an on-prem OPEX-based deployment model. Like telecom providers or data center service providers, they buy the service and roll it out to customers or sell it to their own customers for a monthly fee. We have a mix of clients who prefer to have private clouds and hybrid models.

There is competition, with, for example, iboss and Fortinet in the region. iboss is hardware-free but the company is young and still growing. It's not there yet. Zscaler, however, the way they have matured the market and have become a mature model, makes them preferred over other vendors or other brands.

In terms of implementing Zscaler, it's quite straightforward, but even having a straightforward technology like Zscaler requires a consultative approach of which are the critical areas where the service needs to be deployed first. That needs to be studied as per the cybersecurity guidelines so that the right protocols are implemented.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

They still have some features to integrate. The solution is still evolving.

it_user1150056
Managing Director at Onesecure
A stable, infinitely scalable solution with excellent protection features
  • "The initial setup was straightforward. The biggest thing for us was to build our own policies. The deployment itself was only a few hours."
  • "In every cloud service in the world, you have multiple upstream internet providers to create diversity so that if one of your providers fails, your network just continues. In South Africa, there is only one upstream provider, and that's not right. That that's a problem."

What needs improvement?

The solution is a cloud service, so when you have Zscaler Internet Access, you still often require firewall appliances at the edge to act as gateways to Zscaler. There are certain elements that you can't necessarily ever extract at a network level, which makes it difficult to go completely appliance-less.

You could see it as a downside, but if there's an unavoidable reality of how networking is addressed at this point, and I think that's the only thing that for us is unfortunate, having to always retain some type of alternate firewall or router capability inside the network in order to get to Zscaler, as an example.

We've noticed a trend of Linux support being available at a mobile and workstation level, which isn't available from Zscaler yet, but we are expecting it soon. Zscaler also doesn't offer easy Cisco Meraki integration, which is also on the roadmap, even though we've seen it becoming very common. If we try and use Zscaler with Meraki, it's a fairly manual process to get Meraki to connect to Zscaler, whereas in all other SDware products, there's a lot more automation.

The only other thing we would love to see in Africa would maybe be an additional Zscaler hub in another strategic location like Kenya to really round out Africa because there are only two hubs in over 30 countries on the continent. One is in South Africa and one is in Nigeria. Africa is kind of a black hole for all cloud providers, which makes life tough for us because there are performance issues when delivering cloud-related services. A little bit more penetration into Africa would help with this.

I've been using the solution for 1.5 years.

At a platform level, it's very stable.

One of the primary features of Zscaler is that it's obviously infinitely scalable. That's one of the reasons we like it. It takes away the bottlenecks that we've seen in appliances historically. You can typically grow quite fast.

As long as the platform that they have, that we're connected to, is scaled property, which is their responsibility, then it should be very good. We did hit a problem a while back where they didn't scale properly and we had some major issues. We just hope that it'll never be repeated. It's all about how they manage it, however.

We have about 80,000 users right now. We're selling to more customers, so we're trying to double that number in the next 18 months.

Technical support has been generally very responsive at picking up the tickets in a fairly short amount of time. My experience has been very good.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. The biggest thing for us was to build our own policies. The deployment itself was only a few hours.

We are an integrator and a service provider for Zscaler in the region, so we handled the implementation ourselves.

We have seen an ROI, but the return of investment isn't really as strong as we would like. That has more to do with the reality that South Africa is a very unique and difficult market and the rand depreciation has made all global services expensive in this market. Zscaler, however, leads the local market in value versus functionality.

Roughly, we might spend $70,000 a month on the solution.

We don't pay for anything beyond the standard licensing fee.

We work with the customers that use a range of different types of proxy services. In my personal experience, I've only ever used Zscaler.

What other advice do I have?

We use the ZIA Business Suite, a version of Zscaler Internet Access.

We use the public cloud deployment model.

The solution is very straightforward. That's what we like about the cloud - all the capabilities that are there, and that are available immediately.

There are things customers really have to have before they integrate the Zscaler. They need to understand ADFS and have it integrated properly into their own network. As long as the customers that you work with do the work required of them before integrating Zscaler, then it's seamless. The problems we encounter happen when customers don't get to the point they need to in order to take it on as a product.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Paul Zalewski
Chief Technical Officer at Accountabilit
The web proxy feature blocks malicious sites so that end users don't inadvertently get compromised
  • "All internet access flows through the Zscaler proxy, regardless of whether people are in office or remote. I have greater control site access and I minimize the number of compromises that we experience to almost none."
  • "It needs better integration with other applications. It takes a fair amount of regular activity to apply the by-passes because it is very strict in its restrictions and frequently you have to go in and open things up to allow the workforce to work."

What is our primary use case?

We leverage it for web proxy and web security.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Generally, the web proxy feature blocks malicious sites so that my end users don't inadvertently get compromised.

What needs improvement?

It needs better integration with other applications. It takes a fair amount of regular activity to apply the by-passes because it is very strict in its restrictions and frequently you have to go in and open things up to allow the workforce to work.

The logs that are consumed by our security solution could be a bit more definitive, from an audit perspective. It's sometimes difficult to determine which end user a particular generated alert is associated with.

Stability is good. We have a presence around the globe, it's very localized and that minimizes any kind of latency. Even though they still complain about it.

Scalability is good. Right now our internal workforce is around 120. I have no plans to increase the usage for now. They do have some features we don't use currently.

Technical support is effective.

In the past, we did use some other products. We used OpenDNS which subsequently became Umbrella. Zscaler is easier to manage than OpenDNS but now I think that product is even.

There is a short learning curve on the setup, so it's not complex, but it's not necessarily trivial either. The entire deployment took two to three hours.

We have about 1.5 persons who manage all of our internal IT apps.

We did the implementation ourselves.

There aren't any additional costs to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

Pay attention to the Zscaler recommended best practices. Don't try to figure it out on your own. Go with what they say to do.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

CEO at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
It is a perfect solution for organizations that have a lot of road warriors.
  • "Whether you are in a hotel somewhere, or in Africa, it does not matter. You will get the Zscaler protection presence anywhere."
  • "Tech support is good."
  • "The pricing is an issue. It is expensive if you have all of your users in the same location. It is expensive compared to other firewalls on the market."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for organizations that have a lot of road warriors or very highly distributed small offices. It provides protection anywhere you are...whether you are in a hotel somewhere, or in Africa, it does not matter. You will get the Zscaler protection presence anywhere.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helps you establish a secure connection from your laptop to the closest Zscaler point of presence. So, you have protection anywhere in the world. That's the advantage of it. You don't have to VPN all the way to your home office if you're half-the-world away. You go to the closest Zscaler connection and get your policies applied there. Its very powerful. Its great for anybody who has a lot of distributed work force, a lot of work from home people, or a lot of road warriors, that is where Zscaler shines.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Zscaler protection from external threats. It scrubs everything, email, worms and root problems from websites. It is protection, particularly for distributors users and road warriors. Its very good. They're rated highest in secure web-data wise.

I do not have a problem with the stability of the product.

It is scalable. You can easily put new users and offices on it. It is cloud-based, so you do not run into a hardware limitation like you would with other products.

We used tech support when we first set up the solution. It was good.

It was very straightforward. Anyone with firewall familiarity will find it a simple process to download this solution.

The pricing is an issue. It is expensive if you have all of your users in the same location. It is expensive compared to other firewalls on the market.

We have made comparisons to Palo Alto and Cisco Miraki.

What other advice do I have?

The solution's great, but you have to put it into context because of the pricing and the way it basically protects the device from anywhere. It is really more meant from highly distributed organizations, for organizations that have a lot of work from home and those with road warrior workers. That's what it is designed for.

Chief Executive Officer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
There is a single panel where you can configure the policies for your entire organisation worldwide
  • "Zscaler excels in security protection and the cloud is always up-to-date. It does not matter if you are a small or big organisation, you will receive the same security quality."
  • "One on the main benefits is protection all time from anywhere."
  • "In terms of management and visibility, there is a single panel where you can configure the policies for your entire organisation worldwide."
  • "​After a proper implementation, the maintenance is very low.​"
  • "​When you have appliances, SSL inspection is always a headache due to poor performance and/or lack of ciphers implemented. ​"
  • "Do not expect to pay for the service and start using it, like Gmail. Zscaler requires a proper implementation to be done to make it successful."

What is our primary use case?

Zscaler provides web security on the cloud for any device at any place all the time. If you use local appliances, users are not protected when they are connecting from outside the corporate network (e.g., home office, hotspots, airports, etc.).

We use Zscaler from all our locations, and for our roaming users too. In order to integrate our users to Zscaler, we use Okta (ADFS) for authentication, cloud security connectors for traffic redirection from locations (tunnels to the Zscaler cloud), and the Zscaler app for roaming users.

How has it helped my organization?

One on the main benefits is protection all time from anywhere.

In terms of management and visibility, there is a single panel where you can configure the policies for your entire organisation worldwide and the reporting tools are brilliant.

What is most valuable?

Zscaler provides a lot of features in terms of control (URL filtering, cloud app control, etc.), which can be found in other solutions as well, but in terms of security, it is quite unique. SSL inspection, Advanced Threat Security, and Cloud Sandbox are probably the most valuable.

• SSL inspection is easy to implement and the performance is great (it is the responsibility of Zscaler to provide it).
  • Advanced Threat Security protects you from most threats that can bypass the classic anti-malware solution.
  • Cloud Sandbox completes the stack of security requirements stopping zero-day malware.

More than five years.

After a proper implementation, the maintenance is very low.

Be aware that you will need to invest some time and money to adapt your environment for Zscaler (traffic redirection, software deployment, authentication, etc).

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Zscaler technology partners.
ramesh1923
Technical Specialist with 5,001-10,000 employees
No need to maintain multiple devices on the data center and secure entire traffic.

Valuable Features

Zscaler is securing entire cooperate traffic using its different modules. This includes URL & aapplication filtering, malware & threat protection, bandwidth control, sand boxing and advanced fire-walling etc. Specifically, I like the URL filtering/user authentication. DLP and firewall features are also an added advantages. Also, there are various traffic forwarding mechanisms such GRE, pac file, VPN etc.

Improvements to My Organization

Since this is a cloud based product, we don't have to bother about the hardware/physical status and space. No need to monitor and manage the hardware. If there's an issue, Zscaler will switchover to another node to process the customer traffic.

Room for Improvement

Using location admin users should be better so we can merge any centralized authentication servers like AD, Radius, and any other server. This would help centralize the server management. v5.2 is being released shortly, and will have a lot of new features for TLS and HTTPS transactions.

Use of Solution

Morethan 6 years

Initially there were issues interms of stability and improved a lot now.

Zscaler is very easy to scale.

They have very excellent support team

Other Solutions Considered

It's an excellent product, and there's no need to worry about the hardware and maintenance cost.

Other Advice

We can manage our IT rules and policies using online portal.

Download our free Zscaler Internet Access Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.