We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

WatchGuard Application Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WatchGuard Application Control is #4 ranked solution in top Application Control tools. PeerSpot users give WatchGuard Application Control an average rating of 8 out of 10. WatchGuard Application Control is most commonly compared to Check Point Application Control: WatchGuard Application Control vs Check Point Application Control.
What is WatchGuard Application Control?

Organizations of all sizes rely on various applications for daily business operations, but how do you ensure only sanctioned applications are being used on your network? With WatchGuard Application Control, you have the power to limit application usage, and keep unproductive, inappropriate, and dangerous applications off your network.

Download the Application Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

WatchGuard Application Control Customers
Chester School District, Kensington Close Hotel
WatchGuard Application Control Video

WatchGuard Application Control Reviews

CIO at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Feature rich, easy to manage, and the category blocking is helpful
  • "The most valuable feature is the category control."
  • "There should be more reports available on different subjects."

What is our primary use case?

We were primarily using WatchGuard to control applications that were trying to access offsite network locations.

I am no longer using this solution because it was in my previous job.

What is most valuable?

This is a feature-rich product.

The most valuable feature is the category control.

This is an easy product to manage.

What needs improvement?

There should be more reports available on different subjects. There is a set of predefined Dimension reports but there needs to be more available on aspects like security and Wi-Fi.

I have been working with WatchGuard for more than eight years.

It is a stable solution.

We only had a single site, albeit a large one. Scalability was not something that I had to test beyond the one location, but it was good for our environment.

I was in contact with the WatchGuard technical support three or four times. I was satisfied with them and their responses. We had a WatchGuard Gold Support package.

I have also used Sophos Application Control and from my experience, WatchGuard is the better solution. With Sophos, it is not as easy to block categories, and creating firewall rules is much more difficult.

The initial setup was generally straightforward. We had a little bit of difficulty with our second installation, which was virtualized. It took us two or three days to move from our on-premises deployment to the cloud. It was easy because we already had all of our rules in place. This included testing and not just the implementation.

When we first implemented WatchGuard, we had the help of a solution provider.

What other advice do I have?

For what we needed, WatchGuard was fine and generally covered our needs. It is easy to maintain and it is a product that I recommend. That said, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Scott Eastman
Project Consultant at SysGroup PLC
MSP
It does the job of what it says it does, we set it to what we want it to block and then it blocks it
  • "It does the job of what it says it does. We set it to what we want it to block and then it blocks it."
  • "They could expand the amount of applications that are on the list, but it's pretty intensive anyway, so it's pretty good."

What is our primary use case?

We use it internally and we are an MSP for lots of other companies that use it as well. Our primary use case is to block applications.

What is most valuable?

It does the job of what it says it does. We set it to what we want it to block and then it blocks it.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for five years.

We don't get any issues or bugs with it. The stability is good.

There are two IT guys who use it in our company.

I have contacted their technical support and they were very, very good.

The initial setup was reasonably simple. It took us a couple of hours to get it all set up and working with all of the firewalls set. Our own team did the setup.

It comes in the main licensing costs from the WatchGuard if you buy the license. I don't know about the prices there.

What other advice do I have?

WatchGuard does what it says it does. Definitely use it. If you want to block applications, then definitely use it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. There's going to be newer apps that are probably not going to be blocked straight away, but then they are in time, so it's not really an issue.

Product Categories
Application Control
Download our free Application Control Report and find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Check Point, Untangle, and more!