IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Visual Studio Test Professional OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Visual Studio Test Professional is #3 ranked solution in top Quality Management Tools and #14 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Visual Studio Test Professional an average rating of 8 out of 10. Visual Studio Test Professional is most commonly compared to TFS: Visual Studio Test Professional vs TFS. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Visual Studio Test Professional?
Visual Studio Professional Edition provides an IDE for all supported development languages. As of Visual Studio 2010, the Standard edition was dropped. MSDN support is available as MSDN Essentials or the full MSDN library depending on licensing. It supports XML and XSLT editing, and can create deployment packages that only use ClickOnce and MSI. It includes tools like Server Explorer and integration with Microsoft SQL Server also. Windows Mobile development support was included in Visual Studio 2005 Standard, however, with Visual Studio 2008, it is only available in Professional and higher editions. Windows Phone 7 development support was added to all editions in Visual Studio 2010. Development for Windows Mobile is no longer supported in Visual Studio 2010; it is superseded by Windows Phone 7.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

Visual Studio Test Professional Customers
Transport for Greater Manchester, Ordina, Bluegarden A/S, CLEAResult, Jet.com, OSIsoft, Australian Taxation Office, BookedOut, Tracasa
Visual Studio Test Professional Video

Archived Visual Studio Test Professional Reviews (more than two years old)

Software Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Helpful code development tools and supports background unit testing
  • "The most valuable features are tools like IntelliSense and ReSharper."
  • "The integration with Git needs improving because it is a bit disjointed and unpredictable."

What is our primary use case?

We use Visual Studio for product development. It includes the development of modules from the requirements through to the testing and deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are tools like IntelliSense and ReSharper.

The running of unit tests in the background is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The diagrammatic representation of the database in the entity framework is helpful but it seems to have been removed.

I have been using this solution for about six years, since 2014.

I think that this product is quite stable and good to use.

This is a scalable solution that seems to cope well with large systems.

We have fewer than 200 users and we are unlikely to change our usage.

I have never been in contact with technical support.

I think that the pricing is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

Visual Studio is a good solution that I would recommend. My only complaints are about the Git integration and the removal of the diagrammatic representation of the database from the entity framework.

Managing Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, integrates well with other products, and the performance is good
  • "Performance-wise, it is a great tool."
  • "The pricing of this solution should be lowered."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for functional testing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are integration, support, and ease of use.

Performance-wise, it is a great tool.

The documentation from Microsoft is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of this solution should be lowered.

I have been using Visual Studio Test Professional for about eight years.

This is a stable solution.

I  think that scalability is good. We have between three and five developers who use it.

We have not needed to contact technical support because the knowledge base is quite good. The community support is also good.

We have experience with other testing tools but the choice of product is dependant on the project and the requirements given by the customer.

The initial installation and setup are easy and really only take a few minutes. Definitely less than an hour.

What other advice do I have?

Feature-wise, I think that this product is good enough. It is a solution that I would recommend, provided that it actually meets the requirements for the project.

Functional Testing Tools
April 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Micro Focus, Ranorex and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: April 2022.
595,546 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Programmer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Built-in support for testing C# and .NET is helpful in our continuous integration development process
  • "The most valuable feature is the in-built support for C# and .NET projects."
  • "We would like to be able to easily integrate this solution with our continuous integration tools, such as Jenkins."

What is our primary use case?

I use Visual Studio Test Professional for C# and Java. Within our continuous integration environment, our testing using this solution includes running a script that takes about ten minutes.

At work, I use the paid version but at home, I use the Community Edition.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the in-built support for C# and .NET projects. Most of our clients are using C# and .NET and they prefer to use Visual Studio for automating.

What needs improvement?

We are having trouble that necessitates entering the identification properties of objects manually.

I have been using this solution for four years.

We have not met with any issues regarding stability.

The scalability of this solution is good.

I have been in contact with technical support lots of times. I used to get answers from the portals and the blogs, which was useful for me. When I can't get the answers from those then I contact support.

In addition to Visual Studio Test Processional, I used Selenium Java and Selenium C#. I also use products by SmartBear.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We are only using test scripts, which involves a minimal number of the features that are provided. We have also recommended this solution to some of our clients.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Data Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Good reporting and integrates well with other Microsoft tools
  • "The most valuable features are the SSIS reports, the deployment models, and the ability to interact with other Microsoft tools."
  • "The documents on the Microsoft website are not very useful, and they ought to make it easier to find answers."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to load data from Excel into a database and perform transformations on the data in between.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The stability of this solution needs to be improved because sometimes it hangs and crashes.

The speed at which deployment can be done has room for improvement.

The support documentation that is available on the Microsoft website should be improved.

I would like to see more visuals, such as graphs and diagrams, added.

I have been using Visual Studio Test Professional for two years.

If it were not for the hangs and crashes that I sometimes experience, I would say that this solution is stable.

This is a scalable solution and I have enrolled a lot of users. We have perhaps 1,000 users.

I would rate Microsoft technical support for this solution a seven out of ten.

I have not spoken with them directly, but I have had problems when I go online and search for solutions. The documents on the Microsoft website are not very useful, and they ought to make it easier to find answers. The documents, overall, are a bit hard to understand and are not user-friendly.

I have used previous versions of Microsoft Visual Test Studio including the 2010 and 2008 editions. I switched to the 2015 version because of the new features.

I would say that the initial setup is fine, although I would rate it a medium level of complexity. Deploying this solution is not very quick, which is something that can be improved.

I was also considering Alteryx but I chose this solution because of the cost.

Assistance Engineer at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable and user friendly with a straightforward setup
  • "The solution is very stable; there's nothing in relation to stability to complain about."
  • "The database administration could be better; you should be able to choose new tools with the development environment in Visual Studio. It could be easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily write small applications for windows with it; we also use it for database administration.

What is most valuable?

The main interface is very user-friendly. The system overall is very useable. If you have to start a new project or new area, the system and the tutorial are great.

What needs improvement?

The database administration could be better; it would be nice if we could do every design related task also in Visual Studio what is possible in SQL Server Management Studio.

I've been using the solution for 20 years.

The solution is very scalable.

I've never reached out to technical support. Typically, if I run into problems, I look for answers in the forums.

The initial setup was straightforward.

If you are buying the solution, it's quite pricey. They also offer a community version, which is a good approach.

What other advice do I have?

At the start, many years ago, it was not the best solution, but now it is the best in a technical development environment. The solution is installed directly onto PCs. We're using the 2017 version; the last few years the solution hasn't changed too much.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

It's my favorite tool, I haven't used anything else which is better than Visual Studio. I feel that I'm not using all of the capabilities so I'm content with the level of features on offer. In the latest versions, you can also develop and rate applications with it so it's really quite a complete product.

In terms of advice I would give to others, I'd recommend that they go through the tutorials to get used to the solution and its offerings.

Senior Business Intelligence Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install and the userface is very user-friendly
  • "The setup is easy and straightforward."
  • "The data flow can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This program is client-based and it allows you to build codes. So it's not like a product that you deploy for your customers either on Cloud or on-premise. This product is for developers, not for businesses.

What is most valuable?

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I particularly use some templates around BI that are called SQL servers, data, and tools, and they are an extension to Visual Studio. Some of them are like integration services that would benefit from some improvements, but I think Microsoft has other things that they might want to improve first. I would, however, like to see an improvement in the data flow.

I have been using Visual Studio Test Professional for 18 years now.

The program is pretty stable. Sometimes it crashes but it depends on your hardware. The last few versions have been pretty stable.

Microsoft programs are usually very easy and straightforward to install. It's constantly being updated by Microsoft but there is usually no need to get help from a consultant. Any developer should be able to do the installation themselves.

I know that for Java or for other programs like Python, you can use multiple development tools or client tools. But in Microsoft's case, I've never heard of someone using anything else than Visual Studio Test Professional

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution and on a scale from one to ten, I will rate it a nine. In the next release I would like to see better data flow.

GhamdanAl-Anesi - PeerSpot reviewer
Member of the Board & Co-Founder, Executive Manager at Networld Systems
Improves code quality and development time, and technical support is good
  • "Code testing is the most valuable feature of this solution for developing software."
  • "Enhancing the support for web application testing and load performance would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We do a lot of in-house custom software development. We develop these applications for our customers, and we do the integration with solutions from different vendors. We primarily use this solution for integrating different applications.

We have an on-premises deployment, although we are in the process of migrating to the cloud both for us and our customers.

What is most valuable?

Code testing is the most valuable feature of this solution for developing software. The unit testing functionality is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with the main product, Visual Studio.

The tools for unit testing can be improved, giving a better ability to manage tests.

I would like to see more plugins.

We have been using this solution for between one and two years.

There are some bugs, and sometimes it runs very slowly, but nothing that is major. We expect these things will be straightened out in future releases.

Scalability with this solution is fine. For our purposes, it is perfectly ok.

We have about fifteen software developers using this solution.

We have requested a few tickets from technical support and the feedback is good.

Prior to this solution, we used third-party tools. Once we used this solution it was much better because of the higher level of integration with the main product, as well as the overall code management.

The initial setup of this solution is pretty straightforward.

Our team is very experienced with Visual Studio, so it took them maybe one week to get everything in order.

Our in-house team implemented this solution.

Two administrators are enough for deployment and maintenance.

We did not evaluate other options. This solution was released while we were using third-party tools, and once that happened we knew that we had to use it because of the integration.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody researching this solution is that this tool is a must. It is very helpful for testing code. It will end up costing them less than what they are paying with third-party applications, partly because of the integration that is available.

The developers have to be familiar with Visual Studio Test Professional because they will know how to organize the code such that the testing comes out with results that are meaningful to them.

Overall, this is a very good product.

Mohamed Sadek - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead DevOps and Release Engineer-L2 at ITWORX
Good integration between the management data and the test cases
  • "We are satisfied with technical support. Communicating with them is very simple. We also have a lot of online resources to check and to study and to train our team with. The documentation is very clear and readily available."
  • "The service right now is far too expensive. You need to pay per user."

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features, including the integration between the management data and the test cases. You have the ability to link them with the requirements and user stories. You also have the ability to track the running of the test cases and the reporting of the results of each test case. You are able to send some reports via dashboard control to see the status of the overall testing across specific requirements or specific user stories. It enables us to connect the bugs and the cases to the requirements.

What needs improvement?

The service right now is far too expensive. You need to pay per user.

The solution needs more reports and more dashboards as well as more details for each originated spare test case or best guess in test cases.

There are still some issues in the results. There is an extension integrated with the test manager that enables you to run manual testing and to track the progress of any scenarios you've written in the Test Professional. We have noticed some bugs in this extension and this is the core of running the manual test cases. These bugs need to be resolved. They have to enhance or to add more stability to this extension specifically.

I've been using the solution for around two years.

The solution is very stable. We didn't find any issues regarding the stability or the maintenance of the system.

The solution is very scalable. The main concern is the cost. Even if it were implemented on-premises, the cost of the license is too high. Currently, we have around 20 to 25 users, all of which are engineers. We are planning to expand this number; we need to publicize this system across the organization.

We are satisfied with technical support. Communicating with them is very simple. We also have a lot of online resources to check and to study and to train our team with. The documentation is very clear and readily available.

The initial setup was straightforward. The cloud service allows you to subscribe to use it. We also have an on-premises model and it was very simple to install and implement that as well.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

For the cloud services option, you buy a subscription per account or per user. This costs around $52 a month per person.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the cloud deployment model, on Azure cloud services as well as an on-premises deployment model.

We have around 100 quality engineers that we eventually want to get on the system. To do this, we need to apply a test specific license for using and testing the modules in a real case or in TFS. I don't know how much this will ultimately cost, but it's not cheap. We are a partner with Microsoft, so we are eligible for some free license-related testing. We're using the on-premises deployment model for this. They do require some subscriptions for cloud services with limited accounts as well.

The highest value for this product is the integration. Everything is tracked, everything in your software lifecycle can be integrated. Data can be added. You can track and monitor and make some reports and dashboards across your project to get more details as well as more accurate data about day to day activities done on your project. It's very useful.

Before using Visual Studio Test Professional, we could not imagine that we could track certain types of or large amounts of data for the testing team. We were so focused on the development and issues and bugs without linking them with testing. Now we use testing data and test management to test the plans and to link everything with the requirements and the project lifecycle.

I would rate this solution nine out of ten.

Thangavel Sundaram - PeerSpot reviewer
Test Manager/ QA Consultant at Aspire Systems
It needs to be independent and user-friendly

What is most valuable?

TFS and MTM.

How has it helped my organization?

I haven't worked with any real projects, but did some R&D using TFS and MTM. MTM is very good for maintaining the test plan, test suite and all. Can link automation scripts with existing manual test cases.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be independent and user-friendly (cannot link automation scripts from MTM, should link the scripts by opening visual studio).

Around two years.

Nothing specific.

I felt it was bit slow (May be it depends on the server memory size(?).

Nothing specific.

A seven out of 10.

A seven out of 10

Just for some analysis.

A little bit complex setting test agents and controllers.

Not through a vendor team.

No ROI since it is just for R&D.

Costly, but effective

Any other automation tool that supports C#.

it_user318018 - PeerSpot reviewer
Program Change Control at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
We can now store our sources securely, but I would like to see a flowchart-type diagram.

Valuable Features

• Source Control
  • TFS

Improvements to My Organization

Source Control stores our sources securely and TFS assists in tracking our issues.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see a flowchart type diagram available to summarize the History tab, auditors would love this.

Use of Solution

I've used it for six years.

Very good.

Very good.

It's pretty straightforward.

Implementation Team

In-house implementation; just keep it simple.

Download our free Functional Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Micro Focus, Ranorex, and more!