IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Symantec Privileged Access Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Privileged Access Manager is #10 ranked solution in top Privileged Access Management (PAM) tools. PeerSpot users give Symantec Privileged Access Manager an average rating of 6 out of 10. Symantec Privileged Access Manager is most commonly compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Symantec Privileged Access Manager vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Symantec Privileged Access Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Privileged Access Management (PAM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Symantec Privileged Access Manager?

CA Privileged Access Manager is a simple-to-deploy, automated, proven solution for privileged access management in physical, virtual and cloud environments. It enhances security by protecting sensitive administrative credentials such as root and administrator passwords, controlling privileged user access, proactively enforcing policies and monitoring and recording privileged user activity across all IT resources.  It includes CA PAM Server Control (previously CA Privileged Identity Manager) for fine-grained protection of critical servers

Symantec Privileged Access Manager was previously known as CA PAM, Xceedium Xsuite, CA Privileged Access Manager.

Symantec Privileged Access Manager Customers

NEOVERA, Telesis, eSoft

Symantec Privileged Access Manager Video

Symantec Privileged Access Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Privileged Access Manager pricing:
"The version we are using is affordable compared to BeyondTrust, which is maybe three to four times as expensive, but it depends on the features."

Symantec Privileged Access Manager Reviews

System Administrator at Alghanim Industries
Allows IT and consultants to access the infrastructure environment but needs more security and better support
  • "It's easy to use and easy to configure."
  • "The response time for support could be faster. Some features should be added: cloud-based, VPN-less, more secure, and it should be adjusted in a hybrid environment."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to give access to the infrastructure environment to IT people and consultants. Access to the servers is only through PAM. One of the reasons to use a PAM is to manage Linux and Windows passwords, so it takes care of those accounts. As global admins, there are six people working on this solution, but I'm the only person managing it as an admin. It's currently on-prem.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use and easy to configure. Compared to BeyondTrust, it's a little complicated.

What needs improvement?

The response time for support could be faster. Some features should be added: cloud-based, VPN-less, more secure, and it should be adjusted in a hybrid environment. This solution is out of support now, so we are moving to BeyondTrust. With BeyondTrust, we have a dedicated team working on those products that is specialized and easily understands our environment. It should have cloud features. One of the reasons we are using BeyondTrust is that we are going away from the VPNs. BeyondTrust doesn't require a VPN.

I have been using this solution for about six years.
Privileged Access Management (PAM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, CyberArk, ARCON and others in Privileged Access Management (PAM). Updated: June 2022.
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The performance is fine. It's stable. We have been using this solution for many years, and there are no issues at all. It can be slow because it's a Java-based product, so it requires a good amount of bandwidth to work with. It's a Java client, which required more CPU and RAM, and it required a good amount of bandwidth to start.

It's not scalable, which is another reason we're moving. We can have BeyondTrust in Azure, AWS, and have hybrid connectivity.

Technical support isn't good. If you escalate to a higher level or open up T1 cases, they reply back after two or three days. The response time is not good.

Initial setup was very straightforward. It's basically a hardware appliance. It's a software appliance, but it's a hard-coded appliance. It's just a black and white screen, and it has everything inside. BeyondTrust is a Windows-based server, and they usually harden the machine and have their own patches on it, even though it's a Windows machine, so we can easily log into it. With the current solution, it's very difficult to log in. It's just a black and white screen, and you need a support account to log in onto it. It feels more secure. It's a shell, and the database is embedded. But with BeyondTrust, it's SQL-based and Windows-based, so it's vulnerable. When we first set up the solution, it was only a few endpoints to give access to the vendors. Now, it's around 400-500 machines. It required a lot of maintenance. There were a lot of new patches and new versions of the appliance, and then the appliances would move out of support very quickly, which is another reason we are moving to BeyondTrust. At the moment, we are using the version which is very stable, but it is out of support within six to seven months. They keep asking you to upgrade to the new version, which is challenging. Once we upgraded, we had a lot of issues that support couldn't fix.

We took help from a local vendor through their global support.

The version we are using is affordable compared to BeyondTrust, which is maybe three to four times as expensive, but it depends on the features. We are using PAM, which is almost three years old. Feature-wise, there's a gap of three years. BeyondTrust is the latest release, and it has all the features, which we require. There is a price difference.

We are moving to BeyondTrust.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 5 out of 10. I wouldn't recommend this solution because the support isn't good, and the response time isn't good. It's also not on the Gartner report anymore.

Engineer at a university with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Great features that provide comprehensive coverage of what's required for the PAM solution
  • "Comprehensive coverage of the required features for the PAM solution."
  • "The management console could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients are generally enterprise businesses, mainly in the financial sectors. We are resellers and I'm head of the security business unit.

What is most valuable?

The best features are the comprehensive coverage of the required features for the PAM solution like a credential vault, a session recording, an endpoint agent, security analytics. All those things.

What needs improvement?

I think the management console could be improved. I have just watched a demo video for the management console and I think it may need to be simplified. I haven't yet had hands-on experience with the solution so it's difficult to comment on possible additional features.

I've been using this solution for two months.

The stability looks okay.

Scalability seems to be fine.

I haven't used the support because I've relied on the documentation until now. I think there could be some improvement with that.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that anyone thinking of using this solution carry out a proof of concept first.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free Privileged Access Management (PAM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, CyberArk, ARCON, and more!
Updated: June 2022