IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is #28 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise an average rating of 8 out of 10. Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is most commonly compared to Symantec Endpoint Security: Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise vs Symantec Endpoint Security.
What is Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise?

Endpoint Security Enterprise focuses on advanced prevention for traditional endpoints and modern mobile devices. To include attack surface reduction capabilities and detection and response technologies, check out Endpoint Security Complete.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise Video

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise pricing:
  • "The license for Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is paid, but there is a trial for 60 days."
  • "The cost of the solution is reasonable."
  • "The price of the solution is very low. There is an annual subscription to use the solution."
  • Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise Reviews

Sr. Consultant, Cyber Security at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Proactive threat protection, simple implementation, but support could improve
    • "The most valuable features of Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise are the proactive threat protection and the normal spyware protection which they offer in addition to catching standard threats. It all works well for us even without an EDR."
    • "Symantec is selling Endpoint Detection Response as a different solution. If it was incorporated in this solution it would be a good thing. This is what the other vendors are doing, such as CrowdStrike. They offer Endpoint Protection(EPP) and Endpoint Detection and Response(EDR) in the same product. If Symantec had something similar, it would be good for customers, they would not need to purchase two different products and then integrate them. They can have a single agent doing two tasks."

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of government and non-government customers here in UAE who normally use Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise. Most of the deployments are on-premise. There is a counterpart, but the problem is with a few customers don't want the data to go to the cloud. There is a Symantec Endpoint Security service, which is the same as the protection manager on-premise, but it's on the cloud. Generally, people prefer building their own virtual environment. They prefer hosting everything on-premise, to allow them to have more control. Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise provides our customers with needed signature-based AV. In addition, they have built-in IPS, Sonar, and a lot of other technologies that, traditionally, Symantec technology provides.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution solves the requirement of my organization. Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is a basic solution, it's a standard EV, with a few more features.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise are the proactive threat protection and the normal spyware protection which they offer in addition to catching standard threats. It all works well for us even without an EDR.

What needs improvement?

Symantec is selling Endpoint Detection Response as a different solution. If it was incorporated in this solution it would be a good thing. This is what the other vendors are doing, such as CrowdStrike. They offer Endpoint Protection(EPP) and Endpoint Detection and Response(EDR) in the same product. If Symantec had something similar, it would be good for customers, they would not need to purchase two different products and then integrate them. They can have a single agent doing two tasks.
    Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise
    April 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2022.
    598,634 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise for approximately eight years.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is quite stable. we have had it for a long time and people have faith in it.  We have not heard a lot of complaints from our customers regarding the stability.

The scalability is something that they have built-in to the solution because you can use multiple replication partners. They have a concept of replication partners where, when you want to scale up or if you want to have multiple nodes, you can create multiple replication partners in multiple databases. Most of my customers are using this concept where they have multiple sites, such as a production site, where they have replication already. You can create policies in one region and you can replicate them across multiple regions. The administrators use the solution regularly, but for the end-users, it is working by default. We have approximately 25 customers and each has more than 1000 licenses.

The standard support from Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is good. However, there is a separate vertical within Broadcom or Symantec, which we connect with for a custom white list. We had a custom application, which was being detected as a threat where it shouldn't have.  The time required for us to contact Symantec, to mark the application as benign takes a very long time. They have a very long procedure, that should be shortened, it would be good for us. We've already given the suggestion to Broadcom to do it.

The implementation of Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is traditional, it's not very complicated. They have a very simple centralized solution, which consists of a manager, database, and clients, it's very simple. Deployment of this product doesn't take very long. If everything goes well, it can be done in under a week, even the most complex implementations. The agent rollouts take time, but building the infrastructure can be done in a week.

We push some of the deployment responsibility to the customer because they have their own solutions. Some may have Desktop Sentinel or SCCM, it depends on what kind of deployment products they have. Although, this Symantec comes with its own, deployment tool. If the customer doesn't have a deployment tool this solution has the capability to deploy agents, it is in their manager management console. The administrator is going to do daily maintenance activities.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as Kaspersky and CrowdStrike.

What other advice do I have?

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is a hassle-free solution and people are looking for a quick, traditional AV this solution is a good option. They have been in the market for a very long time and they have the maximum number of signatures, such as Kaspersky. They have a competitive edge over the other vendors in the market, at least from a historical point of view, they have a very big database. These days the traditional AV doesn't suffice. You need to have that advanced functionality that comes with a solution, such as CrowdStrike. It has everything in one solution, you don't have to purchase multiple solutions and have the problem of integrating all of them together. If can have one solution which is lightweight, doesn't disturb the end-users, causes minimum issues, you should choose that particular solution. I rate Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise a seven out of ten.

Global Chief Information Security Officer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Good basic protection at a decent price but should have more details reporting
    • "The solution is very cheap."
    • "In the past, I experienced companies that protected themselves with Symantec, suffering some attacks."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the virus shield, the firewall portion, and have the virus and spyware protection installed. It's used for the most part for security purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is providing our organization with the necessary minimum level of protection against malware, spyware, and some behaviors on the user side.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very cheap. It's the cheapest option and delivers the most basic protection we need.

What needs improvement?

I prefer other antiviral solutions. This isn't the best option, beyond the price.

I prefer solutions like Kaspersky which provides me with a better understanding of our environment. Symantec needs more detailed information. It would help with compliance. There are a lot of constraints using SEP.

In the past, I experienced companies that protected themselves with Symantec, suffering some attacks. Other solutions had better levels of protection.

SEP can run on each and every OS. That said, Mac is a fragmented one. Sometimes there are applications running on the Mac environment and we find that SEP is collapsing, so it's a pain point right now. It should work to be more stable within Mac environments.

I've used the solution since I've been at this organization, which has been about two or so years now.

I'm not operating and managing the tools, so I have no visibility on the reliability and general ability of this solution.

From my end, it's working well on my computer and seems stable in terms of my own personal usage.

We have w0,000 endpoints across the globe. Each and every one is protected with Symantec Endpoint Protection, unless a client is requesting to do it in a different way. The product is used regularly. It simply runs as necessary in the background.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support as it's not an aspect of the solution I cover. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I'm also familiar with Kaspersky and I have noticed it's better for compliance and provides better details. However, Symantec is cheaper.

When I was a transaction processor, I used Kaspersky due to the services they provide. Their tool was much wider than the previously used Symantec Endpoint Protection, however, that was four or five years ago. Therefore, my experience with the version of Symantec compared with Kaspersky is not relevant anymore. During the last five years, both solutions have improved and changed a lot.

I was not involved in the initial setup and I was not there when it was originally implemented.

I don't handle any aspect of the licensing or billing of the product. I can't speak to the costs involved.

That said, it's my understanding that we use it as an organization due to the fact that the pricing is relatively reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

My organization is a customer and an end-user.

I don't know which version of the solution we are running in our environment. I am the governance lead and I'm not dealing with the specific technology parts. I'm not following which version we are using unless I have to provide this information to an audit.

I would advise any user to, before purchasing any solution, do a proof of concept. When you have the proof of concept, the users are able to understand how the system will behave in their own environment and this is critical.

If a user decides to do a POC, it's also very important to include each unique environment during the process. For example, if they have a Macintosh environment or some other special kind of service or application that may interact with the solution, they need to do the test. That's universally good advice, not just for Symantec.

I would rate the solution at a five out of ten with the caveat that I am not technically involved in the solution. I'm not very hands-on with it.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise
    April 2022
    598,634 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Suresh Bora - PeerSpot reviewer
    Project Manager & Tech Lead at iConnect IT Business Solutions DMCC
    Identifies and mitigates endpoint threats; stable and scalable, with machine learning and device control features
    • "Endpoint protection solution with machine learning, device control, and application control features. It is scalable and stable."
    • "An area for improvement for Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise would be its firewall features, in particular, this solution needs to provide more firewall controls."

What is our primary use case?

We use Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise for making sure users, wherever they are, are getting antivirus updates.

We also use this solution to manage all PCs in terms of getting their security patches updated, and we can do this from the management console.

Device control is another use case for Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise, e.g. we can block user devices such as USBs or external storage devices. We can also block or allow some applications to run on the endpoints. We can also keep track of the patches, e.g. Microsoft patches, antivirus patches, etc., and find out if they are up-to-date.

We use this solution for identifying endpoint threats and mitigating those threats.

These are all straightforward and simple use cases for Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise.

What is most valuable?

The features I like most about Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is its basic antivirus features and everything it offers. e.g. the scan engine is much better now compared to the previous versions because it became smarter.

The number one feature I like about this solution is machine learning, and the number two feature would be the application and device control features.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement for Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise would be its firewall features, in particular, this solution needs to provide more control over the firewall.

I've been using Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise for more than four years.

I find Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise stable.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is scalable.

I find the support for Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise satisfactory.

Installing this solution was simple and straightforward. It didn't take a whole day, e.g. it didn't even take half a day.

We implemented Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise in-house. We are system integrators.

The license for Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is paid. It's not available for free, but there is a trial for 60 days. It's a paid solution.

I was able to evaluate Trend Micro and McAfee.

What other advice do I have?

I have experience with endpoint protection solutions. I have used Symantec (Broadcom), particularly Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise, Trend Micro, Acronis Data Protection, and McAfee EDR. These are the main antivirus solutions I've worked with.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise can be deployed both on-premises and on cloud. I'm using its latest version.

Deployment of this solution only requires one person, e.g. an admin will do.

I'm recommending this solution to others who may want to start using it.

I'm rating Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise nine out of ten.

Our company is both an end user and a partner for Symantec.

Hybrid Cloud
    Ahmed Hawana - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network and Security Engineer at IDSC
    Secure with a good user interface and the ability to expand as needed
    • "The solution works well overall."
    • "The solution could always be more stable and more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its antivirus capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well overall.

You can scale the product.

The solution is secure.

The product has a very good user interface.

What needs improvement?

As an end-user, I can't really speak to anything that may be missing from a technical standpoint. It works for me and it is secure and that's enough.

The solution could always be more stable and more user-friendly.

I've worked at my company for two years, and have been dealing with it for at least that long. The company has used it for longer.

I can't accurately speak to the stability as I don't have to deal with it on a daily basis. I can't say if it crashes or freezes a lot or if it has a lot of bugs or glitches. That said, stability is important and it could always be a bit better.

The solution is scalable and a company can expand it as needed.

We have 1,000 users on the solution currently. If we get more end users, we do increase the usage.

As an end-user, I typically contact our administrator if I run into issues. I do not directly deal with technical support.

I may occasionally need to reach out n order to deal with some patches. That's about it.

The company is going to another vendor next year. They did use a different product before Symantec, however, I cannot say which product it was.

I did not handle the installation process. I'm not sure if it was easy or difficult to handle.

In our organization, there is a single person that handles Symantec management.

I wasn't involved in the installation process and am unsure if the company had someone who assisted them in the implementation process.

I don't deal directly with the licensing process. I can't speak about the exact price.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. The cloud version automatically updates.

I'm just an end-user of the product.

I would rate the solution a ten out of ten.

Divyang Pastagiya - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principle Consultant at Infosec Ventures
    Secures endpoints and provides protection against malware; simple and scalable, but needs more stability
    • "Simple and very scalable solution that provides endpoint security and malware protection."
    • "Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise used to be a stable product, but now that aspect needs improvement. They also used to provide good technical support, but now not so much, so that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is a typical solution that provides security on your endpoints, and gives protection from malware.

What is most valuable?

What we liked the most about Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise was its simplicity.

Our company started using it even before I joined, so I don't know what was the drive at that point in time, but Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise has been a leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for the category "Endpoint Protection Platform" or EPP. We are closely following Gartner's recommendations, but Symantec got acquired, and after the acquisition, their technical support was not very good, so we moved from Symantec to CrowdStrike.

What needs improvement?

What I would like to see in the next release of Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is more stability.

We've used Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise for 17 years, and we've used it in the last year.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise used to be a stable product, but in the last three years, it went from excellent to poor, in terms of stability.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise has very good scalability.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise used to provide good technical support, but after they were acquired, their support changed and wasn't as good.

We used CrowdStrike.

What other advice do I have?

My focus is on security. We are on the journey towards the right security. We're choosing the right security solutions. Currently, we are finalizing and choosing between two security solutions, e.g. identity management solutions that we are still evaluating.

We used the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise, and it was on-premises.

For the deployment of this solution, if we need to roll it out to our entire organization, it would take at least one and a half months. We only needed two to three people to take care of the deployment and maintenance of Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise.

We used to have 800 users of this solution within our organization, but now we have zero users.

I'm not recommending this solution to other people.

I'm rating Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise six out of ten.

Octavian Enache - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Officer at TBI Bank
    Difficult to find what you need; stable with good customer service

What is our primary use case?

The solution provides security protection against threats. I'm an administrator.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable with good customer service.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not user-friendly, it's difficult to find what you need, it takes time and you really need to know where to search. I'd like them to implement an easier way to search data.

I've been using this solution for three or four years.

The solution is stable although I hope we'll move on from it and use an EDR product or something similar.

I don't have direct contact with customer support but my colleagues find them to be responsive and work hard at offering solutions.

I wasn't around for the implementation. We have over 1,000 users and there are servers and other machines using the product. If the company grows, it's possible we'll expand the use of Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution five out of 10.

Shantanu  Kadlak - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Support Engineer at Jainam Technologies
    Easy setup, responsive support, and useful application

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is the application. Additionally, they are adding features frequently.

What needs improvement?

In the future, Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise should improve the firewall and documentation.

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise for approximately 10 years.

I have found Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise to be stable.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is scalable.

Our clients are typically medium-sized businesses.

The technical support from Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise was great.

I did not use another solution previously.

The setup of Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise was easy. The time it takes for the implementation is approximately one month.

The cost of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise a nine out of ten.

DGM at Bharat Electronics Limited
    Simple implementation, inexpensive, and priced well

What is our primary use case?

We are using Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise for vulnerabilities, it is an antivirus solution. Our company needs to have a security solution.

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise for approximately four years.

We have 10,000 people using this solution in my company.

I have contacted support and the speed of resolution could be faster.

Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise is a simple solution to implement. It took us half a day to complete the process.

What other advice do I have?

The company does not exist anymore. We have switched to another solution.

I rate Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise an eight out of ten.

Download our free Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: April 2022