IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Spiceworks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Spiceworks is #8 ranked solution in top IT Asset Management tools, #22 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software, and #36 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give Spiceworks an average rating of 6 out of 10. Spiceworks is most commonly compared to Zabbix: Spiceworks vs Zabbix. Spiceworks is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Spiceworks Buyer's Guide

Download the Spiceworks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Spiceworks?
From network inventory and network monitoring to help desk software, and mobile device management (MDM) to cloud services detection, Spiceworks helps you manage everything about your IT workday from one easy place.
Spiceworks Customers
Broward Center for the Performing Arts, Symantec, Webroot, EMC, Pertino
Spiceworks Video

Archived Spiceworks Reviews (more than two years old)

Lewis Anderson - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Support at ProCook
Good inventory and helpdesk functionality
  • "The most valuable features are the inventory and personalization."
  • "Having an integrated asset management tool, where I can plug in things that are offline, would be good."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for the Spiceworks Inventory system, as well as for helpdesk-related stuff. I have used it to find information to fix various issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the inventory and personalization.

What needs improvement?

Having an integrated asset management tool, where I can plug in things that are offline, would be good. If I have taken a device off of the network then it would be nice to have it included in the same system, and not somewhere separately. That is the only thing that I have to look for outside of this solution.

I have been using Spiceworks for about four years.
Spiceworks
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Spiceworks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have not had any issues with stability.

This solution does not seem to have any trouble scaling up, or down. I am the only person who is currently using Spiceworks in the company.

I am very satisfied with the community support. I find most of my solutions there.

Prior to using Spiceworks, I used a local tool. I switched because it has the ability to scan the network and find devices. I just have to punch in the credentials for the different devices and it will go off and do all of the scans for you. It will also provide all of the information about purchase dates and warranties.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is nice and easy to follow.

What other advice do I have?

Spiceworks is a system that I recommend for both inventory and helpdesk, although it is good in its entirety. Other than support for integrated asset management, I cannot think of additional features that I would require. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
WaelQenawy - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Customer Relations Manager at Qootco
A stable solution with a straightforward setup and excellent technical support
  • "The solution can find all asset details automatically, whether it's a Mac address, computer name, IP address, models, etc. It's very helpful."
  • "It would be nice to have remote access to the solution via a tablet. They also need remote control from a PC. Right now, to complete the technical support process, you have to have a tool to access the PC, and check the problems."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution so that we have all of the information about our IT assets, and network management. Spiceworks has good tools for that.

What is most valuable?

The solution can find all asset details automatically, whether it's a Mac address, computer name, IP address, models, etc. It's very helpful.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to connect multi Spiceworks servers together to get all of the information across different sites. Currently, Spiceworks works only on a local site, not multiple sites.

It would be nice to have remote access to the solution via a tablet. They also need remote control from a PC. Right now, to complete the technical support process, you have to have a tool to access the PC, and check the problems.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable.

Technical support is very good. I'd say we're 95% satisfied with it.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the community edition of the solution.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Spiceworks
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohamed  Abdelwahab - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Project Team Leader at Egyptian Fertilizers Company
Great asset management features in a free solution that's easy to set up
  • "The solution is very stable. It's reliable and efficient."
  • "I would like the solution to allow for more direct interaction with computers. I can open tickets and I can see their status, but I can't interact directly with the computers themselves."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for asset management of our asset collection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the asset inventory.

What needs improvement?

I would like the solution to allow for more direct interaction with computers. I can open tickets and I can see their status, but I can't interact directly with the computers themselves.

It would be ideal if they could add contract management features into the solution in a future release.

Regarding Contract management, I'd like to register all my support/renewal contracts and reminders for renewal.

I've been using the solution for about three years.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable and efficient.

The scalability is okay, but it could be improved. We have about 800 users currently. We don't plan to increase usage at this time.

We've never reached out to technical support, so I don't have any experience with them.

Previously, we used Manage Engine. It was a bit slow, and a little bit old, which is why we switched.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment typically takes an hour or less. You only need one person to deploy the solution and two people for maintenance.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

The solution is free. We're not paying for any licensing or other costs.

I didn't evaluate other options before choosing Spiceworks.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment solution.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

it_user381603 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Technology at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
​We are able to escalate tickets, or shuffle tickets via e-mail, instead of having to login at a location to route things.
  • "Tickets by e-mail, with actions by hastag."
  • "The SNMP sniffer requires a lot of work to get right."

What is most valuable?

Tickets by e-mail, with actions by hastag.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to escalate tickets, or shuffle tickets via e-mail, instead of having to login at a location to route things. Clients know immediately what is going on with a ticket.

What needs improvement?

The SNMP sniffer requires a lot of work to get right.

I've been using Spiceworks personally for over seven years, five in my current environment.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues encountered with the stability.

There were no issues encountered with the scalability.

It's great.

It's great.

I've used and evaluated others - Spiceworks is the best bang for the buck.

Straightforward, aside from the SNMP config.

In-house. I installed and set up.

As a free solution, it has provided us a huge benefit, with the only expense being a virtual machine off of an existing cluster.

It's free.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to set up the SNMP agents to match up with the hardware you know you have on your network. It is a really great tool when it comes time to inventory or track equipment uptime/age.

Spiceworks Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The stability of the program is remarkably good, but it gets bogged down in an enterprise environment with over 2000 endpoints.
  • "Helpdesk and inventory are both equally valuable, and they form the true core of the product."
  • "They've also tried to integrate it with social logins, like Twitter and LinkedIn, and that type of login authentication has no place in a corporate application."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

I don't have a specific organization at this time. I was a SpiceTrainer, and I helped other organizations deploy and manage their Spiceworks installations. When I began using the product, I was working for a company that had no helpdesk, and it was chaos. I was supposed to support 250 end users, and about 500 endpoints across four states. On my first day, a rainy one, I hadn't even removed my coat before a user was begging for help with a fax application. In less than six months, I had everyone in my division sending tickets and we were handling, on average, about 180 tickets per month. This was a drastic change from “just send an email” type of support and everyone was happier for it.

What needs improvement?

Recently, they deployed a login process that links to their online community. While I understand that change, I don't agree with it. They've also tried to integrate it with social logins, like Twitter and LinkedIn, and that type of login authentication has no place in a corporate application. Resources spent on this social aspect could have been used to fix the existing login to sync with AD for the IT users (it already syncs to AD for end users) and everyone would have been happier. This would have been especially good since Spiceworks has become more and more predominant for enterprise level IT instead of the SMB market that they started with. Taking that in to consideration, I also believe that their new CEO needs to take the application in a new direction and make it enterprise ready with performance and capabilities that can meet that environment. Right now, if you have >2000 endpoints in Spiceworks, you will probably hate using it just because it's so bogged down. I've done installations for clients that were in excess of 5,000 nodes and it's just dreadful. They may be edge cases for Spiceworks, but I see them becoming more prevalent as time wears on, especially if Spiceworks continues to dominate the IT landscape with their community.

I started using it in August 2008 when it was v3.1. New versions are released approximately every six months.

As a consultant doing installations professionally, I am almost exclusively hired to handle difficult installations. I work to train the IT group as I'm performing the install(s), and show them how to maintain it so that I'm not just “that Spiceworks guy.” I also do this because I hated it when a contractor would come in, set something up in my environment and then I was expected to maintain it without that contractor having communicated anything to me at all.

The stability of the program is remarkably good, with some exceptions. As I've noted, any installation in excess of 2500 nodes is going to be slow and it requires some extra work to maintain and configure. If you don't do it right, the application will perform poorly and crash. Similarly, there are plug-ins that you can add (written by IT pros) which may decrease reliability. Overall, however, I think it's very good. I wouldn't say perfect; my test install fails about twice a week and requires a service restart.

Spiceworks support is only surpassed by the baristas at Starbucks. If the support guys were allowed to do call outs, I'm sure they would, and I know they do on certain occasions. Their support is free, just like the application(s), and all email based. They really know the product and when they have a problem they can't fix, it gets logged and you can see the bugs in the community.

They are very technical, with many of their team having converted from being SysAdmins to doing support. They have to be on the ball; their clients are all IT pros!

I've used SCCM and it sucks. A lot. It took three months to configure/setup, and it didn't provide a good helpdesk solution. SCCM also doesn't manage non-Microsoft endpoints, so switches and routers were not tracked, and it was impossible to get a feel for how big the environment really was. The worst part was deploying an agent from SCCM to all MS endpoints; Spiceworks is agentless.

When I first set Spiceworks up, I did it on my laptop and ran through the wizard, getting the Inventory information done. It took a while to scan so I set it aside. It wasn't until a week later that I came back to it and realized what it had done with the couple of credentials I had supplied. I thought it was just a simple toy because of all the colors and icons, and here it had gathered my warranty information, models, serial numbers and more. That was when I really started digging in to it and began using it. Before the end of that month, users were submitting tickets and I was a happy, organized IT person.

When I deployed, the application was very basic. There were no consultants like me available. The community was small and Spiceworks had one person as their support group. The devs and founders would often respond to threads in the community. I didn't need any help. Now, the application has grown so much that I would highly recommend that any IT department with more than 3 people, or more than 2000 nodes to manage, contact someone like me (there's one other guy in Atlanta that does the same thing I do for Spiceworks consulting) before doing your installation. The training James and I can provide is invaluable and we'll make sure your database doesn't get horked up!

The product is free so the ROI is outstanding. The real concern on ROI isn't purchasing the application, or the server(s) it needs to live on. It's the time spent configuring and learning it, especially with some of the new quirks. The man-hours spent on configuration and solving scan errors can be very disheartening to management. To that end, I would say that a modern installation would have a good ROI, about 5/10, though it's possible to raise your ROI if management sends the IT team to a place like Spiceworld (the annual convention in Austin) or contact a SpiceTrainer. There are free “classes” online at www.SpiceworksUniversity.com, and they're great if you can focus on them.

The product is free! Get it now.

In addition to SCCM, we [former job] also checked TrackIT and Heat. Their price-point was too high.

What other advice do I have?

If you're a one-man IT shop, or the accidental IT pro (the CEO's cousin that hooked up an Xbox that one time and now you're in charge of 45 users), get some training on the product. Use the free stuff online at the very least. The same goes for the large IT shops with over people in the team. If you're in the latter position, get your company to hire someone to help with the install, especially for those larger environments. You'll be glad you did!

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I have been a SpiceTrainer since 2011 and I know many of the people that work at HQ as a result of this professional relationship.
Network Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Warnock, Tanner & Associates
As a centralized helpdesk solution, it's been a huge success for our account and IT managers in tracking open tickets, but I need a more powerful reporting tool.

What is most valuable?

Help Desk, Inventory, Purchases, Reports

How has it helped my organization?

We are a IT consulting firm for several companies and implemented SpiceWorks for a centralized help desk solution. Now each customer can submit a help desk ticket, it then is routed to a technician who then contacts the customer. We copy the customer, lead technician, and the account manager to not only close the communication gaps but to hold everyone responsible.

Reporting has been a huge success for our account managers on open tickets, for our IT manager on inventory, time spent on tickets and purchases for our invoicing, and etc.

Purchasing has also been very helpful keeping track of our many purchases. Both real time understanding what the status is on our purchase and to recall past purchases for price comparison or when you need to make the exact same purchase again.

What needs improvement?

Reporting for any application is a must. Where the reporting is very useful in SpiceWorks, I would like a more powerful reporting tool to better filter what I want and do not want. There are some built in filters, but a simple if-then ability would be incredibly helpful to narrow down my reports.

5 years

Deployment is easy but getting the full details on every networked component can be a challenge. The product has gotten better over the years but there are still some complexities you will more then likely struggle with. There is a client that can be installed to correct this however the client was designed for mobile devices and will categorize them as such by default.

Stability has been solid for all the years I have used this product.

We have taken this from a central location and expanded our reach over 8 different companies with around 1000 devices all reporting to one location. I have had no issues and dont foresee any as we continue to expand and install SpiceWorks at our remaining customers.

I have only used customer service twice and both times they were exceptional.

The initial setup is very easy.

The investment with SpiceWorks is your employee time. The product is free. Our ROI is based on the ability to provide our customers with not only better response times to issues but proactively. Using a product like SpiceWorks helps reveal needs or issues before they become critical. When there are needs for improvement we can bill for that time and look better because our customer networks run more stable.

This product is free.

What other advice do I have?

This is not a true managed service product as many might think at first glance. This product is awesome for help desk, inventory, purchasing and some monitoring. If you are looking for a full managed service product you will need to keep moving to a different solution such as LabTech.

Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
Charities and IT monitoring

The one thing charities often do not have  - vast amounts of disposable income for IT. In fact, they often don't have tiny amounts of income for IT. For some charities, they will have no budget at all. This can impact all aspects of IT. I've experienced expiring licensing, dodgy to non existent patching, ropey security...to name but a few things that kept me up at night. Okay, yes, this can happen anywhere, but it is very often present in charities <2mil.

How does this relate to Spiceworks? Spiceworks is a system monitoring tool that has a wealth of community created add-ons that can especially help organisations with limited funds to ensure their mission critical systems are running well. It is written in Ruby-on-Rails and specifically designed for Microsoft Windows. In 2013, Spiceworks was ranked #2 midsized business in the Austin American Statesman's Top Workplaces  (source: Wikipedia)

Some examples of plugins are:

• Subnet calculator
  • Dynamic Troubleshooting
  • License Manager
  • SQL Server monitor (your CRM will leverage a database)
  • Diskviewer - visual representation of your server and user disks (this can help ensure you're aware of space limitations)
  • License Manager (don't be caught out by expiring server warranties or AV licensing)
  • Rackspace control panel
  • QuickReports (this can help you present your information to the Board or SMT)
  • Bandwidth monitor
  • Windows Performance Monitor
  • IT Service Contracts

I used to it track what config the servers and users had, who had installed certain software - like dropbox - the data protection bane of an organisation -, server licensing, events on the server, and anything out of the ordinary. All of this information can be accessed via a dashboard that you can edit to show what you want.

Organise your assets

(Source: Spiceworks.com)

The ability to have all of this information in one place, for free, and have it run itself (with support from the Spiceworks community) was a godsend in an org that lacked resources. It also allowed me to visually demonstrate problems to senior managers - this is very handy when you are trying to explain something technical.

You can also manage the mobile devices on your network. This feeds into the current issue of policing BYOD. This was handy as it highlighted two Android devices connected to our network that shouldn't have been.

BYOD
BYOD

(Source: Spiceworks)

The final thing I found time saving and handy was the ability to run a network audit. Press a button, go and make a cup of tea/go into a meeting (depending on the size of your network and maybe the size of your meeting), come back and the report is ready on the dashboard. It's a real life saver for Board meetings where you could be quizzed about IT compliance.

This app does what it says on the tin with minimal fuss. It's a thumbs up for Spiceworks.

it_user381480 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​Tracking common issues has been improved.​​

Valuable Features

• Network
  • Helpdesk

Improvements to My Organization

Tracking common issues has been improved.

Room for Improvement

I don't really use anything besides the free stuff so I can't say. It does, however, require help-desk and minor server/firewall config XP experience to set up.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with its stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

I've never had to contact them.

I've never had to contact them.

It's straightforward, anybody with help-desk and minor server/firewall config XP could set this up.

Implementation Team

I did it myself after reading the FAQs on their website.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We use the free version.

Other Advice

Start with the free version for at least a month before deciding to buy add-ons.

Advanced Service Desk Agent at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
To be honest, it is better than nothing, but my experience gives me bad feedback for this product. This product is probably very good for a small structure.

What is most valuable?

The price, as it's free.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

In our environment, no real improvement. This product is probably very good for a small structure.

Personally more than one year, but my company has used it for three years.

No deployment is needed. Installation when you don’t have a problem is really easy.

Yes, too many. We tried it on a VM, but we had to reboot every 2 days. We migrated it on a real server, new installation, etc., but despite the fact that the server resources are really over-scaled (8GB ram, disk 15,000 rpm, etc.), we still have problems, slowness, stability, crashes, etc. The only positive is that we do not have to reboot every 2 days. It's sometimes 2 weeks before we have a problem.

I should admit that forums are very responsive, even if solutions are not always possible or if, like in the free world, some post/request remain abandoned sometimes for months.

I don't know the reason for change. We try now to convince our management to get a real pro product. Many arguments are available.

it_user381549 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

• Inventory
  • Ticketing

How has it helped my organization?

We use Spiceworks to inventory all of our workstations. We use a Dymo labeller to print both a bar-code and a QR code that links back to the Spiceworks URL for that device. Our techs can use the Spiceworks mobile app and their phones’ built-in camera to bring up all the details of a machine in under a minute.

What needs improvement?

The folks at Spiceworks are constantly expanding the capabilities of their product by partnering and integrating with other vendors. I would love for this trend to continue until Spiceworks has ability to act as an IDS/IPS system all in one. Alienvault alerts have recently been added that bring this vision closer to reality. I would also love to see performance monitoring (think Zabbix) capabilities as well.

We've used it for over four years.

We have no issues with the deployment.

We have no issues with the stability.

We had no issues with the scalability. As we’ve expanded, we’ve had to add additional resources to the Spiceworks VM. However, the latter is a very typical scenario when business growth causes the demands on a software application to increase.

10/10 - I haven’t had many issues over the years, but I do remember posting about having connectivity trouble with a Spiceworks remote agent. I received a timely response and the issue was ultimately resolved.

I evaluated Microsoft Service Manager and ZenDesk, but I settled on Spiceworks. The capabilities, ease of use and price point (free) made Spiceworks the obvious choice for us.

The installation was relatively straightforward. I do remember the process for adding an SSL certificate to be a little convoluted.

In house. I recommend dedicating a VM. Use standard ports, 80 and 443 for the webserver and leverage DNS to configure access to Spiceworks via a “user friendly” hostname.

ROI is almost immediate because Spiceworks is free and the only investment is time.

What other advice do I have?

The Spiceworks community is a great value add. It certainly helps our team to keep tabs on the industry as a whole. I encourage IT veterans and newbies alike to join and participate.

it_user381519 - PeerSpot reviewer
Research Associate at a media company with 51-200 employees
We set it up for use by different departments that had specific tracking needs and were able to meet those needs.​ It couldn't scale for our company.

Valuable Features

The customization of the service desk. We set it up for use by different departments that had specific tracking needs and were able to meet those needs.

Room for Improvement

The issue that we had, that caused us to stop using Spiceworks, was that it didn’t seem designed for a help desk of our scale, and we're a company with over 2500 employees.

Use of Solution

It was used for about a year or a year and a half, I think.

We had no deployment issues.

I don’t know the technical details, but I know that stability became a huge issue after about eight months especially as we began to become more sophisticated in how we used the system.

We had issues with scaling it for our company of over 2500 people.

I never really interacted with them.

I never really interacted with them.

I can’t speak about the technical side of the set-up, but the initial customizations were fairly straightforward.

Implementation Team

We didn't use it in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The major “selling” point for Spiceworks was that it was free.

Other Advice

It worked for what we needed it to do (short term at least) and had good customization, but in the end it wasn't the right fit for our organization. Perform a lot of testing.

it_user381501 - PeerSpot reviewer
Starlan Consulting Services at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features are change management and inventory. There are too many security and resource issues.

What is most valuable?

• Change management
  • Inventory

What needs improvement?

It's got great potential, but too many security and resource issues. It needs lower resource consumption at the workstation level, reduced network traffic, better device discovery and identification.

We've used it since 2009.

There were issues with the deployment.

There were issues with the stability.

There were issues with the scalability.

Pretty good, but some issues were unresolvable.

Pretty good, but some issues were unresolvable.

I didn't pick it, it was done by senior IT management.

It's fairly straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Perform a thorough test and mind your resource usage.

System and Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
It has improved response times to staff as well as providing an audit trail. I would like to see an easier means to customize the user interface.

What is most valuable?

In addition to being free, it has a simple modular design with a lot of extensibility – although the plug-in format has recently changed and it has been difficult getting information on the new process.

How has it helped my organization?

When I began my current professional role, there was no formal method for tracking user requests. Exchange Public Folders were used and the promise of SCCM integration was being made. We very quickly needed a low-to-no cost way to improve accountability and tracking of open incidents/requests. Spiceworks offered everything we needed and more, and has improved response times to staff as well as providing an audit trail and growing database of information that can be referenced when similar problems arise.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an easier means to customize the user interface, and would gladly pay a reasonable licensing fee if this were available as an additional feature. Attachment handling within a ticket could be improved; only one item can be attached at a time unless email is used. Finally, a way to strip selected blocks of text/images from emails would be huge; graphic attachments in email signatures create a mess in the UI.

We've used it for three and a half years.

The deployment is excellent.

The stability is excellent, but it can be affected by poorly written 3rd party add-ins, so beware.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

Tech support - for a free product - is amazing and responsive. They treat me better than some vendors who have expensive maintenance agreements in place.

I have used several ticketing systems in my career, including CA.

Set-up is pretty simple – configuring email is probably the most complex piece.

I personally handled the implementation. Create a special mailbox/mail account specifically for your help desk and let Spiceworks handle the rest. It’s good!

There was no investment, and we did not attempt to measure the cost savings resulting from the implementation.

It's free.

What other advice do I have?

Spiceworks does wonders for a free product. It’s ad supported, so watch for that. It is also flexible and customizable and probably does everything you need. Support is great, and that frankly was a surprise.

it_user375372 - PeerSpot reviewer
CIO at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
The ease of using the ticketing system has formalized or project and process work.

What is most valuable?

The help desk ticketing system is of the most value to us, also the knowledge-base and network scanning is used often.

How has it helped my organization?

The ease of using the ticketing system has formalized or project and process work a great deal, because now we have an easy to use central location to store ticket related data.

What needs improvement?

I’d like to see a more formalized classification system for tickets that would allow me to analyze where (on what functions) our team is spending most of the time and resources.

We have used Spiceworks for three years – transferred from SysAid.

Spiceworks could improve the upgrade procedure. It regularly fails and we have to use the workaround to get a new version installed.

It regularly fails when we're upgrading.

We've had no issues scaling it.

Very good – the community is very fast to respond and is full of professionals.

Before Spiceworks we used SysAid which was quite good also, but not worth the extra money compared to Spiceworks.

Initial set-up is very straightforward – any semi-pro can do it in an hour or so.

We implemented it in-house. There's no ned to use an outside contractor because the setup is very easy and you learn a great deal by doing it yourself.

ROI is very good since this is AdWare software.

What other advice do I have?

Considering this is AdWare this is a very good product with all the right tools for a medium sized IT department. I would recommend it for any IT department that has less than 20 members.

it_user374160 - PeerSpot reviewer
Interim IT Manager at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The value is in the free IT help-desk and inventory. All IT departments, big or small, even single man, need to keep accurate records of their work, and Spiceworks polished interface and continued development allow you to setup up a server and scanning with minimal configuration.

Active directory support ensures you can import all of your users, and easily scan your AD assets. You also have a direct feed to the community right in your help desk. The Spiceworks community is one of, if not the best community of IT professionals. More times than I can count, I’ve looked to the community for solutions to problems, proof of concepts, projects ideas and advice.

Even after our organization stopped using Spiceworks, I still encourage my team to frequent the community and look there for ideas, solutions or even feedback.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Spiceworks, my current organization used Librum Helpdesk. The last revision for Librum was in 2002, so when we moved to Spiceworks, it was like coming out of the dark ages. Spiceworks allowed us to keep notes on all of our vendors.

These notes slowly turned into our knowledgebase (before Spiceworks developed their *actual* knowledge base). It also allowed us to get an active inventory of most of our assets and be able to add notes to them, such as identify their owner, purchase date and price as well as preventative maintenance frequencies.

What needs improvement?

The only real gripe I have would be the stability. See below.

We used Spiceworks at our organization for about three to four years, and racked up about 10,000 tickets in the database.

We had no issues with the deployment.

As our database grew in size, so did the frequency we had to restart the application on the server. Spiceworks had a memory leak that would eventually bog down the server it was on and force us to restart the service, which would take about 45 to 60+ minutes. Obviously these restarts never came at optimal times. By the time we were getting ready to retire Spiceworks, we were restarting the service twice a month.

There were no issues with the scalability.

The community is the only way to get support questions answered, as there is no “formal” support. However, the community has a wealth of knowledge, and Spiceworks Professionals do chime in as well.

Eventually we ended up going with BMC Track-It!, as some colleagues had experience with the product and we were looking for something with change management and ITILv3 compliance built in.

I still believe Spiceworks is a great help desk for a Level 1, 2 and even 3 IT department. (See Gartners “Maturity Levels of an Information Technology department.)

The initial set-up is straightforward, however, customizing the program for your organizations needs will take some time. Things like ticket fields, definitions, custom fields in tickets and inventory. While this will take time, it’s also a reason why Spiceworks works so well, it’s very customizable. Start with the help-desk.

The previous IT Manager handled most of the initial setup, but my advice would be to spin up a virtual machine and take a crack at it first. Stay as vanilla as possible. Try reproducing your current solution, or as close as you can get, starting with the help desk. Then move to inventory, user portal, etc. Then start utilizing features you didn’t have and implementing them. It is a very complex process migrating a help desk, so be sure to take your time and test.

Licensing is free and pricing is non-existent, unless you want an ad-free experience. Paid support is not an option, only community support (which is pretty good).

What other advice do I have?

Being a free product, it’s really hard to criticize, as it has many excellent features, such as inventory with asset scanning, purchase tracking and the ability to add plug-in’s created by the Spiceworks community that can add even more functionality. Ultimately, we stopped using Spiceworks, as a new IT Director came on board and we decided to move to a product that supported change management and could conform to ITIL v3 standards. Spiceworks is a great, free product. Any IT department that doesn't have a solid help-desk/knowledge-base solution would be amiss not to implement it.

IT Support and Development at a local government with 51-200 employees
It provides a centralized system through which all IT requests are funnelled, with requests being auto-assigned a ticket number.

What is most valuable?

• Network discovery
  • Ticketing system

How has it helped my organization?

Spiceworks provides a centralized system through which all IT requests are funnelled, with requests being auto-assigned a ticket number, thus streamlining organization and prioritization of requests. Users can track the status of their requests, leading to greater company-wide satisfaction with our IT team. Prior to roll out, IT received requests in person, via email, via phone, sticky note, etc. Now things are in one tidy place, and that has made everyone happy.

What needs improvement?

The only issue encountered was setting up the email server information. It took a little testing, but got it working in a couple of days.

We've used it for less than six months.

There was an issue with the email server set-up.

There was no issue with the stability.

There was no issue with the scalability.

I haven't contacted the customer service.

I haven't needed to use the tech support.

We did not previously use a ticketing or network monitoring system. I opted for Spiceworks since the non-pro version is free, I briefly used it at a past job, and the network discovery tool is provided.

Everything was pretty straightforward aside from getting the email server settings done, since we are Google apps-centric. There are several Gmail server options to try for incoming/outgoing ports/settings/etc. and it took testing many combinations of settings before finding the best suited.

I implemented it solely, in-house. I had little issue. Best advice I can give is- test, test, test!

Since the version I use is free, the ROI is excellent and I, as well as my company, are very satisfied with the results.

What other advice do I have?

There are other free ticketing platforms available out there. Keep in mind, however, if the network discovery, inventory, of your endpoint and software is critical, then Spiceworks may be best suited for your needs.

it_user372372 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technal Support Specialist Contractor at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We reduced the possibility of missed communication that is related to tickets.

Valuable Features

I like how all the work notes are all trackable from the main page. It is very easy to manage what has been done on a specific ticket.

Improvements to My Organization

Because this is the proper channel for technical troubleshooting, we reduced the possibility of missed communication that is related to tickets.

Room for Improvement

The navigation is a little heavy and not as smooth as some ticket management software; this must be because it’s web based and has a lot. The GUI can be a little hard to find my way through. I have also used Service Now and it’s very orderly compared to Spiceworks in terms of ticket categorization and management.

Use of Solution

The company I worked for have used it for a lot longer but I've only used it for about two to three months.

We didn't have any issues during deployment.

We haven't had any issues with the stability.

We had no issues with the scalability, but I haven't had a chance to use the software version.

I haven’t had a chance to use the customer service for Spiceworks.

I haven’t had a chance to use the technical support for Spiceworks.

I wasn't involved in the set-up.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I wasn't involved in the purchasing of the license.

Other Advice

I was not the one managing the system, I didn't have the chance to see the software version. If you want an all in one solution for your IT to support your company, Spiceworks has a nice built in integrated system. And since it’s web based, it will work on any platform, even mobile.

IT freelancer/consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

Automatic inventory of network connected assets and ability to add assets that are not connected to network - such as monitors and docking stations.

How has it helped my organization?

Spiceworks replaced our previous attempts to track inventory and Help Desk related issues via spreadsheets. It provides the ability to generate custom, very detailed and on-demand or scheduled asset inventory reports. Help Desk feature was helpful as well, and replaced many walk-ups and tracking of issues via email.

What needs improvement?

The main issue we had with the Spiceworks was always performance related. A dedicated server would sometimes become unresponsive, and would need to be restarted.

We've used this solution since Spiceworks version 2.0.

We had no issues with deployment.

The server would become sluggish as more assets were populated in the system.

Scalability was an issue. The server would become sluggish as more assets were populated in the system.

Customer support was great, I was always able to find solutions in the forums.

Spiceworks was very active on forums and was always aware of performance issues and included improvements with every version release.

Spiceworks was the best product per our testing, and was recommended by other IT professionals at the time. We evaluated many low cost or free solutions, and none came close to Spiceworks abilities and ease of use. Price was also a big factor during times when management was not looking to spend capital, but still demanded consistent process, asset tracking, and reporting improvements.

Initial set-up is the simplest I've ever seen in such a product. I was able to initiate a discovery network scan in less than a few minutes after initial installation.

In-house team. Just make sure you dedicate appropriately sized server to accommodate the size of your environment.

Other than dedicating an ageing server and some initial set-up and configuration time, ROI for a free product is great.

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that Spiceworks free tier is an ad driven product, but you can remove ads for a reasonable monthly fee if needed.

it_user371781 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The development is regular and updates happen often.

Valuable Features

The help desk feature is by far the most valuable. It is easy to use and offers lots of features for different types of organizations.

Improvements to My Organization

I have used this product at two different organizations. At Addison Community Schools I introduced Spiceworks as an easy to use Help Desk solution that came with no cost and minimal setup. It revolutionized the way support requests were handled. Before Spiceworks it was a strictly email or word of mouth support system. Not very efficient at all.

Room for Improvement

The area I have always struggled with is the network scanning and asset management parts of the program.

Use of Solution

I've used it for eight years.

Deployment is simple. It requires installation and some key configs like SMTP/POP services for email interactions.

Stability has been a problem only a few times but barely a blip.

I went from an organization serving 100 employees to one serving over 500 employees and saw no issues.

Most of the tech support for Spiceworks is via their forums which are very active and very helpful.

The initial set-up really is very easy. Again, some SMTP/POP stuff is about as tough as it gets.

Implementation Team

I implemented it in-house but there are vendors that will do implementation if you want to pay for it. I think that the typical Spiceworks user is going to end up implementing on their own. My advice is to test it. Everything is free so no harm in downloading and installing on a virtual server.

ROI

ROI is hard to determine because the product is free but what I can say is that the value is huge.

Other Solutions Considered

I have evaluated several help desk products and it comes down to overall value. I never made the change because the products I looked at didn't offer enough value to justify their cost.

Other Advice

Spiceworks gives you a very good but basic help desk platform that is easy to implement and use. The development is regular and updates happen often. They are constantly adding features and making the product better.

System Administrator - Backup & Storage Specialist at METRO SYSTEMS Romania
After the software got deployed incident management became much faster, easier and more organized.

What is most valuable?

From what I know, the software has a very vast range of functionalities but what we mainly used it for was for incident/ticket management and network hardware & software inventory (workstations, laptops, licenses, IPs, etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

Before implementing Spiceworks we had to manage all our incidents through email. This was pretty tiresome and time consuming and so, as time passed and the company grew larger, we realized that we were working in an inefficient manner and that incident management itself was something that was draining precious time. After the software got deployed it all became much faster, easier and more organized. By collecting and classifying emails, it helped us greatly in areas such as: ticket assignment, team & individual workload measurements, incident takeover, information transparency and follow up with the users (clients), etc.

What needs improvement?

Personally, I haven't used it in over an year, I haven't got to see the latest updates or major releases but if there's something I'd improve about version 5.x is its scalability.

I've used this software for about a year and a half during some of the time I've spent as a HelpDesk Specialist.

Only issue was with scalability. After some time, as the back-end DB grew bigger, the solution started to perform slower. In the end we even had to reset the DB and archive the old one so it could run smoothly again.

I don't really have that much experience on that side with the product, but from what I remember you could usually find a lot of useful tips, tricks and even solutions to issues on public forums and even in the software's documentation.

Before and even after implementing Spiceworks we've been working with HP Service Manager. Although a classic in incident management software, it was sort of avoided by users (clients) because they considered it to be way harder and slower to use than emails. Once we implemented Spiceworks to collect user incident mails, HP Service Manager started to be avoided even more from our internal clients.

I wasn't involved.

Implementation was done in-house by my team's technical coordinator.

What other advice do I have?

If you've got a small to medium sized company (<500 employees and <500 network objects) than this software can really cut time for some of your Help Desk and even Sys Admin operations and optimize Incident Management in your team.

it_user371481 - PeerSpot reviewer
Help Desk Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It helps track, priorities, knowledge base and manage the incoming tickets from customers and inside projects. Most problems are the system bugs and slowness.

What is most valuable?

Spiceworks managed all tasks of the company on a daily routine.

• Helping track, priorities, knowledge base and manage the incoming tickets from customers and inside projects.
  • Giving the employees one place to observe the correct state of the company productivity.

Spiceworks also has a smartphone app that helps you keep in touch from anywhere.

What needs improvement?

Most problems are the system bugs and slowness, also because the product has a web interface that makes a lot of problems like refreshing and information loss. I think that Spiceworks need to make a program for PCs and keep the web interface.

I used the Help Desk version on a local server for three months.

I encountered with stability problems, but I suspect that it was a local server issue.

Spiceworks is a free solution and I have never contacted theircustomer service.

I didn’t install spiceworks so I do not know.

I have used Commit CRM for 3 years, that solution isn't free and has a nice customer service, a PC program and a web interface. As I wrote earlier that solution costs and my employer didn't want to pay.

I didn’t install Spiceworks so I do not know.

Spiceworks help desk solution is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to install the program on the company cloud server and keep a daily backup.

it_user292623 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Support Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We're now able to provide logs during an IT audit and we can monitor network activity in real time, but online devices sometimes appear in our dashboard as offline.

Valuable Features

The inventory of hardware and software.

Also, the community, as there are lots of IT pros who are always ready to help.

Improvements to My Organization

During our IT audit, the auditor usually asks if we have logs, and unlike before, where we were a having a hard time digging up the log, Spiceworks has helped us a lot. It helps us to monitor our network activity real time, and it shows the actual map. Personally, I have met a lot of IT pros who I can ask for help and advice anytime.

Room for Improvement

The devices keep showing offline in the dashboard, but when we check it, it's already online. This is a problem they need to fix.

Use of Solution

I started to use Spiceworks 2012 (v5.3) in my previous job. I also work as a freelancer IT Admin, and I installed the Spiceworks to my clients network.

When I first deployed the software, the issues I encountered during scans were that the offline network devices kept showing up even though I had already turned them on.

Since the software has its own community, the technical support is free. There are also lots of awesome Spiceheads who are always ready to help.

In my experience, the initial setup is complex, since I had never had any experience in working with any project. I was having a hard time in getting the information of devices on the network, but thanks to Spiceworks they have the knowledge base to follow on how to do it, as well as the very helpful Spiceheads.

Implementation Team

I implemented it in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is free as far I know, both the application and technical support.

Other Solutions Considered

I had tried The Dude network monitor, but we choose this software because of the feature that is useful for our ISO IT audit.

Other Advice

1. Consider the needs of your organization - if you are looking for a product to implement in your company, you really need to consider if the product is what you really need, or if it is really satisfying your requirements
  2. Consider the cost - it’s important to consider if how much you are willing to spend for the product
  3. Consider the technical support – the best technical support is free and with experienced people, With this software, most of the users in the community are using it in their own organization.
it_user370191 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems and Messaging Administrator at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
It keeps our tickets and workflow in order.

What is most valuable?

The ticketing system.

How has it helped my organization?

Keeps our tickets and workflow in order.

What needs improvement?

Can’t think of any off the top of my head. Product works well as is.

I've used it for five years.

No issues yet.

I haven’t needed any customer service.

This was the first product we used.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

It was implemented in house.

What other advice do I have?

I can tell you it works well and its stable. No issues to report.

it_user369345 - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Engineer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
​The feature we use the most is the help desk portal.

Valuable Features

The feature we use the most is the help desk portal. Mostly this is a cost effective way to have a ticketing system for us. The inventory pulls are not entirely accurate all the time depending on what time it was pulled, so we use Dell Kace for that.

Improvements to My Organization

Our CIO can run reports on our human utilization on the help desk and what types of calls come in. Very good for reporting.

Room for Improvement

I would not recommend running Spiceworks on a desktop machine for long, I have had to reboot the services more often than I would like. The inventory information could be more frequently updated. The modules available to incorporate tasks to an asset would could also stand to grow, they could also make it easier to incorporate them into the interface; examples (Dameware, Wake on Lan needs work, etc).

Utilize the community heavily because that is where your support will come from.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

This is kind of an open source solution.

Other Advice

Spiceworks is very easy to install and configure generally. I would advise giving it space on a server to do its thing. Running the service as local system on the server is also better than giving it its own dedicated account.

it_user369366 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Desktop Engineer at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
The best features for me are software/hardware management tools, windows critical updates monitoring, and the ease of setup and use.

What is most valuable?

Amongst its pretty extensive features the best for me have been the software/hardware management tools, windows critical updates monitoring, and the ease of setup and use: accounts & tickets creation, and consolidating.

How has it helped my organization?

Spiceworks has made it easy to manage PC health and efficiency, user requests, and license monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I think troubleshooting errors became the most frustrating part since it is free; you can’t complain. But luckily the Spiceworks Community is very helpful in diagnosing issues when bagging your head against the wall doesn't help.

We've used it for two years.

On the rare occasion I called tech support they were as helpful as they could be when your company doesn't have a support contract with them; never had a negative interactions with them.

The IT department I worked as part of, implemented the software on their own.

I wasn't part of the deployment process, but my predecessors told me it was surprisingly simple, but I was there for product upgrades and additions which were less friendly, but manageable-again-via the community pages.

It's free.

What other advice do I have?

Its perfect for a start-up/small/medium company where you are trying to get the most out of a software package with as little cost as possible; and how can you go wrong with a free, stable and very useful software?

IT Systems Administrator & Infomation Security Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's simple, with a straightforward configuration, help desk features and a big and helpful community.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the Spiceworks Helpd Desk feature and the Inventory monitoring features.

How has it helped my organization?

The most basic examples of how this product helped our organization is the implementation of the Help Desk feature from which we finally were able to improve our operational efficiency in meanings of providing more quality and responsiveness to our clients and also, measuring the efficiency of our employees. We also liked the monitoring and reporting of the IT Inventory feature from which we got real time event reporting.

What needs improvement?

For now this suits our needs, although a Linux version would also be a great improvement.

I've used it for about two years. At first I started testing it, but I got attached to it pretty fast and went to full implementation.

No, none whatsoever.

I would rate the level of customer support as excellent. They are professionals in every possible way. As a matter of fact, I kind of feel about them as colleagues.

used PRTG Network Monitor, and the reason I chose SpiceWorks was because of the simplicity, the budget that I had available which is zero.

I used PRTG Network Monitor, and the reason I chose Spiceworks was because of the simplicity, the budget that I had available which is zero.

The set up process was very simple. Pretty much next, next and next. You just provide the needed credentials from your network in order for Spiceworks to sort the things out for you.

The ROI is basically efficiency and improvement.

I tested both the Cloud version of Spiceworks Help Desk and the In-House version. I would say that the cloud version is pretty simple to run but I would recommended it for a small company with simple requests from clients. The In-House version offers more technical configurations, custom reporting etc. and is definitely a solution for a more robust environment.

What other advice do I have?

Considering the fact that this is a free product, all you can get from this software is Improvement in the way you organization operates and how your clients perceive you. Try Spiceworks, you won’t regret it. It’s simple, it won’t give you headaches during configurations and you can even add your coffee machine in the inventory.

it_user369525 - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterpise Business Systems Engineer (Lead Network Systems and Security Engineer) at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​The inventory management is very helpful and works quit well. It is missing some functionality that is needed in a mid-size to large business.

What is most valuable?

The inventory management is very helpful and works quit well.

How has it helped my organization?

Spiceworks has allowed us to inventory our network and the community is great for trouble shooting issues.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see change control added to the product with automated approvals, and the hanging and slowness bugs fixed. Also a better search would be nice.

We have used Spiceworks for three and a half years at my current job, but have also used it in the past in a smaller company. It is great for a small IT shop of less than 5 people, but would recommend and more robust system for larger IT teams.

No issues encountered.

The stability is lacking. We have to restart the software about one two too times a week.

I would give the technical support 8/10 being that the software is free to use. And that they were never able to fix the stability issues.

We have move to “I support” for our help desk solution, mainly due to the lack of change control and automated approval’s.

The set-up is very straightforward and easy.

We implemented it in-house.

ROI is great as the software is free.

What other advice do I have?

If you are planning on using Spiceworks as you core ticketing solution make sure it will scale to your business needs. I feel the product is good for inventory and simple help desk, I lacks in speed and in the fact that there is no Change Control peace of the ticketing system. On other thing is we have experienced issues with the software hanging up, we have try multiple things to stop this with no avail. It is missing some functionality that is needed in a Mid-size to large business.

it_user369534 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's easy to set-up in house. I would like to see the help desk product be more stable.

What is most valuable?

Helpdesk & network scanning

How has it helped my organization?

We have set-up our clients via the help desk system and installed the Spiceworks administration tool on all clients servers to keep track of server activity and to log calls.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the help desk product be more stable.

I've used it for two years.

Regarding the network scanning you might find it will slow down network performance but with correct schedules this was resolved.

The Spicework Community forums are fantastic, regards to technical support from Spiceworks for their product cannot say for never required it.

This was a solution I implemented to improve customer relations and to meet SLA’s. Previously, this was done via email.

The initial set-up on the clients server takes a while to set-up but once configured it runs without any errors.

This application was setup by colleagues who work at the company.

I’m only a technical consultant and don’t know this information, this system is good to use because it’s free.

What other advice do I have?

It’s fantastic because its free to use and easy to set-up in house, but it’s quite sluggish on the administrator end, but considering its free you cannot complain.

it_user269979 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
It has allowed a free option of scanning our networks to provide an inventory. It still lacks some basic features that other systems have such as limiting the view of queues to certain techs.

Valuable Features

Network inventory

Improvements to My Organization

Spiceworks has allowed a free option of scanning our networks to provide an inventory. Though it’s not the absolute best product for this, for something that is free it produces pretty positive results.

Room for Improvement

It would be great to see them improve on the ticketing aspect. It still lacks some basic features that other systems have such as limiting the view of queues to certain techs. It could also use a better end-user interface.

Use of Solution

We've used it for over six months.

8/10

8/10

Set-up was very easy to complete.

In-house implementation.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We currently use OTRS as well for ticketing though we are considering other options.

Other Solutions Considered

Other Advice

This product is definitely a great start for a ticketing system at an organization, particular for small to medium size teams. I would not consider Spiceworks as enterprise level yet though as a ticketing solution

it_user286839 - PeerSpot reviewer
Group IT Director at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's given us a foundation on which to build release and service management, but integration to social and collaborative tools could use improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Help desk/service desk (ticketing tool)
  • Inventory
  • Reports
  • Analysis
  • Dashboards
  • Device/network overview

How has it helped my organization?

• The control over IT organisation, understanding of issues & problems
  • Control over change
  • Possibility to measure internal SLA's
  • Possibility to protectively address issues, and get an understanding of reoccurring problems
  • Measures the IT organization and business organization skills
  • It's a good tool to build a good foundation for release management on
  • It's a good tool to build a good foundation for service management on
  • Alerts give us a direct overview of issues in our environment

What needs improvement?

The social and collaborative tools, such as integration to LYNC, Yammer, or equivalents.

I've been using it for two years, and the Spiceworks Network Monitor (7/10) for one year.

No issues encountered.

Over 10/10 as the user network is incredibly active.

I've never had to use it.

It costs nothing, but I see Spiceworks as a gateway tool. Learn the ropes of service & operation management in a free tool, then switch to a more advanced tool afterwards if necessary.

It's totally straightforward, and you can do it with your internal resources, without training or support.

It was all done in-house.

This is difficult too measure as it's a free tool.

It's free.

We also looked at ServiceNow.

What other advice do I have?

Have a good understanding of what you need and for your IT strategy. Focus on service management, train in service management then implement this tool.

it_user277038 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Analyst at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Using it as a basic ticketing system has helped us organize issues and prioritize, but it could be more robust.

What is most valuable?

• Ticketing system
  • Freeware
  • Network scanning

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a basic ticketing system, which has helped us organize issues and prioritize. Also, it has helped in assigning tickets and tracing accountability.

What needs improvement?

The ticketing system could be more robust, more like a service desk.

I've used it for two to three years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered. It runs in minimal resources.

There are slight issues, but it scales well for the most part.

I've not needed to contact customer service, but the community is amazing in assisting with issues and questions.

No previous solution was used.

The setup is simple and straightforward.

We did it in-house.

The ROI is high as we only divert one small VM server that needs little maintenance and is worry free.

Try the free version and do a test run.

We previously used Zendesk.

What other advice do I have?

Try installing it in a small virtual environment or on a virtual box. It has a ton of useful features and keeps getting better.

ICT Technician at The Godolphin School
It has made the process of getting support to end users quicker, but I'd like to be able to remove some of the default actions that are in the drop down menu of the tickets.

What is most valuable?

• Integration with Active Directory
  • The ticketing system for the end users
  • The ease of making it work the way the IT Support Team want it to

How has it helped my organization?

Once the end users got used to the idea of creating an IT ticket, it has made the process of getting the support to them quicker, plus if they come up with the same problem themselves they can look at fixing it themselves as I leave notes in the ticket for them to follow in the future or they can use the Knowledge Base.

What needs improvement?

Scanning of the network, being able to remove some of the default actions that are in the drop down menu of the tickets. I think they should create a light version just for tickets as this can be used by many different trades not just IT.

I implemented the use of Spiceworks in 2012 when I was employed by my current employer, and we are still using it.

No issues encountered.

We have not encountered any problems.

No problems with scalability.

I have not had to use their customer service. I know people that have, and they have said it is faultless.

I haven’t had the need to request tech support from Spiceworks, however asking a question in the Spiceworks Community is very good, you are guaranteed to get a solution.

My employer used an IT Company for the solution, with me introducing them to Spiceworks we saved over £700 per month meaning we could start to develop the IT infrastructure.

Setting up Spiceworks is simple as long as you follow the instructions. I have even deployed it for the maintenance guys, so they can have tickets for the work to be carried out around the site. (They only get the ticket side of Spiceworks, no network stuff.)

I implemented the use of Spiceworks.

Spiceworks is free so the ROI is unbelievable.

If you are a small – medium sized business you cannot go wrong with using Spiceworks to help you provide an A+ IT support as it is free.

We looked at Solarwinds and a couple of others provided by local IT companies.

What other advice do I have?

As mentioned above if you are a small – medium sized company then I would use Spiceworks.

it_user273747 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Director at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
This also works as a KB and an alarm system, but I couldn't monitor our Exchange or SQL servers.

What is most valuable?

Tracking the work that has been completed.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization improved by using Spiceworks to monitor our network. It sends alerts as necessary, and allows the tracking of both open and closed tickets.

What needs improvement?

I was never able to properly get the product to monitor our Exchange server or SQL server.

I've used it for seven years.

Initially, the loading of a large network can be a little tedious, but later versions of Spiceworks have done an improved job of the installation.

I almost never experienced problems.

We haven't had problems with 70+ users.

7/10, which is good considering support is only via a forum.

7/10, and it's also via a forum.

We tried a few help desk solutions, but really appreciated the amount of effort put into Spiceworks for a free solution with occasional ads. If anything, I would say they attempt to do too much with their product.

Easy installation. The more difficult aspects are setting up all the devices and alarms, and maintaining the inventory.

In-house. It was a relatively simple installation considering it was done with only two techs over a few days.

Our time was really the only expense and the return isn't easily quantifiable. Suffice it to say it is very, very high.

Other non-descript products. Nothing that matched the ease of use of Spiceworks for free or otherwise.

If you need a help desk, just do it. This also works as a KB and an alarm system. Highly recommended.

System Administrator/Technology Coordinator at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
I've found inventory management to be valuable in tracking serial numbers of machines on our network, but everything on a Mac network must be manually entered.

What is most valuable?

The inventory management is, and also the alerts that let me know when printers are running low on ink.

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of keeping track in a spreadsheet of serial numbers, what software is on what machine, and what machines we have, I let Spiceworks scan our network and figure it out for me.

What needs improvement?

Mac networking needs improving, as everything has to be manually entered in a Mac environment.

I've used for five years at three different companies.

It's excellent.

It's excellent.

No other options were evaluated as it is one of the only 100% free solutions.

It's very easy and has a great community.

Since it's free, and only takes about two hours to setup, it's got a 100% ROI.

It's completely free.

I've not used any other solutions. I used it at the first tech company I worked for, and brought it with me to the new company I work for.

What other advice do I have?

It's the only way to go as far as inventory systems go.

IT Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Popular
The main dashboard is completely configurable, but performance can be slow on larger networks.

I have used Spiceworks for the purpose of network monitoring and management, while it also gives options for PC inventory and reporting software reporting. I was just trying out a lot of various options out there before sticking to one for my purposes like Zabbix and Nagios. I ended up choosing an option other than Spiceworks, not because it was not a good option, but because the other option(s) fit my needs better (the others being Zabbix and PRTG).

Spiceworks have a lot of things working for its favor as mentioned below:

Pros

• Fast installation
  • Main dashboard completely configurable
  • Easy to use monitoring console
  • Active user community, with forums, ratings and reviews, how-tos and whitepapers
  • Free
  • Easy to install and configure for Windows environments
  • “All in one” solution for Inventory, Monitoring, and Help Desk
  • Great starting point for IT management

While it is a great tool for small to medium sized companies, there are some problems that one can face when expanding. I tested the same using several thousand virtual servers and monitoring the same via Spiceworks. The performance was not what one would expect. The following were the following things which if looked into can make Spiceworks a great tool at all levels.

Cons

• On larger networks, performance can be slow
  • Limited scalability
  • Does not facilitate managing control of monitored devices
  • Some initial device configuration is required to be recognized by Spiceworks
  • VMWare and Unix systems not discovered nearly as easily as Windows
  • Does not provide the same depth of monitoring and control as enterprise-level products

Well at the end if you are new to the field of IT, and have a small to medium sized company, do not hesitate to give Spiceworks a shot, its real easy (with no steep learning curve as Nagios), with excellent features and support.

IT Service Provider at a university with 51-200 employees
Good ticketing and network management solution.

Valuable Features

Ticketing, reports, technician user management.

Improvements to My Organization

It has increased the productivity of our IT department by speeding up service requests and managing and organizing them.

Room for Improvement

The network inventory feature.

Use of Solution

Four years

Spiceworks is easily scalable in both in-house and remote location systems.

Customer Service: 10/10Technical Support: 10/10

It is free.
it_user2754 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
An easy to setup and use IT inventory tracking and help desk ticketing system

Valuable Features:

SpiceWorks is an easy to install and maintain inventory and help desk system for SMBs and it's free! It provides a portal capability for users to submit tickets and FAQs. On the IT side, the ticketing system is simple to use and allows for basic time and cost tracking. The inventory system scans for hardware and software on the network and is helpful in tracking compliance and warranties. A flexible reporting system allows you to run reports on anything in the SpiceWorks database. It has remote monitors that allow you to inventory equipment in remote offices. The online SpiceWorks community is also fantastic for dealing with all sorts of IT issues.

Room for Improvement:

The help desk ticketing system is functional but fairly basic. You can close tickets but there is no way to indicate whether the issue was actually resolve or not. The hardware and software inventory is decent and doesn't require an agent but it's easy to have some applications counted several times from an inventory perspective because of versions, service packs, and updates. I would like more control over linking updates and service packs back to their parent application.

Other Advice:

When I moved from a large organization to a small SMB, I missed our tools that did IT inventory management and help desk ticketing. SpiceWorks has done an excellent job at filling that gap at a near zero cost. It's not perfect but it gives me great visibility into what's happening on the systems on my network and gives me the ability to track and report on IT-related issues. I'm very impressed with the product and highly recommend it to those that don't have a budget for IT inventory control and help desk software.
it_user1929 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Security Professional at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Great service desk with a strong community of users, but its monitoring tools could be better.

Valuable Features:

This is a great service desk product for SMB's. It's free and easy to get going so it is perfect for companies that haven't got anything in place to handle inventory and helpdesk. It is supported by a strong community of users that give you a built-in expert network and IT knowledgebase.

Room for Improvement:

I think its monitoring tools could use some improvement. Clearly it wasn't designed as a monitoring application from the start and it still seems a bit weak compared to other, more fully featured, monitoring products.
Download our free Spiceworks Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022