Spiceworks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Spiceworks is the #4 ranked solution in top IT Asset Management tools, #15 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software, and #31 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give Spiceworks an average rating of 6.2 out of 10. Spiceworks is most commonly compared to Zabbix: Spiceworks vs Zabbix. Spiceworks is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Spiceworks Buyer's Guide

Download the Spiceworks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Spiceworks?
From network inventory and network monitoring to help desk software, and mobile device management (MDM) to cloud services detection, Spiceworks helps you manage everything about your IT workday from one easy place.
Spiceworks Customers
Broward Center for the Performing Arts, Symantec, Webroot, EMC, Pertino
Spiceworks Video

Spiceworks Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Spiceworks pricing:
  • "Seeing that it is a low-cost solution, I would advise you to go ahead with Spiceworks and experiment with it to see if you can get things working properly, especially if you currently don't have any existing service desk software in place."
  • "It might be about $300 annually for a bigger company. If you pay annually, it's better and cheaper."
  • Spiceworks Reviews

IT Director at Dondlinger Construction
    Helpful for ticketing and visibility, but doesn't remove unused devices automatically
    • "It lets us know whether devices are getting out of date and tracked warranties. Spiceworks also gave me visibility in terms of what software was installed on each device and its status."
    • "Once a device was recognized on the network, Spiceworks never got rid of it even after you took it off the network. You had to go in and manually remove it."

What is our primary use case?

We use Spiceworks for IT ticketing. The main users are me and my staff, which includes two other people. We serve about 60 or 70 other people who submit tickets via email. They don't use Spiceworks to monitor how many tickets they have open. For the most part, they don't go to that page. They just send in their tickets and wait for us to respond. Since we're a smaller company, then the response time typically isn't too long.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Spiceworks, I was able to set up notifications. So, if the drives were getting full or something like that, it was helpful. Ticketing works really well. We've set up an email address where employees can send their requests. It creates a ticket automatically and sends it to me and my staff. We can then go see what the problem is and resolve it.

And we have some rules set up in there. If one of those rules is triggered, then it automatically sends an email. It tells us we need to look at that email. so that we can determine whether or not it's safe to go ahead and let through things like that are very helpful in keeping us able to serve our users.

What is most valuable?

When I first started using Spiceworks, it really increased visibility. I have some other stuff that I'm using now for that kind of visibility, but at that time I went with Spiceworks because it was free. I set it up and used it for visibility in the network, then we set up the ticketing stuff several years ago as well. That works well for us.

It lets us know whether devices are getting out of date and tracked warranties. Spiceworks also gave me visibility in terms of what software was installed on each device and its status. I could see where it was on the network as well as the versions of operating systems and stuff like that.

What needs improvement?

In terms of visibility features, there was one thing I didn't like about Spiceworks. Once a device was recognized on the network, Spiceworks never got rid of it even after you took it off the network. You had to go in and manually remove it. That's the case on the version that I'm running anyway. If a computer gets connected to the network and then you replace it with something else, it still hangs out in there. This makes it difficult when you're looking for stuff or wanting to check on something. You've got all these old stuff out there that you have to filter through, and I just don't have the time to manually maintain that.

Spiceworks
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Spiceworks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used Spiceworks for seven or eight years.

It's stable. It's well developed and the maintenance is pretty simple aside from having to go in and take out old devices. But you don't really have to mess with it to keep it running. Every once in a while something will glitch up. I just have to restart it and it works fine. This only happens maybe once every six months.

Usually, if I have to restart it, it's because the server that's hosting it has shut down and it didn't restart correctly or something like that. The servers reboot periodically, so sometimes it doesn't come back up cleanly or whatever and I restart it. But for the most part, it's pretty maintenance-free when it comes to glitches and stuff.

We have 14 virtual servers and a workstation with around 80 to 100 laptops, so the scalability is good for a small business. I don't know how well it would work in a large corporate environment, but we're a relatively small business, so it works well for us.

I don't remember ever having to contact Spiceworks technical support.

Setup is pretty easy. You just install it and connect it to your network. It goes off and did its thing. I did it myself in one afternoon. It's pretty simple to maintain. We don't have somebody who administers it. I and another person pretty much keep an eye on it.

What other advice do I have?

The free version of Spiceworks that I'm using is a good solution if you don't have any other options for visibility into your network. I haven't looked at a paid version. I didn't actually know there was one.

My biggest advice to people thinking about using Spiceworks would be to stay on top of managing their devices. The version that I'm running doesn't clean that up for you. The visibility solution that we use now removes a device from the list if it doesn't check in within a specified period of time, so it doesn't have a lot of deadhead stuff out there. It tries to maintain an accurate current list rather than just allowing everything to stay there forever until you manually remove it. I don't know if a newer version takes care of that or not. Or if there's the setting that I could have set up to take care of that,

I would rate Spiceworks seven out of 10.

Hassan Zia - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Service Desk Manager (Global Delivery) at MLOGICA, INC.
    Good low-cost service desk system, but lacks in automation workflows and categorization
    • "If you're in the market for a low-cost service desk system, Spiceworks is a good software solution to start out with, especially when it comes to startups and those organizations that don't currently have any existing service desk software in place."
    • "One of the biggest ways in which Spiceworks could improve is by developing better and more automated workflows. For example, in another solution called ServiceDesk by ManageEngine, you can have levels of approval in the event that there is a request for new software, or when someone requests a VPN or WiFi connection. This kind of multi-stage approval feature provided by ServiceDesk does not appear to exist in Spiceworks, and it is one of their main shortcomings for me."

What is our primary use case?

I have been using Spiceworks as a ticketing system for logging incidents, service requests, and other service desk-related functionality ever since I joined my company about a year and a half ago.

We're currently using a pretty old version of Spiceworks which is about three or four years old now and, although it is hosted in the United States with our USA team (which includes our infrastructure manager and IT security director), I believe it is based on-premises. When I joined the company here in Pakistan, it was already in place, and I just had to come in and start using it to support my team as a service desk manager.

In our engineering department, Spiceworks is being used globally as a remote service desk system by people who are not only in the United States and Pakistan, but also in India. In my team, there are six engineers working on it at present, in addition to the L2 team which includes two system administrators, a Linux administrator, and others, which comes out to a total of about 10 or 12 Spiceworks users in our company.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

One of the biggest ways in which Spiceworks could improve is by developing better and more automated workflows. For example, in another solution called ServiceDesk by ManageEngine, you can have levels of approval in the event that there is a request for new software, or when someone requests a VPN or WiFi connection. This kind of multi-stage approval feature provided by ServiceDesk does not appear to exist in Spiceworks, and it is one of their main shortcomings for me. There are also several other automation features in ServiceDesk that are not present in Spiceworks.

Another feature that I have always wanted in Spiceworks is categorization. Let's suppose that I select a certain piece of software within Spiceworks, and I want to see the subcategories, Spiceworks should be able to auto-populate those subcategories. This is unfortunately not possible within Spiceworks at the moment.

I have been using Spiceworks for one and a half years now.

Despite lacking some advanced features, I can confirm that Spiceworks is a stable solution.

The older version of Spiceworks that we are using caters towards startups and medium size organizations, but here in Pakistan even some banks might see benefit in using it, especially those who are still using older solutions anyway. The newer versions of Spiceworks with extra scalability and workflow features may be even more interesting to these companies, but many of them have not been introduced to the solution yet.

Spiceworks is a particularly good software solution to kick off with when you're a startup. When experimenting with it, your people can get exposure to the context and you can easily customize it. When I joined my organization, I did a lot of customization with the fields and everything at first in order to properly streamline the processes. It really helps to start with building up your processes first and foremost.

Once your organization gains awareness of the service desk processes, they can then either look out for better software or stick with Spiceworks.

One alternative that we are now moving towards implementing is ManageEngine ServiceDesk, mainly because it provides better, more automated workflows.

Although we are still using Spiceworks, we are hoping to be able to phase it out by the end of this year in favor of ServiceDesk.

What other advice do I have?

Although Spiceworks is a good service desk solution for startups and the like, I believe it is lagging behind other solutions such as ServiceDesk in that it lacks multi-stage approval and categorization, plus a number of other features that I would like to see in such a solution. If Spiceworks manages to integrate the kinds of features you see in ServiceDesk Plus, for example, then I think it would make for a very good service desk system.

I would rate Spiceworks a six out of ten.

Spiceworks
    November 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Saifallah Chakroun - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at MTF Industriel
    Reliable and simple to use but there is a bit of a learning curve
    • "It's easy to understand."
    • "Sometimes, it can be difficult to integrate what you need."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used as a ticketing system. For example, it can be used in finance and other areas.

I used it in my home lab, just to do some tests.

I'm linking it to IT issues in the office. If there are problems, for example, the printer is not working, people write a message to me, create a new ticket, then send the ticket to me. I try to solve the problem.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to understand. The documentation is also very helpful in figuring out the product.

It's simple to use.

The solution offers very useful integrations.

It is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

There's a bit of a learning curve. the first time you interact with it, you may find it difficult. For example, it's hard to manage a switch from a page.

Sometimes, it can be difficult to integrate what you need.

The initial setup can be difficult.

I've been using the solution for one month.

It's quite stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

Only three people are using the solution right now. I use it in my home.

You can scale the solution. It wouldn't be an issue.

Technical support has been good. We have been satisfied with their level of assistance.

I've also used Jira. Spiceworks, however, has different tools I can use.

The implementation process can be difficult, however, once it is up and running, it's pretty easy to get going.

I can deploy the product in about two hours. It doesn't take too long.

There isn't really any maintenance needed. It's pretty simple once it's up nd running. You don't have to have a lot of people watching it.

The pricing of the product depends on the company and how big it is. In a big company, it is hard to deploy something like this. There are a lot of servers and there is a lot of communication needed. In a big company with maybe 1,000 people, you would pay a high price. It might be about $300 annually for a bigger company. If you pay annually, it's better and cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user.

I haven't focused on the version. I'm not sure which version I'm using.

I'd recommend this solution as it makes life easy. I'd rate it seven out of ten.

Michael Ojieh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The dashboard lets me take inventory of the network and see the devices I need to monitor, but it could be more user-friendly
    • "Spiceworks' dashboard allows you to drill down to the notes, where I can take an inventory of the network and see the devices I need to monitor."
    • "I would like to see more information when drilling down into access permissions, assignments management, or tagging. When I click a note or a device, I should be able to see more details about the router and modem. For example, I want to see the version, downtime, availability, latency, etc. I should have easy access to everything about our assets at a glance."

What is our primary use case?

We use Spiceworks to monitor routers, switches, access points, and IP addresses.

What is most valuable?

Spiceworks' dashboard allows you to drill down to the notes, where I can take an inventory of the network and see the devices I need to monitor.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more information when drilling down into access permissions, assignments management, or tagging. When I click a note or a device, I should be able to see more details about the router and modem. For example, I want to see the version, downtime, availability, latency, etc. I should have easy access to everything about our assets at a glance.

The feature currently works like this: You click a note, and it gives you information about the device, including the model, interface, resource usage, etc. Having all those things at a glance for each of those devices would make the reporting more robust and user-friendly.

I used Spiceworks for around three years.

Spiceworks is stable, but I think more work needs to be done to make it more stable and globally accepted so it can compete with solutions like SolarWinds.

Spiceworks is scalable.

I rate Spiceworks support 10 out of 10. Their support staff is knowledgeable and responsive.

I rate Spiceworks eight out of 10 for ease of setup. I found the setup to be straightforward, but it depends on who is doing the deployment. It requires minimal maintenance around twice a year.

Spiceworks is an open-source product, but I think they should offer some useful premium features that people can pay for.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Spiceworks seven out of 10. Comparing Spiceworks to other products, I would say most people see it as a tool for small businesses, but they would go with one of the bigger names for a large enterprise network. Other commercial products are more user-friendly and have more features.

If more companies started adopting Spiceworks globally, maybe that would change, but people still see it as a tool for small and medium-sized businesses.

Senior Manager, Enterprise Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
    It's free and generic but not very customizable

What is our primary use case?

We're using Spiceworks mainly for infrastructure monitoring.

What is most valuable?

Spiceworks is generic and free.

What needs improvement?

Since Spiceworks is a free tool, it's not very scriptable or customizable.

I've used Spiceworks for two years.

Spiceworks is stable for our purposes.

Spiceworks' scalability is fine. Our usage has been moderate and we have five admins managing the solution.

I haven't contacted Spiceworks tech support. But support isn't readily available. They probably send you to a third party, so we really haven't pursued support for it. Spiceworks could add paid support as a service.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Spiceworks four out of 10. Just because it's free and out of the box, and you get what you pay for, and you didn't pay for it. So, not getting much. All right. Know what you're getting because it's free.

Download our free Spiceworks Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022