Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SonicWall NSV OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall NSV is #31 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give SonicWall NSV an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SonicWall NSV is most commonly compared to Azure Firewall: SonicWall NSV vs Azure Firewall. SonicWall NSV is popular among the small business segment, accounting for 50% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SonicWall NSV?

NSv delivers complete advanced threat protection, including high-performance intrusion and malware prevention, and cloud-based sandboxing with SonicWall's RTDMI technology. NSv ensures lateral movement protection, plus inbound and outbound traffic protection.

SonicWall NSV was previously known as SonicWall Network Security Virtual.

SonicWall NSV Customers
Comlogic, Depaul, Hutt City Council
SonicWall NSV Video

SonicWall NSV Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall NSV pricing:
"We are currently using the trial version."

SonicWall NSV Reviews

Network & System Support Engineer at ITCG Solutions Pvt Ltd
Reliable, easy to scale, and reasonably priced
  • "We purchased the AGSS Bundle (Advanced Gateway Security Suite) for the security services, such as antivirus, intrusion prevention system, and anti-spyware botnet GUI."
  • "There are limitations to bandwidth management."

What is our primary use case?

We are distributors of SonicWall. We install and implement solutions on our customers' sites.

SonicWall NSV at the customer sites.

What is most valuable?

We purchased the AGSS Bundle (Advanced Gateway Security Suite) for the security services, such as antivirus, intrusion prevention system, and anti-spyware botnet GUI. I enabled the security service, and I configured the sandboxing, capture ATP, and a few firewall access rules, such as filter policy, as well as the application filter policy. If necessary, we write certain policies that are related to the Net policy.

What needs improvement?

The hardware box renewal appliances GUI became extremely slow after the release of SonicOS 7.

When I compare SonicWall to its competitors, I notice that there are some functions that I cannot perform with the SonicWall appliance. For example, when I assign a user base bandwidth management, I enable the ULA (User Level Authentication), but I need a different solution and must enable browser-based authentication.

SonicWall requires certain features such as the authentication agent and user-based routing.

There are limitations to bandwidth management. When used in the education sector, there are some difficulties. They require bandwidth management, an authentication agent, and SSL VPNs.

Google Chrome is not supported, which is why the ULA occasionally fails to function. The authentication page does not appear.

The earlier model is TZ SOHO, they now have a startup with TZ270. We have some offices that have 10 users, as well as a limited amount of users that require a small device such as TZ SOHO, and not the TZ270.

We are having some difficulties with the SOHO 250 model, regarding the throughput, but when I use the TZ270 it works well. I decided to replace it with TZ270.

When I enable the ULA, the Sophos core usage increases dramatically. Everything works fine when I use the IP-based policy. In general, when it comes to IP-based configuration, everything is fine; everything works great.

In terms of user-based policies and Gen 7, we have several problems with the ULA, and the page does not appear. We are unable to log in when the page does not appear, even when we have entered the correct credentials.

SonicWall, as well as other competitors, have SD-WAN, however, SonicWall features are different. The web filter component, the application component, and the firewall access rules, for example, are all different in the SonicWall Appliance.

When creating firewall access rules in Sophos and Fortinet, I just define the source, destination, and user, as well as a web filter, an application filter, and user bandwidth management on a single line. I only follow one rule and have never had a problem.

Everything is contained in a single rule only when I create it. I can assign web filter policies, application filter policies, and I can apply all security services in a single rule.

I have been working with SonicWall for the last seven years.

Firewalls
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SonicWall, Microsoft, Fortinet and others in Firewalls. Updated: September 2022.
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

SonicWall NSV is a stable solution.

This solution is easy to scale.

We've implemented Azure, Hyper-V, a few firewalls, Microsoft Azure, and a Fortinet virtual appliance in a Hyper-V environment.

SonicWall, Sophos, and Fortinet are the three products that we implement.

Both Fortinet and Sophos are good solutions and provide many features.

The solution used is based on the client's requirements. Some may require multiple SSL VPN licenses and others need an SSL VPN, or bandwidth management, or authentication agent.

Most often, I suggest Sophos.

When working in the education sector I prefer working with the Sophos firewall.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to deploy.

I've done a number of deployments for our clients. We haven't had any difficulties. It's working well.

I am familiar with the GUI, which helps with the deployment process.

The deployment is normally 20 to 30 minutes, but it depends on the hardware configuration.

For example, when we deploy in a VMware platform or a Hyper-V platform it can take anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes to complete.

We are currently using the trial version.

The price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Sophos because I have several issues with SonicWall.

Even though we had some issues, we still believe SonicWall is a good solution.

I would rate SonicWall NSV an eight out of ten.