IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Slack OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Slack is #3 ranked solution in top Enterprise Social Software. PeerSpot users give Slack an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Slack is most commonly compared to Symphony: Slack vs Symphony. Slack is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Enterprise Social Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Slack?

Slack is where work happens. It’s a digital workspace that powers your organization — all the pieces and the people — so you can get things done.

Slack brings all your communication together in one place. It's real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams.

Slack Customers

Strava, The New York Times, Spotify, Blue Bottle Coffee Company, Eventbrite, Box, Circa, Stripe

Slack Video

Slack Reviews

Patrick Scolyer-Gray - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder & CEO at Pathbreaker Pty Ltd
A clean and efficient communications platform that is good for large teams
  • "With respect to being a clean and efficient communications platform, I think that it does the job quite well."
  • "I have found it cumbersome to create and set up groups, or channels."

What is our primary use case?

I use Slack primarily for communications. This includes communicating with individuals as well as grouping people into cells to work on specific parts of a project. We don't use the features beyond just the basic communicative side of it.

What is most valuable?

It's very good for when you have a large number of people working within the team. It can be a challenge to ensure that people are working within the bounds of the project that they are assigned to, and Slack is effective for ensuring that happens.

What needs improvement?

I have found it cumbersome to create and set up groups, or channels. I recall having to go through the application, then back to the web site, and then back to the application. I didn't really like that and this is something in the interface that should be improved. If it were possible or easier to create those working groups within the application, without being taken into a browser and working entirely within the software itself, that would be ideal.

I would like to see integration with collaborative tools, such as word processing software or programming environments and coding software, made clear, easy, and as broad as possible. It should handle simple products, all the way to complex ones. It should be easily embeddable inside a channel so that anyone can use it.

I think that changing the privileges to remove restrictions would help the users to adapt to the platform more easily, removing bottlenecks. Having to request access for particular users is time-consuming and it would be better if more people can do these things themselves.

I have been using slack since the beginning of 2019.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Slack, Symphony, Facebook and others in Enterprise Social Software. Updated: July 2022.
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have not noticed any bugs, glitches, or other issues with stability.

We have between 30 and 50 users.

A lot of the work that we're doing now ends up on Microsoft Teams. Whether I like it or not, it tends to marginalize and eventually push Slack out of the picture.

I found the initial setup to be straightforward. You can also bombard people with reminder messages that they should be joining a channel or discussion. In fact, I've had less trouble with slack than I've had with Teams.

What other advice do I have?

From my perspective, this is a good product and I definitely recommend it. My advice for anybody who is implementing this type of product is to first consider what it is that they want to achieve, and then make the decision about which product to implement based on that. If you're trying to pick between platforms, like Teams versus Slack, I would recommend Slack for a variety of reasons. Even if you are using Teams already, I would suggest using Slack in addition because you can't go wrong.

Mogle - PeerSpot reviewer
MogleSenior BMC Remedy Consultant at Mogle & Partners Limited

I am really impressed with Slack, it quickly helps to organise different teams and collaboration across different projects and clients.

Abhishek-Mehta - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Vice President at Onnivation
Reseller
A secure and widely-used solution that integrates easily and is helpful for internal and external communication
  • "You can create channels between teams internally and externally, which is great. There is a lot of security with Slack internal, which is what I value."
  • "I would like to be able to do live streaming on Slack. Slack allows Slack huddle where you can do a group call, but it is not very well-designed. I'm not sure if it is going very well, but live streaming is one thing that I would definitely love to see. When you use Zoom, I like how you can run webinars. If we could do that through Slack, it would become an all-integrated platform. I would also like to be able to schedule meetings using Slack, similar to Zoom."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for internal communication, and we also use it for external communication or customer relations.

What is most valuable?

You can very easily share large files through Slack. Integration is easy.

What needs improvement?

Their notifications are generally not very prompt. There is a problem with their notification engine, and sometimes, I end up pressing on notifications. There are a few bugs there.

It also tends to lag sometimes. It gets slow.

I would like to be able to do live streaming on Slack. Slack allows Slack huddle where you can do a group call, but it is not very well-designed. I'm not sure if it is going very well, but live streaming is one thing that I would definitely love to see. When you use Zoom, I like how you can run webinars. If we could do that through Slack, it would become an all-integrated platform. I would also like to be able to schedule meetings using Slack, similar to Zoom.

I would like to see better connectivity between Slack and Gmail where Slack can prompt me for some of the things from my Gmail. For example, there can be a prompt such as "This person has been mailed, and you can contact him through Slack."

It should have an automated translator. It would be helpful for interacting with people who are multilingual. For example, I speak English, but the other person might not understand English. There should be an automated translator inbuilt into Slack for such situations. Instagram has a similar feature where for a caption, you can click the See Translation button, and it does the translation for you. This is something that Slack could add.

I have been using this solution for almost 18 months.

It is fairly stable.

It can be scaled very easily. We have about 20 people who use this solution.

I have not used their support so far.

It was straightforward. It took one day.

What other advice do I have?

It is good. It is one of the best ones out there. You can definitely go for it.

When you're partnering with teams outside your organization, you can't really do without Slack. It becomes a necessity. We chose this solution because Slack was the most widely used solution. A lot of companies that we partner with and a lot of our customers end up using Slack. So, for us to partner with them, we needed Slack.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It is widely used, but they need to work on its features.

July 2022
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Andreas Kazelas - PeerSpot reviewer
Dealer at Invaxa
Great for communication, easy to implement, and can expand as needed
  • "The product has the ability to scale."
  • "We’d like it to have more capability for everyone to work on one doc in real time all at once."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Slack to communicate with other partners outside of our company. In most of the cases, it's for external communication.

What is most valuable?

Basically, it’s great for getting different kinds of groups with different partners - let's say one with the IT, one with the payment solution, into one place. It’s used just to communicate and nothing more than that. It's just a better solution to use instead of Skype or any other standard application.

It is easy to set up.

The solution is stable.

The product has the ability to scale.

What needs improvement?

The last time I tried to work with some other partners on the same document, we couldn't figure out a way to work on the same one. We actually have to have one person gather all the documents and then prepare one. It was actually taking way much longer than usual. We’d like it to have more capability for everyone to work on one doc in real time all at once.

I’ve been using Slack for three or four years.

The solution is very stable. It doesn’t have bugs or glitches. It doesn’t crash or freeze. It’s reliable.

I haven’t seen a lack of scalability. It seems like it would be easy to expand.

Most of our colleagues use the solution. We have around 100 people on the solution.

I haven’t used technical support. I can’t speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We’ve also used Skype.

It's easy to set up. The IT team didn’t take that long to install it. There’s nothing wrong with that.

I don’t deal with the licensing aspect of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure about the version I'm using. IT is taking responsibility for that.

I’d recommend the solution. It's easy to use. You just kind of need to use it more often just to get used to it and see how it works. It's nothing hard to figure out. It's easy to start.

I’d rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Sangeeta Panigrahi - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Executive Officer at aximind
Good communication features help to promote collaboration between team members
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable is communication between team members."
  • "Customization is something that Slack is lacking."

What is our primary use case?

Our internal team primarily used Slack for communication with each other. If two or three people were working on the same modules then they were able to share code and work together.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is communication between team members.

What needs improvement?

Customization is something that Slack is lacking. Otherwise, however, the user interface is very good.

We have been using slack for the past one and a half years.

Recalled that there were some bugs about a year ago. However, I don't recall the details or what they did to rectify the problem.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support. When we experienced the bugs about a year ago, my team may have been in contact with them. Ultimately, the problem was resolved.

We primarily use Slack and Microsoft Teams. We know of Confluence but do not use it much.

Slack is a better product than Teams. Teams is more like a chat window, rather than a development window. We were also having issues with Teams, initially, with the user interface when we were trying to create groups. We found that it was not that easy, or perhaps not convenient.

What other advice do I have?

My company has been acquired so we are going to align our systems with our parent company. At this point, I am not sure if we will continue with Slack or instead move to another solution. I have suggested that we continue using the same tools, but at this point, I am not sure.

In my opinion, this is a good product and I recommend it. Slack is much better than Microsoft Teams.

CS/Retention Manager at Catchpoint LTD
Allows you to create different channels, have conference calls, and share your screen
  • "We use Slack for general communication, conference calls, and sharing screens because we have people working from different countries."
  • "I think Slack could add additional features without making the solution slower or more difficult to use."

What is our primary use case?

We use Slack for general communication, conference calls, and sharing screens because we have people working from different countries.

There are 53 people using Slack in our organization.

The solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It gives you the ability to share your screen and have conference calls. You can also create different channels. You can use it on your PC or on your phone.

We recently had to learn about another program, and somebody had to teach from abroad. They could share their screen, and we were able to have a conference call through that.

What needs improvement?

Everything has room for improvement, so I think Slack could add additional features without making the solution slower or more difficult to use.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

The stability is good. It doesn't matter how many people use it.

Setup is pretty easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

You can use it on your phone, not just on your PC or laptop. It pretty much works the same, and you can do almost everything on your phone.

Theodoros Lysandrou - PeerSpot reviewer
Sales Manager at TioMarkets
Valuable for announcements and communicating between team members

What is our primary use case?

We use Slack for communication and announcements.

The solution is deployed on-premises. We have around 65 people using this solution in our company.

What is most valuable?

It's valuable for announcements and communicating between team members.

It also gives you the ability to have video calls and share your screen.

What needs improvement?

There could be a read function so that when you send a message, instead of the other person having to add a reaction, you know that the message went through.

I have been using Slack for roughly three and a half years.

It has not crashed once in three years, so I would say it's pretty good.

The scalability is okay.

We haven't had any issues, so we haven't needed to contact technical support.

It's very simple. You just use your work email, sign in, and that's about it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

My advice is to use both the mobile and desktop versions.

Associate at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Collaboration and communication solution used for internal messaging between employees

What is our primary use case?

Slack is our main source of collaboration and we use it for all internal messages.

What needs improvement?

The way groups are created on slack could be improved. Once you create a group of people, you can't add additional people unless you convert it to a channel.

I have used Slack for one year.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Slack is a really easy collaboration tool to use and many companies are adopting this popular tool.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Enterprise Social Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Slack, Symphony, Facebook, and more!
Updated: July 2022