IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SAP Process Orchestration OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Process Orchestration is #3 ranked solution in top Business-to-Business Middleware tools. PeerSpot users give SAP Process Orchestration an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SAP Process Orchestration is most commonly compared to Mule Anypoint Platform: SAP Process Orchestration vs Mule Anypoint Platform. SAP Process Orchestration is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
SAP Process Orchestration Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Process Orchestration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is SAP Process Orchestration?
SAP NetWeaver Process Integration facilitates the integration of business processes that span different departments, organizations, or companies. SAP PI is based on general standards so as to enable 3rd-party systems to be integrated. At the center of SAP PI is an XML-based communication that uses HTTP (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol). Irrespective of the scenario used, the application-specific contents are transferred in messages in user-defined XML eXtensible Markup Language) from the sender to the receiver either via the Integration Server, or directly between the systems involved. SAP PI can be installed in different ways: Dual usage type installation: Based on both AS ABAP and AS Java. and Advanced Adapter Engine Extended (AEX): Based on AS Java only.

SAP Process Orchestration was previously known as SAP NetWeaver Process Integration, NetWeaver Process Integration.

SAP Process Orchestration Customers
Lenovo, Dansk Supermarked A/S, Ego Pharmaceuticals Pty. Ltd, Kaeser Kompressoren
SAP Process Orchestration Video

Archived SAP Process Orchestration Reviews (more than two years old)

Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good process integration and standard adapter with EBA abilities
  • "The standard adapter with EBA abilities is the most valuable feature. It has good process integration."
  • "The cloud capability features need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the business work clause. Even though there could be multiple cloud-based applications in real-time, doing on-premise work, people need some kind of security within their internet server and to do transactions. SAP Process Orchestration would encourage you to translate and do many activities.

It has few disabilities. We can use standard EBA technology to transfer the invoices and make purchases.

What is most valuable?

There's a rule framework orchestrating the value right from the user role. If a user wanted to give access to someone or the other user has to delay the process order or access the process order, all those things can be orchestrated.

What needs improvement?

The cloud capability features need improvement.

New connection features will be released like OpenDrive, Dropbox, and SharePoint features. All of those connections have to be launched. Which will help develop us to integrate with many third-party products.

The user interface is good, but it can still use improvement in some areas.  can improve the UI areas. They should show a more graphical representation of the data.

I've been working with it for almost eight years now.

SAP Process Orchestration
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about SAP Process Orchestration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a stable product. It has improved performance, agility, and other areas of message transmission.

We can enable chat board integration with this particular tool. I have worked on a chat board integration project also. Scalability-wise, we can integrate any solution and it is highly secured.

We have 40,000 users using this solution.

The maintenance is very easy. From the server-side, there is the regular batch upgrade.

Their technical support is very good. The response time depends on how critical the problem is. They do give a proper response and everything so there's nothing to think about. It was very well handled by the product.

The initial setup was straightforward.

For EDA a setup can take around 80 plus hours for an end to end connection on BDN.

We use an integrator that helps with writing an ideally based product. The requirements keep on changing from the functionality of the business and users. We have to integrate and do the transformation based on that. It's very suitable for ideal based technology where the requirements keep on changing from the user and we keep on updating the map inspections.

The licensing costs are fair. There are no additional costs in addition to the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

SAP is the best solution for them to integrate with many other third-party systems or other VRP systems.

The messaging isn't good at being in real-time.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Robert Solomons - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP Process Orchestration Team Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Enterprise Service Bus for application integration and data transformation
  • "Great monitoring tools and has its own alert framework."
  • "The older version of the solution will no longer be supported."

What is our primary use case?

We have 2 stances of the SAP PO 7.5 SP14 Java only and it is installed on-premise using IBM Hardware to support our on-premise SAP Applications and an instance installed on AWS to integrate our cloud application with other cloud application. We use the solution for application integration and transforming of data. Decoupling of systems is a feature of SAP PO that allows us to integrate systems without having to care about the data formats , communication protocols or security features of other systems on the bus. As a retailer, all our transnational data need to feed into our SAP system and visa versa to non - SAP systems . Example of this, would be raw point of sale data from the POS system to convert to XMLs and integrate it into the SAP system. We have a team of six developers that does development and support.Support issues are related to data and connectivity . Extrapolation data from other application systems are key to the proactive scaling of the system . We have built close to 700 Integration scenarios and process on average 1.2 m transaction per day.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature of the solution are all the connectors. I can connect to any environment, anywhere in the world. I can convert any message or data type. It has great monitoring tools and has its own alert framework as well. The really nice thing is that there's a big community and a lot of support. There's a clear roadmap and a vision from the provider as well so they keep you updated. and always notify us of the latest technologies. You have an indication of where the industry is moving and the direction we should take. They've never failed us.

What needs improvement?

The company has come out with a new version, SAP Cloud Integrator, which is not as good as the older version. They are trying to get us to move over to that even though the application is not ready yet. Technology changes and more people are going to micro services and API management tools, which doesn't provide all the functions that the project orchestration environment has. They have a great product but now they're moving into something new and discontinuing the old product. The community is not happy and I think SAP should listen to their clients, offer continuing support for the old product while improving the new.

I think they could work on simplification. There is a business process modeling tool that they have besides the integration side where you could have one point connected, one system, one source to a target system, but they have the process modeling tool, which basically allows you to connect users to each other. You can connect users within a system and then they can connect that system to another system and get a result. It's like an orchestration, a workflow. I think all of that could be simplified.

I've been using this solution for about 15 years. Of course, there have been many changes and we've had numerous upgrades over that time.

This solution is one of the most stable integration SAP products that you could possibly have. Everybody in our organization agrees with that. The only time the system is down is when we carry out maintenance or upgrades. This is a very robust solution, there are no glitches or crashes.

This is a very scalable solution. We can add additional server loads, server nodes. If I have web services that I'm calling and those web services get an additional 100,000 calls, I can easily do a simple config on my side to allow that additional data to come through.

Technical support is fantastic. We've had some specific requirements for our situation and SAP basically did the developing for us and then the deployment. They're always willing to assist in that respect.

If I consider the fact that I'm able to train someone within three months to do very straightforward development, integration development, then I think it's very straightforward. An organization using this solution for the first time they would need to get the vendor to assist with implementation. Deployment would probably take about a day.

What other advice do I have?

For any enterprise services, if you want to centralize your integration and have one central place that you move data through, instead of having all these various different connections, running all over the show, then this would be the system to use. You can easily set governance policies, see rules, and manage all connections in and out of your environment, especially from a security point of view. It's a great integration tool and a wonderful idea.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
SAP Process Orchestration
July 2022
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solution Architect - SAP Banking at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Seamless integration with backend systems, but it needs to be more flexible
  • "The most valuable feature is the seamless integration with backend systems."
  • "It does not have all of the industry-standard solutions available in PO and it is not plug and play, so we have to do a lot of development."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP Process Orchestration to connect our on-premises safety banking systems. In the middle, we have another layer called SAP POL, which is the Process Object layer. That builds the actual orchestration and persistence of data with respect to the business objects. This is in case anything fails across multiple steps.

For example, if we have seven steps and the process fails in the third step, we need to start processing from the point of failure, rather than from step one. So, there is a primary user for the process orchestration, which is the SAP POL.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the seamless integration with backend systems.

What needs improvement?

SAP has decided to move everything to the cloud, which means that we have to invest more. New investments would include things like redevelopment and data transfer. In general, we are not satisfied with the roadmap.

I would like to see more flexibility. It does not have all of the industry-standard solutions available in PO and it is not plug and play, so we have to do a lot of development.

We have been using SAP Process Orchestration for about nine years.

We are satisfied with technical support.

We did not use another solution prior to SAP Process Orchestration but we are considering moving to something new, like Mulesoft.

SAP is doing some arm-twisting, saying that they are ending the support for this product and that we have to move to a cloud-based platform. This means that we have to redo all of our on-premises development and transition to the cloud. There are some small solutions that we can migrate but we are not convinced that this is the only way to go. This is the reason that we are researching alternatives.

The pricing for this solution is fine.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, I'm not sure what advice I would give to those people who are researching this type of solution. I am looking at other products because I want to see how good they are. It may turn out that SAP Process Orchestration is still much better, which means that I would continue with it. There are pros and cons with all vendors, so it may not be worth switching if you are already using this.

At this point, I am generally satisfied with SAP, but the roadmap is something that is bothering us.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Partner & SAP Netweaver Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Offers good integration, data maps, and routing functions
  • "The product has good technical support but you usually will not need it because it is quite stable."
  • "The initial setup is easy."
  • "The monitoring governance offered by SAP is too technical and needs to be geared more toward business users."

What is our primary use case?

I have been a solution architect since 2005. I have a lot of experience with SAP Process Orchestration. I have a lot of experience with many kinds of integration between all kinds of processes. SAP Process Orchestration is the tool we chose to use to help us effectively design and improve workflows.

What is most valuable?

The components that we use a lot and find very valuable are the integration map, the routing and we also use planning products for SAP in order to map each process there. My colleagues and I have extensive experience in process development, solutions, and architecture.

All the integration, all the data maps, all the routing functions are good. These things are well managed by SAP. The ST-PI (Solution Tools Plug-In) that is part of the integration of the cloud services is also well-designed.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion, the part that SAP needs to improve in Process Orchestration is the monitor and governance. The monitoring governance offered by SAP is too technical. Only the consultants that have technical skills or development skills are able to manage this product. What is missing, in my opinion, is a better business monitoring component.

Our company creates business monitoring in UI5 and Fiori applications that help the customer to have a better view of what good monitoring is. With the technical monitoring of SAP, someone in the organization has to have technical skills rather than business skills. So using these solutions in combination, we are able to give the client another more business-oriented kind of monitor and governance which is not so technical.

I am a solutions architect, a consultant, and partner of a tech services company that does integrations since 2010. Our core business is process orchestration, process integration, development for SAP HANA, and mobile application development. I have some experience with some BPM (Business Process Management) and I have a lot of experience with PI/PO (Process Integration and Orchestration).

I would say SAP PO is stable because it offers the possibility to implement an architectural cluster with some nodes for the security layer and also for the stability. SAP PI/PO uses on-premises information. So if you have to connect an application on the LAN or potentially the same network, it is good. But if you needed to integrate an external service, you probably need to use the SAP PI product because the service is not an on-premise application.

The scalability of SAP PI can be adaptive as a solution for targeted software integration.

Since early on, I never needed a lot of support from SAP because their solution is stable. Probably the first time we used this product it was unstable, so we contacted them and they needed to issue a patch in order to fix some issues. But the latest releases of SAP are stable, so we do not need to use the SAP support often. When we do, it is good. If the customer pays to have the support, they are always available.

I previously worked with Dell Boomi. Dell Boomi is a part of the process for cloud server integration. We had previous experience with TIBCO. But mostly, our experience is based on SAP products.

The main differences or advantages of SAP over other vendors has grown. SAP is now one of the leaders in integration. But of course, if the customers need an integration broker or need a solution for integration, SAP is probably the first choice for the customer. Because if you have another product like Oracle or Microsoft, or third parties that are not SAP products — or the customer chooses a different solution like Boomi — all the integration of these applications may be more challenging.

SAP Process Orchestration can be used even if you do not have other parts of the SAP digital suite. But I recommend the PO or PI if the customer has another handler like SAP S/4HANA,  or HDCC. Otherwise, I suggest other diagnostic products.

The initial setup for the product is straightforward and easy. At this point, we deal mostly only with the application part. So when we have to integrate components on the back end, the basic part is not so difficult. That is about one or two days of work per layer. The initial part of the installation may take some time, but it is easy. You need to set up the communication between the third-party application systems and you have to hook that to the ethernet in order to get to the point where you start with development integration.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight-out-of-ten.

Additional features that I would like to see in the next release to improve the rating would be to improve the governance of the monitor component and adopt SAP PI/PO with the new connectors that have the capabilities to work better with applications. All they are offering with the solution currently is the ability to integrate application to application or business to business.

Senior Integration Engeneer at ATOS
MSP
Good monitoring, connectors, and proxy help us integrate our many solutions
  • "The monitoring is one of the greatest features in Process Orchestration because it is user-friendly and easy for somebody who is not experienced."
  • "The responsiveness of technical support needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP Process Orchestration because we have a lot of SAP systems that need integration. There are several on-premises applications that fall into this category.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the proxy, which can be used when we have a very large volume of data.

The connectors are very good because you can connect with databases such as Microsoft SQL and Oracle to use their services.

The file adapter is great because we can deal with various file application systems.

The monitoring is one of the greatest features in Process Orchestration because it is user-friendly and easy for somebody who is not experienced. The messages are clear and they can learn how to use the monitoring by themselves.

What needs improvement?

Improvements are needed with respect to being able to handle a very large volume of data.

The responsiveness of technical support needs to be improved.

The pricing can be improved.

I have about 13 years of experience with SAP Process Orchestration.

Sometimes, if there is a system-related issue where I have to contact SAP and raise an incident, it takes a couple of days to resolve the issue. It is a crazy amount of time spent waiting because all of the end-users are on hold to complete their business, and the problem is stopping them.

In terms of technical expertise, my experience with support has been really good. The timeframe is too long, but their technical competence is high.

The cost of SAP products is quite high but the quality is really good.

What other advice do I have?

SAP Process Orchestration is something that I recommend because it is a very high-quality product. If the support were faster then it would be even better.

Bhargava Krishna T - PeerSpot reviewer
Bhargava Krishna TLead Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Top 10Consultant

Thank you for sharing your view and experience on Process Orchestration.

Download our free SAP Process Orchestration Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022