PegaRULES OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

PegaRULES is the #3 ranked solution in top Business Rules Management tools. PeerSpot users give PegaRULES an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. PegaRULES is most commonly compared to FICO Blaze Advisor: PegaRULES vs FICO Blaze Advisor. PegaRULES is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 28% of all views.
PegaRULES Buyer's Guide

Download the PegaRULES Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is PegaRULES?
PegaRULES Process Commander is the latest generation of Pegasystems' industry leading, rules-based business process management (BPM) solution and provides a complete suite of BPM lifecycle tools to build, execute, simulate, and analyze business processes. Delivering a unique blend of process and practice rules, Process Commander provides a BPM lifecycle architecture that includes a patented enterprise business rules engine, process engine, simulation engine, and robust business activity monitoring (BAM) and online analytical processing (OLAP) reporting tools within one common solution.

PegaRULES was previously known as PegaRULES.

PegaRULES Customers
New South Wales, OptumRx, TCDRS, orange, FBI

PegaRULES Pricing Advice

What users are saying about PegaRULES pricing:
  • "They're very cagey in giving out prices, and it is very difficult to find out the real price any organization is going to get. It is almost never their list price, if you can find it, and there are a lot of factors that go into the whole pricing."
  • "In terms of the price, if I were to compare Pega to other tools, it would be more expensive, but it would also provide you with the same features."
  • PegaRULES Reviews

Sidhartha Mohanty - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer at Areteans
    Good automation, improves customer service, and offers an attractive ROI
    • "We find the product to be scalable."
    • "Customers expect more out-of-the-box solutions."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers range from banking to insurance to telco. In banking, customers use Pega for marketing, sales management, and onboarding processes as in loan onboarding or customer onboarding. They also use it for customer service, for example, when a customer calls up the bank to handle a payment inquiry or a problem. Pega also handles collections. We also deal with many of the operational processes inside the banks.

In insurance, we work with Pega on property, casualty, and health. In insurance, we have built underwriting systems, and systems to manage attack claims, as well as the sales and customer management service part.

When it comes to telcos, it's primarily in the marketing area. Besides that, we have customers in the government sector. So, in government sectors, it is primarily to automate many of the citizen services, as well as to automate many other online operations.

What is most valuable?

Pega has traditionally been very good in inclusion automation, which primarily deals with case management, and following the automation along any other processes.

Pega has a capability called the Pega series, which is a customer lesson hub. With it, you can offer or create a business conversation with the customer. For example, if a customer comes onto a bank's website and they're searching for a loan, we have to present the right offer to the customer in milliseconds. With Pega, you can quickly understand the customer and therefore be able to present the right, most personalized offer to them.

Many customers use Pega for customer service also. It's quite useful for that.

It is stable.

We find the product to be scalable.

What needs improvement?

Customers expect more out-of-the-box solutions. Right now, Pega is a platform on which you can build anything; as a platform, it's very powerful. However, what customers also expect is a quick turnaround. That is one area where they can improve. If they could create more business-friendly, customer-friendly solutions in the areas where customers traditionally use Pega, that would be helpful. That way, the same solution can solve similar problems for other customers, and it is more plug-and-play.

They are building in process mining. They acquired a technology company in Brazil, so they're bringing process mining over into the product. Process mining will help the customers to do continuous business implementations since they will find challenges to help adjust processes. That is one thing that we're looking forward to.

We've been a Pega partner for seven years.

PegaRULES
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about PegaRULES. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

From a stability point of view, Pega is increasingly used in markets like Southeast Asia, where the volumes are very high. From that perspective, it's able to handle large volumes. Also, as a modern SaaS technology, it is compliant with all the standards which are required. It is very compliant and very stable.

When it comes to using software in a low-volume market and a few of the other smaller markets, scalability is not much of a factor. When it comes to implementation in countries in Southeast Asia like Vietnam or Indonesia, then the volumes are very high, and we have seen Pega stand up to those challenges. It is scalable.

Technical support on Pega has improved in recent days with the advent of the cloud. If there is any kind of improvements that are required, Pega manages that.

For anything where any of the customers require advanced support from Pega, the support team is always available. They have specialized teams now to basically provide the exact support that is needed. Earlier, it used to be one team. Now, most specialized teams are available on Pega to provide the required support based on the need.

The initial setup is very straightforward, although if it is a customer who is new, they might find it challenging. If they involve the right system integrator, then along with the right system integrator, I don't see a challenge there.

Pega is also available on the cloud as well as on-prem. It is one of the few types of software which is available both on-prem and on the cloud. With the cloud solution, starting up is pretty easy. A successful setup is basically a combination of using the right partner and going onto the cloud to reduce the initial friction to onboard Pega.

From a staff point of view, for a standard application, it requires 10 to 12 resources, and they would involve people who are lead architects and developers.

It would require business analysts or someone who can work with the business to understand and visualize the solution.

It requires one engagement lead to work with the customer and manage the entire project and one or two clusters. With a team of 10 people, we have seen we can deliver end-to-end applications on Pega quite easily.

When it comes to maintenance on production, it requires a team of either two or three based on the size of the application.

We have witnessed an ROI.

It varies based on the business case of the customer. For traditional operational processes where either the operation process is not automated - or even if is - it can create time-saving scenarios.

In the scenarios where Pega is used in the market capabilities where it's more for offer generation or to upsell and cross-sell to the customers, we have seen an uptick in the revenue as Pega did show a conversion-based increase in outcomes.

When it comes to other scenarios, like based on the business context, if it is a customer's service application, that's where we have seen Pega help improve the average call handling. It has the capability of RPA. Therefore, during the call with the customer, if you have to fit information from other systems and quickly provide all the information in a very short time in front of the call center representative. It has helped reduce the average call handling time and the number of FTS required to manage customer service.

Therefore, it has had an impact on customer satisfaction, as well as reducing the overall cost related to servicing customers.

What other advice do I have?

We are one of the largest Pega partners.

They have a primary product: case management, clean automation, and customer engagement. Various customers will be in various versions of Pega, and we deal with all versions.

If customers require an enterprise-wide implementation, they should be aware that there are requirements that are specific to the various lines of business. If they require such complexity to be addressed in a very specialized way, Pega can work well.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It is pretty easy to create and deploy rules, but there is no way to switch from the low-code mode
    • "They're pretty easy to create, and they're pretty easy to deploy."
    • "I've spent some hands-on time with the platform, and you can do those things, and it is all low code, but is it as easy as they make it sound? No. That's my two cents. For example, if I want to do something, there is no way to switch from low code. I just want to do a simple If-Then-Else rule, but I have to go through their low-code tool and do dragging and dropping. I'm a development person, and in my opinion, even some business users could do this easier. There is no way to go back and forth to an editor where I can just type in an If-Then-Else rule, which would be much faster than drawing in their low-code editor. They don't support that. They lead you too much."

What is our primary use case?

It is just for business rules. An example would be that you want to apply for a credit card limit, and if the credit limit amount is less than a certain value, we won't necessarily do a real-time check. We do basically auto adjudication. So, the rules can be used as part of the flow.

What is most valuable?

They're pretty easy to create, and they're pretty easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

In theory, business rules tend to be something that business users can use. What I mean by that is that I don't know whether it always works out that well because the problem in banking specifically is that you need auditing and you need some kind of control. So, even if you're doing rules, there has to be an approval process. You can do all that in Pega, but it is not exactly everything that the vendor says it is. I've spent some hands-on time with the platform, and you can do those things, and it is all low code, but is it as easy as they make it sound? No. That's my two cents. For example, if I want to do something, there is no way to switch from low code. I just want to do a simple If-Then-Else rule, but I have to go through their low-code tool and do dragging and dropping. I'm a development person, and in my opinion, even some business users could do this easier. There is no way to go back and forth to an editor where I can just type in an If-Then-Else rule, which would be much faster than drawing in their low-code editor. They don't support that. They lead you too much. It depends on your level of expertise, but in some cases, it is just not that easy to use.

I don't like their whole deployment pipeline. It is very closed in nature. You have to use their pipeline to push things out to production. It is a turnkey solution, and I'm not a big fan of that. That was one of the things that we liked better about Salesforce. With Salesforce, we could use our own deployment tools or we could use a third-party deployment tool. Pega is a pretty closed system. It is closed in the sense that the deployment pipeline and some of the things that you do go through their tool. They don't integrate with GitHub, Azure DevOps, and so forth, which are really effective for versioning. I just don't like that.

It works, and it is effective.

At a previous organization, there were a couple of thousand users executing PegaRULES, and there were 30 to 50 users creating and modifying rules.

They're decent. A big organization or a big bank is going to want to pay for the premium tech support. If you don't, then you got to be willing to wait. They're no different than any other enterprise solution. Their support, as an example, is better than MuleSoft because we had rather big challenges with MuleSoft support, but Pega was better.

We also have an IBM rules management solution, and we also have Appian, but the situation is that we're having challenges getting the productivity out of them.

I've also used FICO Blaze rules, but that was not here. It was at a previous job.

It took a while to onboard.

They're very cagey in giving out prices, and it is very difficult to find out the real price any organization is going to get. It is almost never their list price, if you can find it, and there are a lot of factors that go into the whole pricing.

Their SaaS deployment model, which was the way we were going at a previous organization, had some benefits over Salesforce, but the concern was the price they were going to charge depending on the number of rules or something like that. We were afraid that the cost was going to blow us out of the water. We didn't choose it. We went with Salesforce.

What other advice do I have?

Pega can be effective, but it is not trivial to get it set up, get it deployed, and get people to know it. That's not unlike some of the other big enterprise solutions. Even for Salesforce, as an example, you're going to need to staff appropriately. Pega isn't one of those solutions that you can basically put in an ecosystem and expect three or four people to roll out successfully. I just don't think that's the case. You're going to have a challenge finding people who already know it.

When we were doing the RFQ, there were some other organizations we talked to, and they were very successful, but now, they had quite a large installation base. I know at one of the organizations when they installed Pega, and this was circa 2018, they had a lot of road bumps. They had to get Pega consultants in. Maybe they had SI in because I was indirectly working with it with consumer lending, and it was one of the many factors that they were late and over budget for delivery. That's the challenge with these big platforms. For a simple point-click solution, they can be quick to get going, but most organizations, especially banks, don't have something simple. You've to integrate with a bunch of APIs. You have to do testing, and you got to do the deployment, etc. So, you need to create a center of excellence, and I hate that term, at least to get started until you get some organizational-wide talent.

In terms of maintenance, if you've got it on-premise, you're going to need two or three admins to work with your infrastructure team to stay on top, but it isn't something they're going to do full-time all the time. SaaS offering has a lot of advantages because it gets you out of that whole deployment perspective. To most companies, I would recommend seriously looking at the SaaS version and not getting involved with on-premise.

I'd rate it a seven out of ten.

PegaRULES
    November 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    AmarenderChitti - PeerSpot reviewer
    Feature Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent technical support, reasonably priced, and has good documentation
    • "Case Management is the most valuable feature of PegaRULES, which is not found in other BPM tools."
    • "Containerization should be improved in relation to Pega because Camunda is deployable in the containerization deployment process."

What is our primary use case?

PegaRULES is used more for business process management. Perhaps in a bank or any other organization. If you want to automate anything, you may require a tool, which is, simply building the same thing in Java.

People choose Pega because it's a flow-oriented tool that is already predefined and you can plug and play.

What is most valuable?

I can say that less development effort is required for developers, allowing them to focus on business problems rather than technical issues. It corresponds to every BPM, so it serves the same function.

Pega also sells the same so that you can integrate with legacy applications or with different applications that may or may not have AP capability. You can use UiPath in between with PegaRULES integration.

There are a lot of features, which most people prefer.

What needs improvement?

Containerization should be improved in relation to Pega because Camunda is deployable in the containerization deployment process. Pega is trying to move in that direction, but that will have to improve slightly.

I have been using PegaRULES for 15 years.

Pega has multiple models, and I believe a few teams are cloud-based. Our organization is mostly moving to the cloud, but not entirely. However, we use on-premises deployment.

PegaRULES is extremely stable. It is still dependent on developers.

Initially, I believe we will require the services of architects to set up the cloud structure and design. Everything must be thoroughly reviewed. Developers will need to follow suit. In terms of stability, I would say it's a solid application. How you use it is determined by how you built it. You must exercise caution when developing the application. If teams attempt to build the Pega without the necessary experience, performance issues and other issues may arise. That design must be correct, and it must be reviewed and monitored. I believe it will be able to stabilize this application.

It can also be scaled up. It is determined by the scope of the data, but it can be scaled up to meet the requirements of the application. It's in hardware and adding hardware to an extra. It will follow the data availability features. Pega will support the ability of Java applications to scale up based on stability. I don't know much about that particular hardware side, but I can say that it can scale up to meet the needs of the user. It is dependent on the application or how large these applications are. It can be scaled to any size.

The number of users is dependent on the project. There are large projects that may involve 10,000 or more users. In a few applications, you may see only 1,000 or 500 users or something along those lines. It is dependent on the application and who is using it.

I have contacted technical support, and they are very good.

The technical support for Pega is excellent. They were able to assist us and even guide us if we had any issues. If you contact Pega technical support, we'll find a solution right away.

I would rate them a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We mostly use Pega products.

Pega provides documentation. The same documentation can be followed during their own deployment process.

In my opinion, it's not complicated in terms of deployment; but it depends on how your applications will be deployed. It's the same method.

Pega will also assist you in this regard. It simplifies the deployment process and makes it easier to set up others.

I would rate the initial setup a five out of five.

If everything works and is ready, the initial setup can be deployed in half a day.

If there are applications that scale up to the enterprise level, we would go with Pega, and if it's a smaller application with a smaller workflow, or if they can't afford to invest that much money, they'll go with less expensive tools such as Appian. Camunda is open source, we have people working on it.

The licensing fees are not that much.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate PegaRULES an eight out of ten.