We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Giovanni Vanini
Director at PricewaterhouseCoopers
A complete solution in terms of functionality with processes specialized using the situational layer cake
  • "The most valuable feature is the situational layer cake."
  • "Compared to other BPM products, the interface is somewhat complex, so the usability could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We do not use this solution in my organization. We are consultants and we act as a third-party for our clients.

This solution is used to orchestrate processes across different parts of the infrastructure. All of the activities are coordinated and controlled, managed by a unique platform where they can keep track of everything.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the situational layer cake. It's a feature of the tool that allows us to specialize a process according to different countries, products, or other dimensions. This means that we can create complex processes that are differentiated according to geography, product, or other characteristics. The result is that it makes it much easier for us to maintain the solution.

In terms of functionality, Pega is probably the number one solution in this field.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution since 2014.

Pega BPM is very stable and our customers use it on a daily basis.

This is a very scalable solution. Our customers are large enterprises.

The technical support is okay.

One of our clients was using a BPM solution by TIBCO before switching to Pega. TIBCO is more technical, whereas Pega is more business-oriented.

The initial setup is quite complex. It requires a lot of time and its not something that you can just do quickly. Pega is a very complete and structured product that needs to be configured according to the organizational structure.

Considerations have to be made with respect to managing data and integrating with their tools. In many ways, it is a Plug and Play tool, but it will require some time.

We have had cases where we have done the deployment for our customers, although in other instances, the client does everything. We prefer not to do the installation, if possible.

The price of this solution, including installation and configuration, is comparable to competing vendors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to make sure that they understand it. For example, we are certified in the usage of Pega BPM. It's a very complete product but it is not a simple one. They need to use the right, structured approach to implement it properly. Pega is not a product for a client with small needs. If anything, when setting up Pega you should think bigger and put things in place for what will be needed to lead the team in the right direction in the future.

Director (Delivery) at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good integrations, excellent workflows, and good technical support
  • "The solution offers excellent workflows."
  • "There are some UX shortcomings within the solution. However, it's my understanding that they have addressed them and in the next three months they will come out with a new updated version. They will be moving away from HTML5."

What is our primary use case?

The use cases vary. The solution is useful for various types of processes such as client onboarding, opening and processing accounts, policies and quotes, claim registration and reimbursement, underwriting, etc.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers excellent workflows.

The amount of processes a user can access is very broad.

The integrations within the solution are excellent.

The solution has the ability to manage different versions of rules.

Overall, there isn't a feature on the solution that isn't useful. The solution is excellent.

What needs improvement?

I've been working with the solution for fourteen or more years.

We have some clients that have up to 2,000 active users at any given time.

The solution is meant for large-scale enterprises.

It has been used in the insurance and finance industries as well as manufacturing, healthcare, and government. Many governments have started using it as well, so it is being used all over.

We've been in touch with technical support many times. They are quite good, overall.

The only thing is sometimes responses get delayed because they need to go to the logs, they need to go through all the steps, what someone was trying to do, and what was not working. It's quite intensive. It takes time. Otherwise, it is simply good. Great.

I've previously had some experience with Appian. They are actually quite different solutions. It's hard to compare them.

The implementation is not the quickest. An organization needs to get a good partner from Pega who will be doing the implementation. If a partner's doing the setup the correct way then it all goes well.

We are a Pega partner and assist clients with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We have a business relationship with Pega.

We handle both on cloud or on-premises deployments according to the client's needs. Many financial institutions prefer on-premises, because of the data security. However, even some of the banks have opted for cloud as well.

I'd advise other organizations to get a good partner and take time to compare other options and to do a roadmap. Not every product is suitable for every scenario, so it's important to do a bit of research first.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Pega BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Department at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Scalable with good dashboards and pretty good stability
  • "The solution provides us with a very good dashboard."
  • "From a technical point of view, it would be helpful to have some advanced analytics to help with configuration. We have a lot of unwanted features and it would be good to configure it more appropriately so that we are using just exactly what we need."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for customer experience. We also use it to create some workflows.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides us with a very good dashboard.

What needs improvement?

From a technical point of view, it would be helpful to have some advanced analytics to help with configuration. We have a lot of unwanted features and it would be good to configure it more appropriately so that we are using just exactly what we need.

I've been using the solution for five years.

In terms of stability, occasionally there are a few glitches to contend with. It's fine. It's to be expected. It doesn't affect our work too much.

The solution is scalable. If a person needs to expand the solution for their organization, they can easily do so.

Currently, we have more than 20 people using the solution.

We've never been in touch with technical support, so I can't speak to how they are or what the process is.

We previously used Appian. At the time, there was some product integration and it made sense for us to switch to Pega.

In terms of implementation, the solution's initial setup is a little bit complex. It's not exactly straightforward. The software implementation and deployment, for example, is very complex. In comparison to the on-premises model, the cloud is very quick to deploy. The configuration on the cloud is much more straightforward.

If a person is using an on-premises solution, they will need one person to manage it, but if the cloud is deployed, there's no need for anyone.

We're still in the process of evaluating other solutions. We're comparing other offerings to Pega.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Pega.

I'm not sure of the exact release number, but we are using the latest version of the solution.

It's a good idea to get clarity in terms of what future upgrades the solution plans to implement. Then, compare it to the competition. It will give you a good idea of what is possible and what will be possible.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall. It's been quite good and we've been quite satisfied with it.

Senior Director Platform Management at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
Cost-effective for medium enterprises, stable, and easy to configure, but needs better reporting and better compatibility with Microsoft browsers
  • "It is quite configurable, which is the most exciting feature. We can easily configure it as per our needs."
  • "Reporting is not so clear and not so great. We really struggle to get the right reporting. When we need reporting based on the content of the tickets, we are not able to get it. The MIS reporting is not great. That's one of the reasons why we are switching to ServiceNow. Its compatibility with the higher versions of Internet Explorer should be improved. It really works well in Mozilla Firefox or any other browser, but when it comes to Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer, sometimes, the layout gets disturbed. The positioning of the buttons changes, and there is some distortion in the layout. I am not sure whether it is our configuration problem or Pega's, but when it is working in Mozilla Firefox, it should also work in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for HR automation or HR service delivery.

What is most valuable?

It is quite configurable, which is the most exciting feature. We can easily configure it as per our needs.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is not so clear and not so great. We really struggle to get the right reporting. When we need reporting based on the content of the tickets, we are not able to get it. The MIS reporting is not great. That's one of the reasons why we are switching to ServiceNow.

Its compatibility with the higher versions of Internet Explorer should be improved. It really works well in Mozilla Firefox or any other browser, but when it comes to Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer, sometimes, the layout gets disturbed. The positioning of the buttons changes, and there is some distortion in the layout. I am not sure whether it is our configuration problem or Pega's, but when it is working in Mozilla Firefox, it should also work in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer.

I have been using this solution for almost three years now. We started using it in late 2017.

It is stable. We haven't faced any downtime or any other issues.

It is quite scalable.

My team would know about it, and I personally don't really get into those details. After the implementation, our teams are on their own. I don't think they are reaching out to Pega support frequently because I don't see any product issues as such. Everything is configurable, and it is running daily.

It is not so complex, but it needs an intermediate level of skill set. It is not so complex, but it is also not so easy.

It is cost-effective for medium enterprises. It is cheaper than ServiceNow.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is more cost-effective as compared to other products. It is the right product for medium enterprises rather than a highly-expensive solution such as ServiceNow, to which we are switching. When you're implementing it, you should configure it in the right way with all categories, subcategories, and other things.

I would rate Pega BPM a seven out of ten.

Flexible and can be configured to meet our requirements, but reporting and notification capabilities need improvement
  • "The most valuable feature is flexibility, as we can configure it to best suit our requirements."
  • "It is not fully compatible with all versions of Internet Explorer, so sometimes, it does not work."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Pega for content management and as a ticket management system.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The reporting does not work well for us. If we have somebody working on a ticket or request, we are not able to track the end-to-end time. Also, the assignment is not happening correctly. Ideally, they should have panel management reporting.

The end-user notifications need to be improved because there is a delay.

It is not fully compatible with all versions of Internet Explorer, so sometimes, it does not work. There are technical glitches because of this.

I have been using Pega BPM for about three and a half years.

We have experienced technical glitches with the use of Internet Explorer and with reporting.

I don't feel that there are any issues with scalability. That said, until our concerns with reporting are satisfied, we don't want to scale.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup is not complex, although I would not say that it is simple, either. You need to know the technology to implement it.

Our in-house technical team was responsible for the deployment, and we had a consultant working with us.

The pricing is pretty good, compared to other similar products.

What other advice do I have?

We are changing systems because we are trying to bring total service delivery into a common platform, and Pega is not able to handle the requirements. We are interested in a user-friendly solution without reporting glitches and difficulties.

The suitability of Pega BPM depends on the requirements. For smaller companies, where one or two products are being serviced, I would recommend it. However, I suggest that larger enterprises consider other tools.

For what they are providing, I think the pricing is fair.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Rakesh Chouhan
Solution Architect Grade I at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with a straightforward setup and good workflows
  • "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the various workflows."
  • "We need more light retail BPM tools within the Pega system. However, Pega is mostly for big companies."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for or our authorization workflow.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the various workflows.

What needs improvement?

I haven't been using the solution for that long, so I don't know if there are any features that are lacking.

As our group is pretty small, we may need to look for a different solution that's more geared to smaller sized organizations.

I've only recently begun to use the solution. I've been using it only for the last three or four months.

So far, over the few months we've used it, the solution has proven to be quite scalable.

So far, we've found the solution to be quite scalable.

We haven't reached out to technical support yet. We've been only using the solution for a short time.

The initial setup is straightforward, The installation is not that complicated. One of our team members has deployed it onto the storage.

Our own teams handle maintenance. We have several teams on different projects.

We're constantly evaluating other products. We're looking at others on the market right now.

What other advice do I have?

Most of our use cases are related workflow kinds of tasks like data workflow, user onboarding workflows, etc.

Although the solution might be too big for our purposes, as of now we are continuing with Pega because we don't know of any such tools which have the scalability, as well as the ease of use that this solution provides. That's why we are continuing with it right now.

Although I personally haven't used the solution for very long, I would rate it eight out of ten.

Andrzej Chmielarski
Tech lead/Solution architect/Team manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Full integration, flexible, and knowledge technical support
  • "In general, we use web services to integrate this solution with our other tools. It is the main approach we use with this solution and it integrates with all tools that we need. If you want to integrate with other solutions such ThreatFire or similar, it is possible as well."
  • "The previous versions had good training documents but the updated versions need to improve the documentation."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used to quickly manage and monitor processes in your organization.

What is most valuable?

I have found the solution to be flexible and they provide good support.

In general, we use web services to integrate this solution with our other tools. It is the main approach we use with this solution and it integrates with all tools that we need. If you want to integrate with other solutions such ThreatFire or similar, it is possible as well.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

We have a customer that has over 6,000 users using the solution.

The solution provides very good support. They have the experience, knowledge, and are always helpful.

I have used previously used Camunda, jBPM, and IBM solutions.

The version for private use on your workstation is easy to install. However, if you want to prepare a platform, it is not easy. All good solutions are not easy to install and tend to be complex and because of this, I would not say this solution is any more complex than any other good solution.

The amount of technical team needed depends on the project. For small implementations, we use one to two people and for big projects, we can have over 30 developers.

The solution could be less expensive according to my customers. However, I think the price of the solution is fair.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is one of the best tools on the market right now. I would recommend it to others.

I rate Pega BPM a ten out of ten.

Rajiv Mohan
DevOps Strategist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reliable, scalable, and provides secure workflow automation that is easy to set up and maintain
  • "It's a good tool for workflow automation."
  • "It needs more integration with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Pega for developing our workflow applications.

What is most valuable?

It's a good tool for workflow automation.

It's stable and secure.

What needs improvement?

In regards to the integration, more APIs may be required.

It needs more integration with other platforms.

I have been using Pega BPM for six months.

It is stable, and it is a distributed architecture.

We have approximately 1,000 users, but it can scale up to approximately 15,000.

It's a scalable product.

We have not contacted technical support.

Previously, we did not use another solution. It was all manually done.

The initial setup is straightforward, nothing complex.

It took two or three days to deploy. We are still new to the system.

We completed the implementation ourselves.

We have a complete team of administrators and application administrators who maintain this solution.

It's a user-based license where, as you scale the numbers of users, the price increases.

They also price base on the number of cases you have.

They have varieties of pricing models.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we are working on the deployment models.

We have not yet started on how to do automation of deployment. I think it's there, but we have not explored it yet.

We have in-house applications that we want to implement automation for. We will be using this software to automate those products.

I would recommend Pega BPM.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Pega BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.