Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Oracle Multitenant OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Multitenant is #13 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give Oracle Multitenant an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Oracle Multitenant is most commonly compared to SQL Server: Oracle Multitenant vs SQL Server. Oracle Multitenant is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Relational Databases Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Oracle Multitenant?

Oracle Multitenant - an Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition option – introduces a new architecture that enables customers to easily consolidate multiple databases, without changing their applications. This new architecture delivers all the benefits of managing many databases as one, yet retains the isolation and resource prioritization of separate databases. In addition, Oracle Multitenant enables rapid provisioning and upgrades, and fully complements other options including Oracle Real Application Clusters and Active Data Guard. p>

For more information on Oracle Multitenant, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Multitenant was previously known as Oracle Pluggable Database.

Oracle Multitenant Customers
An Post, National Oilwell Varco, SAS Institute, Sportmaster, Y-Telecom
Oracle Multitenant Video

Oracle Multitenant Reviews

PatrickKuria - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Systems Engineer at Sybyl
Feature-rich with security and good reliability
  • "You can scale the solution as needed."
  • "Technical support could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

It's database software, so it's usually used for enterprise applications, for example, to ensure that you mostly use Oracle. In our country, it's mainly used by financial institutions.

What is most valuable?

I do like the security features and data recovery for features that were enabled there. With the right configurations, you can maintain an environment without retaining the risk of losing any kind of data.

There's also a point in time recovery, et cetera. This is quite useful.

The initial setup is simple.

It is a stable product.

You can scale the solution as needed.

It is very feature-rich.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be faster.

It's a nice product. It rarely disappoints anyone, but when it disappoints, support takes a lot, a bit of time before they sort you out. If they could improve that, then it'll be a very good experience using it.

I've been using the solution for three years.

Relational Databases Tools
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Microsoft, IBM and others in Relational Databases Tools. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable.

It's really scalable. The licensing is easy. As you continue having more workloads, you continue to license for more calls. It moves up with you.

We are a bank and we have many, many users.

Technical support is okay.

With support, you have an issue where you find there are these prerequisites for procedures that take a lot of time. There are logs that they need and all that. There are prerequisite procedures they usually have that usually take some time which slows down resolutions.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I've used MySQL in the past.

I didn't choose Oracle. After I got certified, I got a job in a place where they already use Oracle.

It is easy to set up the solution.

There's a GUI pop-up. It's mostly clicking  next, next, next, unless where you just specify certain items in some configurations.

The deployment time depends on the setup. If it's one single use of a database, it can take a matter of just two to three hours.

I'd rate the setup a four out of five in terms of ease of setup.

If you have a certified DBA, it can be done in-house.

I can't speak to the cost. I don't handle licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

If well configured, it's a really nice. One should consider it. For databases, it's got very high transactions and is very low to tolerant on losing any kind of data.

François Dernoncourt - PeerSpot reviewer
Oracle Expert at Capgemini
Databases are automatically upgraded and cloning of pluggable databases requires just one command
  • "Multitenant has a container database with many pluggable databases."
  • "The solution lacks a GUI for commands."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently migrating to Oracle's multitenant architecture and are in the process of moving databases over from the old architecture to use this as a multitenant database. We are customers of Oracle and integrators of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a cost-effective solution because we're using the free version and we receive three databases for the price of one. The DBAs now benefit from having more databases and nobody is negatively impacted. It's a good investment.

What is most valuable?

Multitenant has a container database with many pluggable databases. A great feature is that you can upgrade the container to a more recent version and all the pluggable databases are automatically upgraded to that version. Previously it would have required an upgrade for each database. The second great feature is the clone which enables you to get the clone of pluggable databases with one command, as opposed to copying data from one place to another.

What needs improvement?

I think a GUI for commands would improve the solution because it's currently managed with commands in the CLI.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

This solution is stable.

Multitenant is very scalable for the paid version. The free version is limited to three pluggable databases. If your requirements are greater than that, you'll need the paid version and then you can get thousands of databases, so it's very scalable. The extra resources required to add databases are very small.

The Oracle Database support is not very good, unfortunately.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Negative

The setup is easy, but administering the new architecture is complex for DBAs.
The advantage is that, compared to the old architecture, it's totally transparent for developers and end-users. It has no impact on developers or end-users, so it's great for them.

Migrating one environment from the old architecture to multitenant architecture can take approximately two days. It's important to plan because there can be some downtime. Unless it's a large company, one in-house DBA can deploy the solution.

Like us, most customers use the free version. I believe that licensing for the paid version costs around €20,000 per year.

What other advice do I have?

There are only benefits to using this solution. You get more databases for the same price and the same disk footprint. My advice to DBAs is to be aware that this product is more complex than it was with the old architecture and there's quite a lot to learn so don't neglect that aspect - it's the future.

I rate this solution 9 out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Customer/Integrator
Download our free Relational Databases Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Microsoft, IBM, and more!
Updated: September 2022