We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Samuel Rothenbuehler
CTO Enterprise Cloud at Amanox Solutions (S&T Group)
Top 5Popular
It delivers full visibility down to a single virtual disk and every hardware component.

How has it helped my organization?

We can troubleshoot customer issues (e.g. crashes, performance issues etc.) very quickly and efficiently since we know exactly how the infrastructure should behave and what performance values are to be expected.

Nutanix delivers full visibility down to a single virtual disk (e.g. a VMDK file) and every single hardware component. Predefined health checks are executed during a support case which will in most cases already narrow down the root cause considerably if not point it out directly.

Most of our customers actually don’t manage their Nutanix environment at all since common tasks such as LUN provisioning, zoning, permission settings etc. don’t apply any longer.

What is most valuable?

• Very easy management (e.g. daily tasks and also major upgrades)
  • Simple and fast to implement as a partner
  • Very mature and stable with outstanding Nutanix support if needed (we are a L1 and L2 support partner as well)
  • Potential to replace 80-90% of all customer use cases we see in Switzerland

We've been partners for nearly three years, and have been building Nutanix based customer solutions during that time.

The Nutanix customer service is outstanding and easily the best from all vendors we work with. Usually an answer is provided within the first 10 minutes and the staff is very skilled. thanks to the high degree of standardization we are able to quickly resolve most issues (we know the whole stack).

Outstanding! We get an answer usually within 30 minutes often this solves the issue or at least show progress.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Our company is fully committed to new technologies and ways to build data centers using hyper convergence, software defined networking etc. We did not (and have no plans) to sell traditional solutions.

It used to be more work about one and a half years ago. Today, the whole installation process is fully automated and orchestrated. Since NOS 4.5 everything needed is pre-installed at the factory and only the desired hypervisor image (ISO files) need to be uploaded. Then, the cluster will stage itself automatically. The size of the cluster is secondary to the implementation time except for rack and stack of course.

Since we are a Nutanix partner we implement and give support ourselves for customers directly and for other partners as well.

I don’t have any figures available at the moment. Nutanix is most attractive when comparing the full cost (TCO) including CAPEX and also OPEX. Regarding licensing, we most commonly sell the pro license which covers the vast majority of customer user cases.

It is especially interesting to see the development of customers starting to see the included KVM based hypervisor (Acropolis) which results in significant cost savings for hypervisor licensing (e.g. vSphere or Hyper-V) depending on the customer use case.

As a VMware partner we also evaluate VSAN in our lab as a possible alternative but this solution lacks many of the Nutanix advantages. I compared VSAN to Nutanix some years ago when Nutanix was purely a storage layer.

Today, Nutanix offers end to end management, visibility and standardization which offers maybe the biggest benefit. I am personally also not a big fan of the VSAN object storage approach (as opposed to the Nutanix or EMC ScaleIO block based implementations) which causes many bottlenecks and architecture limitations.

What other advice do I have?

This is the Nutanix management web interface.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner
Senior Account Executive - All Things Software Defined at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Simple to set up with great features and extremely responsive technical support
  • "The solution remains stable across versions."
  • "There should be a little more access to Nutanix files."

What is our primary use case?

A majority of my clients are those who are looking to either move away from VMware or clients who are looking for maybe a little more out of HyperV. Naturally, they look towards the top of the list. We have seen a lot of customers drop VMware due to the cost.

We're also seeing a lot of customers who want a couple of features, similar to VMware with the capacity of a cloud, et cetera. They want that, however, they don't have it to their HyperV. Instead of moving to VMware, they work with Nutanix.

What is most valuable?

There's a mix of multiple features that I like. A lot of our clients like the fact that it is easy to update and upgrade their clusters via an interface using LCM.

The initial setup is quite simple.

The solution remains stable across versions.

Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

We haven't come across any issues. Our clients haven't seen any issues with Nutanix at all.

There should be a little more access to Nutanix files. As it is right now you have one type of Nutanix file at no additional cost. Most customers have a little more than a one-byte file server. An initial byte size could be a little more than one terabyte.

I've been using the solution for maybe five or six years.

Even when we do initial deployments, before we run the update for the newest versions, even the older version is quite stable for us. When we move to a new version, of course, it becomes even better.

The scalability is quite good. With the introduction of some smaller branch office nodes, it has given a lot of our customers the ability to scale from a small setup and then to grow up accordingly. For instance, we have some customers who may start off with some of the larger clusters and then scale by adding small branch office nodes. It's very flexible.

At this time, we have about 35 deployments of the product.

We have plans to increase usage. We have customers who are in a cycle right now of increasing the capacities via the expansion of nodes. We also have clients who are adding on or upgrading from other Nutanix options.

We've never had any issue in terms of getting Nutanix support. We have a team of trained Nutanix engineers at hand, however, we do, from time, reach out to Nutanix directly both for our work cluster, as well as on behalf of our customers.

We've never had any instances of a long waiting time. They're always responsive and get back to us on anything that has to be escalated. It's quite a smooth and simple process.

The implementation process is extremely straightforward. It's no more than two to three days to do entire migrations for VMware. We utilize the Nutanix move tool to help us with our processes as well.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners and we partner directly with Nutanix. We're also resellers.

I'd advise the solution is definitely something that a company should go for. One of the major things is that Nutanix allows you to move from VMware to Acropolis and it also allows you to move back. There is no harm in actually trying out Nutanix Acropolis and seeing how it works out.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohamed-Mostafa
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Amazing Software-defined HCI solution that perfectly fits customers' business & security needs.
  • "It is 100% stable. It's the most stable infrastructure that we have."
  • "There is room to enhance the micro-segmentation."

What is our primary use case?

I meet many customers on a weekly basis and there has been always one common question in almost every meeting. Which HCI Solution is the Best for me?

in order to be able to answer this question, I had studied many HCI solutions in the Market and deeply analyzed the Pros & Cons of all major solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

The HyperScale Architecture which Nutanix adopted from day one is a game-changer, it enabled my customers to scale with no limits & give them their freedom back by avoiding Hardware & Hypervisors locking.

What is most valuable?

- Support Calls are being answered directly by L3 Support team who are capable to solve not only Acropolis issue but hypervisor as well.

- One-Click Updates.

- One Management Console for Cluster Management ( Compute, Storage ) and VMs operations as well.

- Storage Only Nodes.

- Having multiple HW Vendors & Hypervisors in the same Data centre and manage all with one management tool.

What needs improvement?

having more integrations with security vendors to be able to introduce more Virtual Load Balancers and Virtual Firewalls.

I have been using Nutanix Acropolis for three years.

It's the most stable infrastructure we had ever proposed.

Customers love the Nutanix experience and keep on adding more nodes to cover more business needs.

It's the only solution that can scale properly — there is no limitation on the number of nodes that a customer can have in the same cluster.

Customers can expand at any time the storage layer by adding just storage nodes, which will not only expand the capacity but also will enhance the performance as each node comes with something called a virtual controller. So scalability-wise, we're only expanding the storage with no obligation to pay for additional hypervisors license.

Their support is amazing. When we open a support ticket, there are always level-three engineers who respond to your calls. What I also love about the support is that whenever we open a call, usually it gets routed to the last engineer who already knows our environment. The support is Amazing.

The initial setup is very easy. It didn't take more than three days to implement this solution.

Never lock your self with a specific vendor.

if you are considering vXRail, for example, you need to pay attention that you will be locked in so financially speaking if you have an expansion, you can do it with Dell only leaving no space for healthy pricing competition & don't be surprised if they don't give you the same initial discount because simply you are already locked in!

& The same goes for VMware, you would be locked in with VMware only. VMware license nowadays is not cheap, it's costly so eventually, you will find your annual spending are exceeding your budget and you no option but to buy from them.

If you are a new customer to Nutanix start with a Cloud Bundle; they are very cost-effective and they can fit any requirement.

Cisco HyperFlex

Dell vXRail

Hp Simplivity

What other advice do I have?

Always go for AHV Option because VMware is costly, especially if you're considering not only the hypervisor cost but considering vRealize Operations, Automation and NSX on top.

Nutanix will help you to wave out the hypervisor TAX which is not less than 20 % of any infrastructure initial setup cost

FD at Alpha 55
Offers the budget and scalability for any size enterprise
  • "It has a user-friendly dashboard and interface."
  • "One thing to keep in mind is that only experts can use it. It has to be in the proper hands, instead of going to XYZ people just for some cost savings. So lift-and-shift and migrations might be tricky, because it is not like a VMware."

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the user-friendliness of that hypervisor. Also, people who are not agnostic about the hardware can go with Nutanix. It has a user-friendly dashboard and interface.

Pros, it's an OEM kind of a hypervisor. It can fit to any size. Pros are that any enterprise company can fit in with it, and that budgets are also not heavy on their pockets. So, these are the pros of Nutanix.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, their local people in this region are not good, to be frank. They don't support any inquiry. They don't support anything we need, especially for projects. So either we need to bypass them or we need to get support from the other regions.

I would say that applies from the sales cycle to the support.

The sales cycles is a very closed group kind of thing. Cons, region-wise, sometimes it's a monopoly. And the pricing factor is there. Plus, they are not open and transparent.

Procurement can be an issue as well.

Plus I don't see any updates happening in this region in terms of what's cooking in the head offices. It should be updated and alerted to the partners. For example, recently Nutanix has done many things in its acquisitions. What new features are going to be added? Certainly partners and other people should have a right to know. And they may gain advantage, an edge, over the other products when they are pitching this.

As for what I would like to see in future releases, maybe the cloud things which were very recently added. What is the roadmap for the cloud and what are there exactly? These things are very new to Nutanix now. That should be more transparent. What is their good part, like Azure or AWS? I would like to know these things. They just need better documentation in general.

I began using Nutanix Acropolis AOS about five or six years ago.

Their stability depends on how agnostic they are. It depends on if I'm using super micro hardware or it depends on if I'm using HPE. So, it's stable. I don't think we are having any issues. It is mostly a stable product. The main issue with stability would be related to the hardware, not to the actual solution.

Scalability depends on the customer. If the customer is savvy they can just add maybe SSDs or something which the KC doesn't support, or something which is out of the box from the hardware which was procured previously. Then we would face issues in the scalability. Or maybe a limit to that addition which was purchased some time back.

We don't require support, as we have in house expertise.

The initial setup is straightforward. We have worked on many products, including VMware and others. It is not complex. I would even say the portal is not so complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that it's a simple to use product. It fits all sizes and it is budget-friendly.

One thing to keep in mind is that only experts can use it. It has to be in the proper hands, instead of going to XYZ people just for some cost savings. So lift-and-shift and migrations might be tricky, because it is not like a VMware.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Nutanix Acropolis AOS a nine.

Chief Information Officer and Program Lead at Gatron Industries Ltd
Best support, good performance management, and good availability and failure debugger
  • "There are a lot of features in Nutanix that are different from other hyper-converged solutions, such as site-to-site replication. VM-based site-to-site replication is bundled with the software licensing. For the DR, it has the availability groups, which is one of the key features that Nutanix provides."
  • "The only problem is that not many operating systems are supported on the AOS hypervisor. They need to probably increase the support on multiple operating systems. As of now, a very limited number of operating systems and patch levels are supported on AOS."

What is our primary use case?

We have three clusters of Nutanix. We are using Nutanix Clusters for all of our Intel-based workload. The majority of applications are Oracle databases, application servers, our file services, email hosting, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

The machines provisioning times have reduced drastically. The single pane of glass management provides ease of management.  Storage

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features in Nutanix that are different from other hyper-converged solutions, such as site-to-site replication. VM-based site-to-site replication is bundled with the software licensing. For the DR, it has the availability groups, which is one of the key features that Nutanix provides.

Its performance management is pretty good, especially the software-defined storage that Acropolis provides is pretty good.

As far as the availability is concerned, it has RAID nodes, so the availability is pretty good. In case of failure, the system automatically shifts machines from one node to another. Their failure debugger is very good.

What needs improvement?

In terms of additional features, a lot of backup solutions have integration with AOS, but not many backup solutions provide a solution for VM backup. So probably, in the next release, they can make the backup solutions compatible with AOS for VM backups. It would be great.

We've been using this solution for the last three years.

The solution is rock solid, no software issues or compatibility issues may be because we are using it over

It is primarily a scale out solution. New nodes can be added pretty easily and workload can be divided on the fly including that of Software Defined Storage that comes with Nutanix Hyperconverged Solution.

I am very satisfied with their support. Nutanix has probably one of the best support in the hyper-converged industry. Whenever there is a problem, they usually fix it within hours.

VMWARE and Hyper-V are good alternate solutions but if you are using AOS on a Nutanix Hyperconverged solution, than AOS provides better integration with the solution. If the requirement is to fully leverage Nutanix Hyperconverged solution than AOS is the go to hypervisor.

Its setup is very straightforward. You just have to plug in the nodes and power them up. That's it. It will automatically rebuild itself and be available. It is shipped pre-configured.

There are three variants in AOS pricing.

The Evaluation included VMWARE and Hyper-V. The software defined features required including software defined storage, Performance throughput, scale out architecture etc which were not directly related to hypervisor selection but more geared towards Software Defined Data Center put Nutanix Hyperconverged and to fully leverage its functionalities put AOS in front.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Nutanix Acropolis AOS a nine out of 10. It is pretty good.

Presales Consultant at taktik
Excellent support, good disaster recovery capabilities and allows for business continuity
  • "The scalability is great."
  • "While their overall Nutanix Bible is good, they are lacking good descriptions for particular scenarios that might be helpful to many users."

What is our primary use case?

We are the service partners. Generally, we are taking care of the Nutanix systems for the customer.

One customer, for example, uses it widely in a hospital environment.

What is most valuable?

The support is quite good.

We have found the solution to be stable. It offers good performance.

The scalability is great.

The product offers a general easy configuration of disaster recovery. That's the major thing. Disaster recovery and business continuity are very good.

What needs improvement?

Frankly speaking, there are some issues. For example in the newer version could be better. If there could be good documentation in some instances. While their overall Nutanix Bible is good, they are lacking good descriptions for particular scenarios that might be helpful to many users.

In the next release, I would like to have a multi-tenant environment. That way, you could set up a special VM for a special group of people and the other group will not be able to see certain things. It would make the solution better.

I've used the solution for about three years at this point. We've used it for a while.

The hypervisor is very stable. Overall, the performance is good. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and it doesn't have bugs or glitches.

The product is absolutely scalable. A company can expand it if it needs to. It's not a problem.

We have three people currently using the solution.

The technical support on offer is the best part of the product. They are excellent. We are extremely satisfied with their level of service.

I've found the product to be absolutely easy to install.

However, for this particular system, it's hard. It takes longer to do the hardware. Physically it may take about three hours.

You do not need a lot of people for the deployment or maintenance. It's a one-man show. The person also does not need to be overly technical or specialized in Nutanix to be able to handle the implementation or maintenance.

ROI is hard to calculate, as we are in Eastern Europe, where the pricing may be different or higher than in other places, however, we do expect an ROI with this product within three years or so.

I'm a technical person. I don't directly deal with licensing costs or arrangements, and therefore cannot speak to pricing.

We did look at other solutions before ultimately deciding on Nutanix. We choose Nutanix due to the fact that it's easier to operate and maintain.

What other advice do I have?

We are a partner of Nutanix.

I'd recommend the solution to others as its stability is so reliable. Companies should strive towards finding a good management system. It's far worse without this.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Driftchef at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It has a good interface with lots of management features packaged at an affordable price
  • "Acropolis has a great interface and lots of management features packaged with it at an affordable price."
  • "We ran into an issue as a managed service provider because Acropolis isn't designed to be used the way we are running it. For example, if we want to deploy a Kubernetes service, the customer networks need to reach our protected cluster network. We have isolated our customers in separate VLANs. However, our customers' networks must access our cluster network to get features like iSCSI or Kubernetes to run. It's challenging."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed service provider (MSP) using Acropolis AOS to host our customers' servers and data.

What is most valuable?

Acropolis has a great interface and lots of management features packaged with it at an affordable price.

What needs improvement?

We ran into an issue as a managed service provider because Acropolis isn't designed to be used the way we are running it. For example, if we want to deploy a Kubernetes service, the customer networks need to reach our protected cluster network. We have isolated our customers in separate VLANs. However, our customers' networks must access our cluster network to get features like iSCSI or Kubernetes to run. It's challenging.

I've been looking forward to Layer 3 networking, which Nutanix is expected to add to Acropolis soon. When I think of a feature I would like to implement, I check the Nutanix site to see if it's coming. Layer 3 networking is a release candidate right now. It's on the roadmap already. They're working on all of the features that I want.

Acropolis is stable.

Acropolis is scalable. We are increasing the usage every day, and we are planning to purchase a couple of nodes more soon. We have maybe 300 virtual machines and 30 customers.

Nutanix support is good. We contact support when we have any problems, and they quickly put us in touch with the senior technicians.

We switched to Acropolis from an older Hyper-V cluster. It was old — not outdated per se — but it lagged in terms of feature sets like hosting containerized solutions and things like that. Acropolis gave us a solution that improved a lot of areas.

For example, they have built-in firewalls for the services if we want to use them. We use a different solution for firewalling our customer environment, but I would say that the feature sets are developing rapidly. They come out with new features every year, and it feels like they are on top of developing new things to implement in Acropolis.

Deploying Acropolis was quite easy. It took a little bit of light tinkering to get everything to work with the VLANs and isolate all the networks in the beginning. I and my colleague went into our data center and put everything into place then configured everything, so it was straightforward. Also, you only need one person to maintain these nodes.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Acropolis AOS eight out of 10. If someone is thinking of implementing Acropolis, it's essential to read the documentation and use any technical resources you can use with Nutanix before deploying it. They need to know what they're doing before deploying a Nutanix solution. Before deploying, I would suggest reading all the documentation and talking to a Nutanix expert. Everything needs to be correct when deploying it because it's harder to adjust everything after.

Thein Lin
System Engineer at Cloud Vision
Scalable and offers high availability, but needs better fault tolerance

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily a backup product that works with Nutanix.

We tend to use it for our customers. If they find some errors, we go to troubleshoot or we cooperate with the Nutanix team to get things sorted.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the fact that it doesn't need any downtime even when you are updating the product.

The solution offers HA, high availability.

The solution is easy to set up.

We find the product to be very stable.

The scalability is quite good.

Nutanix offers good pricing.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

There is a feature in Nutanix called fault tolerance that could be improved. It exists in the VMware hypervisor, whoever, it does not exist here. It really needs to.

To run a fault tolerance feature in Nutanix you need the time to reset the VM and to repair or to recall the backup VM. Therefore, you need a little bit of downtime. Conversely, in VMware, with the fault tolerance feature, if you want to use the fault tolerance feature, it doesn't require any downtime.

I've been working with the solution for three years.

The stability has been very good so far. If there are any errors, we always get alerts. We haven't had a problem with any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem. You don't have to worry about downtime either, as you don't need to have downtime in order to scale up. You just expand the nodes to the cluster and go from there.

Technical support is okay. Usually, we try to handle it for our clients. When there is an error on the customer side, we go and find the error. However, if the error is beyond our reach, we query a case to Nutanix and they can have people onsite. We phone them.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. I wouldn't describe the process as overly complex or difficult.

The pricing is not too high if you compare it with other products, as it already has software and hardware together, and it doesn't need too much other equipment. The price seems reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We provide server and hardware support. We focus on Nutanix and offer it to our clients. We are a distributor. We are a partner of Nutanix in Malaysia.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. If a company doesn't want an overcomplicated solution or if they want to use the hardware with a similar solution, this is a good bet. It's easy to set up and use with Nutanix products and you don't need too much in order to begin scaling.

Download our free Nutanix Acropolis AOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.