IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is #2 ranked solution in top Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) tools and #3 ranked solution in top Remote Access tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Remote Desktop Services an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is most commonly compared to TeamViewer: Microsoft Remote Desktop Services vs TeamViewer. Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Remote Access Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Microsoft Remote Desktop Services?
Remote Desktop Services is a server role in Windows Server that provides technologies that enable users to access session-based desktops, virtual machine-based desktops, or applications in the data center from both within a corporate network and from the Internet. Remote Desktop Services enables a rich-fidelity desktop or application experience, and helps to securely connect remote users from managed or unmanaged devices.

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services was previously known as Remote Desktop Services, MS Remote Desktop Services.

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Customers
Bank Alfalah Ltd.
Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Video

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Remote Desktop Services pricing:
  • "The pricing could always be improved."
  • "Its licensing is on a yearly basis. We're on the educational or academic license, and our terms are good. We're very happy with the pricing."
  • Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Reviews

BHARAT B  SHARMA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Shreenathji Solutions
    Easy to set up and reliable, but needs an additional control panel
    • "You can scale the product."
    • "We've had issues with security breaches."

How has it helped my organization?

It's helped with cutting costs and making access easier. People can work remotely using this product. For remote billing, it's working well.

What is most valuable?

The ability to access the computer from a remote location is great. With the Windows Server as a client, we can use more than one computer at a time. The initial setup is simple.  It's a stable solution. You can scale the product.

What needs improvement?

We've had issues with security breaches. The main problem is that if we are using this with the individual computer and using a remote desktop, there are some loopholes there. When I implemented this on an individual computer within two or three days it got captured. There is a problem with the printing and sharing of this program. There is a lot of customized software leaving the market due to this. If somebody wants to run a specific program with the specific settings, they don't want full access to the computer. Then there are some problems that have to be resolved. We'd like to have an additional control panel available in order o more easily give resources to the computers. There are a lot of restrictions and having a program panel would make things easier. It would help us set up the right access and permissions.

We've been using the solution for 20 years. It's been a long time.
    Remote Access
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, TeamViewer, Citrix and others in Remote Access. Updated: June 2022.
    608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. If it is configured properly, then it'll not create any problems in between. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability depends on the server size. It does not scale on a personal computer, however.

The solution can be configured in such a way that you are able to maintain it yourself. We've never had to reach out to technical support for assistance.

For printer redirection, we are using third-party software. We've used Citrix and VMware in the past.

The implementation is very straightforward. If there are some problems or if clients have installation issues, that can be solved by the technician and it's very easy. I'd rate the implementation a three out of five in terms of the ease of the process.  It does not take too much time due to the remote desktop. You just have to do some settings on the server or computer. We only need about three people to handle deployment tasks.

I'm a consultant and an integrator. I never call up a third party to help with implementation.

The solution is not too expensive. It's moderately priced. I'd rate it a three out of five in terms of affordability.

What other advice do I have?

We are using this and Windows Server and Windows 10 or Windows 9, whatever is available. Normally this is a private cloud, however, right now, a lot of our customers are on AWS and they're using it from the cloud, also. I'd advise new users to first gather good knowledge and do some planning before the implementation.  I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: integrator/consultant
    Senior Software Analyst at a university with 201-500 employees
    Great screen draw feature; option of using two monitors is very useful
    • "Good screen draw feature and ability to use two monitors."
    • "Lacks a notification feature when internet is down."

What is our primary use case?

When I'm in the office I use the solution to connect to another server to look at files or services that are running, things like that. When working from home I use it to connect to our VPN and then to my work computer and pretty much do everything that way. I'm a senior software analyst at an educational institution and I believe we have a partnership with Microsoft.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of Covid, the solution has given those stuck at home the ability to continue working.

What is most valuable?

I think the price of this product is great. The solution allows me the option of using two monitors. I like the screen draw in Remote Desktop, it's better than GoToMyPC, which I've used previously although the improvement could also be related to a better internet connection over the past six months.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if there was a feature that notifies you when the internet is down so you're not working for nothing, it should be something that pops right up where you can see it. The internet is always going to go down and the product seems to notice that it's down before my VPN notifies me that it's gone down. You're working and nothing's happening and it takes time to get the notification.

For an additional feature, I'd like to see Remote Desktop specify which computer Zoom meetings will run on. I've joined a couple of sessions from home, and when I turn on my video, all you see is my empty desk chair at the office.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

Scalability is not really relevant but the solution is used by a fair number of the IT staff.

I've never needed to use technical support.

I previously used GoToMyPC because I used to do upgrades from home at night. We were paying for that solution which wasn't necessary with the free Microsoft option. I used both of them for a short time and realized Remote Desktop really seemed to draw the screen better and also everybody else was using it.

The initial setup is straightforward. You've got to have the IP address of the computer you're connecting to - in our organization it's managed by our network manager.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I rate this product an eight out of 10.

Remote Access
    June 2022
    608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ArtemPavlenko - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Infrastructure Director at Halyk Bank
    Allows for secure remote work with clipboard blocking capabilities and good reliability
    • "The solution is scalable."
    • "The training profiles could be better."

What is most valuable?

The main feature for us is the ability to block a copy to the clipboard, which we can provide for our users. Sometimes we have to provide only remote desktop features without the ability to copy the content of the remote desktop. The clipboard provides the ability to connect desktops to our users. It's a secure way to work remotely.

It's pretty easy to set up once you are used to the process.

The solution is scalable.

It's pretty stable.

What needs improvement?

It's not as reliable a protocol as, for example, Citrix.

The training profiles could be better.

I'd like to have more granular remote profiles.

We'd like to see on-site multi-fact authentification.

We've been using the solution for around ten years.

The solution is stable. I haven't had any issues whatsoever. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product is very scalable.

We have about 8,000 users.

Technical support is okay, however, it could be better.

The problem is sometimes I cannot find the right professional. Maybe later I will subscribe to a dedicated professional for me, as sometimes it's difficult to describe my landscape. We lose little time dealing with this. That said, when I work with my dedicated professionals from the Microsoft team, everything becomes much better.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We also use Citrix. We've been using both for about the same amount of time.

It's easy when you work together with those technologies, however, the biggest advantage of Citrix is it is a more reliable protocol. Secondly, it's easier to connect devices. Citrix training profiles are also much better.

When we moved to Citrix, we found that the technology needs much lower bandwidth for our internal network. We need fewer people to support our users. It's much easier to scale when we talk about Citrix.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Maybe it's a little bit difficult the first time, however, in our case, we have about three or five solutions professionals who are using these technologies day by day. It's not difficult for them.

We have five people who basically maintain the solution. They are enough for a company that has 8,000 people on the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Microsoft client.

I'd rate the solution a six out of ten.

Chinthaka Kannangara - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network System Engineer at VSIS
    Secure with a good level of performance and an easy initial setup
    • "The performance meets our requirements and the stability is good."
    • "We'd like, in the future, if it would work with Linux or Unix-based operating systems or even Mac."

What is most valuable?

As an internal Microsoft product, we find it very trustworthy. It's quite secure. It connects easily to Windows operating systems on devices.

The performance meets our requirements and the stability is good.

The solution scales well.

The setup process is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution is under the Microsoft infrastructure and therefore does not allow for service under other operating systems. We'd like, in the future, if it would work with Linux or Unix-based operating systems or even Mac.

Although I don't use it consistently, I have used it for ten to 15 years. It's a pretty old solution.

The solution is stable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

The scalability is okay. Sometimes we deploy a server-client scenario, so many clients can connect to the same server and they can log in at the same time simultaneously. There's no issue with scalability in that sense.

We have 50 users on the product currently.

We've never had any real issues. I haven't dealt with technical support.

In terms of the initial setup, the implementation process is simple and straightforward. It's not difficult.

Since it is not a new solution, most of the engineers know how to deploy and how to operate it; we are not waiting for further technical documents for assistance.

Since it was quite easy to deploy, we did not need any outside assistance from integrators or consultants.

What other advice do I have?

While it's connected to the cloud, it's a solution that is currently on-premises.

I'm not sure if we are using a specific version. Whatever options that come with Microsoft, we use that. Since they upgraded Microsoft (for example, earlier it was Microsoft XP, and Windows 7, 8, 9, 10, et cetera), the options come up throughout those operating systems. We use whatever they offer.

I would recommend the solution to others. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten. We've had a good experience with it over a number of years.

Jim Graue - PeerSpot reviewer
    Support Technician at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
    Offers a very secure network by enabling restriction of user numbers and accessibility when required
    • "The solution now includes a multi-screen feature which is great."
    • "Sometimes difficult to set up without the requirement for login credentials each time."

What is our primary use case?

We predominantly use RDS to connect up to a computer and a LAN. We are non-profit and help other non-profits with their technology. We are customers of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

This is a user-friendly solution and I'm very pleased that RDS now includes multi-screen. If you're remotely controlling a system that has two monitors, you can split and have your own, it's a nice feature. I like the ubiquity of the product, the fact that it's around as a protocol, and that it can be utilized at the admin level to look at any console that one might need. You don't need to think about it very much. Of course, the fact that it uses an active directory for security and authentication is pretty nice. It helps secure a network to a large extent because you can really restrict the number of users and accessibility if needed. Those are all good things.

What needs improvement?

I've sometimes had trouble setting up an RDS connection if I want a specific user to be able to log in with their credentials and have the RDS element retain those settings so that the password isn't required each time. There can be issues with that.

I've been using this solution for many, many years.

I've got no issues with the stability of RDS.

I don't have much to offer regarding scalability. We use RDS predominantly for admin connection to other servers in a network. I might log into one computer in a remote network and then use RDS to get from that server to a different server but that's as far as it goes.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward, especially if you're familiar with the solution. Most organizations we deal with have a technician, or at least a network administrator who deals with any day-to-day issues. We generally maintain the operating system for these organizations and we run updates on them all the time.

What other advice do I have?

There's nothing to be afraid of with this solution. I don't have any problems with it, it's great for me.

I rate this solution 10 out of 10.

Technical Manager at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Very user friendly, has smooth connectivity and works with a low bandwidth
    • "The solution has very smooth connectivity and is very user friendly."
    • "Updates sometimes impact the application and we have system crashes."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a technical manager and we are customers of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very smooth connectivity and is a very user friendly product. An additional advantage is that it works with very low bandwidth.

What needs improvement?

We've had a few occasions when the application has crashed suddenly, possibly due to updates. Microsoft updates should not directly impact the application and rather than releasing post hotfixes, it would be better to carry out testing before releasing it to the environment. It's a challenge for us; the new application is upgraded, but there's an incompatibility. It should be the other way around - testing in the lab environment and then commercially released.

An additional feature we'd like to see would be cross-platform support. With more OSs in the market whether Microsoft, iMac or Android applications, it would be good to have a smooth transition between cross-platform support both in terms of operating system and in terms of devices. Moving from tabs to mobiles to desktops to laptops to notebooks - the transition between multiple OSs and multiple hardwares.

I've been using this solution for the last five years.

The solution is stable.

The product is scalable, we have over 500 users.

The quality of the technical support is quite good although it's often dependent on the quality of the Microsoft partner. If the partner is good, then support is good but if not, there can be issues.

The pricing in comparison to similar products is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest a UAT test on a smaller group or pilot deployment. Once you do a test run on the pilot deployment, then it should be rolled out for a larger base of users.

In terms of overall experience, I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Joe Appelgryn - PeerSpot reviewer
    Implementation Engineer at Border Business Systems
    Easy to set up, performs well, and saves us money on hardware costs
    • "The most valuable feature is performance."
    • "It could be made simpler from a management perspective."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Remote Desktop Services for small-scale virtual desktop applications. It is utilized for normal desktop usage.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution saves us time and money because running applications directly on the server means that we can use lower-priced, entry-level computers for the users.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is performance. We run all of our applications on the server and access them using this product, which is must faster than upgrading all of the desktops.

What needs improvement?

It could be made simpler from a management perspective.

It should be easier to set it up for desktop printing.

We have been using Microsoft Remote Desktop Services for about five years. When we started using this product, it was called Terminal Services.

This product is quite stable and we have never had any problems with it.

Given our usage, we have not had to deal with scaling this product.

I've worked with VMware Horizon and Citrix before.

VMware Horizon is easier to manage, although the Microsoft product is easier to install than other solutions.

The initial setup is relatively easy. In that regard, Microsoft is easier to install than the VMware ones that I've worked with, as well as Citrix.

We set everything up ourselves and I haven't had the need to consult anybody else for technical support.

The pricing could always be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product works well, it is fine for the purpose that we use it, and I recommend it.

ICT Infrastructure Specialist at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Very reliable and scalable, good pricing, and supports HTML5 web client
    • "The most valuable feature of this solution at the moment is the HTML5 web client. You get a browser experience, not just the terminal sort of client, and the integration with Azure multi-factor application."
    • "Its look and feel could be updated. In Azure Remote Desktop Services (RDS), which is a VDI solution, we would like to see linked clones. It is a Hyper-V solution, and it doesn't support linked clones and uses a lot of storage. That's why we don't use it. VMware has a similar solution that supports linked clones for the master image."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is two-fold. We use it for securing workplaces in our on-premise environment for remote users. We also use it for management. We manage most of our environments from a secure remote desktop in our data center. We connect through a remote desktop gateway with a two-factor application installed there.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution at the moment is the HTML5 web client. You get a browser experience, not just the terminal sort of client, and the integration with Azure multi-factor application.

What needs improvement?

Its look and feel could be updated.

In Azure Remote Desktop Services (RDS), which is a VDI solution, we would like to see linked clones. It is a Hyper-V solution, and it doesn't support linked clones and uses a lot of storage. That's why we don't use it. VMware has a similar solution that supports linked clones for the master image.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

It is very reliable.

It is very scalable. At the moment, we have around 2,000 users.

We have a Premier support contract, and it works great.

Its initial setup was straightforward. Because of COVID-19, we had to deploy workspaces for our users. It was fairly simple to deploy our RDS farm so that our users could work safely from home.

Its licensing is on a yearly basis. We're on the educational or academic license, and our terms are good. We're very happy with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Microsoft Remote Desktop Services an eight out of ten.

Download our free Remote Access Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, TeamViewer, Citrix, and more!
    Updated: June 2022