IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is #10 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics: Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse vs Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse?

The traditional structured relational data warehouse was never designed to handle the volume of exponential data growth, the variety of semi-structured and unstructured data types, or the velocity of real time data processing. Microsoft's SQL Server data warehouse solution integrates your traditional data warehouse with non-relational data and it can handle data of all sizes and types, with real-time performance.

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse was previously known as Microsoft PDW, SQL Server Data Warehouse, Microsoft SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse, MS Parallel Data Warehouse.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Customers

Auckland Transport, Erste Bank Group, Urban Software Institute, NJVC, Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, Tata Steel Europe

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Video

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse pricing:
"All the features that we use do not require any additional subscription or yearly fees."

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Reviews

System Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Less expensive than other high-end solutions this can be a powerhouse for small low-budget companies
  • "It is not a pricey product compared to other data warehouse solutions."
  • "It could be made more user-friendly for business users which would increase the user base."
  • "They need to incorporate a machine learning engine."

What is our primary use case?

In the past, our use case for the product was just to collect data from different data sources. Now, we are trying to build websites and the business intelligence layer above the SQL Data Warehouse.

What is most valuable?

In our economic situation, the price is really the most important consideration. It is not a pricey product compared to other data warehouse solutions like Oracle and similar products. It is less expensive, but it still achieves our goals and fulfills all our needs. So I think it is a comfortable solution for us and we can afford the price.

What needs improvement?

I think that building better data protection and a business intelligence layer over the SQL would be great and improve the product. If they could make it more like what Oracle in that way it would be good. We have to take the time and resources to build our own business intelligence when other products already incorporate such solutions.

If they could make it more user-friendly for business users it would be a more desirable product. Add a business intelligence layer that is user friendly and the user-base can grow.

I think they should also add a machine learning engine. This is one of the most important features of newer technologies that they currently do not have.

We have been using the solution for more than four years.

Data Warehouse does not have any issues related to the product itself when it comes to stability. Maybe there is more likely to be another issue in the network or conflicts and things of that nature that can cause instability. But the product itself is stable.

I think that theoretically, it is both possible and not that hard to scale. But I am also sure that the cloud would be easier to work with for the sake of scalability if scalability is the goal.

We have a dedicated team to work with the data warehouse which has between four to six members. The data warehouse is one of our main software solutions that we use on a daily basis. We need it for the tech that we use which focuses entirely on SQL Server.

We are looking to scale the usage by building a business intelligence layer over the data warehouse. The tech team is searching for how to implement that with the Microsoft SQL Server technologies. I think we are going to achieve this and expand the setup. So it is scalable in various ways.

We have not had to ask for any external help from technical support. Usually, the internal team we have is skilled enough to solve all the problems that we may encounter.

I think the initial setup was easy. I think you have to count the time that it would take to deploy in days rather than weeks.

The dedicated team where I work built the setup and we deployed this product by ourselves within your company.

We did not need a consultant or an integrator to help with the installation. The internal team that we have works to maintain the product, but they have other responsibilities as well. Sometimes, there will be two or three persons taking the responsibility of maintaining and working with the product on other levels. During the deployment, the entire team did the deployment. But right now, at most, there is only a two or three-person team that works with it consistently.

We do not have any external support contracts. All the features that we use do not require any additional subscription or yearly fees. We just only use features that we pay for on a one-time basis.

What other advice do I have?

For a small-sized company like ours, I really recommend this product. It can handle a big workload. I would say other products could not be better than Microsoft for small businesses with a lesser budget.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Microsoft SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse as a seven-out-of-ten.

Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with good technical support and great BI tools
  • "Tools like the BI and SAS are excellent."
  • "We find the cost of the solution to be a little high."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution to convert to different dashboards and to collect all of the metrics and data.

What is most valuable?

Most features on the SQL Server are quite useful to us. Its temporary functionality and the partitioning, searching, etc., are great.

Tools like the BI and SAS are excellent.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to connect something like ES that I can use on objects on our SQL Server.

We'd like to be able to understand how to export data to something like Semantic Technologies or like Graph DB. Some sort of easy export functionality would be a useful addition to the product.

The solution should offer better integration capabilities with other tools and languages.

For different deployment, companies may use different scripts. Sometimes we use SQL server data tools, however, sometimes we don't and it's not fast enough. There could be a bit of improvement in that regard.

We find the cost of the solution to be a little high.

I've been dealing with the solution for around ten years. It's been a decade.

The solution is stable. We have been using it for ten years and it hasn't given us any issues. I can't recall if there are bugs or glitches. The solution doesn't crash on us, or freeze. It's pretty reliable.

We've never had issues scaling if we needed to. If a company needs to scale, they can do so rather easily using this product.

We've reached out to technical support in the past and we've been very satisfied with their level of service. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

The pricing is a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall. It's never given us issues in terms of scaling or stability. Technical support is quite good. It offers some great features.

Download our free Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, Teradata, and more!
Updated: May 2022