Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is #15 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics: Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse vs Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse?

The traditional structured relational data warehouse was never designed to handle the volume of exponential data growth, the variety of semi-structured and unstructured data types, or the velocity of real time data processing. Microsoft's SQL Server data warehouse solution integrates your traditional data warehouse with non-relational data and it can handle data of all sizes and types, with real-time performance.

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse was previously known as Microsoft PDW, SQL Server Data Warehouse, Microsoft SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse, MS Parallel Data Warehouse.

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Customers

Auckland Transport, Erste Bank Group, Urban Software Institute, NJVC, Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, Tata Steel Europe

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Video

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Reviews

Syed SaqibGhawas - PeerSpot reviewer
Application Designer at LMKR
The admission tools, BI tools, and data warehousing tools are great
  • "The solution has been reliable."
  • "We'd like to see it be a bit more compatible with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data.

What is most valuable?

Everything about the solution is great. The admission tools, their BI tools, and data warehousing tools are all good.

The solution has been reliable. It's stable.

You can scale the product well.

The implementation process is great.

Its interface is good.

The tools are very good, efficient, and easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any need for new features.

We'd like to see it be a bit more compatible with other solutions.

It could be faster. Right now, Oracle is a bit quicker in comparison. We'd like the solution to handle a larger amount of data faster.

I've been using the solution for about five to six years.

Data Warehouse
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, Teradata and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: September 2022.
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The performance and reliability are good. We find it to be very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability of the product is great. It's easy to expand.

It's quite efficient in all the features that we're currently using it extensively. It's giving more and more function. et cetera.

Thousands of users currently using this product. For example, our clients are normally banks and the users are in the thousands. They normally use it each and every day.

I've never used technical support. Mostly I will Google questions to get help. I've never had a problem so big I had to call technical support for this.

I have used Oracle and I've used IBM Db2. I switched due to the job I had. Their new tool was SQL Server.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. We didn't have any issues implementing it.

It's very easy to use. You just follow the simple documentation and the setup is not more than 30 minutes.

I'd rate the process a five out of five in terms of ease of implementation.

I do not track ROI. A different part of the organization might follow this.

I'm not sure of the licensing costs of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization has a partnership with Microsoft right now.

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten. I do find that, when it comes to comparing it to Oracle and other tools, there are some better things available on other products. Oracle, for example, manages a large set of data, so, and it is more optimized and a bit faster.

StevenLai - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Data Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to protect our data, but the query runs very slow

What is our primary use case?

We have almost 20 years of historical data and use this solution to maintain the cube data. It ensures we don't lose the data.

What is most valuable?

We have ownership of our data, and it keeps everything on-premises, so we have complete control over our data.

What needs improvement?

The performance could be improved because the query is slow if we don't optimize it. And even if we optimize it, sometimes it still runs very slow.

It is deployed on-premises.

It is a stable solution.

It is scalable but takes some effort.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a five out of ten. I would advise anyone using this solution to find a good DBI.

Download our free Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, Teradata, and more!
Updated: September 2022