IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Dynamics GP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Dynamics GP is #20 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Dynamics GP an average rating of 6 out of 10. Microsoft Dynamics GP is most commonly compared to SAP S4HANA: Microsoft Dynamics GP vs SAP S4HANA. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Microsoft Dynamics GP?

Microsoft Dynamics GP is a complete enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution for small and medium-sized businesses. Dynamics GP helps you gain greater control over your financials, inventory, and operations. It’s easy to implement and use and empowers informed decisions that lead to business success.

Microsoft Dynamics GP was previously known as Dynamics GP, MS Dynamics GP.

Download the ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

Microsoft Dynamics GP Customers

Rural Metro, WASH Multifamily Laundry, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, Elcome International LLC, Batteries Plus Corporate Stores, Catalogic Software, Choate Rosemary Hall

Microsoft Dynamics GP Video

Microsoft Dynamics GP Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Dynamics GP pricing:
"For us, in our local currency, it costs us around 5 million Botswanan Pulas a year. It's quite a lot of money."

Microsoft Dynamics GP Reviews

AubreyMokgadi - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Accountant at a government with 51-200 employees
Robust system with a good integration manager but needs better budgeting features
  • "The solution offers integrations with other software as well. We have integration with Microsoft Office where we can do Word and Excel, etc."
  • "With payroll, the payroll that they have offers US or Canadian tax. However, here, our tax payments are different from the US and Canada. It is very difficult to put in our tax tables. We need some customization. It should be readily available for any country to use according to their tax implications. The system should know different types of tax regimes around the world so that it can accommodate. It's a little bit rigid on that."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our daily transactions, such as purchasing functions, sales functions, inventory management, and the whole general ledger, We also handle our financials and bank reconciliations such as bank management and cashbook management.

What is most valuable?

They've got a search feature called Smart Place that we find very useful. We can go through a whole lot of data from the past at any time from any origin. It actually takes you to the exporting functionality.

It's very convenient.

Currently, we are actually looking at Payroll. Payroll we haven't implemented yet, however, it's there within the system. We are using a standalone payroll system as of right now. That becomes costly because it's outside the licenses that we are paying for Microsoft Dynamics GP. It will be easier and cheaper if we roll everything together, which we may do in the future.

The solution has an Integration Manager. You can actually pull a budget from Excel into the system. You can take it in and/or out.

If you have closed your year, you can reverse for one year. It has some nice functionality. If you have virtually missed something, you can go back and correct it, and reverse the year. It autocorrects your journal. You don't have to recapture everything.

It is quite a robust system.

What needs improvement?

We don't have proper data management. We have a government scheme where we service people and help them with housing. We call it the Self Help Housing Agency, where we provide funding, then you pay back the money without interest. It's one area that the system doesn't seem to handle it properly. We initially needed a system that was focused on test management in that aspect due to the fact that we wanted a revolving account where the money that you pay back goes into the fund and it funds other beneficiaries as well. That way, it never ceases to operate. You pay back, it goes into the fund, somebody also applies and then the money he pays back and it revolves like that. That said, we are not using the system for that. It doesn't work in the way we need it to. If it did, we'd definitely use it.

We also have services that are mostly data management. We only now use it for subsistence for others when they are traveling in between the jobs. For example, when you're traveling to another area, you apply for a subsistence allowance. That's the main thing that we are only using it for. That said, now, for Self Help and service leverage manuals, we need to computerize it so that it becomes part of the system as well. That's one area that needs to be looked at and improved somehow.

The budget aspect could be improved. I have to do my budgeting outside of the system on Excel, then whatever that has been approved I need to upload to GP. However, I want a system where I can start with projections. It would be great to be able to project with all the notes and have it give me my final outline and upload it automatically into that system. I don't know if that is possible.

With payroll, the payroll that they have offers US or Canadian tax. However, here, our tax payments are different from the US and Canada. It is very difficult to put in our tax tables. We need some customization. It should be readily available for any country to use according to their tax implications. The system should know different types of tax regimes around the world so that it can accommodate. It's a little bit rigid on that.

I've been using the solution since 2008. It's been well over ten years at this point.

The solution is quite stable due to the fact that it's on-premise. It has maintenance utilities within itself, so you can just go in and run some maintenance or schedule it for daily backups and stuff like that. We don't experience bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Generally, we try to handle the maintenance internally. However, we've used consultancy for support in the past and have also had to reach out to Microsoft directly.

At one of the sites, we had a big problem whereby the data was corrupted or that looked like somebody had deleted something important. The technical support did assist us. We logged the issue with Microsoft Directory.

However, the main issue is we no longer have a go-in-between consultant or partner. Microsoft emphasizes partnership. They don't want you to deal with them directly. They'll say, "No, we've got a growing partner in the region. Try them." However, this time we went through them due to the fact that it was something that was within their system. They did ultimately help. They sent us to one of their partners in India. They helped the site get back on track. It was down for about two or three years, so they didn't close their financials for that period of time. However, now they are back on track.

We did previously use a solution called Cyborg back in the day. It had some components we needed. However, we've been with Microsoft since 1989. It's been a long time. We switched when we were able to get different modules.

I didn't handle the initial setup. It was more than ten years ago. On top of that, I might have been in support at the time. Now, I am a principal accountant. I just came into the role.

The maintenance mostly lies with the IT department. We have an IT department. They're the ones who go and do the routine maintenance for it. For major support or maintenance, normally we utilize our service level agreement and then we send tenders out. The respondents show their capabilities of skills and what their experience is. Then we adjudicate around that and select the best leader who will run a one-year or three-year contract.

We are just coming off of a three-year contract that ended in November. Due to COVID, we couldn't send it out again. The idea going forward is to self-sustain, self-support, and to cut off outsourcing costs. We're actually training ourselves to be at the level of the consultant.

The licenses should be centralized. We, as a local authority under the ministry of local government, have the government pay on our behalf, and they are quite strict. It's an annual licensing that we are signed up for. It's quite hefty. We have 28 sites within the country and each site has to pay its own license. It means they are decentralized. If it was centralized, then it would have been easy. We are actually thinking of centralizing the whole system in one place and to cut off a whole lot of maintenance of servers. That way, licensing can be cut because it's licensed per user. The solution charges on a per user basis.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business arrangement with Microsoft.

I'm using the 2016 version of the solution 2016 due to the fact that I'm working for a local authority here. It's a standard across the country. We are with the local government.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Chief Financial Officer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Outdated with bad UI and poor scalability
  • "The stability was reliable."
  • "This is now a legacy product, so they're phasing it out over time."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for accounting. We only use the accounting aspect of the product.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup was very easy. You do not need a lot of technical in-depth knowledge to handle the implementation.

The stability is reliable. It's quite stable.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the solution wasn't that great.

The product doesn't do consolidations. It was hard to navigate the solution and the UI, the user interface, wasn't any good, to be honest.

We found it hard to navigate and it had a very outdated UI so that the user experience wasn't good at all.

This is now a legacy product, so they're phasing it out over time.

The scalability was never very good.

We've been using the solution for the last 12 months or so. I've personally been using it for five-plus years or so. It's been a while.

The stability was good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is mostly reliable.

The scalability is poor. If it wasn't getting pushed out, it could be something that they improved on. However, Microsoft is no longer continuing with the product.

I had up to 25 to 30 users. They were accounts payable clerks, accounting managers, controllers, et cetera.

I can't speak to if the company plans to increase usage, as I no longer work there anymore.

We had technical support through an integrator and not necessarily through Microsoft directly.

We previously used QuickBooks. We're implementing Dynamics right now.

While I wasn't at the company for the initial setup, it is my understanding that the initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward and simple to execute.

I can't speak to how long the deployment took as I wasn't present during the process. It happened before I arrived.

We had in-house staff that managed the maintenance. We didn't require any new staff to manage it.

Our company used third-party integrators to handle the initial setup.

There is a yearly licensing fee that the company would have to pay, plus the cost of hosting and hybrid cloud costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are end-users and direct customers. We don't have a partnership or business relationship with Microsoft.

This product is at end-of-life and is an outdated product. Therefore, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to others. There are other options on the market.

In general, I would rate the solution at a three out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
ERP
April 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, SAP and others in ERP. Updated: April 2022.
596,970 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ricardo_Rodriguez - PeerSpot reviewer
Comptroller at BMA Group Global
User-friendly, great reporting, and offers good control
  • "You can track everything from beginning to end quite easily."
  • "The purchase order and processing aspects of the solution should be improved."

What is most valuable?

The solution has been great to work with so far. It offers a lot of control, which we really appreciate.

The product is very user-friendly and is easy to navigate.

You can track everything from beginning to end quite easily.

Their reporting is very extensive. If they cannot provide a certain report, they have a tool that is similar to a report writer that you can connect to and really customize the reports you need.

What needs improvement?

The purchase order and processing aspects of the solution should be improved.

In this latest version, they included mostly everything we currently require. The only thing that can be improved on is the way that transactions, for example, in account receivable, take place. When a customer makes a payment to us, it's unclear how to connect the software with the bank in order to properly identify the invoices and the amount of the payment the customer is paying us in order to apply those accounting and then close the invoices that are open. This would really save us a lot of time and energy if that aspect could be clarified or streamlined.

I've been working with the solution for about five years now, give or take.

The stability is good. We didn't have any issues with bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

The technical support is good. The company has its own developers on hand to answer any questions we might have. We're satisfied with the level of service we received.

The initial setup was a little complex. It's always uncomfortable when you are doing migrations from one system to the other and get the people to accept the new software or the newer ERP after they have worked for so long with another.

You have to learn a lot to set it up after the data is collected. We needed to make sure everything was properly displayed to the developers.

For us, the most complicated part is that it's a US-based software and we had to deal with a lot of tax regulations in Puerto Rico.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'm not sure of the exact version we are using currently. It might be version 10.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free ERP Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, and more!
Updated: April 2022