Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft BitLocker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft BitLocker is #1 ranked solution in top Endpoint Encryption tools and top Mobile Data Protection tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft BitLocker an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Microsoft BitLocker is most commonly compared to ESET Endpoint Encryption: Microsoft BitLocker vs ESET Endpoint Encryption. Microsoft BitLocker is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
Microsoft BitLocker Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft BitLocker Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft BitLocker?

BitLocker is a full disk encryption solution that protects your data from theft, hacking, and loss. BitLocker achieves this by encrypting the entire drive that hosts your operating system and all your data. BitLocker can work on all operating systems, drives, or devices, including portable storage devices.

After BitLocker completes the data encryption, it generates a recovery key. Only those with the correct encryption key will be able to decrypt and access the encrypted files and information. Attempts to access secured data on premises or over the network will be met with either authentication prompts or error messages saying the data cannot be accessed.

BitLocker provides its users with peace of mind by improving security and reducing risks of critical data loss and intrusions.

Benefits of Microsoft BitLocker

• Comprehensive data protection: BitLocker encryption provides increased security for data throughout its lifecycle, which starts with the creation and storage of the data and ends with its removal. Encryption prevents important data from being accidentally revealed or stolen. When data is encrypted, stealing data is more difficult, and hackers are often discouraged from instigating a cyberattack.

• BitLocker is free with Microsoft Windows: Microsoft BitLocker is free to use and very easy to set up.

• Good performance: BitLocker does not make the computer slow down or freeze when in use. You are free to work on other processes with BitLocker running in the background. BitLocker’s interface is very intuitive and the process of encrypting and decrypting data is straightforward and fast.

• Prevent unauthorized data modification: BitLocker helps to keep your computing environment safe from any unauthorized changes. BitLocker regularly inspects your boot settings every time your PC is turned on. When BitLocker notices that modifications have been made to your boot environment, it forces the PC to enter recovery mode.

Reviews from Real Users

Microsoft BitLocker stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its powerful encryption capabilities and its user-friendly user interface.

An ICT operations and security manager notes, “It is free and native to the OS. We don't have to worry about upgrades or maintaining the product. You encrypt the disk, and you save the recovery key. That's it. The person puts their password in, and after that, it is up to them. If they forget their password, they have to bring it in to get it unlocked.”

Kevin C., a director at Pathfinder, writes, “Theease of use is the most valuable feature. The ability to import data to build your frontend on top of the data is very simple and very useable.”

Microsoft BitLocker was previously known as BitLocker, MS BitLocker.

Microsoft BitLocker Customers

ACV, Proaxis Therapy, Choice Hotels International, adnymics GmbH, Intermedia, NMBS/SNCB

Microsoft BitLocker Video

Microsoft BitLocker Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft BitLocker pricing:
  • "I don't know the costs. In terms of Microsoft licensing, we are at E3 on the business, and we're in the process of pricing out and moving to E5. So, a lot of this is included within our licensing agreements."
  • "It is free. It is enabled as part of the operating system. Once you have an operating system license, you're licensed for Bitlocker."
  • Microsoft BitLocker Reviews

Information Security Manager at a renewables & environment company with 501-1,000 employees
    Brings us in compliance, works with our Microsoft tools, and is pretty simple to deploy
    • "I liked the way it works with our Microsoft tools. As we roll out Intune, we can validate if the device has been encrypted, and if not, we can push it down. It is pretty simple to deploy."
    • "The biggest one for us is revoking access. So, even though someone downloads something to a device, we want the ability to cloak that device or data and bring it back or make that data unusable for that person. Currently, BitLocker doesn't give us that ability. It basically encrypts it. We're seeing if identity management or IAM allows us to do that. We're kind of looking at third-party software that does that for us."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for encrypting data and storage for the most part. We keep it up to date in terms of the version.

How has it helped my organization?

It basically brings us in compliance. We are required to encrypt the handling of data, the transmission of the data, and storage of the data. So, when people are working with the data, and they download it to the laptops, we can safely say it is encrypted at that point to meet our requirements. It is pretty transparent to the end-user since the encryption is done without them really doing it.

Our need was to protect our portable devices. So, our thumb drives get automatically encrypted. Any attached storage gets automatically encrypted for our laptops in case they get lost or stolen when people travel.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Their interoperability with our tools, which are the Microsoft tool, can be improved. It needs to be geared towards more of the wraparound of the zero trust. There are solutions we're looking at that do encryption plus X, Y, and Z. So, we're looking at the ability to wrap around the product with other features.

The biggest one for us is revoking access. So, even though someone downloads something to a device, we want the ability to cloak that device or data and bring it back or make that data unusable for that person. Currently, BitLocker doesn't give us that ability. It basically encrypts it. We're seeing if identity management or IAM allows us to do that. We're kind of looking at third-party software that does that for us.

Usually, Microsoft sees what other third-party companies do and then either adopts it or buys the third-party company, and that's kind of what we're looking into. That's our need. It'd be a lot better if it was all under one mirror or one window, instead of having a couple of different vendors working on it. So, if Microsoft could solve that, it would be awesome. They should look at the third-party enhancements that people are doing, and then take the encryption a step further by adding those features to BitLocker. Microsoft has different components. They have identity management, but is it tied to encryption? BitLocker is mostly tied to devices, but it would be best for me if I get a piece of data and I am able to encrypt it all the way through using BitLocker. Currently, BitLocker is basically tied at the device level instead of the data level.

I would just like them to look at what other people are doing in terms of encryption as a whole and offer the encryption not only tied to the device, but also to the file level. They should add features on that in terms of access control and reporting. We should be able to see who has access to it and who has touched a file. So, we're going towards the zero trust model and the zero trust reporting. It is a "We don't trust anybody" type of deal. So, it is not just the device, it is the data. They should try to wrap it around the data at the file level and not at the device level.

Microsoft BitLocker
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BitLocker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

So far, so good. We haven't had too many problems with managing the keys or anything else. Probably the only concern is that we manage it. Individuals are not doing it themselves. The other thing is as we take over companies or merge companies, or the other way around, we have to make sure that we get those keys to the kingdom per se. So, we always got to look out for that as well.

So far, so good. Mostly, anything we deal with Microsoft is pretty scalable. Again, it is kind of tied to devices, but you can essentially manage it, which makes it simple.

In terms of its usage, we force it on everybody, so it is non-binding. No matter who you are in a company, if you have a managed device, it is going to be encrypted. It is a requirement, so it is being used extensively. Its usage will increase as the number of employees increase.

I don't think we've had many issues with them. We push it through our SolarWinds product, so for most of the issues we've had, we probably had to deal with SolarWind's side to make sure that everything was pushed correctly. We didn't go to the Microsoft side. Our software vendor might have dealt with Microsoft directly but not us.

The only solutions that we've had in place were standalone encrypted thumb drives. We had not rolled out BitLocker until then, so we had a need to encrypt thumb drives. We had bought Aegis thumb drives that came encrypted. After we got the encryption rolled out, when someone connected a thumb drive, it was automatically encrypted, or they couldn't store data on it. Once we went to that method, we didn't purchase any more Aegis encrypted thumb drives.

We have it on-prem, and we have a couple of devices in the cloud, but we are a hybrid environment. Our main thing was to get it on our traveling laptops and protect them. We push it through another vendor, not Microsoft. We push it through another SolarWinds vendor, and then we push it down. The only thing that we've had problems with was that the encryption level wasn't as high as we needed it by default. So, we had to do some tweaking to get the correct encryption level that we wanted. It is all default. So, you have to be aware of how you deploy it. If you deploy it one way, it doesn't really fully encrypt the machine.

It took days only because it was a slow rollout. It was intentionally a slow rollout. It didn't take long to do it, but we just wanted to make sure it was done right and correctly.

We just implemented it in-house. In terms of maintenance, it is a small staff. We rely on our software to help us with the patching and everything. We have reports that kickback to us. If for some reason, encryption was turned off or encryption wasn't deployed correctly, we'd get reports sent to us. So, a lot of stuff is automated in terms of monitoring the compliance to encryptions, and our response to that is pretty fast. We just manage it with our current staff. We don't have anybody directly tied to just doing that.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't implement this, you have to implement something else. You have to have some type of encryption. In the past, people wanted a layered approach to security. They wanted to have different vendors, and they wanted it to be able to have that overlap of vendor support on security, but the reality is that everybody looks to Microsoft. If you look at the SolarWind attack, who do they go to help resolve it? They went straight to Microsoft. Therefore, we're getting away from that thought process of divide and conquer. We're just trying to align everything up with a single pane of glass so that we can build on our Microsoft tools. In the past, we would have resisted being tied to one security.

I can't rate it any lower than eight out of 10. The only reason why I don't rate it a 10 is that they can do more with it. It is good at what it does, but it needs to do more. It is never going to get a 10 from me because it is never going to be perfect, but there is more to do.

ManojNair2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder/Director at Augesys Solutions Pvt Ltd
    Encrypts fast, embedded in the OS, and is reliable
    • "Feature-wise we have the ability to encrypt fast."
    • "The reporting in Microsoft is very minimal."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for encryption.

What is most valuable?

You have to do a bit of reading to understand the logic; however, after that, it becomes pretty straightforward to use it.

Feature-wise we have the ability to encrypt fast. This means when you enforce the policy and when you onboard a device via the Azure AD, it comes online pretty quickly. The speed at which BitLocker engages is pretty strong. That's a significant thing. You can even control your external devices, like your USB devices. You can allow or deny, or even encrypt those devices. There are lots of useful things like that available in this product.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, they should look at file encryption. When the files are being moved out or something, sometimes we need encryption in transit. Meaning when your system, your laptop you're using, the files are idle, then they are encrypted. And if you are sending the files out, let's say you're mailing the files out, that's data in transit. The encryption over there is controlled differently. It depends on what tool you're using for sending the files. However, the encryption is controlled there. The thing is, if you could have one single point of the solution, no matter if you're using Office 365 as an organization, to have just one encryption system across multiple systems, rather than having one BitLocker on the drive, then another encryption rule-set for sending an email, that would be easier.

Maybe the solution could use some more capability within the reporting system, et cetera. The reporting in Microsoft is very minimal. If you had a third-party tool, they will give you very high-level, very detailed reporting across various categories and conditions. Microsoft doesn't do that. That's a huge drawback in the system. You open the control, you get a lot of information; however, that information, you can't export.

I’ve been using the solution for almost a year now.

The solution is absolutely stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn’t crash or freeze. It’s reliable.

We currently have about 150 people using the solution across every level of the organization.

Scalability doesn't really come into play since it's applicable only to the endpoint. BitLocker is applied to the laptop. You can set the policy to apply to all the drives on the laptop, and you can set the policy when the system is starting up and ask for a pin or just run it without the pin when it starts up. All that stuff is configuration-driven. There's no issue with scalability there. It just applies to all the machines, and once encrypted, all the machines will report to the central consoles.

Technical support varies since Microsoft tech support is outsourced to other organizations partnering with Microsoft. Therefore, even though I'm raising a ticket with Microsoft, it can go anywhere across the globe. Eventually, it is a third-party organization that's representing Microsoft that will handle the ticket.

The problem is the individual's expertise will vary. Some of them are very well versed in a particular product. Some are not so well versed. Eventually what happens is if they're not so well versed, then they'll go back to the Microsoft documentation and give you details based on that, and they'll work it out with you. The important thing is they always make it a point to achieve case closure. I'm not saying that it's very brilliant, however, it does a very good job. 80-90% of the time, it actually works.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did not previously use a different solution, however, the critical thing to note is Windows 10 and 11 come with built-in encryption enabled. You have to disable that encryption. Only then will your centralized policy for BitLocker take over. Otherwise, it will throw up an error.

The initial setup is pretty simple. You might have to do a bit of education in terms of understanding the logic, however, after that, it’s all very simple.

For the actual deployment, basically, I did it in pieces. I did the initial deployment on my laptop. I had raised queries with Microsoft Support for this. Once I got the basic settings in place, I stabilized this as my policy, and then I drove it out to all my users.

I handled the initial setup myself. I didn’t need the help of any integrators or consultants.

You only have to pay for it. BitLocker is already present within the operating system. It's part of the OS. When you buy your laptop or a desktop, BitLocker is already present. The important thing here is the configuration part of it. BitLocker comes on your laptop, and it's 128-bit encryption, which comes by default. It's the unmanaged variety. The managed variety can be 128 or 256 bits. As a matter of industrial practice, we will all deploy 256 versions and there's no software cost coming in.

The important thing here is the deployment tool that you have. There are lots of tools in the market. Microsoft has an app called Intune, which gives you native control of the system. If you don't use Microsoft, if you don't have Intune, then you could look at some other products which give you control over the native encryption rather than deploying their own. Many products are there in the endpoint security domain which provides you encryption. If I decide to go that route, I will disable the BitLocker on both and I will apply this encryption software. However, I’m forced to rely on that encryption tool to do that management.

What other advice do I have?

I’m using the latest edition. I started off on a trial basis for a couple of weeks, and now I've taken it to production. All my laptops are now on BitLocker.

I’d rate the solution nine out of ten.

If you want a free solution and work on Microsoft, use Windows BitLocker. That should do the job for you. Unless otherwise explicitly required for business needs, Encryption is basically a compliance requirement from an audit compliance requirement perspective. Encryption of your hard drives is a compliance requirement. However, there are businesses and industries wherein the data has to be encrypted, and it’s mandatory. This is not an issue of compliance for them. It's a work requirement. In those kinds of scenarios, then you would have to probably look at third-party solutions, which give you something beyond just the basic encryption. If you want to do basic encryption and you have your Intune, just use that. No money needs to be spent. You just need to put a little effort into creating a policy to push and apply to all the systems. End of story. However, if you have something more significant, you may have to look at other solutions.

Microsoft BitLocker
    September 2022
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Manager - ICT at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
    Free to use with Windows 10 and easy to set up but needs to be easier to manage
    • "It's my understanding that the initial setup is straightforward."
    • "At the end of it all, we are looking for something that can be easier to manage."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint encryption.

What is most valuable?

We were using the solution due to the fact that it was free with the machines that have Windows 10. As an organization, we were not paying money to have it. If you have Windows 10 you don't have to worry about paying at all.

It's my understanding that the initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I was looking for a better solution. It's my understanding that if you're just to generate that endpoint encryption and you just run it normally, it may not give you the actual protection you need as you don't have a centralized server.

At the end of it all, we are looking for something that can be easier to manage. Everything that you need to do manually can end up being an issue. If it's a product that can be automated, I would be happier with it. Right now, with the way it is arranged, it's a bit manual as it isn't centralized.

I joined this company a year ago. I've used it just for a few months due to COVID, as we have not been using it. It's just been used for a few months; less than a year.

I have not contacted technical support directly. I've mandated other team members to deal with them. On our side, the colleague who actually implemented the solution is also the point person who deals with technical issues.

He's reached out to Microsoft's technical support n the past. Last week, for example, he was engaged with them about some automation issues and about centralizing the solution.

However, due to the fact I haven't spoken with them, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

At a previous company, I had used Symantec Endpoint Encryption.

While I did not personally set up the solution myself, it's my understanding that the process is not overly complex. My colleague managed the process, and for them, it was quite straightforward. They didn't run into any issues. A company, in general, should be able to do it quite easily.

The solution is completely free and available through Windows 10. We are not paying any licensing fees to use it.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We have not gone to a server model, like running it through a centralized location. This is due to the fact that we decided to deploy it normally through creating encryption keys and sharing those keys so that we are able to access the machine using the keys themselves.

It has not been fully loaded across the company as we are looking for solutions that can work for us as a main solution.

What I wanted us to do, whether it was via BitLocker or Symantec or whichever tool, was to have a centralized administration so that we are able to create those keys and are able to share them. We also want to be able to control them from a centralized location. That's the type of solution I'm looking for. I do not want things to be done manually. Centralized administration is very good for that.

Before I can recommend the solution, I would want to understand it fully. I'm working with my colleague to be able to understand what is its strengths and its weaknesses are. Most companies want simple tools that don't cost a lot of money. I haven't used this tool too much, and therefore can't properly evaluate it. We're currently hoping we can roll it out in a better way. That remains to be seen.

From what I have seen so far, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

ICT operations and security manager
    Free, native to OS, and doesn't require any maintenance, but can have better user profiles to allow people to create their own passwords
    • "It is free and native to the OS. We don't have to worry about upgrades or maintaining the product. You encrypt the disk, and you save the recovery key. That's it. The person puts their password in, and after that, it is up to them. If they forget their password, they have to bring it in to get it unlocked."
    • "User profiles can be improved so that people can create their own passwords. It has one password per machine, which is a problem. We would prefer each user to have his or her own boot password. Each user can have a username and password or biometrics, such as fingerprints and iris scanner, integrated into the boot process, but I really can't see that coming anytime soon, if ever."

What is our primary use case?

We encrypt devices and disks that have the potential to be taken off-site, such as laptops, tablets, USB sticks, and USB disks. Basically, we encrypt any medium that has to be taken off-site. If we're giving out a USB stick to somebody, it is BitLocker encrypted. If somebody has to use a memory stick, the only way it gets out is if it is encrypted.

We use the version that is native to an operating system.

What is most valuable?

It is free and native to the OS. We don't have to worry about upgrades or maintaining the product. You encrypt the disk, and you save the recovery key. That's it. The person puts their password in, and after that, it is up to them. If they forget their password, they have to bring it in to get it unlocked.

What needs improvement?

User profiles can be improved so that people can create their own passwords. It has one password per machine, which is a problem. We would prefer each user to have his or her own boot password. Each user can have a username and password or biometrics, such as fingerprints and iris scanner, integrated into the boot process, but I really can't see that coming anytime soon, if ever.

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

It is stable.

It doesn't really need to scale. You use it as you need it and manage it with group policies.

There is no need for support.

We've used a few different disk encryption products, and we've kind of settled on BitLocker because it is native to the operating system. It is simple, and there is no maintenance on it.

We also use Symantec at the moment, but we are retiring Symantec. We had trouble getting all the machines back into the office to change the disk encryption. We have a few left with Symantec. With Symantec, the version that we had was pretty old, and I wasn't sure if it would actually even work with some of the later builds of Windows 10. In terms of maintenance, with Symantec, every time there is a new build of Windows 10, you either have to defer the update while they update with Symantec, or you can install it and hope for the best. It is not a very satisfactory situation where you might have to wait six months before you can go up onto the latest build of Windows.

It wasn't complex. It just took me a while to figure it out and make it do what I wanted it to do. Everything is documented, and you just follow the documentation.

It is deployed on all new computers, and it is part of the build. It doesn't take very long. It takes only 10 or 15 minutes. While the disk is encrypting, you can do other things.

I deployed it on some of the computers. BitLocker is maintained as part of the operating system. If there are any updates to Bitlocker, they come out as operating system updates.

It is free. It is enabled as part of the operating system. Once you have an operating system license, you're licensed for Bitlocker.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is quick and neat, and it does the trick.

I would rate Microsoft BitLocker a seven out of ten.

Director, Cryptographic Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Stable with good encryption but unsure if it protects the hard drive of stolen laptops
    • "The hard drive encryption is very good."
    • "It's possible that the time it takes to pull items in to BitLocker could be reduced a bit."

What is our primary use case?

BitLocker is a feature of which enables hard drive encryption. It's similar to Symantec Endpoint Encryption. For us, both go hand-in-hand, however, BitLocker has an advantage in that it stores the key in TPM.

What is most valuable?

The hard drive encryption is very good.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the problem for us is, if a laptop is stolen, how they address it with the hard drive if it is already protected in BitLocker? We cannot protect anything until we have a centralized server feed where w can get all the information from all the laptop and the device if it does get stolen. Currently, to solve this, we are using a solution called Unbound.

I'm a hardcore developer. I don't know whether the solution has any source files. That said, I don't see anything that's really lacking, feature-wise.

It's possible that the time it takes to pull items in to BitLocker could be reduced a bit. It can take a long time - sometimes up to 90 minutes.

I've been using the solution since I started working for my current company. I haven't been with them for so long and therefore haven't been working with the solution for too long just yet.

We have about 80,000 laptops and an encryption rate of approximately 99%. The stability seems to be pretty good.

I haven't attempted to scale the solution. I wouldn't be able to properly discuss how scalable it is at this time.

Currently, we have the solution on approximately 80,000 laptops.

I'm not sure if we will increase usage. I'm actually considering changing the solution in the near future.

I haven't really had any contact with technical support. Since I've never used them, I can't really discuss if they are responsive or knowledgable. Right now, my sole purpose is to look for an alternative to Unbound, and therefore I don't work too much with BitLocker troubleshooting.

I didn't handle the initial setup. It would be impossible for me to discuss the process or to talk about if it is difficult or straightforward. I didn't handle any aspect of the implementation.

I'm not really involved in the pricing aspect of the solution. I don't know if it is expensive or reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I essentially joined the company and since I got here all the laptops and endpoints have been encrypted using BitLocker. We are using IBM as management for all the data and to stop Microsoft from taking away Unbound support.

We are looking for an alternative. We're curious about Symantec or endpoint encryptions that I can use with BitLocker, on top of the Symantec client that I have.

We're using the latest version of the solution, from what I understand. We load the solution directly onto laptops.

I would recommend the solution. However, if I find another endpoint solution, I may switch. I'm not tied to this product.

I don't have a lot of experience on the solution just yet. I'm still evaluating it in a lot of ways, and discovering the features.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Jeison Bonilla - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cyber ​​Security Administrator at BAC Credomatic
    User-friendly, easy to set up, and offers real-time machine status updates
    • "The initial setup is very simple."
    • "Technical support has not been very good."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for all endpoints first. We are going to protect all endpoints in the organization. The endpoint is any computer with Windows 10 or Windows 11. We use the feature device encryption and file encryption, basically.

What is most valuable?

It's the same BitLocker that we use in Sophos. Maybe the feature we like the best is file encryption.

The connectivity is in the cloud, therefore this is a good solution as we have, the real-time status of all machines.

The interface is user-friendly.

The initial setup is very simple.

What needs improvement?

Technical support has not been very good.

We'd like automatic self-service in future releases.

I've been using the solution for around three months.

I can't speak to stability. We're still testing the product right now.

The scalability is good. A company can expand it as needed.

We have about 100 people using the product currently. Only technical users are on it.

Technical support could be better. It is slow. Maybe there are people who only have a certain certification, however, they don't analyze the problems. They only go to the documentation which doesn't help as I've done all the tests they do before I call. I don't like that support.

I'm also familiar with McAfee and Sophos. We changed due to the fact that we already had a license for Microsoft Intune and the BitLocker comes included in it. You don't need to pay anything for the license.

We found the initial setup to be very simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

We've used it for about three months and are still doing tests.

We have 25 to 50 people that are handling the deployment and maintenance. They are our engineers.

We work with a partner that has assisted us with the implementation.

The cost of the solution is bundled in with Microsoft Intune. I'm not sure of the exact licensing. It's managed by another person.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

We are using Intune to enable BitLocker. We are testing BitLocker on Windows 10 and Windows 11.

BitLocker is very established. It's very easy to encrypt the machine, versus Sophos in Windows 7. The keys are centrally located.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Product Manager at Axoft Ukraine
    Secure, good user functionality, is easy to install, and is reliable
    • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the protection and ease of use."
    • "Some of the technical internal functions, such as encryption protocols or something similar, could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

All of our hard drives are BitLocker-protected, and we use only protected USB sticks. We have no right to put unprotected USB sticks in our work notebooks, we must install password locks on the device and for notebook usage. I don't have any special knowledge or experience with such encryption, but I know that all of my hard drives are secure.

We use Microsoft BitLocker for security. If I lose my work computer or it is stolen, no one will be able to read the files on my hard drive.

I have a unique password.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the protection and ease of use.

All I have to do is enter my password and create passwords for my USB sticks.

I don't see where any improvements in this software are needed, because I'm not sure what else we can use. The functionality is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Some of the technical internal functions, such as encryption protocols or something similar, could be improved. But it makes no difference in terms of functionality for us or users.

I am not sure how long this solution was used before me, but I've been with the company for three years.

I have been working with Microsoft BitLocker for almost three years.

I am not aware of the version we are using, I would have to consult with our system administrator.

I know we use some public clouds, but I'm not sure where the server for host encryption software is located.

I am aware that the solution works and is configured by a centralized server. I don't have to do anything with it. It would be a concern for our system administrators.

It's very scalable and doesn't have to be done manually because of the centralized tool for administration.

We have some experience with complete data protection and endpoint encryption, but we are using standard features like Windows, and Bitdefender.

The initial setup is very simple. I would rate it a five out of five.

We evaluated, and use Microsoft BitLocker and McAfee Complete Data Protection, but our primary software tool is Microsoft BitLocker.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft BitLocker is a good solution.

I would rate Microsoft BitLocker a ten out of ten.

System Administration Specialist at Alatau Innovations
    Great support, mostly reliable, and helps with encryption
    • "Technical support is excellent."
    • "The initial setup is complex."

What is our primary use case?

We just start on BitLocker. It is a native Microsoft encryption tool.

What is most valuable?

The stability seems good when everything goes right.

Technical support is excellent.

What needs improvement?

We need to increase the data disc a bit, not all of it, as we tried to test some special software views. We had a problem with the disc. The disc may be damaged. We can lose information. This has just happened once. It’s not standard.

The initial setup is complex.

I want them to include the encryption of the data disc.

We’ve used the solution for about a month. We just started to test it.

Aside from the one disc failure, it’s been pretty stable.

I have not tested any cases in terms of scalability.

I’m not sure if there are plans to increase usage just yet.

We have a small team of 25 employees that are using it.

I haven’t really contacted them that much, however, when I did, in June, they were exceptional. I had my questions answered in ten minutes or so. They are very quick and very helpful.

We previously tried McAfee.

It’s not a straightforward setup. It’s a bit complex.

We did not have any setup help just yet. We’ve been doing it all in-house.

I’m not sure of the exact cost of the setup.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we’re using.

We are gold partners.

We test on-premises. However, we plan to use the Microsoft cloud with Bitlocker on it.

I’d advise users to read the documentation. Otherwise, you can get many problems. You also have to be careful with encryption cases.

I’d rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft BitLocker Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022