IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series?

To meet enterprise storage requirements, ThinkSystem All-Flash DM Series systems provide high performance, superior flexibility, and best-in-class data management. DM Series runs on ONTAP data management software, which gives customers unified storage across block-and-file workloads. It accelerates your business while improving the efficiency, flexibility, and reliability of your IT operations.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series was previously known as ThinkSystem DM Series.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Video

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series pricing:
"Lenovo offers two software tiers for the DM Series: basic and premium. If you need more features like the MetroCluster, you must buy the premium version. You can stick to the basic software if you don't need MetroCluster or features like asynchronous replication. That makes DM Series a little cheaper."

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Reviews

System Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
It's a scalable all-in-one system with unified block and file storage and cloud tiering.
  • "Last year, I did a DM Series installation with my colleague, and this installation was effortless because we had Lenovo support on the phone, so it was easy to get help if we had any problems."
  • "I would like Lenovo to add a feature like IBM Easy Tier to DM Series. This is a crucial feature for the customers."

What is our primary use case?

We implement DM Series as a storage solution for healthcare clients and customers in other industries, like auto parts manufacturing. Instead of working directly with the end-customer, we are partnered with a reseller.

What needs improvement?

I would like Lenovo to add a feature like IBM Easy Tier to DM Series. This is a crucial feature for the customers.

I have been using DM Series for about six years, I think.

I get different feedback from my customers. Some tell me that the performance is good, but it's not as good as IBM.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, NetApp, Dell Technologies and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: July 2022.
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

You can scale the DM series easily. I think it's mostly a solution for mid-sized and larger companies, not small ones. It's an expensive high-end system storage system. Of course, it works just fine for a small company provided that they have enough money.

Lenovo offers good technical support.

The Lenovo DM Series is an excellent storage product, but I think it isn't competitive with other companies like Dell EMC and IBM because IBM products are very cheap and have more features.

The DM Series uses ONTAP software from NetApp, which is complex. You can't run this system if you don't have experience with ONTAP, then you can't install this system. We install the systems for the end customer.

Last year, I did a DM Series installation with my colleague, and this installation was effortless because we had Lenovo support on the phone, so it was easy to get help if we had any problems.

Lenovo offers two software tiers for the DM Series: basic and premium. If you need more features like the MetroCluster, you must buy the premium version. You can stick to the basic software if you don't need MetroCluster or features like asynchronous replication. That makes DM Series a little cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Lenovo DM Series eight out of 10. My advice is to try it. If you are a NetApp or Dell EMC customer, you have to try DM Series because I think DM Series is a scalable all-in-one system with unified block and file storage and cloud tiering.

General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Easy to install, stable, and priced well for the market

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The price of this solution is good.

What needs improvement?

Many people do not realize that Lenovo has a storage solution, so better marketing from the vendor is needed.

We have just begun working with the DM Series.

Our customers enjoy the stability that the Lenovo DM Series has.

The scalability is very good. However, if the product is a few years old then expanding storage may be expensive because of a change in the technology.

Our customers for this product are normally medium and large companies. The most recent deployment was for a company with 100 employees.

The initial setup is easy. If you have any familiarity with storage solutions, regardless of the vendor, then you can easily configure this product. The length of time required for deployment depends on the size of the project, although I would estimate the average to be one or two days. For a small amount of storage, it will only take a few hours.

I have worked with several similar products and I find that the decision by the customer is normally made based on the price.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and is one that I recommend.

July 2022
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Specialist at Pouyan Pardazesh Tehran Co
Reseller
Unified storage system that's scalable and stable, but needs more simplified configuration and installation
  • "Scalable and stable storage array."
  • "The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series was very hard to configure. Installation of the product was very hard. These are its areas for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is a unified storage system.

What needs improvement?

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series was very hard to configure. Installation of the product was very hard. These are its areas for improvement.

It would be easier to configure initially if you have direct access to the panel, so if they could remove the APIs for configuration, that would be preferable.

I've been using the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series for two years.

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is a stable storage system.

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is a scalable product.

The initial configuration for the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series was very difficult. The product was very hard to install.

I implemented the product myself, and didn't have to use a consultant or an integrator to do it.

I've evaluated IBM NVMe Series, Dell EMC Unity, HPE, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

I have experience with all-flash storage arrays. I've used IBM NVMe Series, Dell EMC Unity, HPE, and Juniper.

We're using the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series, particularly the DM7000 version.

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series can be deployed on cloud and on-premises.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, NetApp, Dell Technologies, and more!
Updated: July 2022