Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series?

To meet enterprise storage requirements, ThinkSystem All-Flash DM Series systems provide high performance, superior flexibility, and best-in-class data management. DM Series runs on ONTAP data management software, which gives customers unified storage across block-and-file workloads. It accelerates your business while improving the efficiency, flexibility, and reliability of your IT operations.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series was previously known as ThinkSystem DM Series.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Video

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series pricing:
  • "Lenovo offers two software tiers for the DM Series: basic and premium. If you need more features like the MetroCluster, you must buy the premium version. You can stick to the basic software if you don't need MetroCluster or features like asynchronous replication. That makes DM Series a little cheaper."
  • "The price of the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is good."
  • Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Reviews

System Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Reseller
    It's a scalable all-in-one system with unified block and file storage and cloud tiering.
    • "Last year, I did a DM Series installation with my colleague, and this installation was effortless because we had Lenovo support on the phone, so it was easy to get help if we had any problems."
    • "I would like Lenovo to add a feature like IBM Easy Tier to DM Series. This is a crucial feature for the customers."

What is our primary use case?

We implement DM Series as a storage solution for healthcare clients and customers in other industries, like auto parts manufacturing. Instead of working directly with the end-customer, we are partnered with a reseller.

What needs improvement?

I would like Lenovo to add a feature like IBM Easy Tier to DM Series. This is a crucial feature for the customers.

I have been using DM Series for about six years, I think.

I get different feedback from my customers. Some tell me that the performance is good, but it's not as good as IBM.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, NetApp, Dell Technologies and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: September 2022.
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

You can scale the DM series easily. I think it's mostly a solution for mid-sized and larger companies, not small ones. It's an expensive high-end system storage system. Of course, it works just fine for a small company provided that they have enough money.

Lenovo offers good technical support.

The Lenovo DM Series is an excellent storage product, but I think it isn't competitive with other companies like Dell EMC and IBM because IBM products are very cheap and have more features.

The DM Series uses ONTAP software from NetApp, which is complex. You can't run this system if you don't have experience with ONTAP, then you can't install this system. We install the systems for the end customer.

Last year, I did a DM Series installation with my colleague, and this installation was effortless because we had Lenovo support on the phone, so it was easy to get help if we had any problems.

Lenovo offers two software tiers for the DM Series: basic and premium. If you need more features like the MetroCluster, you must buy the premium version. You can stick to the basic software if you don't need MetroCluster or features like asynchronous replication. That makes DM Series a little cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Lenovo DM Series eight out of 10. My advice is to try it. If you are a NetApp or Dell EMC customer, you have to try DM Series because I think DM Series is a scalable all-in-one system with unified block and file storage and cloud tiering.

Technical Specialist at Pouyan Pardazesh Tehran Co
    Reseller
    Unified storage system that's scalable and stable, but needs more simplified configuration and installation
    • "Scalable and stable storage array."
    • "The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series was very hard to configure. Installation of the product was very hard. These are its areas for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is a unified storage system.

What needs improvement?

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series was very hard to configure. Installation of the product was very hard. These are its areas for improvement.

It would be easier to configure initially if you have direct access to the panel, so if they could remove the APIs for configuration, that would be preferable.

I've been using the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series for two years.

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is a stable storage system.

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is a scalable product.

The initial configuration for the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series was very difficult. The product was very hard to install.

I implemented the product myself, and didn't have to use a consultant or an integrator to do it.

I've evaluated IBM NVMe Series, Dell EMC Unity, HPE, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

I have experience with all-flash storage arrays. I've used IBM NVMe Series, Dell EMC Unity, HPE, and Juniper.

We're using the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series, particularly the DM7000 version.

The Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series can be deployed on cloud and on-premises.

Hybrid Cloud
    September 2022
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    NareshKumar5 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Presales Consultant at Savex Technologies Pvt Ltd
    Reseller
    User-friendly initial setup, integrates well, and reasonable priced

What is our primary use case?

If customers are asking for an on-premise storage solution, whether it is a NAS or SAN type of storage, the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is capable of tiering on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is its capability to tier to the cloud, such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon AWS. Additionally, the integration is good and they are user-friendly.

I have been using Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series for approximately 10 years.

The stability of the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is good.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is scalable.

There are lots of queries. If you have more than 100 queries in Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series, we have 50% of closure.

I would rate the support of Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is not complex, it's user-friendly.

The price of the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series is good.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others. It is a very good solution and it is carrying the legacy of IBM.

I rate Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series a nine out of ten.

Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, NetApp, Dell Technologies, and more!
    Updated: September 2022