IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Jama Connect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Jama Connect is #5 ranked solution in top Application Requirements Management tools and #13 ranked solution in top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. PeerSpot users give Jama Connect an average rating of 8 out of 10. Jama Connect is most commonly compared to IBM Rational DOORS: Jama Connect vs IBM Rational DOORS. Jama Connect is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a manufacturing company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Jama Connect?
Web-based requirements management application designed to help you increase collaboration, manage complexity and fuel innovation.
Jama Connect Customers
Deloitte, SpaceX, Omnigon, Delft University
Jama Connect Video

Jama Connect Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Jama Connect pricing:
  • "If you want to have creative licenses, pricing may be an issue with the licenses, as it can become quite expensive over time to serve many people."
  • "The cost seems very competitive with other offerings."
  • Jama Connect Reviews

Senior Program Manager Software at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Agile, well structured, and has a great review module, which makes the design reviews smooth
    • "You can get full traceability with any other system. It also includes a test module, and you build the traceability matrix incrementally throughout the development process."
    • "I believe one of the weak points is the reporting side. You must export inter-readable reports from Jama if you do not use the system as a repository for your design history file. Jama is great if you keep it in Jama, but reporting out requires some customization to get it right."

What is our primary use case?

We are working with Jama to customize it so that it works better with our processes. It's all about matching existing company processes with what Jama has to offer, and how well their tools are integrated into the Jama Connect Suite.

What is most valuable?

I can say that we enjoy Jama Connect. I introduced it to my company, and we, of course, use it. It is not perfect, but nothing is. But, of course, it has the majority of the features available. It is definitely something that works for the medical industry in which I work, so it is a good fit. You can get full traceability with any other system. It also includes a test module, and you build the traceability matrix incrementally throughout the development process. And it has a great review module, which makes the design reviews smooth, working with how you can post individual requirements, rather than completing a full document and then sending it out. From that standpoint, it is more agile. There are many positive aspects, and it is well-structured and includes templates.

What needs improvement?

They are still evolving. It's not perfect, but it's probably among the best available. You must learn it. Nothing is given away for free. It takes some time to get used to, but once you do, it works perfectly. The entire requirement management process is complex in and of itself, but if you're already running manually or with other tools, I believe the transition to Jama will be relatively painless. That depends on your starting point. That is most likely one of the disadvantages. It is an advanced tool. However, this comes with it. You have to pay the price. I believe one of the weak points is the reporting side. You must export inter-readable reports from Jama if you do not use the system as a repository for your design history file. Jama is great if you keep it in Jama, but reporting out requires some customization to get it right. It has all of those options, but you have to work with them. What information do we need to include in the report? Jama has a tonne of information. But you have to work on that, and Jama provides you with service.

Stability is fine with us. So far, there has been no significant downtime.
    Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Jama, Atlassian, Intland Software and others in Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites. Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is scalable.

I think the collaboration with Jama is pretty good, and they listen to us and do a lot of customizations for us to make it work better. Hopefully, it would have been the same with any other company. However, Jama provides essentially 24-hour support. They are also located in Europe. As a result, they are in the same time zone as we are. They also, I believe, have something in Amsterdam and a central European location. They're fine. They also work from a support standpoint, which is critical. Because once you start using, or adopting Jama, you're basically stuck with it. They lock you in.

If you want to have creative licenses, pricing may be an issue with the licenses, as it can become quite expensive over time to serve many people. Some of the fees are advertised as being free, such as this, if you were licensed, and they have test runner licenses, and so on, but they are powerless to act. You must be able to create test cases even if you are a test engineer. You're not simply reading or running tests. So, in my opinion, those were worthless licenses. That may be useful in some cases, but in our case, our testers are doing much more than that. As a result, we rely on having creator licenses for all of them. Fortunately, we are spread across multiple time zones. So we can have floating licenses to make better use of them.

However, I believe Jama is one of the best options. Before making a decision, we considered several other options, all of which were equal.

What other advice do I have?

Jama is definitely an eight, in my opinion. It depends on how you define your scale, but on a scale of one to ten, where ten is fantastic and zero is terrible, I'd say it's an eight. I would rate Jama Connect an eight out of ten.
    Sr. Manager - Systems Engineering - Operations at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reasonably priced, stable, user-friendly, and has good support
    • "It is good at requirements management and test management."
    • "The initial setup could be better, it's complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jama Connect for requirements management, test management, and some attempts to utilize it to store documents, despite the fact that it was not designed for that use.

What is most valuable?

It is good at requirements management and test management.

For day-to-day users, it is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be better, it's complicated.

They could be better. In my perception, they are slow to move on feature improvements.

I have extensive experience with Jama Connect. I have been using it for more than five years.

We are using the latest version.

Every tool has occasional glitches, but overall it's been very stable.

We don't have experience with scalability. We are currently exploring this area.

We have between 100 to 1,000 users in our organization.

Their technical support is quite good.

They have been very responsive, and we have a good relationship with them. We have ongoing discussions about various issues and potential improvements.

They are a bit slow, but I don't have experience with any other large requirements or test management tools. It could very well be the case with other tools as well.

I have experience with TestOp.

We have not used a different solution prior to Jama. This is the tool that has been used since the beginning of the company.

The initial setup is a bit complex. I would strongly recommend engaging one of their experts to help with the initial setup.

It's manageable on a part-time basis for a small organization.

With the size of our company, we're approaching the point where it's almost a full-time job for somebody. We have split it up amongst a number of us. None of us has a primary job title of Jama Administrator. We are all part-time admins.

The cost seems very competitive with other offerings. If you are a smaller company, Jama is a more attractive option than some others because it is just on that cusp of being affordable for a small company.

Many of the other options are priced so high that they are immediately eliminated from consideration.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, Jama is an excellent tool when it's used the way it was intended to be used. But our organization is stretching the tool to do things it was not necessarily ever designed to do. Most of the pain points that we run into are due to the fact that we are stretching the envelope of what the tool can do.

In summary, this is a good product but everything has room for improvement.

I would rate Jama Connect an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Download our free Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites Report and find out what your peers are saying about Jama, Atlassian, Intland Software, and more!
    Updated: June 2022