IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus is the #7 ranked solution in top Event Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus is most commonly compared to IBM Tivoli NetCool Impact: IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus vs IBM Tivoli NetCool Impact. IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 80% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 39% of all views.

Download the Event Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus?
Tivoli Netcool OMNIbus provides near real-time service assurance for business infrastructure, applications, servers, network devices and protocols, Internet protocols, storage and security devices.

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus was previously known as Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus.

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Customers
Consolidated Communications, €sterreichische Bundesbahnen (€BB), Capgemini
IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Video

Archived IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Reviews (more than two years old)

RamuChittiprolu - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Engineer at JCPenney Co.
Good event management features and supports SNMP devices well
  • "The most valuable feature is the event management capability."
  • "The web portal and typical event controls are a little outdated."

What is our primary use case?

This is one of the monitoring tools that we use in-house for our infrastructure. This is not one of the services that we provide to our customers. I use it primarily for event management, where I can do the correlation and analysis I need to configure policies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the event management capability.

The correlation works great.

It is very good if you have any devices that use SNMP.

What needs improvement?

The web portal and typical event controls are a little outdated. The need to work on improving the dashboard layout.

The whole layout is an old style and needs updating. The functionality is great but it needs to look more modern, perhaps by moving to HTML 5 dashboards.

The price could be made more competitive.

I have been working with IBM OMNIbus for more than five years.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Micro Focus and others in Event Monitoring. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have approximately 20 users.

I have been in touch with technical support and they are helpful. If you're stuck somewhere then they will assist you. I normally try to fix most of the issues on my own, but I will raise a ticket with IBM when I get stuck. At that point, they will come in and give me a solution.

As with any event management solution on the market, the initial setup is not straightforward unless you know exactly what you want to do. I would not say that it is too complex, but you have to understand event management.

The web portal is a little bit difficult to configure.

My initial deployment took about two months, and the upgrade took time as well. Upgrading was not as easy as we had thought because there are many factors involved.

Our in-house team handled the deployment and does the maintenance.

We have been evaluating Moogsoft and are currently conducting a proof of concept. The articles that I have read say that Moogsoft is very competitive with NetCool. Personally, I have seen that they are modern in terms of the dashboard and web portal layout. In this regard, they are ahead of IBM. With IBM's web portal, it is quite difficult to navigate unless you know the interface.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a great tool and one that I recommend but it depends on the cost. You have to have the right level of budget to afford this solution. If you do, then it is the best choice.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Department Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use with good monitoring capabilities and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to monitor our environment.

What is most valuable?

The monitoring is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the product is quite high. They should work to adjust their pricing models.

I've been using the solution for almost ten years.

The product is stable.

For our purposes, the solution has been scalable. Right now we have the solution on seven computers.

Technical support is good; it's worth the rate they charge.

The initial setup is straightforward; it's not complex at all.

We used a consultant to assist us with the implementation.

The pricing is a bit high.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. It's very easy to use. It also offers us everything we need in terms of features and functionality.

I'd rate it ten out of ten.

November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PankajSoni - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Support quality needs notable improvement

What is most valuable?

Very stable tool and good for all types of event integration and automation.

What needs improvement?

Improve support quality as it is not good.

Eight months.

Only HP/IBM/BMC and SolarWinds are very stable.

No issues in tools.

IBM support is a bust; Zenoss support is good.

It is fully dependent on costing, the customer, and architect.

It is straightforward.

It really depends entirely on the customer, what he wants.

Yes, I evaluate all products against the requirements before choosing.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementation, please clarify all the customer requirements, then choose products accordingly.

Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Event Viewer gives you a complete list of events with the detailed information

What is most valuable?

Event Viewer is the most valuable feature as it gives you a complete list of events with the detailed information. Based on its severity, you can predict the issues.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped in the proactive monitoring process.

What needs improvement?

A lot can be improved in this product considering the performance. Maybe, in a future release, an automated email and an SMS option could be introduced directly from the tool, instead of using any third-party tool/script for it.

From my experience with this tool, I can't find any bugs in it as of now.

I have used this solution for two years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give the technical support team a 10 out of 10 rating.

The setup was a bit complex as you have to get multiple repositories and licenses in order to install it from IBM.

The license is provided by IBM.

What other advice do I have?

This is an amazing product and you will fall in love with it.

Operations Expert at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Netcool itself started becoming less effective, we need to see more radical innovation in this area.

Back in 2004 after years of going from strength to strength with Netcool, the world of computer infrastructure started to change radically rather than by slow evolution. With the introduction of things like Virtualisation, B2B gateways (into other companies) etc we were seeing a massive increase in challenges like complexity, dynamic constant change in the infrastructure and lack of viability into the infrastructures of our partners, who provided key elements of our customers applications.

The result of all these revolutionary changes in our infrastructure was that Netcool itself started becoming less effective, and hence we started to see a swing back to reactive management at the expense of proactive. I believe we need to see far more radical innovation in this area.

dkusma - PeerSpot reviewer
Computer Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Difficult to Implement

What is most valuable?

IBM Tivoli Network Manager

How has it helped my organization?

As an Umbrella Fault Management System

What needs improvement?

Root cause and event correlation. End to End visualization of the Network

3 years.

Yes. The implementation.

Yes often problems appear after resolving a previous one.

No issues encountered.

4 out of 10

6 out of 10

No previously solution used.

Difficult to implement ( more resource and timing) but flexibility in implementation.

Through a vendor, 4 out of 10.

What other advice do I have?

The NMS products should come up with a new approach to resolving issues through centralized monitoring . Currently multi vendor equipment with multi technologies are present in an organization but failing to see the End to End connection of the network should be addressed by the NMS vendors.

Download our free Event Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Micro Focus, and more!
Updated: November 2022