IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is #9 ranked solution in best RPA tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is most commonly compared to UiPath: IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) vs UiPath. IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA)?

IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is a technology that encompasses the use of smart robots in any process requiring efficiency, consistency and speed, with no risk of mistakes. In a nutshell, RPA simulates a human user working.

Today, it is possible to automate processes through the use of digital robots, or bots, which execute pre-programed, repetitive tasks in a safe and mistake free manner. There are literally thousands of opportunities for Robotic Process Automation to make an impact on your organization today, including: automatic invoice emission, system integration, information reconciliation, report generation, intelligent email management to lead generation, and many others.

IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) was previously known as IBM RPA.

IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Customers

The Hanover Insurance Group

IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Video

IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) pricing:
  • "IBM licensing is annual and based on Virtual Processor Cores (VPC). This provides flexibility as part of the containerization environment."
  • "The license is paid annually."
  • IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Reviews

AVP at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Once you have automated a business process it offers a readily available workflow
    • "If you have a business process, and once you have automated that process, you have a readily available workflow in place."
    • "This RPA should be under the umbrella of BPM. This is what the future should be."

What is our primary use case?

It's used at a high level by about 100 users. A few of them are customer agents and a few of them are in the operations team. Currently, the product is deployed on a container-based platform, called Cloud Pak. We have created containers for our solutions for Automation on the OpenShift cluster.

How has it helped my organization?

If you have a business process, and once you have automated that process, you have a readily available workflow in place. We are using it after a sale is done, the next step is that the RPA calculates the offer and offers it to the customer. We have implemented this in sales.

What is most valuable?

Number one, you can record your actions, number two, you can orchestrate between the human task and bots. The biggest benefit is that you can orchestrate between the human tasks, system tasks, and the bots. That is what the complete IBM portfolio can provide. No other solution I have seen can provide this level of flexibility. In addition to that, we have the IBM Business Analytics insight as well, which is like real-time dashboards.

What needs improvement?

The way the robots are being used actually. We need to design the robot to instantiate it based on some event or human intervention. If that can also be automated, that would be good. That would be an additional workflow completed. The next step after that would be to use the RPA service. Some things which require human intervention can also be automated using some decision management, based on rules. If there's a framework which does all of this part, that would be good I think. RPA should be configured as a part of business process management and built-in.  For the user, it shouldn't matter if he is using RPA or he's using none of the automation. It should be seamless from their viewpoint. So they would just use drag and drop, choose the features they wanted, and that would be it. RPA and BPM in one solution and RPA encapsulated inside BPM. This RPA should be under the umbrella of BPM. This is what the future should be.
    IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) for less than one year. I'm the analyst for this project. My responsibility is to design the system, but I am not the developer for the project.

For now, it is stable because the best thing we have is the scalability as part of our cloud-native application.

The size of a container is quite small. I think it's only a single MB, so not big. Initially, we started from 20 containers and it grew to around 50 containers or maybe more, depending on the configuration. I think we now have approximately 50 to 100. The assumption is that each container will run a separate process.

We have raised some support tickets, but not very often. We have trained staff also, and therefore we have several teams which could potentially deal with support.

One is the IBM RPA. as a company, we are using UiPath as well. But IMB RPA is the one which my team is using as part of this Cloud Pak for Automation.

I think it's complex, and not straightforward.

Now that it is based in the cloud, it is an easier process and minimises the time for deployment. We are using the OpenShift OCP platform to achieve this. It's like a gateway for the infrastructure team which manages the servers and the cloud server. IT operations take care of the operational activities, and the Gateway infrastructure team does the deployment. IT operations provide support, so we are using three to four resources.

IBM licensing is annual and based on Virtual Processor Cores (VPC). This provides flexibility as part of the containerization environment. The licenses can be allocated across multiple products. So for example, if you have IBM BAW, Business Automation Workflow,  ODM, Operational Decision Management, and IBM Datacap, or whatever product you are using, you can allocate the licenses to your needs. This provides licensing flexibility, as opposed to single licenses for standalone products.

We considered Automation Anywhere and UiPath. However, IBM RPA i's a part of one bundle. The Business Automation Workflow can directly integrate with the IBM RPA. The business becomes more robust. Your platform gives you more flexibility to integrate with multiple different types of tasks.

What other advice do I have?

Based on what you want to do, you can automate your processes in the organization. You need to have a roadmap as part of digital transformation and application modernization. I would give this solution 8 out of 10.

Private Cloud

Fernando Di Lelle - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior IT & Business Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Good quality and a strong platform, with good pre-sales and technical support
    • "The quality is great! It's very strong and has a very strong platform."
    • "IBM should provide specific solutions for specific problems, like templates for invoicing processes, or general templates for creating efficient processes."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we have been working on selling the IBM RPA product during 2020. We are primarily dealing with the on-premises version because our clients are not willing to use the cloud because of issues with their data. We have a lot of banks as clients, and it is a problem for them to use cloud versions.

One of our primary use cases is creating chatbots for clients, such as financial institutions.

Other things that we can automate are tasks like dealing with incoming credit processes, and administrative processes such as invoicing. These are the processes that take a lot of time.

We have not generated any sales yet, but we have experience with the product and are working on selling it.

What needs improvement?

IBM should provide specific solutions for specific problems, like templates for invoicing processes, or general templates for creating efficient processes. Another good example would be to have a template for a credit onboarding process. This would give us something to show the client in terms of a working solution, and that we're not having to create something from scratch.

The quality is great! It's very strong and has a very strong platform. However, you need to consider the clients and have a client perspective.

From my point of view, the RPA from IBM is not yet in touch enough with the clients. They are not taking the client's perspective into consideration, and they don't guide them enough throughout their journey to RPA.

They need to provide more guidance and more coaching. At the end of the day, it's a type of culture that they are trying to build within the company.

I would like to see an interface that would help customers establish which process is suitable for RPA or not. Maybe some type of scoring process would be helpful in establishing the processing suitability for whether it is an RPA or not. That would be a great feature to consider.

We began working with IBM Robotic Process Automation one year ago.

I think that it is a stable solution but I am not yet experienced enough to answer with certainty.

If you are working on-premises then scalability could be a problem. This is certainly not a problem with cloud solutions but again, this is the same problem for us. Our clients would like to remain working on-premises. we all know that cloud-based solutions are the best, in order to have scalability and in order to grow in the number of bots or applications.

Most of our clients are mid-sized banks, and we have a lot of government entities.

I think that the pre-sales and technical support are really great. I had worked for IBM myself in 2016, and these people are really professional.

We are competing with UiPath and Blue Prism, and also, our clients have been considering minor regional RPA companies. One such example is a company from Argentina that is very popular in the region, called BI.

The main difference between IBM RPA and the other products is that the small companies have developed ready-to-use solutions.

We work with the presales teams and have not had much experience with the setup.

The length of time required for deployment will be two or three months, depending on the infrastructure. When you have an on-premises deployment, you need to prepare the infrastructure to perform the implementation. There are times where the initial setup takes longer than you first imagine when the project begins.

For example, having availability with the client's infrastructure in order to start working on an RPA project is sometimes a problem.

The cloud is the best way to deploy RPA. However, we face the dilemma that we cannot use the cloud. So, I think that the solution to this type of problem is to try and set up a private cloud for our clients. Unfortunately, I have found that it is not a simple process to set up a private cloud. The number of resources required is not necessarily reachable for many entities.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering an RPA product is to carefully consider where to start because not all processes are suitable for RPA. You need to carefully evaluate what you are going to do because if you are starting from scratch, you need to carefully choose which processes you are going to start with.

Don't try another RPA solution for the company from scratch. You have to create a culture of RPA inside your company. A good product comes from creating a culture.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
    June 2022
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Islam Fathy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior RPA Developer at Valleysoft
    Low code, good automation, and offers vast learning resources
    • "IBM Robotic Process Automation has greatly improved the organization by improving the speed of performance, as the speed of the robot is estimated to be 20 times faster than the human being."
    • "We would like a decreased need for customer support."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is the development of facilities using artificial intelligence, specifically Robotic Process Automation (RPA) to perform tasks across business systems and applications in much the same way as human workers do.

IBM Robotic Process Automation is an RPA tool that is used to automate any repeated simple/complex tasks with ease. IBM Robotic Process Automation is one of the simplest RPA tools, having a simple user interface, and it is very easy to get hands-on with this platform.

It has vast learning resources available, too. Use cases include extracting data from scanned PDFs. Using IBM Robotic Process Automation made it much simpler to scrape data from scanned PDFs and convert it into standard Excel format, as per requirements. We also use it for portal automation. AA makes web automation simple and our manual tasks have now been automated. Our portal is for making client bookings of the client. The bot reads the Excel file shared by the user and accordingly, makes the booking in the portal with minimum time and with high accuracy.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM Robotic Process Automation has greatly improved the organization by improving the speed of performance, as the speed of the robot is estimated to be 20 times faster than the human being. This is why it is very fast in dealing with websites, downloading files and uploading, using programs and dealing with them, extracting data, filtering them and sending them to customers by mail, and scanning PDFs and images.

It also helped me work on other problems by saving me a lot of time and allowing me to do other work.

What is most valuable?

The solution's best attributes include:

• Less coding: RPA does not necessarily require a developer to configure; drag-and-drop features in user interfaces make it easier to onboard non-technical staff.
    • Rapid cost savings: Since RPA reduces the workload of teams, staff can be reallocated towards other priority work that does require human input, leading to increases in productivity and ROI.
    • Higher customer satisfaction: Since bots and chatbots can work around the clock, they can reduce wait times for customers, leading to higher rates of customer satisfaction.
    • Improved employee morale: By lifting repetitive, high-volume workloads off your team, RPA allows people to focus on more thoughtful and strategic decision-making. This shift in work has a positive effect on employee happiness.

What needs improvement?

The feature that I hope will be available in the next versions is the system role which gives users access to specific features, based on the assigned roles and the accessibility provided to the user. The benefits of creating roles include increased security through controlling users' access according to their specified roles.

We would like a decreased need for customer support.

We need easy and accurate monitoring of the use and access of data by higher management, leading to better research management.

System roles are preconfigured with the permissions necessary to perform the tasks within the scope of that role. They cannot be modified or deleted.

I've been using the solution for three years.

It is very stable and always offers updates.

The scalability is very good since IBM is very interested in artificial intelligence and very interested in expanding this field as soon as possible.

Technical support is very good and available 24/7.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I did use a different solution previously as this tool has a very good feature, which is that you can run more than one robot on the same device.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We did the setup in-house.

The cost is very low and good.

I evaluated Automation Anywhere.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, I think that the product needs a lot of events and competitions to promote it and spread it quickly

Alfonso Abad - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director General at MindCraft Mexico
    An automation solution that reads documents and provides valuable insights
    • "I like the integration with Watson and the possibility to have an intelligent reading of all the customers' documents."
    • "The time it takes for approvals, and risk analysis could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM RPA to perform customer credit risk analogies. It analyzes all the information coming from the customer.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration with Watson and the possibility to have an intelligent reading of all the customers' documents. It analyzes the main information to provide insights about the customer to understand if the request is a risk. The ability to integrate with hybrid clouds is another advantage.

What needs improvement?

The time it takes for approvals, and risk analysis could be faster. It's probably the main benefit you can get from the whole process. If it can do the tedious work quickly, employees with specialized skills can concentrate on the things that require deep knowledge or specialization. Then all the manual, repetitive tasks can be forwarded to automation.

Integrating with artificial intelligence should be more mature and more complete. So far, it works, but there are still many more benefits that we can get with better integration with Watson. There are also some opportunities to improve the integration of documents in the workflow.

I've been using IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) for about six or seven months.

Several products are incorporated in the back for automation. Some of them are in the process of being more aligned with cloud services. Some are still not in Kubernetes or a Docker. Two of them are in the process of being incorporated into Kubernetes and Docker to be aligned with the rest of the products. All of them work in a very stable way.

IBM RPA is totally scalable. It's precisely the reason we have all of them in Kubernetes and the cloud. This makes them available for scalability, and it's very easy. In Kubernetes, you can scale up very easily, without any interruption of the service.

IBM's technical support is very good.

The initial setup is complex. You need to first find out where and how it can provide real value to the company. Without doing that first, without understanding the main objective you are pursuing, it can take a lot of time to show a company that this product delivers real value.

Once you understand the final objective, you can design and implement it. The implementation really isn't a big problem once you have well-defined objectives that you need to achieve.

We work with an IBM partner.

What other advice do I have?

Being in the cloud is key to having similar products integrated and working in the same environment with artificial intelligence. You have to be clear about the value added by such integrations to the customer, or you'll face some resistance.

To implement these kinds of projects broadly in several areas at the same time, you won't have a very good chance to be successful quickly. It's important to start with a small project to demonstrate the benefit, and from there, you can scale very quickly. You can grow or diminish the capacity you need in a very dynamic way without very high costs.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM RPA a nine.

Lucas Ferreira - PeerSpot reviewer
    Project Manager at Montreal Oficial
    A user-friendly RPA solution, but stability could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use RPA to test mainframe solutions because they never change.

What is most valuable?

IBM Robotic Process Automation is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Stability could be better. It also gets difficult with every new version of Java or every new version of Windows.

I have been using IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) for more than 12 years.

IBM RPA is an unstable solution. This is the biggest issue we have right now.

It's very easy to scale. We have done it many times with many machines running simultaneously with integration between RSP and EDM quality management.

Technical support is very bad.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM tech support a three.

It's a client terminal solution, so the desktop solution doesn't require much time to install and deploy.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone thinking of using IBM Robotic Process Automation, I would tell them not to change anything if it's running.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM RPA a seven.

Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good support and scalable

I have been using IBM Robotic Process Automation for approximately three months.

IBM Robotic Process Automation should be more stable.

The solution is scalability.

We approximately 100 people working on this solution.

I am satisfied with the technical support.

I have found some of the deployments of IBM Robotic Process Automation are more difficult than others. Some deployments can take a few months.

The license is paid annually.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to find a solution that best fits their use case.

I rate  IBM Robotic Process Automation an eight out of ten.

Download our free IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022