We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

IBM Rational ALM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational ALM is #17 ranked solution in top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. PeerSpot users give IBM Rational ALM an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Rational ALM is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: IBM Rational ALM vs Microsoft Azure DevOps. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is IBM Rational ALM?
Lifecycle management capabilities built on the open, unifying IBM Rational Jazz platform can help agile and traditional teams: see at-a-glance status, access better data for decisions, manage costs, reuse the most efficient processes across the organization, manage cloud, web, SOA and mobile application design and development. Teams can also gain real-time traceability, manage work across vendors, unify across a diverse set of lifecyle tools, and provide collaborative development for continuous delivery as part of the IBM DevOps solution.

IBM Rational ALM was previously known as Rational ALM, MKS.

Download the Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

IBM Rational ALM Customers
Tennis Australia, WeCloud AB, Port Otago Limited, Logicalis US, Valmer, The Chevrolet Volt, Ashurst
IBM Rational ALM Video

IBM Rational ALM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Rational ALM pricing:
  • "The price of the solution could be reduced. Many of our customers are not using all the features and this could be why our clients feel the price is too high."
  • "We have a contract, but I am not aware of the details."
  • IBM Rational ALM Reviews

Applications Developer Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Customizable, the support is good, and the Kanban view is helpful
    • "You can customize the board according to your needs."
    • "The reporting functionality needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We began using this product in 2014 as a work management tool. After that, we gained knowledge of the Agile framework and implemented these features in Rational. We now have five scrum teams, all of them using this solution for scrum planning. This includes dashboards and the Kanban view in order to support them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the customizability, workflow, and Kanban components. You can customize the board according to your needs.

What needs improvement?

The reporting functionality needs to be improved. They have developed a reporting model but it is not available out-of-the-box. It is especially important when we are talking about Kanban and KPIs. We have some metrics related to lead time and throughput, but we cannot produce them out-of-the-box.

There are two features called the Program Board and Quick Learning that need administrator access to use. This is risky and it is not good practice to have more than one administrator on the tool, so the problem is that we can't give this level of access to normal users and it is an obstacle in the way of using these features.

We have been using IBM Rational ALM for about six years, since 2014.

We are happy with the scalability, although it is related to licensing. We have different types of licensing including concurrent floating and stakeholder. I think that we have 12 concurrent licenses and a total of 50 users who are assigned to these different concurrent pools.

To this point, we have not needed to scale. If we extend the functionality and integrate it with the DevOps tool, with respect to continuous integration and continuous deployment, then we may increase our usage.

We normally rely on our local vendor for support. We did contact IBM in the Dubai office one time. They were responsive and we were happy with the support.

We did not use a similar solution prior to choosing this one.

The implementation is easy and the initial setup is straightforward. Having knowledge of the Agile framework and the scrum practices help very much when it comes to setting it up. Without this knowledge, you will not be able to maximize the benefit of this product.

We have a local vendor who assisted us with the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing IBM Rational ALM is to have the right balance of trained people. They need to know about the Agile framework, using the tool, and how to customize it.

Srikumar Aravinda Krishnan
    Lead Engineer at a transportation company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Effective tools, scalable, but price could be reduced
    • "The tools for requirement capture we have found very useful."
    • "I think nowadays people are getting into Jira and other tools. What is happening is, this solution is becoming more traditional, whereas Jira and other tools are more attractive for the new users to learn and start using because of the graphical interfaces."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Rational ALM is mainly used for configuration management and version control. We use it in the automotive sector, which it has a lot of use in, and is certified.

What is most valuable?

The tools for requirement capture we have found very useful.

What needs improvement?

I think nowadays people are getting into Jira and other tools. What is happening is, this solution is becoming more traditional, whereas Jira and other tools are more attractive for the new users to learn and start using because of the graphical interfaces. All the traditional users are continuing with this solution, while new users they are preferring Jira.

The solution could improve by providing an entire engineering life cycle management solution. When we want to use the solution we feel that it could be better because currently, we use SAP for a lot of our engineering life cycle management obligations, and IBM Rational ALM is only for mainly software management applications. It should be extended and provide more coverage from end to end, which would be helpful.

I have been using IBM Rational ALM for the past 10 years.

The solution is stable.

We did not have any problems with scalability.

The support from IBM was very good.

The installation is not difficult, and the whole process, such as practicing, and onboarding, took three months.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as Jira.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Rational ALM a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Atlassian, Microsoft and others in Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites. Updated: January 2022.
    563,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Engineering Quality Analyst at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Scalable and simple to use, but the stability could be improved
    • "It's easy to use."
    • "The stability of IBM Rational ALM could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use IBM Rational ALM in my daily work to verify the engineering tools to see the visibility aspects in different CLM facilities.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The stability of IBM Rational ALM could be improved.

I have been using IBM Rational ALM for two years.

IBM Rational ALM is not that stable, at least in our company, it has several issues.

IBM Rational ALM is a scalable solution. It is used by everyone in our organization. We have thousands of users.

I have not contacted technical support. We have a team internally that does everything for us.

I used Jira, a long time ago. I have not used it for two years.

We switched to IBM Rational ALM because Jira was not a complete Application solution for ALM.

We have a contract, but I am not aware of the details.

What other advice do I have?

If it is used the way it was designed to be used, it could be a higher grade, but it depends a lot on how people are using it.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate IBM Rational ALM a seven out of ten.