IBM Cloud Object Storage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Cloud Object Storage is the #13 ranked solution in top File and Object Storage tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Cloud Object Storage an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. IBM Cloud Object Storage is most commonly compared to Red Hat Ceph Storage: IBM Cloud Object Storage vs Red Hat Ceph Storage. IBM Cloud Object Storage is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the File and Object Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IBM Cloud Object Storage?

IBM Cloud Object Storage is a web-scale platform that stores unstructured data - from petabyte to exabyte - with reliability, security, availability and disaster recovery without replication.

IBM Cloud Object Storage was previously known as Cleversafe.

IBM Cloud Object Storage Customers

Bitly, Dreamstime, Prime Research

IBM Cloud Object Storage Video

IBM Cloud Object Storage Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Cloud Object Storage pricing:
  • "You have the option of a monthly or yearly license. Most customers choose the monthly option. I understand what you would like to say. IBM also lets you choose among four types of Cloud Object Storage. The difference is usage, performance, etc. Of course, high-performance storage is more expensive, while low-performance storage is for cold data, and it's really cheap."
  • "Pricing is not cheap."
  • IBM Cloud Object Storage Reviews

JozefUrica - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Backup and Recovery IT Specialist Certified (IBM) at Kyndryl
    It has virtually infinite capacity but doesn't perform as well as hardware solutions
    • "One of Cloud Object Storage's best features is infinite capacity. This is one of the main advantages if you don't want to use your own storage. You also have the ability to write only, write once, and read many. It's like tape storage but software-based. This feature is essential for financial institutions that require that kind of protection if you write backup or data there."
    • "The performance could be better. It isn't bad, but everything is network-based, so you have a performance penalty on the network. You can never achieve the same performance as hardware. That's the disadvantage of cloud storage solutions in general. Cloud performance is one of the main issues clients have."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cloud Object Storage for backend storage. Some customers are using traditional library or data storage, but we also have purely cloud-based customers. They use Cloud Object Storage as backend storage for the Spectrum Protect Server.

We aren't using Cloud Object Storage for applications or for some operating system. It is only backend storage and a target for backups that go through Spectrum Protect Server and end up on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

One of Cloud Object Storage's best features is infinite capacity. This is one of the main advantages if you don't want to use your own storage. You also have the ability to write only, write once, and read many. It's like tape storage but software-based. This feature is essential for financial institutions that require that kind of protection if you write backup or data there.

It's similar to AirGate protection, but it's software-based. You cannot overwrite the data once you write it. The software blocks it.

What needs improvement?

The performance could be better. It isn't bad, but everything is network-based, so you have a performance penalty on the network. You can never achieve the same performance as hardware. That's the disadvantage of cloud storage solutions in general. Cloud performance is one of the main issues clients have.

I wouldn't use it for business-critical data that customers need to access regularly. It's suitable for storing code data. For example, say you're required to retain data for 10 or 20 years, and nobody's using it, but you need to keep it for legal purposes. Cloud Object Storage is suitable for holding that kind of data.

I would like IBM to improve performance. I know that there are other tools that can help you, but you need to buy another license. For example, Aspera can help you with network latency.

Cloud Object Storage is a stable solution. When you buy it, you are not buying one copy. You can have a regional or a global replica, so you can use data from the other location If one site potentially is not available. It has built-in redundancy.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Red Hat, Scality and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: November 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

If you are talking about just IBM, Cloud Object Storage is scalable. It also depends on the region. There are three data centers in Germany, so there is almost infinite capacity. Amsterdam and other areas have just one data center, so you could potentially reach capacity limits. IBM spreads the data to the other data center closest to your primary location.

If we need to do something with hardware, we open a ticket, and the local guys in the data center handle the request. You don't need to travel to the data center to fix the issue.

They can solve a simple issue within a few hours, but complex problems take a few days. In my experience, we've never had trouble with cloud data centers.

Sometimes spare parts are missing in a traditional data center. It's usually not a problem with the technician, but it's an issue with a spare part where we need to wait for delivery, and it can take weeks to get it. The cloud data center is excellent from this point of view because they have lots of spare parts.

I don't have hands-on experience with AWS, Azure, or Oracle. I'm getting certifications and upskilling myself to use these solutions in the future. My company is an IBM partner, and we were an IBM service provider in the past, so we've mostly used IBM technology. Now we are also a partner of Microsoft, VMware, AWS, Oracle, and Azure. In the future, we will focus on using and comparing other technologies.

I don't think the setup is complex. it's straightforward. I rate Cloud Object Storage seven or eight out of 10 for ease of use. It depends on the skills of the person installing it.

You have the option of a monthly or yearly license. Most customers choose the monthly option. I understand what you would like to say. IBM also lets you choose among four types of Cloud Object Storage. The difference is usage, performance, etc. Of course, high-performance storage is more expensive, while low-performance storage is for cold data, and it's really cheap.

If you're adding storage, it costs the same as buying a new one. You don't get discounts. It's no problem to add extra capacity, but it really depends on the type of storage you are using. Of course, the final cost depends on the type you are using and how much space you'll need in the future.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Cloud Object Storage seven out of 10. There are performance issues. I'm still trying AWS. If it has the same issue, maybe I would rate it higher. I don't know if it's only IBM, but I think it might be a general issue. Cloud Object Storage uses the same technology and protocols as AWS S3. IBM, Amazon, and Microsoft all use it. It depends on the network.

IBM
    IBM Storage Systems at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    The main advantage is the additional services
    • "IBM has the most number of additional services, this is the main advantage."
    • "IBM Cloud storage is not cheap, but it could be."

What is our primary use case?

We use the vendor component. Two years ago, I worked as a technical lead and I expanded the business partner channel. We found some new clients requiring cloud object storage, but unfortunately, IBM didn't have a data center in the required location. IBM compares favorably in terms of price, however. A lot of companies have this same problem, in terms of a lack of data centers. Some Polish businesses are thinking about adapting their infrastructure to the cloud, but there is not enough uptake at the moment, unfortunately.

How has it helped my organization?

The IBM solution can work with different types of hardware. Clients can use their own data centre or one in the cloud provided by IBM. Data can be forwarded as snapshots between different areas of the business.

What is most valuable?

IBM has the most number of additional services, this is the main advantage. The IBM cloud object storage solution tool is a good product. The customer can own the storage object solution and their own data center. For example, it is possible for users to connect to the local data center and the cloud data center. We are informed this is very good for all the bugs

What needs improvement?

Perhaps in price and they don't have a large number of additional services.

We have been using this product for 4 years.

It is a stable product.

IBM Cloud storage is scalable, as it integrates different products together.

Technical support is good.

The setup is simple.

IBM Cloud storage is not cheap, but it could be.

We considered Commodore but that requires a large infrastructure. IBM is quick and easy to setup.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product 8 out of 10.

IBM
    November 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Owning Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Effective for multiple sites and Geo-dispersed data, but lacking performance
    • "IBM Cloud Object Storage integrates well."
    • "The performance could improve in IBM Cloud Object Storage. The throughput or objects per second can have degradation."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Cloud Object Storage was designed for the purposes of spreading your systems across multiple sites, at least three sites.

How has it helped my organization?

Since I'm a partner for COS this isn't something I can comment on.

What is most valuable?

IBM Cloud Object Storage integrates well.

If I'm a customer evaluating your environment, I need to understand what the motivations are and if the motivations are in alignment with multiple sites. For example, if I am the producer or distributor of digital movies or video surveillance material, then solutions such as Amplidata/Quantum and the Cloud Object Storage product would be better suited. If I were building my own storage cloud as a service provider, I would lean towards those solutions.

What needs improvement?

The performance could improve in IBM Cloud Object Storage. The throughput or objects per second can have degradation.

I have used IBM Cloud Object Storage within the past 12 months.

I have used Quantum ActiveScale.

Teradata has customers that have requested, and we have responded by integrating the Teradata database to IBM Cloud Object Storage, such as NetApp and Hitachi or Dell EMC ECS and MinIO. The integrations have been smooth.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others that are thinking about implementing IBM Cloud Object Storage that you have to look at your use case to see if it is a good fit. If you have more of an archival use case, it may not be the best solution for you. It's about matching what your aims are to the platform.

IBM Cloud Object Storage is an acquisition of a company called Cleversafe. Quantum ActiveScale, also the acquisition of Amplidata. And both of those products are really designed for Geo-dispersed data.

I rate IBM Cloud Object Storage a six out of ten.

Download our free File and Object Storage Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Red Hat, Scality, and more!
    Updated: November 2022