Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Dell ECS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell ECS is #4 ranked solution in top File and Object Storage tools. PeerSpot users give Dell ECS an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Dell ECS is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: Dell ECS vs Amazon AWS. Dell ECS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the File and Object Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Dell ECS?

Enterprise-ready. Future-proof. Data-first.

Dell EMC Elastic Cloud Storage (ECS) is a file and object storage solution from Dell EMC. ECS has been created to support both traditional and next-generation ecosystems equally. ECS boasts unrivaled economics, manageability, resilience, and scalability to satisfy the demands of today's next-gen, robust business enterprise ecosystems. ECS can easily be deployed in a software-defined model or as a turn-key appliance. ECS is software-defined and multi-layered for unlimited scalability. Every layer is abstracted and scalable with no single point of failure.

• Data service layer: Provides S3 access along with access to SWIFT, CAZ, NFS, HDFS.
  • Storage service layer: Stores, retrieves and protects data.
  • Fabric layer: Provides clustering, configuration management, health monitoring.

Everything is done within the software, which is containerized, using docker.

ECS is currently deployed using basic commodity hardware, which can easily be federated across as many as eight different locations and managed as a single resource. Additionally, ECS can also protect data at the site level, locally, disk, node, and rack levels. The federation enables a single global namespace with everywhere access to content. Applications can quickly rewrite in an active/active or everywhere active manner.

ECS is also able to be used as secondary storage or archival storage. This will free up valuable primary storage of data that is stale, redundant, or used infrequently, and the data will remain easily accessible. ECS uses policy-based tiering such as Data Domain, Cloud tiering, Isilon using cloud polls, and Geodrive, which give Windows systems direct access to ECS. Windows users can still use server message block (SMB) while leveraging the more expansive ECS storage.

ECS is enterprise-grade and offers valuable features such as retention, multi-tenancy, metering, monitoring, quotas, and more. ECS builds in robust security from the ground up and encrypts data. ECS is compliant with STIG guidelines and adheres to SEC rule 17A-4F.

ECS is an enterprise-ready solution that allows organizations to easily simplify object storage management and visualize information in intuitive new ways, and empowers your business to do even more with data. With ECS, enterprise organizations can deliver cloud-scale economics in-house that will lower total cost of ownership (TCO) and scale, creating greater levels of productivity and profitability.

Reviews from Real Users

One user, who is a deputy director at a tech service company, says ECS offers “good performance, reliability, and technical support”.

Dell EMC ECS is “a stable solution which is easy to scale, install and manage”, relates another user, who is a senior buyer at a tech service company.

"What I like best about this product is that it is a complete solution, both hardware, and software, by the same vendor," summarizes a system engineer at a tech services company.

Dell ECS was previously known as EMC ECS, Dell EMC Elastic Cloud Storage, EMC Elastic Cloud Storage.

Dell ECS Customers

Atos

Dell ECS Video

Dell ECS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell ECS pricing:
  • "It's a lease-based model, so it's capacity-based. We already negotiated the price a lot, but we're still doing that with Dell because somehow the product was not installed successfully, so there was a lot of struggle in the distributor territory between Dell and the environment itself. I would give the solution a 6 out of 10 for the pricing. There's a little room for improvement."
  • "Dell EMC ECS is too expensive."
  • "We initially purchased all of the licenses at the same time."
  • "The solution could be cheaper."
  • Dell ECS Reviews

Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Has load balancing facility, and good for unstructured data and DR
    • "It's definitely good for unstructured data. In earlier days, we had Centera, so for the DR it's really good. It has load balancing facility, and we're using it with the Kemp Load Balancer."
    • "The disaster recovery could be improved because there should be something in-built within the ECS. Search and recovery should be in-built. Right now, we have to use some external tools for performing the recovery itself. For example, we're using Atempo or deploying Golden Superna, so it has dependency on the external third party vendors."

What is our primary use case?

We are using version 3. It's deployed on-premises. We are using it as a DR as of now. We have the Isilon in our environment, so we are taking the tertiary backups to this ECS just for disaster recovery purposes. It's secondary storage.

We are increasing our usage. Our primary storage is growing, so we have to go to secondary storage to cope with the data. We refresh it almost every six months or one year at least.

Because it's secondary storage, users don't have direct access to it. Only the storage administrators have access to it for any DR or any recovery, but the primary storage itself is used by around 17,000 people. It's one of the largest Isilon clusters in the UK. It's around 106 nodes.

What is most valuable?

It's definitely good for unstructured data. In earlier days, we had Centera, so for the DR, it's really good. It has a load balancing facility, and we're using it with the Kemp Load Balancer.

What needs improvement?

The disaster recovery could be improved because there should be something in-built within the ECS. Search and recovery should be in-built. Right now, we have to use some external tools for performing the recovery itself. For example, we're using Atempo or deploying Golden Superna, so it has dependency on the external third-party vendors.

Currently, there aren't any pain points with this solution, but there have been some in the past. From the Golden Superna perspective, one pain point was that we weren't able to deploy it successfully. Dell, which provides this solution, was not able to deliver it successfully. The problem was that they deployed the Superna Golden Copy for the recovery purpose, where we create the buckets for the file-level recovery. But the solution itself was deployed on one of the VMs, and the problem was that we were told that this VM where the Superna Golden Copy was setting itself would only direct the Isilon to replicate or take the backup to the ECS directly. However, later on, we were able to discover that this was not directing itself. All of the data had to travel through the VM itself. There were a lot of issues in that case because we were going to face a bottleneck in our production environment, and we discarded that.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half because we deployed it last year in the TRL environment.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, NetApp, Red Hat and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: September 2022.
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I would say it is stable. I don't think there have been any issues so far.

The scalability is good. We are scaling it now, and we're going to add another two nodes in the next two months.

Dell support is very good.

I have experience with Centera, which is also a Dell product but the old one. That's also an object storage kind of solution, but that's an absolute technology now. I know of the technology on the cloud as well, like the NetApp StorageGRID, which is the same technology as the object storage.

Deployment was not complex, but the solution itself wasn't mature. They have provided the solution, which they have not tested in the multiple environment itself.

Deployment took around two to three months. There was a project team working with us. The hardware was applied very quickly. It wasn't very difficult, but the main structure, which was Golden Copy or the Atempo, took two to three months.

It's a lease-based model, so it's capacity-based. We already negotiated the price a lot, but we're still doing that with Dell because somehow the product was not installed successfully, so there was a lot of struggle in the distributor territory between Dell and the environment itself. I would give the solution a 6 out of 10 for the pricing. There's a little room for improvement.

There are no additional costs to the standard licensing fees.

I didn't evaluate any other options because I didn't directly choose this option; it was the customer. But because the majority of the landscape was occupied by Dell, we had to go for the ECS only. They tried to put something on the cloud. We explored some options with the customer, but that didn't work out well because they wanted something on-premises, and for the on-premises, we had only two options: ECS or StorageGRID, or we had to go for the Equinix Data Center, the core location data center.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10. It's a good solution. If someone doesn't want to go on the cloud, then this is the best solution that we have in the market right now. It's reliable and stable.

There should have been some POC done by the vendor itself. Either it should have been done for a small chunk, but a POC should have been done before implementing it because I don't think they have many customers as of now. My environment has some external dependencies, like Superna Golden Copy and Atempo, so that might be why they are facing those situation load issues.

Senior Datacenter Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    Reasonably priced with good stability and good scalability
    • "It's my understanding that the initial setup is straightforward."
    • "You should be able to calculate so that when it's full it's 100% full, not just 90%."

What is our primary use case?

We installed it last year at a customer site.

We use it for archive and for backups, our third copy backups.

What is most valuable?

The storage is cheap.

It's easier than tape. We use it instead of tape now.

We've found the solution to have good stability.

The product can scale.

It's my understanding that the initial setup is straightforward.

Technical support seems to be pretty helpful.

What needs improvement?

The issue we have is the solution is doing a system Read-Only to only 90%. Instead of 100%, you get the read-only at 90%. It's hard to explain to the customer that, "your system is full, you only have it at 90% full, however, yes, that's considered full even though you have 10% left." You should be able to calculate so that when it's full it's 100% full, not just 90%.

I've worked with the solution for a little over a year.

The solution feels pretty stable. We have not had any issues with it, aside from discs now and then. We have about six petabytes. It's a lot of discs, that we have, and only a few have failed. it's a small number in comparison to the big picture. We've been running it for a year pretty much without incident.

The solution is more suitable for larger organizations as opposed to smaller companies.

It's a product that is easy to scale.

It's been working fine and therefore we haven't used technical support that much. We use it when we expand the system with more notes, and for the GEODrive. We might have some questions about that, however, overall it's been pretty good and problem-free.

I've been working with storage for 20 or 30 years or something like that. I've been with IBM, NetApp, and other EMC products before Dell. I've had experience with HPE, 3PARs, and Nimble. I've used pretty much every storage product on the market.

The difference depends on basically the customer and what they have from the beginning. Each product has its positive attributes. It depends on what the customers are going to do with it. We have other archive products that are at least as good as the ECS.

While the initial setup looks pretty straightforward, we didn't actually do the implementation.

There are things in the background that are running, of course, however in terms of maintenance requirements, it's not that much.

In terms of pricing, for the performance it gives, it's quite competitive. It's not the best performance, so you get what you pay for, however, if you want performance for, for example, a file server, or something like that, ECS is not the right product. That said, the pricing also depends on the customer and how much discount they get, et cetera. There are different licensing models.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. We're a partner and reseller.

We are using the latest version. We just updated it in August or September.

I'd advise new users to buy enough nodes for the performance so that you calculate the performance correctly, as that can be an issue for some.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. For how we use it, we are quite happy with its capabilities.

September 2022
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Product Manager at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Competitive and stable, but they need better support and pricing
    • "This product is very competitive."
    • "In Taiwan, they don't have professional technical support."

What is our primary use case?

We create a service for our customers to access EMC Storage.

We use this product for an on-premises server to access the EMC storage. We locate our EMC in our IDC center, and we provide our enterprise customers access to it.

We sell this service, space, and AWS SAN storage.

What is most valuable?

This product is very competitive. It's a good product.

What needs improvement?

In Taiwan, they don't have professional technical support. They don't have many channels or distributions to provide professional services.

They only provide preventative services for themselves. It is very difficult for us to resell this service to our enterprise customers because EMC doesn't have many resources. This is an area that needs to be improved.

Our customers need EMC for their Big Data services.

This product is very competitive but the professional services need to be improved.

Also, the price could be reduced. We need more marketing activity in Taiwan, as it would be very helpful in trying to resell this product.

I have been selling the latest version of this solution for six months.

It's a very stable storage solution.

Because we wanted to provide our enterprise customers with a multi-tenancy service, but they don't have the multi-tenancy architecture, they can only use it on-premises at one company. We contacted Dell EMC ECS and we created a scenario for the mechanics to build out a multi-tenancy service.

This is something that was not originally provided with Dell EMC ECS.

Dell has a very poor support channel in Taiwan. They sell the models directly to our enterprise customers. They don't have a very good vendor support system.

We need to start it ourselves, then we can provide it to our enterprise customers.

Dell EMC ECS is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue selling this solution, but we need them to support it on more than just a case by case basis because it takes too long.

It depends on the Dell EMC resources but we cannot rely on their distributors for help. It's not a good enough business model.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. That said, there are a few improvements needed, including that it could be cheaper.

I would rate this product a seven out of ten.

Lead Middleware Admin at National Australia Bank
    Scalable and stable object storage platform, with good storage group functionality
    • "Competitive object storage platform that's stable and scalable."
    • "Dell EMC ECS should support segregation of duty, particularly for role-based access controls. Having a single pane of glass for smarter observation and better control mechanism would also make this solution better."

What is our primary use case?

Dell EMC ECS is for object storage, e.g. for storing some of the archival, internal APIs.

What is most valuable?

I'm recommending Dell EMC ECS because it's a Dell product, and it's as competitive as NetApp StorageGRID. I like that it gives standard SG (storage group) the same as StorageGRID. They're both good. I'm satisfied with Dell EMC ECS, in general.

What needs improvement?

There's one problem with Dell EMC ECS. There are certain utility processes that come from the boot, and there isn't any user who can execute them. It's comparable to a serious power migration. The segregation of duty needs to be improved in this product, e.g. we have role-based access controls, so they should support segregation of duty, as that would be very helpful.

These days, everyone's trying to get more unified storage, and then you need to have a single pane of glass to allow everything, so it would be good if the next release of this product would have a single pane of glass for smarter observation and better control mechanism.

Dell EMC ECS is a stable product, though we'll no longer be needing it.

We have no problems with Dell EMC ECS, in terms of scalability.

I evaluated NetApp StorageGRID.

What other advice do I have?

We have experience using both NetApp and Dell EMC ECS in our company. We also have experience with Dell EMC VNX and FlexPod. We are trying to retire Dell EMC ECS.

We're trying to migrate our whole data center into the cloud, so we'll no longer require usage of Dell EMC ECS.

I don't currently have a cost comparison, so it won't be fair to comment on the pricing for Dell EMC ECS.

People in our company who are Dell EMC ECS SMEs are happy, so I'm giving a rating of nine out of ten for the solution. We are also trying to retire it, but I see that those who are working with it have sympathy for it, so it's a nine.

System Engineer at CSS Versicherung
    Reliable with a good compliance mode and a decent interface
    • "The scalability is good."
    • "They need to ensure that the system will work if a site goes down."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an archive storage for our documents.

What is most valuable?

The compliance mode and such things are the most valuable aspects.

It has been stable.

The scalability is good.

We're happy with the interface.

It integrates well with APIs.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, I don't feel like we have to improve anything.

When the system goes down, then the compliance mode will not be all over the system. The system will stop working. They need to ensure that the system will work if a site goes down. That said, we have yet to have a site outage.

I've been dealing with the product for four years.

The solution is stable. there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable. The performance has been good.

The solution is scalable.

We have about 2,000 people using the solution.

Technical support is good.

We worked with the EMC Centera product previously. Dell EMC announced the end of life of the Centera assistance, so we changed to ECS.

The setup for us was pretty easy and pretty hands-off as we had outside assistance.

We implemented the solution a long time ago. I'm not sure how long the deployment itself took.

Normally, maintenance will be provided by Dell EMC. You call and then Dell EMC will do the upgrade and so on.

The setup was done by an external consultant. We don't have so much to do with this setup.

I can't speak to the exact pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I use the product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

We're a customer and end-user.

Executive Manager, IT Operations with 11-50 employees
    Good technology that performs well

What is our primary use case?

Dell EMC ECS is the leading storage area network, you can do anything with it. Some companies have 10,000 users, it depends on the structure.

What is most valuable?

The technology is very good, it performs well.

What needs improvement?

It is a good solution, except for the cost.

I have been using Dell EMC ECS for 15 years.

The stability is perfect.

Dell EMC ECS is an enterprise solution. It works for small, medium and large enterprise organizations.

Technical support of Dell EMC ECS is fine as long as you are paying your licensing for both software and hardware. If you are paying for higher level support you will receive higher level support.

I have worked on all enterprise storage solutions.

All storage is different. You need qualified people who understand storage to install it.

The solution requires a qualified competent technical team to install it.

Dell EMC ECS solution is expensive. It requires an annual subscription, monthly will not work for the user or for Dell.

What other advice do I have?

This solution can be for everybody. You need to assess your own needs. Dell EMC ECS covers solutions across the board. You can't go wrong with a universal leadership product.

I rate the solution an 8 out of 10.

Deputy director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Good performance, reliability, and technical support

What is our primary use case?

Dell EMC ECS is for the object storage that is specifically designed for the purpose.

What is most valuable?

I am satisfied with this solution.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

They do not have complete documentation, which is very weak and could be improved.

When you take the course, it's unclear how it actually logs in the information and how the dockers work. The Ui is misleading.

I have been working with Dell EMC ECS for five or six years.

Dell EMC ECS is a stable solution.

It's a scalable product.

I have contacted technical support several times. I am satisfied with them.

The technical support is good.

The installation is complicated. It's extremely difficult.

The installation is done by the EMC team.

We initially purchased all of the licenses at the same time.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are considering using it.

I would rate Dell EMC ECS an eight out of ten.

Senior Buyer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    A stable solution which is easy to scale, install and manage

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for data storage, although not for ones in large quantities.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution is easy to scale and that's its stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more cost-effective and secure.

We have been using Dell EMC ECS for around two years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is easily scalable.

I have not had occasion to contact technical support.

We did not make use of another solution prior to the current one.

The solution is easy to install.

I do not recall how long this took.

Two administrators are sufficient for the deployment.

The solution could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is easy to manage. It does not require more storage.

There are around two users making use of the solution.

I rate the solution as an eight out of ten.

Download our free File and Object Storage Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, NetApp, Red Hat, and more!
    Updated: September 2022