Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is #2 ranked solution in top Frame-Based Disk Arrays and #4 ranked solution in top Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) tools. PeerSpot users give Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is most commonly compared to Dell SC Series: Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series vs Dell SC Series. Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Buyer's Guide

Download the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series?

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform Gx00 Series delivers advanced, active flash tiering that analyzes data streams in real time and moves data from disk to flash to meet demanding performance SLAs with a cost-effective mix of flash and disk.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series was previously known as Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G1500.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Customers

M&S, Coop Group, Kufstein Hospital, Sichuan Local Taxation Bureau, Wuxi Municipal Bureau

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Video

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series pricing:
  • "The licensing cost of Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series, whether it would be high or more affordable, would depend on location. For example, here in Brazil, Hitachi charges in dollars and this means my company still needs to convert that into local currency. Sometimes, my company also needs to discuss the pricing with the Hitachi sales team and request for a discount. At the moment, pricing for Hitachi is high, but my team can have some global funding or global accounts that would help reach the price my company is aiming for."
  • "The cost price of this product is better than its competitors."
  • "Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series tools are highly specialized, such as management and performance tools and the overall solution is expensive. If customers want to have a lot of data in their hands, they need to purchase several solutions."
  • "The price of the solution is reasonable. However, I have not done extensive comparative research on the price. If you want to upgrade the size of the disc you will need to purchase a license that accounts for the size."
  • Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Reviews

MardenOliveira - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect at Philips
    Fast and reliable with good sales support and pricing
    • "What I like best about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is that it's a fast storage solution. It also has reliable models. The sales support is also good for this product. Even the pricing for it is good."
    • "At the moment, I don't see any room for improvement in Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series because my experience with the product is very good. The software is okay and you can manage the storage well. What I'd like to see in the next release of Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is for it to be a real NAS solution because right now, you need to use a Hitachi converter called HNAS which makes the process a little bit more expensive. In my opinion, Hitachi should look into the possibility of unifying the HNAS into full storage, meaning that the HNAS should be integrated into the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series."

What is our primary use case?

Here at Philips, we are using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for image history purposes, in particular, restoring high-resolution images for our customers.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is that it's a fast storage solution. It also has reliable models. The sales support is also good for this product. Even the pricing for it is good.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, I don't see any room for improvement in Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series because my experience with the product is very good. The software is okay and you can manage the storage well.

What I'd like to see in the next release of Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is for it to be a real NAS solution because right now, you need to use a Hitachi converter called HNAS which makes the process a little bit more expensive. In my opinion, Hitachi should look into the possibility of unifying the HNAS into full storage, meaning that the HNAS should be integrated into the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series.

I've been using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series, and the first storage my company ever bought from Hitachi was in 2015. I'm still using the product.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is a stable product.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is easy to scale.

I'm rating the technical support team of Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series a ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Setting up Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series was easy.

The licensing cost of Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series, whether it would be high or more affordable, would depend on location. For example, here in Brazil, Hitachi charges in dollars and this means my company still needs to convert that into local currency. Sometimes, my company also needs to discuss the pricing with the Hitachi sales team and request for a discount. At the moment, pricing for Hitachi is high, but my team can have some global funding or global accounts that would help reach the price my company is aiming for.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using Unity, Isilon, and Hitachi, particularly Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series, actually several different storage solutions and models.

The models of Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series which I have include the G350, G370, G400, and the G600.

Around one thousand people use Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series within my company.

My advice to people looking into using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is to look into the product because it's a very good product. It's reliable, but you should also prepare the environment well for the hardware. You should have a good understanding of your needs and why you should go with Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series, and not compare Hitachi with other solutions that aren't comparable to the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series. You should listen well and understand what the Hitachi sales team is proposing and explaining to ensure that you're buying the product that you need.

My rating for Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is ten out of ten.

My company is a partner of Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series though it doesn't sell the hardware to end customers. What my company does is buy the hardware from Hitachi, then it offers it as hardware as a service to the customers.

Storage Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Decent performance, straightforward to set up, good support, and it served our purposes at the time
    • "The performance was decent."
    • "We moved away from this product because we were looking for an all-flash solution, and with our G1500 at the time, perhaps two years ago, they were just proposing more of the same technology."

What is our primary use case?

We used the G Series as our primary shared storage, SAN storage. It hosted all of the critical applications and databases.

How has it helped my organization?

The G Series may not have improved our organization, but it basically met the status quo of what we had been doing.

What is most valuable?

The performance was decent.

What needs improvement?

We moved away from this product because we were looking for an all-flash solution, and with our G1500 at the time, perhaps two years ago, they were just proposing more of the same technology. What we wanted was a flash solution that was developed from the ground-up. I think that since then, HDS has come out with an updated product, newer than the G1500 that we had.

For us, continuing to use products from this vendor would have required having a solution that was revamped as flash storage from the ground-up, as opposed to a historical frame that's just evolved over the years.

We used the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for approximately seven years and have just moved away from using it.

This product was stable and there were certainly no issues that I remember.

When we purchased it, we bought the full capacity of the frame. With it fully-populated on day one, there was no need for us to scale.

This was our main storage device, so 90% of applications and 90% of our users were situated on it.

The technical support was good. There is always room for improvement but I have no specifics with regards to their support.

Over the past seven years, we used three different versions. We started with the VSP, then upgraded to the G1000, and then the G1500 was the most recent one.

We used the Dell EMC DMX series, as well. All the software products that we had, we were comfortable with when we were on the EMC DMX series. So, after switches, it was all the same kind of software and functionality that we were used to. It wasn't really over and above what we had with EMC at the time, but rather just more of the same.

The reason we switched is that after putting out an RFP, we evaluated options based on the technology and pricing. Hitachi was the winner.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that everybody has to do their own due diligence. The G Series is a good product but it isn't meet our requirements

In summary, this is a very good product but there's always room for improvement. It certainly served our purposes at the time.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series
    September 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    CISO at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Good support, highly reliable, with high capabilities, and is secure
    • "This is a good product with high capabilities and high reliability."
    • "I would like to see an audit account set up such that the user can log in, see the configuration, and see the logs, but they cannot make any changes."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is as a SAN device for my ERP solution, as well as for my Windows Servers.

What is most valuable?

This is a good product with high capabilities and high reliability.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform for one and a half years.

This solution is very stable and in the last one and a half years, we have not faced any issues with it. We are going to continue using it in the future.

This product is pretty scalable. We have approximately 1,200 users who are storing data or using it one way or another.

We had some issues with the creation of partitions and it was taken up by Hitachi and it was resolved immediately. I would say that their support is pretty good.

Prior to this, we were using the IBM V3700 series, and we upgraded from that to the Hitachi.

The installation was straightforward. We faced some issues because of the travel calendar because there is no partner for Hitachi in the North zone. It took some time, but it was pretty good.

An integrator assisted us with the deployment. In total, there were six people involved in setting up the complete configuration. Three of them were from my side, and the other three from the vendor.

The cost price of this product is better than its competitors.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I don't think needs any improvement because I don't see any challenges. I definitely recommend this solution to others.

The security of this solution depends on how it is installed.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Engineer at Innovo
    Helpful support, performs well, and highly reliable
    • "The most valuable feature of Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is the platform and overall usage has been good. We have not had very many issues."
    • "The life-cycle of the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is too short. We only had approximately four or five years out of the solution before it was rendered its end of life."

What is our primary use case?

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series are used for mission-critical storage for large companies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is the platform and overall usage has been good. We have not had very many issues.

What needs improvement?

The life-cycle of the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is too short. We only had approximately four or five years out of the solution before it was rendered its end of life.

I have been using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for approximately seven years.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is highly stable and reliable.

The scalability of the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is good.

The support for Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is very good.

I would advise others that are wanting to implement Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series to look carefully at the tools they need, such as management. It is important to evaluate this tool, it can be very useful. If they don't have these tools needed then it can be very difficult to receive reliable information.

The customer has an in-house team that deals with everyday operations. However, they hired us to do the second-level support. We have two people, that do the support. One is for the storage itself, and the other handles data protection.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series tools are highly specialized, such as management and performance tools and the overall solution is expensive. If customers want to have a lot of data in their hands, they need to purchase several solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is at its end of life, we do not sell them anymore.

I rate Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series a nine out of ten.

Senior technical and storage expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good reliability and stability
    • "It's best features are its reliability and stability."
    • "In terms of what could be improved, it could use a better, faster web console and other consoles. It is so boring waiting, waiting and waiting for it to refresh."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform is for storing data from the Oracle database. Additionally, it is for banking and other transactions.

What is most valuable?

It's best features are its reliability and stability.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, it could use a better, faster web console and other consoles. It is so boring waiting, waiting and waiting for it to refresh. Additionally, there could be more rate groups for it, or different rate groups. Right now there are limited options in regards to the rate group.

I have been using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series over the course of the last year.

The version we use depends on our situation and the agreement between us and the customer. Every contract between our company and another company, like banks in Iran, is different.

In terms of numbers of users, it depends on the customer. It can be more than 1,000 or 10,000 people.

In terms of technical support, in our country, it's illegal so we try to fix our problem by ourselves. So it is hard.

It's not easy to install, but I know how to install it. Its web design and console are very weak and do not have enough speed.

It took 10 times to install.

We require about 10 people for the deployment.

In terms of cost, in our country and with our money, it is an expensive solution, but it's valuable.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation to anyone looking to use Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is to read and read and read and learn from other people's experiences and basic knowledge. This is really important for everyone.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series a nine.

Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Many replication options, high performance, and good support
    • "We have many different types of replication, such as remote and drop local replication. All these features and licenses are already available. These are basic features available in the current model. Additionally, the performance has been good in our experience."
    • "We have not been able to procure more discs for upcoming projects and this has been a problem for us. Not having additional storage is going to be an issue. The solution is at its end of life and will be replaced soon."

What is our primary use case?

We are Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for hard disk replication.

What is most valuable?

We have many different types of replication, such as remote and drop local replication. All these features and licenses are already available. These are basic features available in the current model. Additionally, the performance has been good in our experience.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for approximately 10 years.

The stability of the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is good.

The technical support is good.

If you are migrating from Hitachi to Hitachi, it has not been a problem for us because if you have an existing model they will do the migration to a newer one. In case if you are going to change different OEMs you will have to have the right model equivalent for migration. For example, if you have an HPE solution equivalent to the Hitachi is 5100 then the migration is possible.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series a nine out of ten.

Ali Yazıcı - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    A good, robust device that doesn't need too much troubleshooting

What is our primary use case?

We use Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for core products. We get new machines and move the data to new machines. In our organization, we have over 5,000 users.

How has it helped my organization?

it is help us to increase performance and ensure business continuity.

What is most valuable?

It is robust. It doesn't need too much troubleshooting. It is a good device.

What needs improvement?

The snapshot and clone operation functions can be made easier.

I have been using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for about six years.

It is highly stable.

It has good scalability.

We have contacted them for a technical issue. Their technical support is good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have an older version of Hitachi, which is also a virtual storage platform but not the G Series. Also EMC VMAX

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment took about a week.

Our vendor deployed it.

Dell EMC VMAX

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series a ten out of ten. It is a good product.

Download our free Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022