Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series is the #15 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. PeerSpot users give Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series is most commonly compared to Dell Unity XT: Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series vs Dell Unity XT. Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series?

RETHINK YOUR DEFINITION OF SPEED AND PERFORMANCE

With adaptive, guaranteed data reduction and a 100% data-availability guarantee, Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F series helps you tackle complicated business challenges. Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) VSP F series delivers up to 4.8M IOPS with sub-millisecond response times.
Featuring legendary Hitachi reliability, VSP F series arrays are backed by the industries only 100% availability guarantee. For these reasons, 80% of the Fortune 500 choose Hitachi all-flash arrays to accelerate the performance of mission-critical applications like Oracle, SAP, Virtualization, Microsoft apps etc. With over 350 patents in flash technology, Hitachi’s innovative mix of flash hardware and software accelerates ROI with enterprise-class reliability and performance.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Customers

Turkcell, Owens Corning, Region Nord, Net Credit Financial Group (NFC Group), Russian Railways

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Video

Archived Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Reviews (more than two years old)

Mahdi Bahmani - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Virtual Storage Platform is the brand name for a Hitachi Data Systems line of computer data storage systems for data centers
  • "This is one of the most stable, high-end solutions in this area."
  • "The interface should be simplified and made easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and I work with a lot of different SAN products, depending on the needs of the customers. we have implemented this solution, as well as the G series, for some of our clients.

I have a project right now that involves revising and fine-tuning a storage network. This network contains two Hitatch VSP G Series units. There is not a major difference between the F Series and the G Series. Both of them are enterprise-scale and efficient for many data centers. It is used as primary storage in industries such as banking, automotive, health care, and insurance. Large companies, or companies that have an IBM mainframe.

If the solution requires a very high IO/s (Input/Output per second) with sub-millisecond response time then they should select the F Series because it has better performance.

How has it helped my organization?

I was attracted to this solution after finding out several of the special features that are available for storage.

• Storage Virtualization
  • Global Active Device
  • FMD
  • Metro Clustering
  • 3D Scale ( Scale-up, Scale-out, Scale-deep)

Three years later, I started to design an enterprise solution for one company, using this product has led to more stability and business owner satisfaction due to prevent unwanted downtime or service outage.

What is most valuable?

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G provides the always-availablHitachi Virtual Storage Platform G provides the always-available, agile and automated foundation needed for a trusted Continuous Cloud Infrastructure. Powered with Hitachi global storage virtualization, its new software capabilities unlock IT agility and enable the lowest storage TCO. This solution helps to provide more stability and high availability in Datacenters.e, agile and automated foundation needed for a trusted Continuous Cloud Infrastructure. Powered with Hitachi global storage virtualization, its new software capabilities unlock IT agility and enable the lowest storage TCO. This soultion helps to provies more stability and high-avalbility in Datacenters.

What needs improvement?

Compared to others, Hitachi products are more complex and not user-friendly. The interface should be simplified and made easier to use. For instance, the EMC Unity series is easier to manage.

In the next release of this solution, it should support NVMe.

An important improvement for this solution is cloud integration (OpenStack), as well as integration with VVoL technologies, Docker, Kubernetes, and Red Hat OpenShift.

I can say that in new Hitachi Vantara Products we can see a better interface and easier management.

October 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Dell Technologies, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: October 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have started working with HDS solutions for more than ten years ago. In my idea, the most perfect one is VSP G Series because you can find better integration with business requirments and better response to IT challenges.

This is one of the most stable, high-end solutions in this area. It has eight controllers and special features for connecting disks on the back end. It has a lot of front ports and all of the components are redundant. It is hard to find a problem with this product. It is designed for those who want less than one minute a year of downtime. It's a 24/7 product.

Based on customers need solutions should be designed. In my experience switching from previous brands to HDS VSP has led to reaching 40% better TCO and 99.9999 availability.

The installation of this solution is a little bit hard. In these kinds of products, the original companies are often interested in setting up the product in the customer's environment.

We are located in Iran, and there is a lot of tension and lack of communication because of our locale. There are restrictions in a lot of our data centers that preclude us from having special software from the original company, and because of that, we face a lot of problems when using these kinds of products.

The initial setup and configuration are usually done by the CE of the vendor, and after the initial configuration is complete, These products are sent to our data centers.

This solution is less expensive than the EMC VMAX series.

When you are looking for high-end solutions such as this, price is less important than stability and availability.

I have researched many products in the Enterprise area to find the best suits for my customers. These include high-end products by NetApp(FAS8060), EMC VMAX, the HPE XP P9500, and the HPE XP Series.

For instance, for one of my customers comparing the details of these products and my customer requirements has led to scoring each of the features. Ultimately, I chose the Hitachi VSP series. The second choice was the HPE XP P9500.

This type of comparison is not easy because there are a lot of companies and a lot of brands. However, I just wanted to find the best solution for my customer.

What other advice do I have?

Day to day, everything changes in the field of IT. I have done a lot of research on products such as this, and I have learned that we are going to have a lot more data in 2020. This huge amount of data means that you need the right platform for processing data quickly. More than before, we need a platform that can process large amounts of data in less than ten milliseconds. One such platform is the Hitachi VSP, with both good performance and availability.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Technical Consultant at a wholesaler/distributor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Works well in all deployment models, but it is expensive and technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and we sell storage solutions, including the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform. We do not work with this solution in the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can use it with all deployment models.

What needs improvement?

The user interface should be made simpler because it is difficult to manage.

Technical support needs to be improved.

Lowering the price of this solution would be an improvement.

I don't like Hitachi's technical support. They are there but it is not perfect and they are not very much help.

The initial setup is complex.

The length of time required for deployment depends on what you want to do, although it does not normally take more than one day.

This is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is not customer-oriented, so my advice for anybody who is implementing it is to acquire help for the installation, setup, and configuration.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
October 2022
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief System Engineer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Review about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for storage. I have a gateway to H-Net, which is where all my file systems are, and I have all my virtual environments on this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is a very reliable storage solution.

What needs improvement?

I think the management should be improved, because it is not very user-friendly at all. I also think the support could be better - at least for mid-range users. I think historically Hitachi systems are made for really big organizations like banks or insurance companies. Usually those companies have dedicated personnel dealing with the storage. And because they're very valuable clients, their support contracts are much more tailored to their businesses. Since this program is more aimed towards smaller companies, they don't have support solutions for mid-range companies.

I also think that their management is not very user-friendly. If this wasn't the case, more support wouldn't be necessary. It's a very reliable system, but the whole management user interface is very unfriendly. I know they're aware of that. They have a lot of data of management solutions, but none of them yet have reached sovereignty yet.

I have been using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F for four years now.

Mahdi Bahmani - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Storage for large mainframes that has stability and sustainability
  • "It is the most stable high-end solution in this area."
  • "The installation procedure it a bit difficult, because it is a high-end solution. With this type of product, the original company is interested in doing the setup for customers in the area, but because of sanctions we were not able to get support in our area. We faced many issued trying to learn to run this product."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for storage in some industries such as banking, automotive, healthcare, and insurance companies. It is for large companies or companies with a large mainframe such as an IBM mainframe. Our primary use case was for core banking.

How has it helped my organization?

Businesses are looking for simple storage solutions that can exceed expectations and meet the challenge of delivering continuous availability and high performance while maximizing the value of physical and virtual infrastructures. Simultaneously, enterprise and mission-critical business application environments are becoming increasingly unpredictable and organizations need the ability to deliver and orchestrate automated operations.

What is most valuable?

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F provides the always-available, agile and automated foundation needed for a trusted Continuous Cloud Infrastructure. Powered with Hitachi global storage virtualization, its new software capabilities unlock IT agility and enable the lowest storage TCO.

What needs improvement?

We have read in the latest newsletters that in 2020 there is going to be more data, more than four hundred zettabytes. It's a huge amount of data and you will need the right platform to process it. More than people, we will need a platform that can process that amount of data in less than a millisecond. So we are looking for a high-speed storage enterprise, such as VSP.

If you compare to other solutions, Hitachi is more complex, but the platform is improving and it's not as difficult as it used to be.

We are facing new technologies such as Container by Google. It's the new way of Application Virtualization. I think that Hitachi and other companies should follow these technologies for integration with new technologies such as container base and their products. I think that cloud integration is important with vVol technologies from VMware.

There will be many challenges, but we need more integration between F Storage and new technology for Cloud, vVol, and Container.

I would like the interface to be simplified more than it is. The interface can be improved with new technologies such as HTML5, which is being used by some storage vendors.

Hitachi interface management is not as easy as the EMC Unity series. It's better to use HTML5 for the management systems.

I have been using HDS solutions for over ten years and I have been using this solution for over five years.

This solution is stable. It is the most stable high-end solution in this area.

This product has eight controllers, it has special features for interconnecting on the backend, it has many front ports, and all of the components are redundant.

It is difficult to find issues with this product.

It was designed for those who don't want more than one minute of downtime a year. It's a 24/7 running product.

As you know, the HDS company is one of the main key players in the storage world and it always offers the most high-performance products, as these products are designed for large business environments, they have good scale-out and scale-up capabilities. For instance, the HDS claims that the latest one which it's named VSP 5500 have more than 21M IOPS only in 8U and 69PB of storage.

It depends on the circumstances. We choose different storage products based on the business needs and in my opinion, there is no solution that can meet all customer needs.

We use low-cost SAN storage for some needs, such as Archie Data, and in some other cases, like the core business software, high availability levels are very important so higher-level SAN storage is used.

The installation procedure it a bit difficult, because it is a high-end solution. With this type of product, the original company is interested in doing the setup for customers in the area, but because of sanctions we were not able to get support in our area. We faced many issued trying to learn to run this product.

The initial setup was done by the CE of the company, when that was complete the configuration was done in our data center.

This solution is cheaper than Dell EMC VMAX. When you are looking for a high-end solution, price matters, but availability and stability are more important than the price.

Companies are looking for stability and sustainability, and the price, but as I said, it's not as important as stability and sustainability.

I researched the internet for our customers to find the right solution for them, and I compared products in this category. In this comparison, I included:

• Dell EMC VMAX
  • HPE 3PAR F-Class Storage

I started to research details, compare, and score each feature, until coming across the Hitachi VSP Series. The number two option was the HPE XP P6500 Series.

It was challenging, and it took five to six months to persuade our manager.

What other advice do I have?

The main functions in the G series and F series are the same, but if a customer is looking for high interoperability, then they should go for the F Series.

It's an attractive solution with several special features.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Other
Senior Manager Operational Services at Orange
High performance flash storage with good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use the private cloud version.

What is most valuable?

The high performance of flash storage is especially valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

Pricing could be better because the cost is very high.

In terms of new features, I would be interested to see deduplication added in their next release.

We've been using this solution for six months.

It's very stable. As of now, we haven't had any events with the loss of storage. It is very stable.

We have one storage device for all of the patients, so it's very critical. There are more than a thousand users.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product and I would rate it as nine out of ten.

Adeniyi Oluwole - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Product Manager at Mitsumi Nigeria Limited
Reseller
Detects bugs and it is very accurate and reliable
  • "This is one of the most reliable and dependable products on the market."
  • "In the next version I would like to see additional features like artificial intelligence and an increase in the amount of data it can store."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for bug detection.

What is most valuable?

What I like about this solution is that you can ask to print the document function with the keyboard functions. You can always go back and hit the enter button, without getting any downtime. That is one of the great uses for the solution.

What needs improvement?

I think what needs to be improved is to simplify the complexities that are under storage so that it will be easier to work with Hitachi products. I would also like to see better pricing and more discounts.

I've been working with this solution for about a year.

This is one of the most reliable and dependable products on the market. It is very stable.

It's a scalable solution. I think that one of the strategies around the scalability is to allow different classified storage options. You will need to have infinite supply for an enterprise. For you to scale, it might be easier for you to do an upgrade, but then you'd have to change your computer, or you would have to change each of the classes. But it is pretty scalable in each of the classes of storage. One of our biggest customers, an enterprise customer, has a modem and he buys his storage.

The technical support is acceptable and it can fix your issues. You usually get a fast reply to your calls. The product is very good.

If you do it correctly, the initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The F series is a very accurate solution and it does what I want it to do. In the next version, I would like to see additional features like artificial intelligence and an increase in the amount of data it can store. The storage solution should be able to discover the internet force that is coming up so that you can discover them beforehand. The solution should be able to grab information from what the customer has been doing with the environment and then give the customer new solutions.

On a scale of one to ten, my rating is eight.

Storage Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Customers get one hundred percent availability and its firmware is very compatible
  • "I am happy about the storage system and availability."
  • "In the next version I would like to see more intelligence."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to monitor the use of products from other vendors. Its firmware is very compatible.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of this solution are the storage system and availability.

What needs improvement?

In the next version, I would like to see more intelligence. I would like to see backup repository, and the Hitachi storage system as the main storage system without any further applications, without any further layers. I need the data protection layer to protect the data at the right time and at the right place.

The solution is stable and highly available. With Hitachi brands, customers get one hundred percent availability on the product.

The technical support and the billing team are all winners. Dell is one brand that provides better technical support for its customers. There are many Dell customers in the U.S. and these customers have really crucial issues that need support. Whenever you call in with an issue, you can rest assured that it will be fixed.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I rate this solution an eight.

My advice to others who are trying to buy all-flash storage would be to go and take a look at the core storage products. I don't mean the hardware part, I mean the software part, in other words, the data protection layer. The storage layer is a broad layer. You have the main storage, you have the data protection of storage and you have the storage networking. All these layers matter and you will need something in the background on the data protection layer to be able to get the data at the other end.

Storage & Virtualization Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Eliminated all the management around replication and it helps us to do the recovery better and easier
  • "It's a state of the art solution in storage systems. High-availability and performance are the strongest aspects of these machines."
  • "The user experience is pretty bad in Hitachi. A lot of mandatory tasks take a long time to work through."

What is our primary use case?

This machine was being used in the DMZ area of the company. It was isolated. The external users were something around 4.5 million customers. I don't know if every one of them uses the machine, but this machine is the gateway to the website and host application.

To install and do maintenance on this machine at this scale was a one person job. It was a storage admin for this use case. If I look only at that solution, it's not a full-time job.

We increased the capacity of the solution one year after we initially bought it. Before I left my last job, one of the decisions I made was to change the solution to another platform in this environment. It was also out of warranty. They're still using this appliance, but they need to migrate out of it to another solution.

It may be a newer version of the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series or a new solution from another vendor. It depends on the product features and total cost.

It's the public sector, so everything is running on a bid process. The suppliers bid to give a better offer to win the opportunity. Hitachi came up with a better deal and pricing.

The company is opening up opportunities for vendors. The vendors that supply the solution at the lowest prices win the bidding. It's a public sector or government contract. There was special pricing in this case since it's the government sector.

How has it helped my organization?

Four years in that environment, the Hitachi GAD we used to replicate in between the primary site and the secondary site was finished. After we started using GAD, we didn't have to replicate the data anymore. It was already up to date in both types.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series eliminated all the management around replication. It helps us to do the recovery better and easier. We removed the software that was managing all the little steps in synchronizing the recovery plan.

What is most valuable?

I found the Hitachi GAD, Global Active Device feature, most valuable because it enables direct access to the same volume from different physical sites.

What needs improvement?

With Hitachi, everything that regards the user experience has a big room for improvement.

• The user experience is pretty bad in Hitachi.
  • A lot of mandatory tasks take a long time to work through.
  • Compared to other storage vendors, there is a big disadvantage to Hitachi.
  • Automation has room for improvement in Hitachi.

Something about the NetSure schedule and NetSure management would be good because in my machine everything was only manual. My staff was needed to write automation around the machine to solve the issue.

Before the snapshot itself, residing on another server was more extensive. If they can do the snapshot in the data pool, i.e. the capacity pool, it will be better for the customer and their matchup vs. the competition.

I've been using the solution more than four years.

The Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series is a very steady solution. It's a state of the art solution in storage systems.

High-availability and performance are the strongest aspects of these machines.

When you purchase the machine, you need to know what the purpose is that you buy the machine for. If you do design, it's pretty scalable for most use cases.

As a career job, I have around 45 storage machines. If I didn't have enough room in one, I choose another for use.

I used to work with their tech support. Every time I had the need for support, I got it directly from the Israeli team. I didn't have a chance to work with the global support team.

The local team is great. It was very responsive and very generous.

The previous solution was a sync-based solution storage system. It wasn't active/active and before that, we used EMC VPLEX in another environment. We tested the active/active feature benefits.

One of the main demands for this particular solution was to be active/active. At that time, the only vendors that offered an active/active machine were EMC and Hitachi.

The initial setup is not straightforward. You need to be a storage expert to install the product and work with it. It's not that simple and discouraging.

If it wasn't so complicated to install it, it would be better. Every step takes a lot of time in the system. But it's a very steady system. It works after the initial setup.

Deployment took two months before we started to migrate data. There was another month for the data migration and two months was the machine hardware install, the software updates, and resilience checks from my side.

After all the setup and the discovery of the product, we started to schedule dates for data migration and move all the relevant data subscriptions.

I was the customer. The vendor supported the installation for three months, i.e. the initial setup and checks for another month to assist the data migration.

Return-on-investment comes from satisfaction in the product. It was 90% of what I expected it to be and that is very good.

We don't have a monthly license for this product. We just got it up front. We are in the governmental sector, so it was very cheap for us.

This version on the market is priced at a much higher cost. Since we are in government, we got a discount. We grew and the purchase needed additions since the time of installation.

It was just the EMC Unity with VPLEX, i.e. two Unity VPLEX machines: the VSP 400. We required two machines to support the VSP 400. It was all about money. The bottom line.

You first need to qualify the technical requirements. Both of them qualified, so it was money related. The bottom line was whether another solution was better, so long as they met all the requirements and they were the cheapest.

If the solution is not compliant with our demands, we can't offer it to the company. Because of that, only two vendors got the chance to offer the solution. It was down to VSP and DELL/EMC Unity didn't meet the requirements.

What other advice do I have?

The Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series are real sturdy machines with high-performance capabilities. I didn't do a POC before choosing the solution, but I did go to visit several customers who already had similar solutions from the company.

I talked to them and got an impression. If you have time for POC it will be better. In the government, it is not very often that we do a POC. They're very thin and human resources didn't have time.

On a scale from one to 10, I would rate the product an eight for the management. The lack of management features on the product is very deflating.

It's very difficult to find this class of machine from other vendors. The storage system is high-availability. The performance is elite.

For the system and performance, this machine is very impressive. It's working 24 hours a day. The machine is very reliable for the user experience.

Storage Architect at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
We had experience with virtualizing behind an array and moving applications and data but this made it even better.​
  • "The first thing that attracted this model to us was the non-disruptive migration. We had a very large database application that was on older gear and needed to be migrated to these arrays. We had experience with virtualizing behind an array and moving applications and data but this made it even better."
  • "The software has always been lagging a bit compared to the newer features. It usually takes a cycle for it to catch up."

How has it helped my organization?

This gave a big boost to the performance of the application because of the Flash. It also introduced compression which makes the storage more efficient.

What needs improvement?

This product is very stable and we didn’t experience any issues.

It scales to a very large array and we haven’t encroached on its limits yet. This particular database application is growing rapidly and we have had to expand several times in the last year.

Excellent. The team is very knowledgeable about their products and how these work with other products.

The previous solution was Hitachi but it had spinning disks. We went to all Flash for the performance.

The initial setup of the non-disruptive migration was complex but we had excellent assistance from Hitachi.

The pricing we get is very competitive when compared to other vendors. Hitachi is working on their licensing model and it is improving but can be irksome when many different items are not bundled or enterprise size.

We evaluated three different solutions, products from EMC, IBM and Hitachi. The vendors provided several configurations including all Flash and hybrid configurations.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely check it out. Talk to other customers and look into the stability and reliability of Hitachi products. They are conservative and don’t market heavily but they are determined to be right and data is the most important aspect.

Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Dell Technologies, Pure Storage, and more!
Updated: October 2022