IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Graylog OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Graylog is #15 ranked solution in Log Management Software. PeerSpot users give Graylog an average rating of 8 out of 10. Graylog is most commonly compared to Elastic Security: Graylog vs Elastic Security. Graylog is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Log Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Graylog?

Graylog is purpose-built to deliver the best log collection, storage, enrichment, and analysis. Graylog is:

• Considerably faster analysis speeds.
  • More robust and easier-to-use analysis platform.
  • Simpler administration and infrastructure management.
  • Lower cost than alternatives.
  • Full-scale customer service.
  • No expensive training or tool experts required.

Graylog was previously known as Graylog2.

Graylog Customers

Blue Cross Blue Shield, eBay, Cisco, LinkedIn, SAP, King.com, Twilio, Deutsche Presse-Agentur

Graylog Video

Graylog Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Graylog pricing:
  • "We're using the Community edition."
  • "It's an open-source solution that can be used free of charge."
  • Graylog Reviews

CharlesNetshivhera - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, scalable, easy to install and maintain
    • "Graylog's search functionality, alerting functionality, user management, and dashboards are useful."
    • "Graylog can improve the index rotation as it's quite a complex solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use Graylog for developer login to assist developers and help them find issues faster, and for certain applications in production.

How has it helped my organization?

The centralized logs where one can find bugs quicker and find the line of code that is a problem has made us more efficient. The turn around time for production support is quite high when using this kind of solution.

What is most valuable?

Graylog's search functionality, alerting functionality, user management, and dashboards are useful. They also provide an easy way to create dashboards, and the interface is also quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Graylog can improve the index rotation as it's quite complicated. They need to work on that because it's quite cumbersome to manage the index rotation with all the logs. The filtering of logs before ingestion also needs a bit of work. This is because you have to write some code to avoid certain things before ingesting. As it doesn't support certain AIX versions, you need to upgrade the servers to accommodate it.
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Graylog, Splunk, Elastic and others in Log Management. Updated: June 2022.
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Graylog for about three years.

Graylog is quite stable, and the only issue is the index rotation.

Graylog is scalable and can be deployed in a clustered distributed environment.

The support from the Graylog community is helpful, but they can do better. The enterprise support doesn't really cater to open-source solutions. They only support you if you are an enterprise working on a POC. If you want to do a POC for an enterprise solution, they need assurances that you'll buy their enterprise solution.

I have used different solutions like Nagios before. These solutions are more like manual processes where logging and viewing of logs are conducted on the server. Others like ELK are difficult to use because it isn't straightforward and requires a lot of reading. You have to learn quite a lot before using it.

Graylog is quite easy to set up. As it comes with a prepackaged installation file, it's not complex to install and takes one to three days to deploy. If you have to study the documentation and then implement it, I think you can do it within a week.

All implementation was handled in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Graylog is straightforward to install and easy to maintain. It also comes with alerting. But one has to be mindful of the support and disadvantages like the index rotation. On a scale from one to ten, I give Graylog an eight.
    Systems Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Has good dashboards and alerts, but more customization is always useful

What is our primary use case?

We use it for central log management and log aggregation. We use it for non-security events.

What is most valuable?

We're using the Community edition, but I know that it has really good dashboarding and alerts.

What needs improvement?

More customization is always useful.

It has been about three years. I'm currently not using the tool myself, but my team is using it.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

We're not using the Enterprise license. We're using the Community edition, and support is not offered with it.

It was easy to set up.

We did it ourselves.

We're using the Community edition.

This decision was already made before I got to the organization.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is for small and medium organizations.

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

June 2022
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Network Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
    Good correlation and alerting capabilities, helpful community support, and easy to install
    • "I like the correlation and the alerting."
    • "I would like to see some kind of visualization included in Graylog."

What is most valuable?

I like the correlation and the alerting. If I have multiple monitoring systems and I alert Graylog, Graylog will collect them and analyze them, and issue one alert.

We are only approximately four months into production and have not explored all of the features this solution offers. So far, it has everything we wanted.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some kind of visualization included in Graylog. The report is plain, they could be improved.

I have been using Graylog for approximately five months.

We are using the latest version.

Graylog community is very good.

We are also using Zenoss.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It's an open-source solution that can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Graylog to others who are interested in using it.

At this point with the features that I have used, I would rate Graylog a ten out of ten.

Download our free Log Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Graylog, Splunk, Elastic, and more!
    Updated: June 2022