Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Fortify Application Defender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortify Application Defender is #22 ranked solution in application security solutions. PeerSpot users give Fortify Application Defender an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Fortify Application Defender is most commonly compared to SonarQube: Fortify Application Defender vs SonarQube. Fortify Application Defender is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Application Security Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Fortify Application Defender?

Micro Focus Security Fortify Application Defender is a runtime application self-protection (RASP) solution that helps you manage and mitigate risk from homegrown or third-party applications. It provides centralized visibility into application use and abuse while protecting from software vulnerability exploits and other violations in real time.

Fortify Application Defender was previously known as HPE Fortify Application Defender, Micro Focus Fortify Application Defender.

Fortify Application Defender Customers

ServiceMaster, Saltworks, SAP

Fortify Application Defender Video

Fortify Application Defender Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortify Application Defender pricing:
  • "The licensing is very complex, it's project based and can range from $10,000 to $200,000+ depending on the project type and size."
  • "The price of this solution could be less expensive."
  • Fortify Application Defender Reviews

Business Development Specialist at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Secure, versatile cyber security technology
    • "We are able to provide out customers with a secure application after development. They are no longer left wondering if they are vulnerable to different threats within the market following deployment."
    • "The licensing can be a little complex."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a local distributor for Micro Focus. We provide customers with a proof of values and we're showing them in deep dive into the main benefits of this highly technical product while trying to patch together different technologies, starting with the developing phase.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to provide out customers with a secure application after development. They are no longer left wondering if they are vulnerable to different threats within the market following deployment.

What needs improvement?

The licensing can be a little complex.

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years.

October 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Sonar, Synopsys and others in Application Security Tools. Updated: October 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very stable.

This product is scalable. You are able to add licenses depending on your department, how many developers you have, the number of the projects, etc.

There are a few hundred users in my area and we require two people for maintenance.

We handle first level support for our customers, the vendor will handle anything harder. Their support gas been great throughout the years. They are always willing to solve any issue from the commercial technical point of view.

The initial setup can vary depending on the client's use case. We have a professional service department that handles the POD. This includes installation, configuration, training, deployment, knowledge transfer and support after that if needed.

Our end users ROI should be okay for a minimum of three to five years. Even though they are not able to turn revenue with this product, they are able to Become more aware of a lot of threats and cyber security risks which allows them to reallocate some of their budget to affected areas if needed.

What other advice do I have?

It has been in the Gartner's Magic Quadrant for many years. It's a very solid technology that is nice to use on the developing site and it is secure and stable.

I would rate this product a ten out of ten.

System Quality Assurance Manager at AIS - Advanced Info Services Plc.
    Straightforward resolution information, stable, but automation could improve
    • "The information from Fortify Application Defender on how to fix and solve issues is very good compared to other solutions."
    • "The solution could improve the time it takes to scan. When comparing it to SonarQube it does it in minutes while in Fortify Application Defender it can take hours."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortify Application Defender for scanning our whole repository source code for security. We have more than 4,000 repositories in our company.

What is most valuable?

The information from Fortify Application Defender on how to fix and solve issues is very good compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve the time it takes to scan. When comparing it to SonarQube it does it in minutes while in Fortify Application Defender it can take hours.

In an upcoming release, they could improve how they apply the automation.

I have been using Fortify Application Defender for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution does not scale well because there are limitations. For example, the licensing is attached to the programmer, and it is very difficult to do it automatically queries.

The initial installation of Fortify Application Defender is more complex than the SonarQube, but it is not too difficult to do from scratch. Last year we did the installation in a new environment from scratch and we did not have problem.

The price of this solution could be less expensive.

I have evaluated SonarQube.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others. However, most companies will choose SonarQube.

I rate Fortify Application Defender a seven out of ten.

October 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Manager Technical Operations at NeuStar
    Useful default coding languages, reliable, but more coding languages needed

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Fortify Application Defender are the code packages that are default.

What needs improvement?

Fortify Application Defender could improve by supporting more code languages, such as GRAAS and Groovy.

I have been using Fortify Application Defender for approximately four years.

Fortify Application Defender is a stable solution.

The scalability of Fortify Application Defender is good.

I have not used technical support but I have some good feedback.

I have not used another similar solution to Fortify Application Defender.

What other advice do I have?

Fortify Application Defender has a few drawbacks, it has its own pros and cons, but it's a good tool to use in any industry.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Fortify Application Defender a seven out of ten.

Download our free Application Security Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Sonar, Synopsys, and more!
    Updated: October 2022