IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Carl Smith - PeerSpot reviewer
Network engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to incorporate into any sort of application and makes our company more secure
  • "Another feature is the single pane of glass management. That's important for analytics and also for troubleshooting. It means there's one place that you go to at least start the troubleshooting process."
  • "It could be a little bit more intuitive when it comes to the sign-up process. I know they send out an email, but sometimes our users get a little confused. It could be an end-user problem, but Cisco could work on that a little."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for MFA to secure our Outlook webmail and some other applications as well. We use Duo for pretty much anything that uses MFA.

We were looking for increased security. We wanted to make sure that the person who is trying to log in to our services is actually who they claim to be. We wanted to lock down our applications more and provide extra security.

We have some on-prem servers for the gateways and it's in the cloud as well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely made our company more secure. It's pretty easy to incorporate into any sort of application you want to. We also use it for single sign-on for certain applications and that has been nice. People hate passwords.

It's really great for remote workers and a hybrid workforce nowadays, for people who are trying to access their VPN or any applications from outside of the company. It helps us make sure it's someone who should be accessing those things. It does a good job.

It's definitely a factor in achieving that Zero Trust.

In a way, it helps us remediate threats more quickly. If someone is trying a brute-force attack, trying all the passwords they can, and they're not getting a response through Duo, you can see certain security threats that are happening and remediate them.

Duo has also had a big impact on employee morale. People like it. They feel that their data is more secure. Resiliency is very key to keeping people doing their jobs. Cyber security resilience has been very important for us. It used to be that security was not to be the main focus, but it's extremely important now. There are a lot of ransomware attacks and people need to be very cognizant of that. It's important to have redundant and resilient systems in place to support that.

What is most valuable?

It's nice to have that push notification with the app and it's pretty easy to use. Our users are usually pretty open to it, and it's pretty easy to onboard people.

It also seems like it's accurate, and you can add multiple devices to your account.

In addition, typically, if it detects that you're on an internal network, you can bypass the Duo portion of it. That way, people don't have to do MFA when they're on campus.

Another feature is the single pane of glass management. That's important for analytics and also for troubleshooting. It means there's one place that you go to at least start the troubleshooting process. It also helps with the user experience because you can manage all the user accounts from that one spot, including setting up new users, making adjustments, editing their preferences, et cetera.

What needs improvement?

It could be a little bit more intuitive when it comes to the sign-up process. I know they send out an email, but sometimes our users get a little confused. It could be an end-user problem, but Cisco could work on that a little.

Duo Security
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Duo Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using Duo Security for about two years.

It seems very stable. I don't think there has been any point at which people have tried to use it and it has failed.

The scalability seems fine. As long as you get the licensing to support it, you can add as many users as you'd like.

We have five or six offices locally, and a few more in different states in the US. We also have one in Shanghai, but they're doing their own thing there. But everyone in our US offices uses it, they all get enrolled. Typically, people will install the app on their phones although they don't have to.

I don't think we've had to use technical support too often, which is a good thing about the product itself.

We didn't use an MFA before Duo.

When the solution was rolled out, I wasn't with the company, but we then expanded it in different ways and I have been involved in that. In terms of the initial deployment, from what I can tell, it was relatively straightforward. And from what I've seen since, it hasn't been too hard to expand it to other services.

It's definitely a valuable product to have.

We may have evaluated other options at a surface level, but we didn't really go too deeply into them. We pretty much went with Duo out the gate.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell leaders who want to build more resilience within their organization to do it right now. It's definitely important and there are a lot of resources out there that can help them on that path. Duo helps with that.

It does what it's marketed to do.

Ryan Lloyd - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Engineer Virtualization at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and integrates well with the rest of our cloud-based Cisco ecosystem
  • "The single pane of glass management is very important and it is part of the reason we went with Duo. Anything we can do to save time for our administrators, help desk staff, and engineers, is valuable to us."
  • "I wouldn't mind seeing some options for remembering a device for a short period of time or a specific login, particularly for administrative engineering staff, as we may be logging in to four or five different services."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for two-factor authentication for end-user and administrator login. We wanted to secure our endpoints.

What is most valuable?

The single pane of glass management is very important and it is part of the reason we went with Duo. Anything we can do to save time for our administrators, help desk staff, and engineers, is valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

I wouldn't mind seeing some options for remembering a device for a short period of time or a specific login, particularly for administrative engineering staff, as we may be logging in to four or five different services. We're having to use it a lot. I understand it, it's just part of it. That's not specific to Duo. That's two-factor authentication in general.

I've been using Duo Security for about a year.

It's stable. We haven't had any downtime that I can recall or any problems with maintaining network connectivity.

Any issues we've had have been local to a specific user. Maybe the phone number was not set up right or there was some conflict as a result of somebody changing a device, but it's always been pretty straightforward to get that kind of thing resolved.

We started off with a small deployment and, in one or two steps, sent it out to everybody and it scaled fine. We didn't have to change anything in our setup.

We have about 1,200 users across 60 branches around the U.S. We occasionally have people using it internationally and we're able to handle that fine with our geographic location blocking or allowing, as the case may be. It's a fully virtualized environment. We have a lot of remote users, people who work in remote fields. As long as they have a cell signal, it works.

I have not had to deal with any support for Duo. The less I have to talk to support the better, for sure.

This is our first venture into two-factor authentication.

We didn't have a specific problem we were trying to solve when we got it. We were just trying to add more and more security. We did have regulatory requirements for two-factor authentication and that is what drove it.

The deployment of Duo Security was mainly a project done by our network and security team, but I was involved in it to some extent. I found it pretty straightforward. As enterprise-wide security solutions go, it wasn't too bad.

We got it integrated with Active Directory. There were some struggles there that I don't know the specifics of because our network team was working on that. But once everything was set up, it was pretty easy to add a new user and do whatever we wanted to.

It took a little time for our users to get used to it, but everybody took to it pretty well. The users don't really have to interact with it other than getting their push notifications. For them, it's easy. It requires minimal training. It pops up and it's all pretty self-explanatory.

It's pretty easy to use as two-factor authentication systems go. We evaluated a few others, including the Microsoft two-factor authentication, a little bit, and one other, and Duo ended up being our favorite. Part of that was because we're in that Cisco ecosystem and we were able to integrate it with our other services that are all cloud-based. It fit in pretty well for us, and it would for anybody with a similar setup.

Duo was also the least obtrusive to the user and the ease of administration through the administrative portal was a little better.

What other advice do I have?

Fortunately, we haven't had to evaluate it when it comes to helping us remediate threats more quickly, but we're confident that it will.

Regarding resilience in cyber security, two-factor is definitely a must-have. We're satisfied with it as far as that goes, in addition to it fulfilling our regulatory requirements.

For our use case, for logins, it just works.

Duo Security
August 2022
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Aerospace Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to pick out unsuccessful login attempts quickly and shut down those accounts proactively
  • "The ability for users to authenticate via phone, from any random phone number, has been very helpful for managing a distributed workforce. Using it across a distributed network for securing access to our applications is big for us."
  • "We have users who move throughout the world, and their levels of connectivity change. It can be a challenge, if someone is in Bahrain, to authenticate via Duo."

What is our primary use case?

We wanted multi-factor authentication across a variety of platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved security by enforcing strong, reliable multi-factor authentication, and it has reduced intrusions across our organization. It makes sure all the user sessions are at least a little more trustful than if we just had single-factor.

In terms of remediating threats, we are able to pick out unsuccessful login attempts pretty quickly on the Duo platform and we can shut down those accounts. It makes us more proactive. That works well.

What is most valuable?

The ability for users to authenticate via phone, from any random phone number, has been very helpful for managing a distributed workforce. Using it across a distributed network for securing access to our applications is big for us. It works very well, and we have no major complaints about the integration of any of our third-party applications.

We have a high level of confidence in the platform, especially for identifying potential logins from unexpected geolocations. The data associated with logs is very helpful for helping to make that determination.

It's very important for us that Duo Security considers all resources to be external, especially as we lead up to Zero Trust. It needs to be like that.

What needs improvement?

End-users find it more annoying than anything else. It's tough to manage user perception of the service, especially when there isn't feature parity between Mac and Windows users. There are some challenges in making that user experience the same between platforms and helping users feel the least amount of burden possible while helping to ensure the organization's security.

Network connectivity depends on where users are located. Internally, on-premises, it's not hard keeping connectivity, but we have users who move throughout the world, and their levels of connectivity change. It can be a challenge, if someone is in Bahrain, to authenticate via Duo.

I have been using Duo Security for two years.

We've had no issues with the stability of Duo. I consider it to be a stable product.

It has scaled to meet our needs. I don't know how it scales if you have 10,000 or 20,000 users, but for our organization, with fewer than 5,000 users, it's been fine.

The technical support has been adequate. They are responsive regarding support for troubleshooting tickets. We haven't had any issues that required escalation, so we've been happy with it.

Positive

We did have a previous solution. The interoperability has been improved with Duo compared to that solution.

Our physical deployment of the solution is in the continental United States, but our users are worldwide.

What other advice do I have?

I don't place too much value on any single product, since placing too much trust in one thing creates a single point of failure. This is just a single piece in a broader spectrum of security products to accomplish our actual goals.

Building resilience is nice, but there's a point of diminishing returns when it comes to doing that. Part of my job is to help our leaders understand where that diminishing return is.

The single pane of glass management is desirable, but it's like a unicorn. No single pane of glass is ever really a single pane of glass. That's something that would be nice, but it's not something I expect.

Duo is a very consistent product and flexible in how it can be deployed and has good support. It's a product we're very happy with.

Head of IT and Security at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and has useful push notifications, integrations, and mobile app
  • "The push notifications and the integrations they offer are valuable. Their mobile app is very useful. It is very easy to use."
  • "The only time I really had some negative feedback for them was about the UI of their mobile app, but they improved it in the last version. It is good on the functionality side, but their pricing model is a little bit weird. Currently, there is no price advantage in signing up for yearly contracts. If you are on a monthly term or a yearly contract, you basically pay the same price, and that is very unusual. Normally, there is a discount when someone signs up for the 12-month system."

What is our primary use case?

Duo Security provides multi-factor authentication for anything that requires multi-factor authentication. It could be our internal corporate services, such as a single sign-on portal, or applications, such as Google Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very easy for users to enroll. There are a lot of insights that we get from using the app on devices that people use to authenticate.

What is most valuable?

The push notifications and the integrations they offer are valuable. Their mobile app is very useful. It is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The only time I really had some negative feedback for them was about the UI of their mobile app, but they improved it in the last version. There was no way to (re)name 3rd party OTP accounts so it got confusing when multiple ones were existing. In addition, each account took a lot of space on the screen, they condensed it in the new version to make it easier for people that have a lot of accounts added. Duo has a beta program and actively solicits and listens to feedback which personally I think is great.

It is good on the functionality side, but their pricing model is a little bit weird. Currently, there is no price advantage in signing up for yearly contracts. If you are on a monthly term or a yearly contract, you basically pay the same price, and that is very unusual. Normally, there is a discount when someone signs up for the 12-month system.

I have been using this solution probably since 2014. In this company, we have been using it for two years in total.

It is stable. Over the last six or seven years, I didn't have any issues where something wasn't working.

The maximum number of users that I have had is around 600, and I haven't found any issues there. In my current organization, every employee is using this solution. We have 250 employees.

I have not interacted with them. I never had to open a support case.

We didn't have anything in place.

It is pretty straightforward. I just need to log in to an account and integrate systems that should be using Duo Security. That's basically it. It probably took me an hour to roll out the accounts.

IT support helps users if they run into problems with the application, but that's about it. There is no separate team for its maintenance and deployment. There are a lot of service options for our users. They don't even need to contact IT support. On a new phone, they can even do it on their own.

It has provided ROI.

Their pricing model is a little bit weird. Currently, there is no price advantage in signing up for yearly contracts. There are no additional costs to the standard licensing costs.

We looked briefly at Okta Verify. It is the Verify app from Okta to use a single sign-on provider. It had the same price but far less functionality. It was a no-brainer to just go with Duo Security.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to look at the integrations that are available and see if they can roll it out to as many applications as they can. Encourage users to use Duo Push versus the six-digit pin code that the applicant generates.

I would rate Duo Security a nine out of ten.

Yasser Alghamdi - PeerSpot reviewer
CDC director at Stc
Supports hybrid work, is easy to implement, and can be spread across all applications
  • "It has definitely reduced embedding. We found a lot of problems with attackers being able to compromise accounts. Now, when they try to access accounts, they are not able to do so because there is an added layer of protection. Once we know that a username and password are compromised, we just reset the password to protect the company."
  • "Duo Security should have more customized use cases. For example, if a client needs to have more customization, it would be better to connect directly with Duo's R&D to try to discuss the issues together in order to add customizations."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for two-factor authentication so that we're not just relying on the username and password but also on two-factor authentication, whether it's through SMS or through the application.

People use very weak passwords, so it's very easy for attackers to get in and compromise accounts. This is why we need two-factor authentication and why we are with Duo Security. It helps us to not only rely on the username and password but also implement another layer of protection. Attackers are not going to be able to compromise accounts because of the two-factor authentication.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely reduced embedding. We found a lot of problems with attackers being able to compromise accounts. Now, when they try to access accounts, they are not able to do so because there is an added layer of protection. Once we know that a username and password are compromised, we just reset the password to protect the company.

What is most valuable?

I like the two-factor authentication, which gives another layer of protection.

It's very important for our organization that this solution considers all resources to be external. Our company has thousands of people who access from outside, and it's hard for us to know which one is legitimate and which one is illegitimate. Having two-factor authentication with Duo helps us to implement a second layer of authentication so that we know for certain that the people who are accessing accounts are legitimate.

It's a great solution for securing access to the applications and network because we can integrate the solution with all types of applications. The system has the ability to integrate customized applications built in-house and those that were brought in from outside. It integrates with network access as well, such as when you want to access a different node. It has multiple ways to authenticate applications, network access, etc., which helps us a lot to spread the solution across all our assets.

That the solution helps support hybrid work is very important to our organization because people access accounts from everywhere. Duo Security gives us the second layer of protection.

The solution provides a single pane of glass management to help us monitor all of the access.

Duo Security helped us remediate threats more quickly.

What needs improvement?

It is not easy to maintain network connectivity.

I've been using this solution for the last two years.

The stability is definitely good.

The scalability is great. The solution is deployed in multiple locations, and we have around 30,000 people.

The technical support is good. They are helping us, and I would give them an eight out of ten.

Positive

We switched to Duo Security because it's easier to implement and can be spread across all the applications.

We have definitely seen an ROI from a protection perspective. It helped us a lot to protect against compromised accounts.

Price-wise, it's not cheap, but it's not expensive at all either. It's in the middle.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Duo Security at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Mark Sparling - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Engineer at FirstLight
Reseller
Easy for our customers to use and works well with other Cisco products
  • "We get fewer threats to remediate due to the two-factor authentication, which does not allow as many threats through."
  • "Sometimes, it's a little harder for customers to adopt."

What is our primary use case?

A lot of our use cases were for customers to get their cyber insurance renewed. It was a requirement and they had to scramble to figure out a way to get multi-factor authentication in place.

How has it helped my organization?

It's made things easier for our customers with all the different ways to sign in. It's pretty painless once they get used to it. Once customers understand it, it checks all the boxes for them. It's easy for them to use. It also works with a lot of Cisco's other products.

What is most valuable?

• The easiest feature is the token or the app on your phone that gives you the code to log in.
  • It provides a single pane of glass for management and that helps optimize the user experience.
  • We get fewer threats to remediate due to the two-factor authentication, which does not allow as many threats through.
  • It does a good job of establishing trust for every access request. It checks all the boxes I need and, as a reseller, it makes it easy for me to sell. I'm happy with it.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, it's a little harder for customers to adopt.

Also, when it comes to the single pane of glass for management, there are some mixed reviews and opinions that say there could be some other options. But those are very unique cases.

The majority of my customers are really good with just the two-factor authentication and don't really take advantage of a lot of the extra bells and whistles that it has. Getting them to adopt more of those features, versus asking for anything new, would probably be where my first step would be.

I have been using Duo Security for about a year and a half.

The stability is good. I've never had an issue with it crashing or having bugs.

I've never had anything outgrow it. That's for sure. You just add licenses.

Tech support has been great. I've only had to open two cases and they've been very helpful and made it straightforward.

Positive

I've been involved in the deployment of Duo Security a few times and the documentation makes it straightforward.

Overall, the pricing is fair. Customers can wrap it into their Enterprise Agreement, making it easier for them to solve their issues.

We're a Cisco partner, so once the two-factor requirement kicked in and became mandatory for our customers' cyber insurance, we just gravitated right to the Cisco solution.

The proofs of value that we've done are really what sells it. You put it in, get them using it, and then you just buy the license and you don't have to go back.

What other advice do I have?

Employees start off saying, "This is another thing we have to do," but once they get it set up the way they like it, it's very easy. And if anybody gets locked out, we get an email and it's easy to unlock. If the unions were able to adopt it, anybody can.

Overall, it meets all my needs, including price point, and I've been very happy with it.

Anderson Rodriguez - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 201-500 employees
The single-pane-of-glass management is a time and resource saver
  • "It provides single-pane-of-glass management, which is pretty easy and straightforward. Because we manage multiple access tiers, it allows us to essentially manage everything from one viewpoint and not have many viewpoints for the same product. This is important because it is a time and resource saver. It also saves us money."
  • "For the back-end, there could be a few more security features applied."

What is our primary use case?

Essentially, we use it as a two-factor authentication for our users when they are trying to log into the corporate network or another dev network that we have.

How has it helped my organization?

Overall, it provides functionality and security with the two-factor authentication. We can ensure whomever is logging in isn't someone else who might be sharing a username or password.

It is a good source of security as far as ensuring that there are no rogue agents attempting to access the network. Duo has enabled us to mitigate rogue access requests to our network.

With everything that went on over the past three years, we can authenticate through the VPN, or anywhere that you are at, giving our workers the ability to work hybridly and tackle day-to-day jobs without having to come into the office.

Our workers know what they are doing is secure. They don't have to worry about buying other equipment and we don't have to worry about supplying other equipment. We can just use Duo to facilitate, making it easier to do their day-to-day jobs.

What is most valuable?

The ability to work online and offline with two-factor authentication is the best feature. Usually, with products, you have two different tokens. For this product, there is just one.

It is a good product to assess the access. Overall, it has a timely response as far as when you need to click. It is very interactive. It is not like you have three seconds, then it is gone. It gives you the time to do it.

It provides single-pane-of-glass management, which is pretty easy and straightforward. Because we manage multiple access tiers, it allows us to essentially manage everything from one viewpoint and not have many viewpoints for the same product. This is important because it is a time and resource saver. It also saves us money.

The single-pane-of-glass management user experience is pretty good. It is one of the best ones that I have worked with so far.

What needs improvement?

The biggest challenge is integrating it into all our end user utilities. We use it for other networks, not just our personal network. So, the challenge is just integrating it across the board.

There is not much improvement as far as the front-facing part of it. For the back-end, there could be a few more security features applied. Obviously, as they grow, it will get better.

I have been using it for about seven months.

The stability works well with what we have, and we have a big Cisco infrastructure. It is pretty seamless for us.

Maintaining network connectivity with Duo is pretty easy. The timeout isn't too bad. It obviously depends on your security thresholds, but it is pretty easy.

It is pretty scalable. We have run it through its paces.

I haven't had to work with their technical support division. I am guessing it is good since I haven't had to deal too much with them.

This is the first time that I have worked in a VPN environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it about a nine out of 10 because nothing is perfect.

Technical Specialities at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Hybrid architecture integration make this product useful but the dashboard needs improvement
  • "It is a good solution for hybrid environments and VPN."
  • "The dashboard needs to be improved."
  • "Certain customers can not use this product because it is cloud-based."

What is our primary use case?

In my job, we are using the 365 cloud service and there is a VPN solution. We are providing solutions to other enterprise-level customers, like banks. We do not require much cloud-based security because many clients need to have solutions on-premises. We already use RSA (Rivest, Shamir, and Adelman data security).

We wanted to try to add some other cloud security options for the VPN and so we tried this product.

What is most valuable?

I only tested Duo Security with FortiGate. Due to COVID, I have not had the time to do broader testing with other products and services. Because of limited testing, I do not know about what will be most valuable in this product when it is used in different situations over time, but Duo is a cloud-based product and it is a good product to maintain the security for the VPN.

What needs improvement?

I think that the dashboard needs to be improved.

Duo Security is a cloud-based product. Most of the security technicians in India that we work with want a security product in-house for their main data center security solution. Because it is possible to integrate Duo Security with cloud-based services, it is good for use with various customers and hybrid architecture. Other features are good, but the only thing is because of compliance, certain customers can not use it as a solution. This is due to compliance with regulations for lots of customers like banks and financial sectors who can not go with cloud products.

I have some experience with the product but have not been using it for a long time. We are mostly involving it in doing evaluations with it at this time.

I have not yet had to contact the company's technical support so I do not know much about it.

It is a simple product to install. There is not really any complex configuration. In that way, it is easy to use.

We did not need to use an integrator, consultant, or reseller for deployment. I did it by myself.

I have not yet needed to purchase the product yet as we are just in the stages of trying it out. There are a certain number of licenses we can use for free during this period. I do not know about the pricing and I am not doing the financial analysis so do not know about the pricing. Other teams will take care of this.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Duo Security as a six-point-five. If I have to choose a whole number it is more of a six.

I have not tested all the features extensively, so I do not know how they scale. I work on generic RSA products, so I know about all the features.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Duo Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022