Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Dell PowerProtect Data Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell PowerProtect Data Manager is #8 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software and #40 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Dell PowerProtect Data Manager an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Dell PowerProtect Data Manager is most commonly compared to Dell Avamar: Dell PowerProtect Data Manager vs Dell Avamar. Dell PowerProtect Data Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Dell PowerProtect Data Manager?

PowerProtect Data Manager offers efficient data protection capabilities leveraging the latest evolution of Dell trusted protection storage architecture.

With operational simplicity, agility and flexibility at its core, PowerProtect Data Manager enables the protection, management and recovery of data in on-premises, virtualized and cloud deployments, including protection of in-cloud workloads. You can also protect cloud-native workloads across multiple public clouds via our integrated SaaS based PowerProtect Cloud Snapshot Manager.

Modernize how you protect your VMware virtual machines using Transparent Snapshots. Transparent Snapshots simplifies VM image backups for near-zero impact to your VMs or VM resources – and it works with any VMware supported storage. Transparent Snapshots innovation increases backup performance, lowers costs and simplifies management and reduces the risk of data loss.

Streamline data protection directly for applications or Kubernetes containers to Dell PowerProtect appliances and reduce application resource constraints.

Increase business resiliency with PowerProtect Cyber Recovery capabilities to rapidly recover from cyber incidents.

Modular design allows agile delivery of new features and updates. Rapidly evolve to meet future IT demands.

• Software defined: Provide flexible data protection and compliance across applications and cloud-native IT environments
  • Multi-cloud optimized: Extend protection to the cloud with backup to cloud, backup in-cloud, long term retention and cloud disaster recovery
  • Self-service: Backup and restore directly from native applications
  • Cloud-Based Monitoring and Analytics: Telemetry, machine learning and predictive analytics to proactively take action and speed time to resolution

Reviews from Real Users

“We keep an eye on the future, and we are confident that PowerProtect Data Manager and PowerProtect DD series appliances will support our transformation project. Both products are continuously evolving and will cover our future needs, including using the cloud for data protection.” – Dimitris Mavromichalis, IT Deputy Manager at National Bank of Greece

“PowerProtect Data Manager combined with PowerProtect appliances – that’s cutting edge. That’s world leading as far as we’re concerned.” – Drew Hills, Infrastructure Analyst at USC Australia

““Most of my wish list came true with the PowerProtect Data Manager plugin for vSphere, which provides perfect integration with vCenter.” – Dave Chapman, Senior Technician at PSC Publishing

Dell PowerProtect Data Manager was previously known as PowerProtect, Dell EMC PowerProtect.

Dell PowerProtect Data Manager Customers

National Bank of Greece, USC Australia, PCS Publishing, Dell Digital IT, Rushmore Electric, Melanson Health, Arrow Electronics

Dell PowerProtect Data Manager Video

Archived Dell PowerProtect Data Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

IT Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
The deduplication helps to control the overhead

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for backup and deduplication.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication is the most valuable feature because it helps to control the overhead.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. The compression ratio should be improved as well as the efficiency.

I have been using PowerProtect for about two years.

Backup and Recovery Software
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a good tool. We don't have any major problems with it. It has good documentation to figure out how to run it.

It is easy to scale within the scope of the applications we have.

We haven't needed to contacted customer support because there is good documentation online.

As long as there is support for how to use it, nothing is complex. The time it takes to deploy depends on the environment and who handles it. The average time it takes to deploy is around a day.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I would recommend it. There is nothing that needs improvement at the moment. So far all of the features have been good.

CEO/co-founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
The ratio of deduplication is very high and it has good performance
  • "I would say flexibility is the most important feature of the product. The performance and speed are the best on the market."
  • "As a new product, there are some things that still need to improve a bit as it matures."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product is for two things. The backup & recovery and deduplication features are most frequently what I use this solution for.

What is most valuable?

I would say flexibility is the most important feature of the product. With this product, you can get data from most operating systems on the first attempt because NetWorker as a part of PowerProtect is efficient and is maybe the fastest backup software that I know of. The performance of it is very good. The ratio of deduplication is very high — the highest, probably, on the market. It is quite easy-to-use, although you need to have some experience with the software before it really seems easy. If you have some experience with software, you will have no problem getting into the deeper levels of the graphic user interface to explore and use some of the more useful hidden features. At that point, it is no problem to navigate because you already know what you are looking for.

What needs improvement?

The parts of the solution that can be improved most seem to me to be the integration with the tape libraries. I know that is not common use because nowadays most companies want to give up on using tapes for what they think are other, better solutions. To them, tapes are not modern or fashionable or something. The integration with tape libraries is included in this new PowerProtect product, but you need an extra virtual machine — probably some extra server — next to this solution to manage the tape library. EMC had some idea before when they were distributing Avamar Software and Appliances that tapes were passee and they said to the market that no one should use tape anymore. With that, they eliminated the option from the product. Now we can see that in the market tape is still used. There are not any drawbacks to using tape because tape, even now, is the most versatile medium on which to store data.

An enhancement I would like to see is in the configuration of the product. They have resources in this product that can be used in different ways to make the user experience better. It seems to me that if Dell EMC could combine this into one good product, then they should do it because then there is not any reason to develop more than one backup software product. It does not make sense to invest in the development of two or three. Because there are different purposes, they have chosen to create different backup software packages especially for endpoints and a separate one built for the data centers. Instead, it would be more powerful and efficient if they could combine the two solutions into one solution. For example, Commvault does something like this.

If they combined the products, then you could have one pane-of-glass on a screen and you can manage the whole entire organization. In this PowerProtect, there is something like that, but you know and can tell that you have two distinct products. It is one graphical user interface, but below this, you are interacting with it as if there are two different products (Networker and Avamar) and they are quite different if you compared them one-to-one. I would recommend Dell EMC take the extra step to combine it into one product. It would be better for them and the users.

Additional features might be something to add support for Docker/Linux Container systems. This would be something like having virtualization by container. Currently, the solution is not able to back up from Docker containers. I am not sure, but maybe it is possible to put some type of agent into the Docker container to make it possible to back up the whole machine from outside. This is a problem and they could improve it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do have one customer who uses PowerProtect and they had a problem with this type of situation. It was an Oracle database and the databases were containerized. This is one thing that I know about right now that seems to me could be improved in the design and made smarter.

I have had experience with this PowerProtect product for a few years really. PowerProtect is really just a newer version of an older product called NetWorker. PowerProtect has been out for less than one year because it was just announced in 2019. But I have experience with the components of EMC products for a longer amount of time. With NetWorker, the last version I used was 18.2. PowerProtect has different numbering.

PowerProtect is stable.

It is easy to scale because all you need is to do is add the license. You can change the setup however you want. It is not any problem. They have a policy and process for this where it works quite smoothly.

In our installation, I would say we have about 50 licenses. It is counted by terabytes. You are buying capacity with their pricing model and you will have all the licenses included with that.

The experience with customer support depends on your location and how you approach it. In Poland, we have support, but we do not have so much. If you have some connections with some guys who are high-level support deeply hidden in the company — guys from the USA or from the UK who you can contact — getting good support is not any problem. You can contact them to get some valuable information quickly to solve some problem or some issue that would take a long time going through the standard path through support. Stronger regional support in Poland would be better for users here.

The initial setup is straightforward because if you buy the software and the hardware solution together it is essentially ready to go an instant after it is installed. This is not a complete configuration, of course, but the configuration may take just a few hours. I would say hours, not weeks or months. If, for example, if you would like to connect to some systems where you want to get your data, then you need to configure that in the system. Overall, it depends on how big of an environment you have. But you should be selecting what you want to backup and how. You need to know what you want it to do for you beforehand as a solution, and then it is not so hard to do.

The licensing costs and pricing model are based on capacity and the license is easy to upgrade.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is simply that I would recommend the product.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Dell EMC PowerProtect as a nine.

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Veeam Software, Commvault, and more!
Updated: September 2022