Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Dell PowerConnect Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell PowerConnect Switches is #5 ranked solution in top Data Center Networking tools and #8 ranked solution in top LAN Switching tools. PeerSpot users give Dell PowerConnect Switches an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Dell PowerConnect Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Catalyst Switches: Dell PowerConnect Switches vs Cisco Catalyst Switches. Dell PowerConnect Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 54% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the LAN Switching Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Dell PowerConnect Switches?
PowerConnect Switches family offers a set of flexible, manageable and comprehensive switch solutions supporting up to 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) and optimized Internet iSCSI (iSCSI) performance with Dell Storage solutions, ideal for enterprise and campus LAN environments alike.

Dell PowerConnect Switches was previously known as PowerConnect Switches.

Dell PowerConnect Switches Customers
Amerijet Holdings Inc., CGD Securities, MavenWire, Tulane University
Dell PowerConnect Switches Video

Dell PowerConnect Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell PowerConnect Switches pricing:
  • "Pricing for Dell PowerConnect Switches is quite competitive compared to Cisco and HP pricing. Dell has cheaper pricing and the company is trying to push for sales for its switching infrastructure because right now, the current market is dominated by Cisco. In the US market, there's Cisco, HP, Juniper, and Arista which you can buy for data center switching meant for different kinds of enterprises and ISPs. Dell PowerConnect Switches, on the other hand, is a product for people who need smaller setups or individual switches, especially those looking for a cheaper product and basic switching, though you can also buy a complete suite packaged with the switches."
  • "Dell PowerConnect switches are cheaper than Cisco switches. Cisco's higher capacity switches (100 or 200 gigs) are super-expensive. With the higher capacity, the price of the switches and the price of the architecture go high. Dell is cheaper and modular. So, I don't need to invest 100% upfront. I can invest as I progress. That is an option because the chassis will not be populated with all the pluggables. I have a choice because it is modular. I can go for 25 gigs today, and after four months, I can go for 100 gigs, and after that, I can go for 200 gigs. I have a choice when it is not a fixed switch."
  • "If you want to purchase a new Dell PowerConnect Switch, you will pay up to $1,600, but I bought them used. I bought the four Dell PowerConnect Switches that I used for $1,000."
  • "Its price is okay. Sometimes, it is lower than a Cisco solution."
  • "Cheaper than its competitors"
  • "The price of these switches is okay."
  • Dell PowerConnect Switches Reviews

Syed Ali Wajahat - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Solution Architect at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Reliable, easy to set up, and has good throughput, but lacks SD-WAN support, and its knowledge base and technical support need improvement
    • "The most valuable feature of Dell PowerConnect Switches for me is the throughput. I also like that the product has more compatibility with Dell infrastructure, especially with EMC and new generation Dell servers. Dell PowerConnect Switches can also easily integrate with Dell servers, and this is another pro."
    • "What's lacking in Dell PowerConnect Switches is SD-WAN integration, and this is what needs to be improved in it. All enterprises now move towards SD-WAN infrastructure, and because Dell PowerConnect Switches don't currently support SD-WAN, the product would be replaced, considered a secondary switch, or linked up to a different switch. Integration or support for SD-WAN is what I'd like to see in the next version of Dell PowerConnect Switches."

What is our primary use case?

My main use case for Dell PowerConnect Switches is as a data center switch, but only for specific servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Dell PowerConnect Switches for me is the throughput. I also like that the product has more compatibility with Dell infrastructure, especially with EMC and new generation Dell servers. Dell PowerConnect Switches can also easily integrate with Dell servers, and this is another pro.

What needs improvement?

What's lacking in Dell PowerConnect Switches is SD-WAN integration, and this is what needs to be improved in it.

All enterprises now move towards SD-WAN infrastructure, and because Dell PowerConnect Switches don't currently support SD-WAN, the product would be replaced, considered a secondary switch, or linked up to a different switch. Integration or support for SD-WAN is what I'd like to see in the next version of Dell PowerConnect Switches.

My experience with Dell PowerConnect Switches is three to four years.

LAN Switching
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Cisco, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in LAN Switching. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Dell PowerConnect Switches is a product that's quite stable.

I find Dell PowerConnect Switches scalable.

The technical support for Dell PowerConnect Switches isn't comparable with Cisco, Dell, and other major vendors. Dell support is improving, and it's good, not bad, but it's not comparable to Cisco support as the Cisco team is more knowledgeable and Cisco has a knowledgebase that's more easily available and reachable online. While in general, Dell products and systems has a knowledgebase that's still lacking.

If I were to rate the support for Dell PowerConnect Switches, I'd give a rating of two out of five.

Setting up Dell PowerConnect Switches is quite easy. On a scale of one to five, with one being difficult and five being easy, my rating for the initial setup of the product is four.

If you buy Dell PowerConnect Switches as a bundle with computers and the rest of the infrastructure, it's a good setup and you'll get value from your investment or ROI from the product.

Pricing for Dell PowerConnect Switches is quite competitive compared to Cisco and HP pricing. Dell has cheaper pricing and the company is trying to push for sales for its switching infrastructure because right now, the current market is dominated by Cisco.

In the US market, there's Cisco, HP, Juniper, and Arista which you can buy for data center switching meant for different kinds of enterprises and ISPs. Dell PowerConnect Switches, on the other hand, is a product for people who need smaller setups or individual switches, especially those looking for a cheaper product and basic switching, though you can also buy a complete suite packaged with the switches.

I have one customer that has a VxRail setup, a computer, an LDN platform, then Dell PowerConnect Switches. That customer has a complete rack, for example, four racks, and on top of the racks are Cisco switches, with the Dell switches linked up to the Cisco switches, rather than integrating the full environment with Dell. There's only a partial setup for the Dell PowerConnect Switches, then the rest of the environment has Cisco switches set up.

Many customers focus on Cisco or Arista gear, but smaller organizations or anybody looking for a smaller setup would find Dell competitive, easy to pitch, and easy to sell.

I evaluated Cisco, HP, and Arista products.

In comparison, Dell PowerConnect Switches provide normal switching or just the basic switching and routing protocols required for DC or campus area network infrastructure, while Cisco and HP have industry-standard and advanced protocols such as EVPN, IRS, clustering, VPC, virtual channels, etc., which are missing in Dell PowerConnect Switches. Even Arista has a good switching infrastructure for data centers.

Dell PowerConnect Switches is quite simple to operate, but if you compare it with Cisco, Arista, or HP, the switching infrastructure of Dell is inferior, and the main challenge is that it's missing industry-standard or advanced switching protocols.

The reason many people still buy Dell PowerConnect Switches, particularly the big organizations, is because of the Dell infrastructure. For example, if you buy the Dell rack solution "VxRail", then you have NSX and a complete Dell suite with storage, you'll want to have  Dell PowerConnect Switches, so mostly, the switches from Dell work perfectly because they're part of a bundle of Dell products.

What other advice do I have?

I've been working with Dell PowerConnect Switches.

I would 100% recommend Dell PowerConnect Switches if you have a Dell environment and Dell infrastructure for more compatibility.

I'm rating Dell PowerConnect Switches seven out of ten. The product is fine in terms of reliability. It's just that its knowledge base is lacking and its technology also needs improvement versus other solutions in the market, so many people don't consider Dell PowerConnect Switches as primary switches.

I'm an integrator of Dell PowerConnect Switches.

Hasan Haseeb - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network Engineer at accrets
    Reseller
    Excellent support, good pricing, and easy setup
    • "Their support has been excellent, and it has been quite stable and easy to set up."
    • "I expect it to be a zero-touch or a plug-and-play device. To some extent, it is, but we need to know the architecture, and we need to know what exactly we are doing. It is not so easy to implement. It depends on what exactly we are doing and it is still not a plug-and-play or zero-touch device. In the upcoming version, they can make it zero-touch, where we can just power it on and start using it. They can have some templates for different scenarios, such as when you are using it for the data center or adding it to your existing infrastructure."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller for Dell. We wanted to evaluate the product to see if it suits some of the customer requirements. If it does, we will craft it in the form of a solution, and we will sell it to customers. So, we are still evaluating it.

It is currently in our testing environment. We wanted to use spine-leaf architecture, and that's the reason we are using this product. We are doing a proof of concept for the spine-leaf architecture, and we are using Dell switches for that.

We are not using OS10; we are using SONiC.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I expect it to be a zero-touch or a plug-and-play device. To some extent, it is, but we need to know the architecture, and we need to know what exactly we are doing. It is not so easy to implement. It depends on what exactly we are doing and it is still not a plug-and-play or zero-touch device. In the upcoming version, they can make it zero-touch, where we can just power it on and start using it. They can have some templates for different scenarios, such as when you are using it for the data center or adding it to your existing infrastructure.

We started making use of Dell switches in December of last year. So, it has been less than a year.

It is quite stable.

Scalability is the reason why we are going for spine-leaf architecture. This is a PoC environment. So, we want to scale. We want to replicate the same thing 100 times or 200 times, and we should be able to scale to that extent.

Users-wise, currently, it is for our internal users. There are not many users.

Their support is excellent. We are also using Dell Server. The entire architecture is Dell, so the support is good. I would rate them a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have also worked with Cisco switches. There were so many gaps, and we are still trying to cover the gaps. We are very well-versed with Cisco to monitor everything. We were not able to initially monitor with Dell, but now, we are able to monitor. So, monitoring is one aspect. We are looking into auto-deployment. It is available in higher-end Cisco switches but not on all switches. We are still exploring this feature.

The pricing of Dell PowerConnect switches is much less than Cisco switches. Cisco switches are super-expensive.

It is quite straightforward. We are using a network operating system (NOS), so it is quite straightforward.

Dell PowerConnect switches are cheaper than Cisco switches. Cisco's higher capacity switches (100 or 200 gigs) are super-expensive. With the higher capacity, the price of the switches and the price of the architecture go high. Dell is cheaper and modular. So, I don't need to invest 100% upfront. I can invest as I progress. That is an option because the chassis will not be populated with all the pluggables. I have a choice because it is modular. I can go for 25 gigs today, and after four months, I can go for 100 gigs, and after that, I can go for 200 gigs. I have a choice when it is not a fixed switch.

What other advice do I have?

I'm very lucky to have support from Dell. I also have experience in implementing OS10. If you want to use Dell from scratch, you should watch some videos and understand the limitations. There is a support matrix, and you should go through the support matrix because not everything is open-open. So, compatibility can be an issue. You should get in touch with the Dell support team. They have some use cases, and one of the use cases could be similar to yours and match the requirements. Otherwise, it could end up in a mess.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: partner/reseller
    LAN Switching
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Consultant & Administrator at ETCOM
    Good support, highly descriptive documentation, and useful power over Ethernet
    • "Dell PowerConnect Switches are very easy to configure with the GUI. Dell supports the solution even though it has been discontinued."
    • "The CLI for Dell PowerConnect Switches is sometimes confusing, especially with the LAN, but for the GUI it is simple."

What is our primary use case?

Dell PowerConnect Switches is used as the backbone for my network, which is a high-performance computing network.

What is most valuable?

Dell has done a good job in the PowerConnect series and the one I have Power over Ethernet. If I have a remote device that needs power, I can perform the switch without having to stretch for cables.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Dell PowerConnect Switches for approximately two years.

The stability of Dell PowerConnect Switches is very good.

Dell PowerConnect Switches can scale very well.

I didn't have any problem with the technical support. Dell PowerConnect Switches manuals are very descriptive. It's more descriptive than any other manual that I've seen.

When doing the implementation I don't stack Dell PowerConnect Switches up because my systems are dispersed from each other. However, they are very nice for stacking, though the cables are sometimes short. If you want to stack them up in the same rack, some of the cables might be short.

If you want to purchase a new Dell PowerConnect Switch, you will pay up to $1,600, but I bought them used. I bought the four Dell PowerConnect Switches that I used for $1,000.

If you consider the density of the switch, which has 48 ports with Power over Ethernet, the overall cost is low.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell PowerConnect Switches a nine out of ten.

Director of operations and projects at SERTEI Soluciones Informáticas
    Good throughout, compatibility, price, and stability
    • "Its throughout and compatibility are the most valuable."
    • "There should be more port options in this switch. Currently, it has 24 or 48 ports. However, some of our customers require only 8 ports, but I have to put a switch with 24 ports. They should provide smaller solutions and complimentary access point for companies like ours with a low quantity of work. The main issue with this product is branding. They should improve their branding and promote their brand more in Mexico. Customers are more aware of brands like Cisco as compared to Dell."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in various environments for different customers.

What is most valuable?

Its throughout and compatibility are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

There should be more port options in this switch. Currently, it has 24 or 48 ports. However, some of our customers require only 8 ports, but I have to put a switch with 24 ports. They should provide smaller solutions and complimentary access point for companies like ours with a low quantity of work.

The main issue with this product is branding. They should improve their branding and promote their brand more in Mexico. Customers are more aware of brands like Cisco as compared to Dell.

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

It has good stability. I am happy with its stability.

It is expensive to scale. Our clients are medium and large organizations.

Their technical support is good. Sometimes, there is a delay in the replacement of the parts, but they are generally good. Their documentation is also generally fine.

The initial setup depends on the environment. Sometimes, I need the inter-VLAN or layer 3 feature, which can be complex. In some of the modes, it is plug and play.

Its price is okay. Sometimes, it is lower than a Cisco solution.

We evaluated Cisco, HP, Aruba, and Brocade. In most cases, the clients decide based on the brand and the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell PowerConnect Switches an eight out of ten.

System Administrator at a media company with 51-200 employees
    Multitasking tool undermined by difficult configuration
    • "The most valuable feature is its ability to multitask."
    • "An area for improvement would be that it's very hard to configure if you're not familiar with the UI or CLI of the product. The UI itself could also be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use cases of this solution are for wireless, routing, and filtering. For example, we use one as an edge router for our DMZ, so people from outside can reach several DMZs from our enterprise organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ability to multitask.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for ten to twelve years.

The stability of this product is ok.

This solution is fairly scalable, though it is limited by the size of your CPU.

Technical support tends to give conflicting advice on how to configure the product.

I previously used Cisco ACI and Cisco Wireless but switched because of their pricing.

The initial setup was very complex.

I implemented this solution myself.

This product is fairly cheap compared to its competitors, and there are no additional costs.

I evaluated Cisco, Meraki, Ruckus, and SonicWall.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product, and it can be used lightly, but you have to understand how it works before implementing it. I would give this product a score of seven out of ten.

IT Senior Executive at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
    Unreliable and error prone, but they can be configured in a multi-vendor environment
    • "We have these switches installed in an environment with hardware from many other vendors, and so far, so good."
    • "Their hardware is not reliable, it's faulty."

What is our primary use case?

We use these switches in our pharmaceutical company, which has been running for more than twenty years, since 1984.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Their hardware is not reliable, it's faulty. After three years of use, something goes wrong with the switches and they need replacing.

It's prone to be faulty. We expect it when we deploy them out of the box. We expect that this will be corrected and they will be more reliable in the near future. Our hope is that it would be close to the stability of Cisco and Nortel.

I have been using Dell PowerConnect Switches for three years.

In our experience, the hardware in Dell switches is not stable.

We have deployed more than 150 mixed brand switches in our office.

We use a mixture of brands. Lately, we have purchased Dell products.

Cisco and Nortel are very stable. We have been using some switches for more than ten years. When they do have issues, we just restart and everything comes back to normal.

After trying Dell switches, we will be looking to explore other options.

What other advice do I have?

I have been a senior executive for more than 15 years.

I would rate Dell PowerConnect Switches a five out of ten.

Network Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Impressive stability and straightforward to set up, but the configuration should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a product reseller and the Dell PowerConnect Switches are one of the solutions that we implement for our clients. They are used for connecting servers, hosts, PCs, and other devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

The configuration should be improved. For example, the configuration on a Cisco switch is more logical than it is with Dell.

I have been working with these switch for between four and five years.

This is a stable product and I have not experienced any bugs.

I have contacted Dell technical support in the past, although it was in regards to a server and client, rather than for a problem with a switch. In most cases, Dell gives support-related problems to a subsidiary. The problem is that not all of the subsidiaries are professional.

Overall, I was satisfied with them.

I have also worked with Cisco switches. I took the CCNA course and recognize the difference between Cisco and Dell switches.

The initial setup was not complex.

The price of these switches is okay.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend for end-users.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Rodrigo Pavao - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infrastructure Architect at Hardlink
    Reseller
    Easy to use and set up with great technical support
    • "It's easy to set up. We can put it in production in a couple of minutes."
    • "I can't think of what we would want in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in our data center.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to set up. We can put it in production in a couple of minutes.

It has excellent technical support.

It is very scalable.

The solution is stable and reliable.

The product is very affordable.

What needs improvement?

It has everything we need. I can't think of what we would want in the next release.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

The product is stable. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is easily scalable. We can configure a lot of features to stack and virtual links.

Technical support is great. they are helpful and responsive.

It's very easy to set up. It's not complicated at all.

It's a simple product and easy and low-cost to buy.

What other advice do I have?

We have a lot of products here in many versions, in different versions. We use OS 10 or OS 9. It's many different products here.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. I'd advise potential users to try it as it is easy to use.

Download our free LAN Switching Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Cisco, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more!
    Updated: September 2022