Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Their support is very fast when resolving our problems
  • "I can collect the target data, then we connect it to Commvault. There is not another system that can connect to our target database or target storage. This is very important for us, because there is the threat of malware right now. This can protect not only the product, but also the backup data from outside threats."
  • "I would like Commvault to have a feature for cybersecurity threats, e.g. securing the target backup repository. Commvault just started testing and releasing this feature, but it needs to be stabilized."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use Commvault as a backup solution.

I work as a system integrator. We implement and support Commvault in our customers' environments.

We usually deploy the latest major release.

How has it helped my organization?

We can monitor, with normal detection, from the regular backup. We can determine whether it is suspicious if the client suddenly has major changes in their data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the integration with the storage center and support for most applications, databases, and security system platforms that exist on the market.

The user interface for Commvault is quite user-friendly. It is easy to manage the Commvault environment using the user interface.

Commvault Command Center is fully supported and has many features for us to manage the environment.

Commvault is able to do the recovery process from their console, so we don't have to actually log into it. Also, Commvault can direct information to another server. The recovery option is a very good feature.

I can collect the target data, then we connect it to Commvault. There is not another system that can connect to our target database or target storage. This is very important for us, because there is the threat of malware right now. This can protect not only the product, but also the backup data from outside threats.

Commvault supports remote office backup. It backs up the local data, then keeps monitoring and managing it.

What needs improvement?

I would like Commvault to have a feature for cybersecurity threats, e.g. securing the target backup repository. Commvault just started testing and releasing this feature, but it needs to be stabilized.

Commvault Complete Data Protection
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Commvault Complete Data Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been implementing Commvault for our customers for around three years.

Commvault is very stable.

Commvault is very scalable in terms of the data that Commvault can maintain.

Commvault support is very good and helpful. We receive a lot of help for our problems.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The deployment of Commvault is pretty straightforward. Commvault can do remote installation for the client. The deployment time depends on the customer's or user's permissions.

One of my customers has seen savings when using Commvault compared to other storage solutions. They compared the price of Commvault with performing maintenance on their backup system, and Commvault's price is competitive versus other backup software.

Commvault helps our customers' admins to minimize the time they spend on backup tasks and other projects. Commvault is very good in terms of performance backup. I think support time has been reduced by around 25% to 30%.

Commvault is quite high in terms of pricing and licensing.

I have also worked with IBM Spectrum Protect and Veeam. Overall, Commvault has better support than other backups. Their support is very fast when resolving our problems.

My customers use dedupe applications, so we don't use Commvault's feature to reduce storage costs.

What other advice do I have?

Commvault is very feature-rich. Its licensing is quite easy to configure, though we must pick the right size for the backup environment so the customer can have the best price.

I would rate Commvault as eight out of 10.

Marditsa Daremas - PeerSpot reviewer
Services Manager at MTI Systems
It gets more user-friendly with each version
  • "We specialize in Commvault and IntelliSnap. Commvault covers all our customers' backup needs in one system, and they have complete control over their Snapshot backups. Snapshots are important to our customers because of the size of their data sets."
  • "Commvault is a rich system that might scare somebody the first time they see it because it feels so huge."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use all the Commvault modules related to data backup and protection.

How has it helped my organization?

From a real-life experience, I can say it cut down the time our customers spent on backup tasks by about 60 percent.

What is most valuable?

We specialize in Commvault and IntelliSnap. Commvault covers all our customers' backup needs in one system, and they have complete control over their Snapshot backups. Snapshots are important to our customers because of the size of their data sets. Data has become so big in recent years that traditional backup methods are no longer helpful. Commvault's interface gets more user-friendly with each version. Our customers really like it.

Commvault offers a lot of visibility into the data, which is something that adds great value to the solution. Its ability to work across cloud and on-premises environments are essential for us because our customers have mixed environments, and they want a single interface for managing data protection.

It also provides broad coverage by helping our customers identify unprotected workloads, which is helpful for customers with mixed and complex environments. Our enterprise customers often have systems from various manufacturers, or they've created silos that are connected through their protection system. I also know that Commvault has an excellent anti-ransomware feature, but I don't have any hands-on experience with it.

I've been using Commvault for seven years.

Commvault is very stable and mature.

Scalability was also not an issue. Every time we needed to scale the system for a customer, we could do it easily. On average, our clients are working with around 500 terabytes, and they're doing thousands of backup jobs on a daily basis.

I had no complaints, but I sometimes felt we needed more direct access to support instead of going through emails and an automated system. During emergencies, I would like to be able to pick up the phone and talk to somebody directly. Overall, I rate Commvault support eight out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Setting up Commvault was somewhat complex for the implementations we did. A lot of preparation went into setting up the hardware that would support CommVault and also the network. In total, it took us about three working days.

I have a little experience with Veeam, and that's about it. I've also worked with a few legacy products that might not exist anymore. One was called NetVault, I believe, or something like that. So far, I feel like CommVault is more of an enterprise solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Commvault 10 out of 10. It's full of features. Commvault is a rich system that might scare somebody the first time they see it because it feels so huge. There are thousands of options. On the other hand, if you understand the architecture and the logic behind it, it's the perfect way to do whatever you need. Because there are so many options, you will definitely find a way to address your needs. Everything is supported, and there is nothing it cannot do.

Commvault Complete Data Protection
November 2022
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable with good pricing and a reliable performance
  • "The diversity on offer is very, very good. Everything is supported. It's great."
  • "It would be a bit unfair to say that it's complex, due to the fact that it supports so many different workloads, however, if there's anything that is a bit of a shortcoming, then it's the fact that there's a bit of complexity involved when dealing with the product."

What is our primary use case?

I both use the solution myself and provide services to my clients using the product. Mainly, I use the product for virtual machine backup, Office 365 backup, file servers, SQL Service, Oracle, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

The diversity on offer is very, very good. Everything is supported. It's great.

The product has a very close partnership with Microsoft with regards to the current implementation, and always has the latest support - or, rather, the support for the latest iteration of software provided by Microsoft or Oracle. It's excellent in that sense.

The solution has been quite stable. It offers reliable performance.

The solution is very scalable.

The pricing is quite good. We have no complaints in that area.

What needs improvement?

It would be a bit unfair to say that it's complex, due to the fact that it supports so many different workloads, however, if there's anything that is a bit of a shortcoming, then it's the fact that there's a bit of complexity involved when dealing with the product.

It should be easier to implement for tech people. Right now, it's quite difficult.

I've been working with the solution for 16 years or so. It's been well over a decade. I've got a lot of years under my belt with it.

The stability of the product is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. There shouldn't be any issues.

We might have about 150 users on the solution currently.

We've been in touch with technical support many times. They're okay. Just good, not great.

Sometimes there are people, personnel, that are not that well educated. Sometimes I know more than the person I'm talking to and they are supposed to be helping me with technical problems. It's just not going to work.

The initial setup can but a bit complex. It can be a bit difficult to implement, even for someone with a good amount of experience.

We have about 10 engineers that can handle the deployment and maintenance aspects of the product.

The pricing is quite reasonable and more than fair. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are official partners with Commvault. I'm a consultant.

I would advise companies considering the solution to first check out a trial or a demo and to evaluate if it's the right solution for them. If you have a very diverse data center set up, then it's likely going to be good for you. They have a strong implementation of Office 365 backup capabilities. If a company is using 365, it's going to be quite useful.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's quite robust and already has all of the features we need. Of course, its level of diversity has been great. We're quite satisfied with it overall.

Vladan Kojanic - PeerSpot reviewer
Vladan KojanicProject Manager - Business Consultant at Comtrade System Integration
Top 10Real User

When scalability needs to be discussed, everyone tries to justify the price of a product. What generates the price and some future development is whether you will have to buy certain segments later, later in the implementation. What determines the advantage for some solutions for me is that I know that later I can use all the possibilities that a solution offers me without the necessary additional tools or licenses.

IT manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to deploy and maintain, stable, and delivers as promised
  • "It is easy to use and stable. It delivers what has been promised. When it says it can do something, it can actually do it, as opposed to some of its competitors."
  • "Its dashboard could be improved to provide a summarized version of all the jobs instead of having to go through each one of them. We should easily be able to glance at all issues. If I had not gone with the on-premise version, I would have had regular reports with the cloud version. It would be an advantage if they increase the compression rate of the backup. I am keeping it on-prem, so I'll need more disks depending on the policies that I have in the retention period. Its price could also be lower. If a good solution can be cheaper, it is always an advantage."

What is our primary use case?

I used it during a POC, and now, it is in production. We opted to go for the N minus one release and not the latest one.

We use it for the backup of servers. It is also used when users need to take a backup of their laptops or mail archiving.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and stable. It delivers what has been promised. When it says it can do something, it can actually do it, as opposed to some of its competitors.

What needs improvement?

Its dashboard could be improved to provide a summarized version of all the jobs instead of having to go through each one of them. We should easily be able to glance at all issues. If I had not gone with the on-premise version, I would have had regular reports with the cloud version.

It would be an advantage if they increase the compression rate of the backup. I am keeping it on-prem, so I'll need more disks depending on the policies that I have in the retention period.

I used this solution for six months.

It is stable. I haven't experienced any issues.

It is scalable. We have approximately 30 users, but we are also backing up the servers that everyone uses.

I have had one call with their technical support, and they were of great assistance. They were really approachable, and they were able to answer the questions.

We have been using NetBackup and Veeam. As compared to NetBackup, Commvault is an improvement. NetBackup licenses are expensive as compared to Commvault.

It was pretty straightforward. It took one day to do the installation and put all policies. It was really quick. I did the installation, deployed the agents, and started using it for testing. After successful tests, we decided to go with the solution.

I was accompanied by our business partner, but its implementation was pretty straightforward.

Its maintenance is really easy to do because you have everything in the console. It can be managed by one technical person. It doesn't require much. Because it is stable, there is not much to be done. You just need to enter the jobs that have been run and completed successfully. Every now and then, you might also do a restore.

It is cheaper than NetBackup, but its price can be lower. If a good solution can be cheaper, it is always an advantage. Its licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Commvault a nine out of ten.

Kelly Page - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Database Administrator at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Automates backups, provides quick restores, and reduces our backup administration
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability it gives me to automate backups well and consistently, and to follow up on them as well. It also provides consistent recovery processes. Whenever we have needed to do a restore, it has worked quickly and efficiently."
  • "There are two ways to use it and I prefer the web-based one over the app. I wish they were a little bit more matched in what they offer because the features aren't as available in the web-based interface as they are in the app."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for backing up the database of our Microsoft People server system.

How has it helped my organization?

Commvault has saved us time in managing our backup and restore processes, as well as backup management. It has definitely made our backup administration more efficient.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability it gives me to automate backups well and consistently, and to follow up on them as well. It also provides consistent recovery processes. Whenever we have needed to do a restore, it has worked quickly and efficiently.

The completeness of Commvault's coverage for databases is also pretty good. It covers all the bases with the major databases that we utilize within an enterprise.

I also like it because it's pretty easy to use and that it is pretty reliable. The user interface for managing it is good.

In addition, it auto-discovers the databases and that means lower maintenance on my side for individual database configuration.

What needs improvement?

There are two ways to use it and I prefer the web-based one over the app. I wish they were a little bit more matched in what they offer because the features aren't as available in the web-based interface as they are in the app.

I have been using the Commvault solution for about two years.

It's pretty stable.

It seems to be scalable. I'm not really involved in that side, being a user and not an administrator of it, but I know that they've had to add on and do upgrades to it. It seems to be working well. I haven't seen any disruption from that.

I use my internal company support team and they reach out to Commvault as necessary.

We were using Dell EMC NetWorker. We switched due to bad support and because we were having lots of issues. They were also slow in keeping up with the technology.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I would give Commvault a thumbs-up. Make sure your people are involved in the procurement process so that they understand what it offers, and be sure to do PoC testing. But that's generic to any implementation.

Because my work with Commvault isn't necessarily technical in nature, it's more process-oriented, people in a similar situation should work closely with their administrators to make sure the admins understand what they need to do. The problems that we have with it are mostly to do with internal workflow.

The Command Center for getting a view of your data is okay. We have some internal issues with the way that the people who manage the system display things to us and give us access to certain things. But otherwise, it's okay.

Lobna Alkomy - PeerSpot reviewer
Backup & Recovery Section Head at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable with a straightforward setup and good performance
  • "The solution is very stable and offers a good level of performance."
  • "The product could be more convenient in terms of working with different solutions and having more integration between the different products in the market."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using the backup email feature with the hypervisor backup on VMware. I'm also working with different databases.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution is very stable and offers a good level of performance.

The product can scale if a company needs it to.

We've noticed that technical support has recently gotten much better.

What needs improvement?

We've had issues with the solution not restoring certain environments. There also issues we find when we want to restore, for example, a cloud environment.

The product could be more convenient in terms of working with different solutions and having more integration between the different products in the market. It really should integrate better with, for example, VMware or Nutanix or Hyper-V. It would be really, really helpful if that were the case.

I've dealt with the solution for the last three years or so.

The product has been stable. There are no bugs or glitches. So far, it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is good.

The product can scale if a company needs it to. It does have the potential to expand as needed.

In our company, we have about 1,300 people using it.

When I started to work with Commvault product, it wasn't very good, however, there has been a huge development in service. Their support is now working fine. They're much more helpful and professional. They've come a long way. We're satisfied with the progress they've made.

I have also worked with other products, such as NetBackup and Veeam.

The pricing is a place where they all vary. While Commvault is cheaper than Veeam, it's more expensive than NetBackup.

The initial setup is not overly difficult or complex. It's simple. It's straightforward.

I'm unsure as to how many people are required to maintain the solution. It's not an aspect of the product that falls under my responsibility.

The solution isn't the cheapest. It's also not the most expensive. It's basically somewhere in the middle. However, it's a fine price. It's what you would expect to pay for a full solution. That said, for some environments, it could be considered a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers.

I would advise those considering the solution, that, if they use it in conjunction with Nutanix, there may be some limitations. You can't back up, for example, on Nutanix and restore things to Veeam or other environments.

That said, we're mostly satisfied with the solution. I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten.

Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Scales well, but it is expensive and they need better marketing development and support in India
  • "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "When we send a query to Commvault, they take a long time to answer our questions."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service and solution provider, and we use Commvault to secure our client's data. Our motto of security is to secure the data and using this is very important. We are providing services to commercial and financial companies, so our data is critical.

We have two options for backing up data. We have a DR site, and we can also back it up on-premises.

What needs improvement?

This is a very technical solution that I would like to see Commvault offer customer support and marketing development resources in India. To my understanding, there is no marketing development team in India and we face problems when we speak with Commvault about these things.

When we send a query to Commvault, they take a long time to answer our questions. It can be very difficult to contact the Commvault team. Whenever we try to contact them, we are transferred to other distributors.

We have been using Commvault for the past full year.

Commvault is a stable product.

This solution is scalable, and we have more than 5,000 users that are using SAN services.

We don't require technical support or customer support from Commvault, as we have a dedicated team for the product.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The deployment was done in-house.

We have a dedicated Commvault team of 25 members. We have a test area, where Commvault and other products are tested. We have, for example, the Commvault test cases, data center test cases, computer testing, hyper-converged facilities, and more.

In India, this is a very expensive product.

We have not evaluated other options, as we are focusing on Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

When we first started using Commvault, we had many problems. They were on a daily basis and including things like data access and data loads. At this point, we are no longer facing problems.

This is a product that I might recommend, although it depends on the scenario.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

System Engineer at Darva
Easy to use, easy to deploy, and easy to update
  • "Commvault is a very stable product."
  • "I think there is room for improvement with the reports. They are a little poor."

What is most valuable?

Commvault is easy to use, easy to deploy, and easy to update.

What needs improvement?

I think there is room for improvement with the reports. They are a little poor. There is a lot of room for customization with Commvault, but we have not done that, so the reports do not work the best for us.

We have virtualization, but sometimes some virtual machines are not backed up.

For us, a system ransomware scenario would be a good solution. This would help us not be nervous about our backup solution if we experience a ransomware attack.

We have been using Commvault for seven years, since 2014.

Commvault is a very stable product.

We are using VMware for virtualization every day. The issue with scalability that Commvault has is that any modifications in virtualization that we make have a direct impact on it.

We do not have a problem with scalability, but I think if we had to restore a large scale of information, it would be a problem because of the time we would have to spend restoring all of our virtual machines. However, we could backup as many as a 1,000 virtual machines very easily.

Commvault's technical support is good. However, because I am French and not a native speaker, I have a hard time understanding tech support specialists that are from India.

Before Commvault, we used a French solution. It had issues with backups and was very bad. We had to migrate before we encountered a bigger problem.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Commvault helped us with the migration. A two-person team was involved in the deployment from our end, a system engineer and a hardware engineer.

Commvault is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a good solution for cloud backup.

Download our free Commvault Complete Data Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022