IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

CloudPassage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Cloud Workload Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is CloudPassage?

CloudPassage Halo is an agile security and compliance platform that works in any cloud infrastructure: public, private or hybrid. The platform is unique because it provides continuous visibility and enforcement delivered as a service, so it’s on-demand, fast to deploy, fully automated and works at any scale.

The CloudPassage platform delivers a comprehensive set of security and compliance features, so you don’t have pay for and manage point solutions that often don’t integrate well with each other. Hundreds of companies use CloudPassage as a strategy to take full advantage of the business benefits of their cloud investments, with the confidence that critical business assets are protected. Using CloudPassage, security organizations achieve 6 critical control objectives with a platform that is flexible, fast and scalable:

Visibility: Immediate, consistent, continuous knowledge of what assets exist, where they reside, and what they’re doing.

Strong Access Control: Strong, layered controls enabling authorized access & denial of resources to unauthorized entities.

Vulnerability Management: Continuous detection & elimination of issues that create exploitable points of weakness.

Data Protection: Assurance that critical data is encrypted & used appropriately by authorized entities while in motion or at rest.

Compromise Management: Capabilities that enable detection & response to malicious or accidental compromise of resources.

Operational Automation: Day-to-day management of technologies & processes that ensure security & compliance.

CloudPassage was previously known as CloudPassage Halo.

CloudPassage Customers
Citrix
CloudPassage Video

Archived CloudPassage Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user854058 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Information Security Engineer
It helped us be more aware of what our security posture is, but not all of the features work in my environment
  • "Key features are the Software Vulnerability Assessment and the CSM, which is the configuration check."
  • "Anything outside of the software vulnerability management and the CSM, things like the GhostPort, need some improvement. The dashboard is in beta. It looks really good, I wish it would come out of beta."
  • "In the CSM module the policies are really hard to work with it. It is not very flexible at all. I would suggest that they change that. Right now, the scan is based on the group that the server is in. What happens if the server is in multiple groups?"
  • "Of all the advertised functions, I only find two things that really work in my environment, even though I wanted to use all of them. They're not flexible enough to be used."

What is our primary use case?

Compliance, vulnerabilities verification.

How has it helped my organization?

Our scores let us know when to trigger workflow to go out in a patch. It has reduced the amount of time we had to take to manually verify software and check our updates. It helped us be more aware of what our security posture is. We use the vulnerability scores to verify that we are doing the right thing by our servers.

What is most valuable?

The Software Vulnerability Assessment and the CSM, which is the configuration check.

What needs improvement?

Anything outside of the software vulnerability management and the CSM, things like the GhostPort, need some improvement. The dashboard is in beta. It looks really good, I wish it would come out of beta. Also, in the CSM module the policies are really hard to work with it. It is not very flexible at all. I would suggest that they change that. Right now, the scan is based on the group that the server is in. What happens if the server is in multiple groups?
Cloud Workload Security
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about CloudPassage, Check Point, Illumio and others in Cloud Workload Security. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Once in a while it's kind of slow but it doesn't crash on me or anything like that.

CloudPassage is doing fine on scalability.

Awesome, actually. I have been very happy with tech support.

I wasn't using a different solution. We were just using in-house scripting. We wanted to reduce our overhead so we went with CloudPassage.

It's pretty straightforward.

I would rate the pricing value at about a six or seven out of 10, because I can't use all the functions. Of all the advertised functions, I only find two things that really work in my environment, even though I wanted to use all of them. They're not flexible enough to be used. CloudPassage is a little bit on the expensive side. So my suggestion is that the company lower its price point a wee bit or sell modules, separate them in modules, because I only find two things that are useful to me, yet I pay for four or five modules. It didn't seem like it was a fair deal.

We tested CloudPassage against Dome9, and we tried using a combination of AWS with CloudInspect. We also look at Evident.io and Alert Logic.

What other advice do I have?

I would say CloudPassage is very useful for certain things. If you just want a few modules then focus on what you need and negotiate the price based on the individual module, rather than looking at the whole thing, because I didn't find all the modules very useful. Also, use Splunk in combination with it if you want reporting. I would give CloudPassage at least a seven out of 10. I rate it on the high-end because of the customer support - I've never seen any support that is comparable to that, it's very good, excellent. The support staff actually care, they actually follow up; it's very nice. And CloudPassage really listens to its customers. The product itself is very nice if you're only looking to check off your compliance requirements, but if you're looking for more of dashboarding and things like that, CloudPassage is improving but it's not quite there.
Information Security Analyst at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​CloudPassage has a bunch of features. Be sure you understand all of them and how to extract value to your organization.
  • "Policies are very easy to manage on a day-to-day basis."
  • "The reports and graphs are unintuitive."

What is most valuable?

Policies are very easy to manage on a day-to-day basis. With few clicks in their cloud management portal, you can implement and change security policies in thousand of servers. This feature allowed us to implement changes in our environment much faster.

How has it helped my organization?

Before CloudPassage, the management of security policies in our servers was painful and time-consuming. CloudPassage allowed us to implement changes that affected hundred of servers within our environments in seconds.

What needs improvement?

The reports and graphs are unintuitive. Also, there is no feature or CloudPassage tool that facilitates the implementation of the agents. We had to use third-party software to implement and update the agents.

Eight months, approximately.

No. It was easy to scale our CloudPassage implementation from a few servers to hundreds.

Excellent. We had several contacts with CP team during our implementation and their fast-response and attention to us were appreciated.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. As soon as we had policies configured, we only had to install Halo agents on our servers and everything was ready to work.

I cannot help with this.

We also evaluated VMware NSX, but the pricing and features available in a CloudPassage implementation were decisive in deciding to go with CP.

What other advice do I have?

CloudPassage has a bunch of features. Be sure you understand all of them and how to extract value to your organization. In addition, make sure you have a reliable software deployment tool or the agent deployment can be burdensome.

Download our free Cloud Workload Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about CloudPassage, Check Point, Illumio, and more!
Updated: June 2022