We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Carbonite Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Carbonite Server is #19 ranked solution in top Cloud Backup tools and #37 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Carbonite Server an average rating of 8 out of 10. Carbonite Server is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup for Office 365: Carbonite Server vs Veeam Backup for Office 365. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Carbonite Server?

Carbonite Server securely replicates data to the local backup server while securing a second copy in the cloud. Granular restore and local failover options ensure rapid recovery and minimal data loss. With integrated hardware and cloud failover for critical systems, Carbonite Server provides reliable data protection.

Carbonite Server was previously known as Carbonite Recover Backup.

Download the Cloud Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Carbonite Server Customers

INLINE Commercial Construction, Hamilton County

Carbonite Server Video

Carbonite Server Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Carbonite Server pricing:
  • "The pricing is between $120 and $150 per year."
  • "Its price is reasonable."
  • Carbonite Server Reviews

Sr. Solutions Architect / Technical Account Engineer Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Granular Restore feature has been a lifesaver, but the support for object storage isn't quite there yet
    • "The Granular Restore of SQL feature has been a lifesaver more times than I can count. One of the main reasons for looking at Carbonite was their support for platforms like AIX and AS/400 Series."
    • "The support for object storage isn't quite there yet. Its public cloud support can be improved. I would love to see the public cloud support for object storage, and it would be great, but what I always hear from the folks at Carbonite is that in a lot of cases, it directly competes with their cloud offering. So, I don't know when or where that will go or if that will go anywhere, but we are hopeful to see something. The dashboard is a little outdated. If they gave it a facelift and put some better design around their dashboard, that would be tremendous. I generally care less about the visual aesthetics of an application as long as it does what it needed to do, which is true in the case of this solution. We also have the Microsoft 365 platform. Because they're two separate platforms, I have to log in to my Microsoft platform to manage it, and I have to log into my Carbonite server backup platform to manage it. Having these two coexist together in one management console is really what we're looking for, but we went for it knowing this. We also knew that there would be some integration coming down the road. So, we're again hoping to see some of that coming in 2021."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Carbonite Server Backup to protect my VMware, vSphere, and vSAN configuration, which is a 7.0 vSAN 4 node cluster. It provides application consistency and data protection for my virtual environment, but most importantly, it also protects my complex servers. We have a hybrid deployment. It is deployed on the cloud as well as on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The Granular Restore of SQL feature has been a lifesaver more times than I can count. One of the main reasons for looking at Carbonite was their support for platforms like AIX and AS/400 Series.

What needs improvement?

The support for object storage isn't quite there yet. Its public cloud support can be improved. I would love to see the public cloud support for object storage, and it would be great, but what I always hear from the folks at Carbonite is that in a lot of cases, it directly competes with their cloud offering. So, I don't know when or where that will go or if that will go anywhere, but we are hopeful to see something.

The dashboard is a little outdated. If they gave it a facelift and put some better design around their dashboard, that would be tremendous. I generally care less about the visual aesthetics of an application as long as it does what it needed to do, which is true in the case of this solution.

We also have the Microsoft 365 platform. Because they're two separate platforms, I have to log in to my Microsoft platform to manage it, and I have to log into my Carbonite server backup platform to manage it. Having these two coexist together in one management console is really what we're looking for, but we went for it knowing this. We also knew that there would be some integration coming down the road. So, we're again hoping to see some of that coming in 2021.

I have been using this solution for the better part of a year now.

So far, so good. We've currently protected about 35 terabytes with them. Every now and again, we get a hiccup or two, but it is usually to do with the volume shadow copy services.

It has been pretty easy for us to manage. We have four users. Two of us are in it on a day-to-day basis. My manager checks on it every now and then.

I had to interface with their technical support only once. It wasn't a bad experience. I wouldn't grade it as an outstanding experience either. There are certain things that you have to go through in their tier one to finally solve your problem.

We also have a technical account engineer assigned to our account. Because we have that technical account engineer assigned to our account from their customer success team, it has made things much easier for us in trying to solve issues when they come up.

It was straightforward. It is not too hard to install an application these days. However, there were just a couple of things that took us a while to figure out.

As we were going through this transition and installing and configuring everything, we noticed that the documentation wasn't really publicly available on the web. That has changed since then, and it has made things tremendously easier for us when searching for how to set up an API call to pull a report. The documentation was there. It is just you had to log into Salesforce, and then you had to go find the document. Now it is all searchable in the knowledge base on their public website.

We used professional services from Carbonite.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. We've had a really good experience with it so far. We've already gone through an audit to leverage their platform to actually clear that audit. The reason for purchasing professional services from them wasn't necessarily because we needed assistance in installing it. It was more because of the documentation of the environment after it is installed, which bodes very well for organizations like ours where you've got regulatory compliance that you have to adhere to.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that you should know different types of backups before you start implementing them because there are so many.

I would rate Carbonite Server a seven out of ten just because there are things that we would like it to do.

President at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Cloud-based backup and restore that does not slow your computer down
    • "It does not slow down your computer or use a lot of resources as it works."
    • "Technical support handled all our issues quickly and effectively."
    • "It seems reliable and easy to use."
    • "They do not yet have USB recovery but they are adding it in coming releases."

What is our primary use case?

I use Carbonite for our cloud backups. It backs up my computers including the documents and key programs. Really, I have only had to use it a couple of times to restore computers or transfer everything to another computer one time. It has done the job reliably and without any surprises.

What is most valuable?

This product has an automatic simplicity to it. It does not slow down the computer and stays light on the resources.

What needs improvement?

I read that Carbonite may be switching to USB restoral and recovery media. That would definitely be something that I want to make sure is true and probably could make use of.

I think I may have even been using Carbonite Server from before 2010, but it has been at least ten years.

I would not really know how to judge stability. It has been efficient for us as a small business and we have not experienced any obvious misfires.

We currently have three staff members in our organization using Carbonite Server. We are not really putting scalability to the test and probably will not as far as the number of users in the near future.

We rarely had to use technical support in the entire time that I have used the product. It is rare that I have had to use it, but the couple of times that I did, our issues were handled quickly and effectively.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, I guess. We did not need to use an integrator or consultant for the deployment and we were able to manage that ourselves.

I think the pricing is between $120 and $150 per year. I do not remember exactly off the top of my head, but it is within that range.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I have for people looking into using Carbonite Server is that it seems reliable and easy to use. I would recommend it if you need this kind of solution.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Carbonite Server as a nine or even a ten-out-of-ten. That may be because I am not an expert in this type of solution, but it does everything I expect it to and does not get in the way while doing it. I am very happy with it.

Find out what your peers are saying about OpenText, Veeam Software, Zerto and others in Cloud Backup. Updated: January 2022.
    564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Service Level Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Reasonable price and useful for easy verification, but their marketing department should provide better information
    • "Easy verification of things is the most valuable feature."
    • "The only thing that I would like to see improved is related to marketing. Currently, it is very difficult to find the right paper and stuff for me. Their marketing department should provide better information because currently, it is very difficult to find information on the internet. It was bought over by OpenText, and you won't be able to find a lot of information about this solution on their site. They should also provide training facilities for commercial purposes. Some of my colleagues recently went for pilot training, and they were technical. If I want to get trained, the training has to be more commercial. Currently, there is no such training for users like me."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed service provider. We provide backup as a service to our customers. We use Carbonite for our customers.

What is most valuable?

Easy verification of things is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I would like to see improved is related to marketing. Currently, it is very difficult to find the right paper and stuff for me. Their marketing department should provide better information because currently, it is very difficult to find information on the internet. It was bought over by OpenText, and you won't be able to find a lot of information about this solution on their site.

They should also provide training facilities for commercial purposes. Some of my colleagues recently went for pilot training, and they were technical. If I want to get trained, the training has to be more commercial. Currently, there is no such training for users like me.

I have been using this solution for three years.

I was using FieldCloud. When you have to restore it, Carbonite takes a lot of time.

Its price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Carbonite Server a seven out of ten.